PDA

View Full Version : Shield Blocking Made More Responsive

Ganak
04-07-2009, 07:38 AM
"Shield blocking has been made more responsive following attacks."

Potentially a very nice improvement for the S&B crowd. I am curious about this and I don't believe it has been talked about in any detail.

Borror0
04-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Not much to say, honestly. We'll have to wait and test it out.

Lithic
04-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Hopefully it means you can block when you see a mob animation, and still have time to swing a few times in between.

Eladrin
04-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Instead of needing to wait until the "follow through" completes, you'll be able to abort into shield block earlier. It's still not as instantaneous as I would like, but we're going to continue working on improving the feel and utility of shield blocking.

Aeneas
04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
That is awesome. :D

Borror0
04-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Instead of needing to wait until the "follow through" completes, you'll be able to abort into shield block earlier. It's still not as instantaneous as I would like, but we're going to continue working on improving the feel and utility of shield blocking.
Sounds great!

On a related topic, I got two questions:

Would you happen to have any more good news for S&B users?
Will the same tech being applied to Smite Evil, Intimidate and the like in the near future? I know that delay annoys you to no end too (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=1659952#post1659952).;)

rimble
04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
It's much appreciated, even if you're not S&B. Going into block mode prevents Minotaur knockdown, Giant knockdown, and some other things...was getting pretty ticked off in Gwylan's Stand last night...it takes FOREVER to go into block mode...those Minotaurs would spend five seconds rubbing their feet on the ground getting ready to charge and I still couldn't get into block mode fast enough if I had just been attacking.

Borror0
04-07-2009, 09:52 AM
[...] those Minotaurs would spend five seconds rubbing their feet on the ground getting ready to charge and I still couldn't get into block mode fast enough if I had just been attacking.
I usually jump over them as they come.

Ustice
04-07-2009, 09:59 AM

I

LOVE

YOU!

Seriously, this is something that I have wanted in DDO since I have started playing. It would make shield use more skill-based. I can't wait to play with this.

Eladrin
04-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Sounds great!

On a related topic, I got two questions:

Would you happen to have any more good news for S&B users?
Will the same tech being applied to Smite Evil, Intimidate and the like in the near future? I know that delay annoys you to no end too (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=1659952#post1659952).;)

Codog got some magic in very late in the cycle to improve "active attack" response times, but I don't think it made it in for Mod 9.

It's much appreciated, even if you're not S&B. Going into block mode prevents Minotaur knockdown, Giant knockdown, and some other things...was getting pretty ticked off in Gwylan's Stand last night...it takes FOREVER to go into block mode...those Minotaurs would spend five seconds rubbing their feet on the ground getting ready to charge and I still couldn't get into block mode fast enough if I had just been attacking.
It should be much easier to react to these things, but like I said before, still not perfect. Still working on it.

Minotaurs got a couple of mental fixes as well, as they were one of the creatures I was testing this with and some of their behavioral quirks annoyed me. Tumbling out of their way works well now too - they no longer "track" while their looking down.

rimble
04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I usually jump over them as they come.

Said character has no "ups".

rimble
04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Minotaurs got a couple of mental fixes as well, as they were one of the creatures I was testing this with and some of their behavioral quirks annoyed me. Tumbling out of their way works well now too - they no longer "track" while their looking down.

No kidding! Probably not a big deal, but every little tweak makes the game more refined. :)

Borror0
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Codog got some magic in very late in the cycle to improve "active attack" response times, but I don't think it made it in for Mod 9.
Either way, this is good news. Thank Codog for me when you go feed him.

Still on the sane topic, I have heard that Quickdraw lowers the delay for the activation of Intimidate. Is this true and is this intended?

Borror0
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Said character has no "ups".
I could not imagine playing a character without a good jump skill. I would go insane.

moorewr
04-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I could not imagine playing a character without a good jump skill. I would go insane.

QFT - I didn't realize the need to keep jump high on my first character - a cleric of course, so in plate he could barely hop. Oh the frustration...

Angelus_dead
04-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Be warned that if you improve it too much, it could call for a nerf to the amount of blocking DR (possibly compensated by a small increase to the +2 AC)

Some monsters less than once per second, and it would be improper for a player to have DR 30 against them just because he's using a button rhythm.

Deathseeker
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Minotaurs got a couple of mental fixes as well, as they were one of the creatures I was testing this with and some of their behavioral quirks annoyed me.

I think you should use Air Elementals to test with :p

PhoenixFire31
04-07-2009, 10:21 AM

It should be much easier to react to these things, but like I said before, still not perfect. Still working on it.

No more heat seeking minotaurs?! YIPPIE!!!!! :D

sephiroth1084
04-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I think you should use Air Elementals to test with :p

YES! YES! YES! YES!

Then, maybe we'll get some changes made to them...

Lifespawn
04-07-2009, 04:07 PM

why does shield blocking in pvp allow full dr even if they are behind you but in gameplay if they are not directly infront of you or if they cleave and their weapon goes behind you the DR does not work?

Kaish
04-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Hello,

Can we get a faster Tumbling reaction time as well? It is extremely hard to tumble in combat at the moment.

Thank you