PDA

View Full Version : Help! Improved Shield Bash?

Joseph
04-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Did I miss the joke, or perhaps I made an honest mistake?

Improved Shield Bash
Shield Mastery

I just ran a new character into a pile of Kobolds, just to test these two feats...

Improved Shield Bash - allows you to keep your shield bonus when bashing - so I suppose there are a few ways to read this feat, but 'I' read it to mean, my shield bonus (which is what, exactly, now that I have tested it?). Let's say, in the case of my tower shield, I have +4 AC from the shield, and a total of DR 10 when blocking. When I shield bash, I get hit, and no DR comes into effect. So I am a little confused at the moment. What exactly DOES this feat do - give me the inherent +2 AC from blocking that all shields do? If that is the case, then this is a completely worthless feat in DDO (sure, in D&D it might be nice, but here?).

Shield Mastery - increases the blocking ability of a shield significantly - I was happy with the numbers. With Dwarven Shield Mastery enhancement I was getting DR 10 blocking with a tower. Great. Fantastic - I was liking this.

The catch is - when a monster was flanking me - even just barely off center, I would take hits without my shield block bonus.

I am a little lost on that one. Even when I was fighting ONE monster and it moved (as Kobolds do) just a LITTLE off to one side, I started taking damage. Is there something special I need to do, or is that just the way it is?

In Short... I have found (from my perspective, at least) that shield blocking is VERY situational, and that it does very, very little to help you out when in combat. If I am wrong, or partially wrong, or even if you have experience with this and can add your wisdom, please do so, as it seems to me at least the shield bash feat is not working as intended. Being able to maintain DR 10 past level 8 when fighting (even DR 15) - assuming you were running cheese and block/bash the whole time, it would still not be very good, but at least it would be workable. As it appears now, wow - terrible.

Thanks in advance :)

Borror0
04-07-2009, 08:22 AM
What exactly DOES this feat do - give me the inherent +2 AC from blocking that all shields do?
Allows you to keep your shield bonus to AC (and the +2 bonus for blocking too, if I recall). That's all.

You keep the DR whether you have the feat or not.

If that is the case, then this is a completely worthless feat in DDO (sure, in D&D it might be nice, but here?).
All in all, it's a pretty darn useless feat. "Shield bashing is underpowered" is an horrendous understatement.

I am a little lost on that one. Even when I was fighting ONE monster and it moved (as Kobolds do) just a LITTLE off to one side, I started taking damage. Is there something special I need to do, or is that just the way it is?
I am as lost as you are, if not more. I never really had that problem before. Maybe I just did not notice it or unconsciously turned to always face the mob.

In Short... I have found (from my perspective, at least) that shield blocking is VERY situational, and that it does very, very little to help you out when in combat.
That's a very accurate conclusion.

The Llama Module 9 release notes contain this:

Shield blocking has been made more responsive following attacks.
Hopefully, it will be good enough to allow us to block hit in response to swings- but that is more wishful thinking than being realistic.

Being able to maintain DR 10 past level 8 when fighting (even DR 15) - assuming you were running cheese and block/bash the whole time, it would still not be very good, but at least it would be workable.
You might want to check the wiki's DR page (http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/DR) for how active DR is calculated.

My intimitank has a DR of 33, if I remember.

Joseph
04-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Thank ypu for the input. Much appreciated.