PDA

View Full Version : I am happy it is a new dawn for Wounding of Puncturing Online: Stormreach

Invalid_82
04-07-2009, 03:28 AM
It was way beyond time for a change. We will see how it balances out, but hopefully the game will once again need dps for more then just red/purple names. Both type of builds working together would be very welcome by me as I am bored to death of everything being killed instantly by stat busting. The new content would be the same if they didnt change it. I look forward to seeing how it works out.

Joseph
04-07-2009, 03:47 AM
da

AussieEngineer
04-07-2009, 03:59 AM
The thing is, they didn't nerf WoP... they nerfed any stat damage at all....across the board by any source.

valorik
04-07-2009, 04:01 AM
The thing is, they didn't nerf WoP... they nerfed any stat damage at all....across the board by any source.

they only changed con damage, made everything else better

AussieEngineer
04-07-2009, 04:04 AM
they only changed con damage, made everything else better

I was referring to regenerating ability damage (and of course neg levels), in tandem with the Con nerf.
Both of these things equate to a nerf on any kind of ability damage.

The con change just exacerbates it.l

Ikuryo
04-07-2009, 05:26 AM
Actually I'm wondering if the stat and level regen affect the monsters. It does not say whether it does or not. A monster regaining a lost level in 2 minutes means its normally dead by then. Same goes for stat regen, most mobs don't last more then a short time once the players start beating on them.

I'm thinking this will mostly help players as the clerics will need to spend less sp removing stat and level loss.

Mirta
04-07-2009, 05:39 AM
It was way beyond time for a change. We will see how it balances out, but hopefully the game will once again need dps for more then just red/purple names. Both type of builds working together would be very welcome by me as I am bored to death of everything being killed instantly by stat busting. The new content would be the same if they didnt change it. I look forward to seeing how it works out.

Of course you're happy. You never had any WoPs. Gotta love your type: always complaining about the stuff you don't have so other people have to suffer too.

Rog
04-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Of course you're happy. You never had any WoPs. Gotta love your type: always complaining about the stuff you don't have so other people have to suffer too.

pulled my first wop +3 short sword about 4 months ago then i pulled a wop light repeater traded my shortsword for 5 large scales and made a lighting 2 repeater then i traded my wop light repeater for 3 large scales and finished my raidance 2 rapier. the true rezz clicky nerf hurts not a bigger i will buy them if they are for sell.
Yup i wish i knew i still have a wop light repeater and dagger they was great trade items now maldroit of bone breaking is prob better

Kalanth
04-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Actually I'm wondering if the stat and level regen affect the monsters. It does not say whether it does or not. A monster regaining a lost level in 2 minutes means its normally dead by then. Same goes for stat regen, most mobs don't last more then a short time once the players start beating on them.

I'm thinking this will mostly help players as the clerics will need to spend less sp removing stat and level loss.

I thought the same thing. There is not enough information to support that the stat dmg regenerates for monsters so I am going to assume no for now. Besides, how many monsters do you know that last more than a minute when we are fighting them?

Invalid_82
04-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Hey Mirta, you don't know my type because you don't know me at all tbh. But I am in no way speaking about us vs. them when it comes to the matter of WoP.

I have spent the last few mods wracking up a billion kills with my twf barbarian stat busting everything in sight for the most part same as everyone else with various builds. Yes the wounding is the icing on the cake but any old puncturing is way more then enough to make it god mode against non boss mobs. I realize the side of the coin that people worked hard and probably paid a lot to acquire these items and that is relivant as well on an individual level. What about the game as a whole though?

The weapons themselves and the builds that use them I am sure will still be a very important part of a successful quest completion; though not the god-mode only requirment until the boss fight that currently exists. DPS builds/classes need a place as well beyond boss fighting and joining in the stat busting fest of the current game. Can the devs make this work? That remains to be seen - if they do it well it may be a good thing for the game. But I do feel change was needed either way. Again no us vs. them type bs, I'm just stating my honest opinion. In the end it may bring some irrelevenat builds back out of retirement. I know I am excited to finally dust off my old school 2handed wf barb that may finally have a use again after a very long period of being dead-weight unless I speced him to piercing and gave him puncturing rapiers to get some kills. If the entire melee non-boss game is focused around a single prefix and suffix how can that be a good/fun/interesting thing? We needed something to change. Those that paid highly for their WoP's get hurt the most and I do feel compassion for that, but my hopes is the game will be better for it.

...v...
04-07-2009, 06:45 AM

Yeah lets all rejoyce now we can sit there and dps mobs down with 10000hp its a great day.

Aspenor
04-07-2009, 06:46 AM
i look forward to falling asleep at my keyboard DPS'ing monsters with thousands of hit points.:rolleyes:

Deriaz
04-07-2009, 06:54 AM
If you fall asleep from playing a game, you might want to go to a doctor and get checked for narcolepsy. I would.

I don't think it'll be a problem. Sure, they don't instantly die, but now they get stunned, which means auto crits for everyone that attacks that enemy. (Melee/Ranged only? Never been a spellcaster when I see stuff stunned.) That means a LOT more damage, if you all are focused on the same enemies instead of all over the place.

It'll add challenge, too. No more walking right through a dungeon; groups may actually need a strategy. Stun the Cleric/Wizard with stat damage, while others take out the rangers, while someone rounds up the melee and keeps them busy. I see lots of people talking about wanting more challenge added to the game. Yet when challenge might be added to the game, people get into an uproar.

And yes, I don't have a Wounding of Puncturing or anything "uber" like that. No Shroud weapon. Best thing that ever got handed to me as a gift was a +2 Vorpal Battleaxe, which I rarely use. (I like my Icy Burst of Strength Sapping. Or whatever that fancy term is for the one that ticks STR down by one each hit (or was it crit?)) The best thing I've ever looted was a collapsed portable hole. Yet if I had a Wounding of Puncturing, I wouldn't be complaining until I actually saw the mod in effect. . . Better than throwing around complaints and threats of leaving the game, in my opinion.

-D

Invalid_82
04-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Asp and ...v... that is the exact thing I hope they dialed in with this mod. Not making it a snorefest of beating down a super inflated hp monster but at the same time while that is one extreme the WoP is the other extreme. If you are not constantly charging to the next mob you will quickly be left behind because the mobs themselves are speedbumps along the way, blink and you'll miss them with stat busting going on. A huge powerful giant - he may as well be a midget about to get pounded out by Arnie cause that is what he is against a WoP or 2, even just a Punc.

If done well it will bring the two build types together to interdepend on each other and give everyone something to do. DPS will be there to punch down (hopefully) a balanced hp pool once the stat busters have deflated it to a level that dps can do their thing and neutrilized their offensive capablities. If that is done well then I think PvE will be more fun than it has been in too long!! I would like to see the balance where if the fast hitting, high ac/intimidate guys with their tatctics and deadly weapons dont get in there to control that mess then when the artillery (ala wf with no body feat) go in there to punish they are dealing with some actual mean big hp baddies like the monster should be heading into the top levels of this game and are a threat to their low ac high dpsing ways.

Right now dps grabs some stat busting of their own or they do virtually nothing all the way to the boss.

Ustice
04-07-2009, 07:01 AM
i look forward to falling asleep at my keyboard DPS'ing monsters with thousands of hit points.:rolleyes:

WoP will still be quite useful. First, mobs will lose 1 hp per hit die for every 2 points of con lost. Secondly, once they hit 0 you get auto-crits. On top of that we will have a stun effect on them. What effect this will have remains to be seen, but it does mean that they should at least stand still for a little.

On top of that we can apply these effects to RED mobs even! No more blanket immunity to star damage. For the harder ones we will have to keep hitting them with it since stat damage recovers.

I don't think that we will see much of a difference in mob lifespan. Melée toons knock them to 0 con then clerics and rogues clean up. Dreamspitter will be even MORE popular I think.

Galacticus
04-07-2009, 07:06 AM
You obviously don't know how to play a 2wf Barb. I know the Best player in the game with that build and he can definitely compete with the best of them. And if you had wop you wouldn't be posting about how great it is that it's nerfed, cause you realize the importance of them when going again GOD-LIKE HPs. You're just another jealous cry baby who's been wishing for a wop and now can breathe a sigh of relief cause he'll be able to add a few more kills to the kill count.
WOP was a solution to an every increasing problem: MOB HPs. I really don't like spending
hours in a quest that can be done in 15 min. But the nerf has brought an older tactic to the surface on quest completions. RUN THROUGH THE QUEST. In the future there will be no mob fighting when deemed unnecessary. There wont be fighting at all. Just running through quest without engaging and mobs. WOOT!!!! SOUNDS FUN!!!

...v...
04-07-2009, 07:08 AM
You obviously don't know how to play a 2wf Barb. I know the Best player in the game with that build and he can definitely compete with the best of them. And if you had wop you wouldn't be posting about how great it is that it's nerfed, cause you realize the importance of them when going again GOD-LIKE HPs. You're just another jealous cry baby who's been wishing for a wop and now can breathe a sigh of relief cause he'll be able to add a few more kills to the kill count.
WOP was a solution to an every increasing problem: MOB HPs. I really don't like spending
hours in a quest that can be done in 15 min. But the nerf has brought an older tactic to the surface on quest completions. RUN THROUGH THE QUEST. In the future there will be no mob fighting when deemed unnecessary. There wont be fighting at all. Just running through quest without engaging and mobs. WOOT!!!! SOUNDS FUN!!!

well put, I think we run through dungeons already ;)

Galacticus
04-07-2009, 07:09 AM
WoP will still be quite useful. First, mobs will lose 1 hp per hit die for every 2 points of con lost. Secondly, once they hit 0 you get auto-crits. On top of that we will have a stun effect on them. What effect this will have remains to be seen, but it does mean that they should at least stand still for a little.

On top of that we can apply these effects to RED mobs even! No more blanket immunity to star damage. For the harder ones we will have to keep hitting them with it since stat damage recovers.

I don't think that we will see much of a difference in mob lifespan. Melée toons knock them to 0 con then clerics and rogues clean up. Dreamspitter will be even MORE popular I think.

So you're asking people to be support fighters or pocket aids for DPS machines?

Mithran
04-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Hey Mirta, you don't know my type because you don't know me at all tbh. But I am in no way speaking about us vs. them when it comes to the matter of WoP.

I have spent the last few mods wracking up a billion kills with my twf barbarian stat busting everything in sight for the most part same as everyone else with various builds. Yes the wounding is the icing on the cake but any old puncturing is way more then enough to make it god mode against non boss mobs. I realize the side of the coin that people worked hard and probably paid a lot to acquire these items and that is relivant as well on an individual level. What about the game as a whole though?

The weapons themselves and the builds that use them I am sure will still be a very important part of a successful quest completion; though not the god-mode only requirment until the boss fight that currently exists. DPS builds/classes need a place as well beyond boss fighting and joining in the stat busting fest of the current game. Can the devs make this work? That remains to be seen - if they do it well it may be a good thing for the game. But I do feel change was needed either way. Again no us vs. them type bs, I'm just stating my honest opinion. In the end it may bring some irrelevenat builds back out of retirement. I know I am excited to finally dust off my old school 2handed wf barb that may finally have a use again after a very long period of being dead-weight unless I speced him to piercing and gave him puncturing rapiers to get some kills. If the entire melee non-boss game is focused around a single prefix and suffix how can that be a good/fun/interesting thing? We needed something to change. Those that paid highly for their WoP's get hurt the most and I do feel compassion for that, but my hopes is the game will be better for it.

I've talked to Prey in Guild Chat about this, and I am inclined to agree. To be sure, I never pursued trades and transfers to an extent that led me to obtaining my own WoP Rapiers, and it may very well be that if I'd had a couple, I'd have seen fit to roll a GTWF Barbarian to take advantage of their presence in my inventory.

Nevertheless, another of our guildies has just cancelled his account over the proposed nerfs to his weapons and I'm sorry to see any friends leave the game. Having said this, I think the reaction to the proposal has been overblown. We haven't seen what kind of effect this will have on game play (if any) and WoP was overpowered.

Galacticus
04-07-2009, 07:14 AM
I've talked to Prey in Guild Chat about this, and I am inclined to agree. To be sure, I never pursued trades and transfers to an extent that led me to obtaining my own WoP Rapiers, and it may very well be that if I'd had a couple, I'd have seen fit to roll a GTWF Barbarian to take advantage of their presence in my inventory.

Nevertheless, another of our guildies has just cancelled his account over the proposed nerfs to his weapons and I'm sorry to see any friends leave the game. Having said this, I think the reaction to the proposal has been overblown. We haven't seen what kind of effect this will have on game play (if any) and WoP was overpowered.

ditto

"DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE(tm): Stormreach(tm) : "Drakkos" subscription has been canceled. We are sad to see you go, but you can come back again in the future at any time by returning to the MyAccount @ Turbine website."

Invalid_82
04-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Hey G,

I'm not saying I don't know how to play a wf barb, that is not even close to what I'm getting at in this thread. I play the barb class more then adequetly and yes I have wanted to have a WoP for sure, but not to the point where it was really a big deal. As I stated puncturing itself is more than adequete to pad the kill count and turn everything but bosses into chumps.

If you read what I said earlier I put in my post that I hope that the devs create a balance so that it doesnt become a snorefest of overinflated hps, that the stat busters could influence that by being good at what they do. Thus making them extremly valuable like they are now. But also then having dps do their thing as well giving them value. Right now they are just an accessory to the stat busting train until boss fights. This has nothing to do with my ability to play the class, it has to do with what dps does outside of boss fights.

Thame
04-07-2009, 07:32 AM

The only people that are ****ed off about htis are those who build toons that live or die by the kill count. They like to see they have 50 kills more then anyone else or they have to reroll their toon get WOP and say IM UBER. Hence why not many used WOE because it doesnt show on the kill counts. WOP will become the next WOE and Im fine with that. Its the kill count watchers that wont be....

moorewr
04-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Amusing (and flamebait) subject on the OP.

On to tactics - What do you suggest for quickly disposing of frost giants? They have an annoying amount of HP.. on the plus side it will often be fine to leave them behind and helpless... (even in the Prey on the Hunter end fight).

Mellkor
04-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I think this change is not too bad, certainly not on par with what the doomsayers are saying. I also think people are underestimating the change to red named. The stat damage that you can now do to them combined with debuffs will make a HUGE difference. As it stands now a wizzy using all his debuffs on a red named makes a substantial difference, add in another -10 to each stat from the change on top of that...

on another note, I would think people would be more upset about the substantial change to the Cloudkill spell.....

I will wait until I give it tho 'ol college try before I pass any real judgement.

-JR

oogly54
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
The only people that are ****ed off about htis are those who build toons that live or die by the kill count. They like to see they have 50 kills more then anyone else or they have to reroll their toon get WOP and say IM UBER. Hence why not many used WOE because it doesnt show on the kill counts. WOP will become the next WOE and Im fine with that. Its the kill count watchers that wont be....

Kill count has nothing to do with this. It has a whole lot more to do with the amount some have traded for an item and now is worthless in comparison. I assume you do not have a WOP rapier, but could you imagine trading 5-10 million plat worth of items for one, you are all excited about this new toy, and now your whole fortune is gone in a nerf.

The biggest issue for me is the lack of valuable items coming from chests. Sure the named items will remain valuable, but the chests that don't have named items have nothing anyone wants dropping from them. A VERY high percentage of chest do not have valuable named loot. What this does is force us to run the few quests with good named loot and raids ONLY. Great we have just made the quest list shrink to 10 quests and raids. WE NEED BASIC LOOT THAT DROPS FROM ALL CHESTS THAT IS VALUABLE.

What this also does is make the devs put more blanket deathward on mobs or the WOPs will just switch back to the vorpals of GH. Go buy your vorpals, because there value is about to sky rocket again. In hound, if you don't have WOPs, what do you use. Vorpals! DPS is stil not going to be used unless they FORCE us to do so which is exactly the opposite of what I keep hearing. "I want options as to how I kill my mobs" You didn't get options, you switched for WOP, to vorpals, or forced DPS. There is no option.

oogly54
04-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I think this change is not too bad, certainly not on par with what the doomsayers are saying. I also think people are underestimating the change to red named. The stat damage that you can now do to them combined with debuffs will make a HUGE difference. As it stands now a wizzy using all his debuffs on a red named makes a substantial difference, add in another -10 to each stat from the change on top of that...

on another note, I would think people would be more upset about the substantial change to the Cloudkill spell.....

I will wait until I give it tho 'ol college try before I pass any real judgement.

-JR

That I assuming there STR didnt just go from 60STR to 70 STR and now we can put hem bakc to 60. Woo Hoo. In VOD on elite, Sully hits a 85 Ac EVERY time. SO he has at least a +85 to hit. Lower it to +80 isnt going to help out 99.9% of the player base.

iraiqat316
04-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm going to try putting a Force Crit on the end of my WoP Rapier and see if that helps make up the difference.

B_Notorious
04-07-2009, 10:26 AM
It doesn't really matter all that much to me. All it means is I need to start carrying more effect bolts for my Wop Repeater :p

Kintro
04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
I thought the same thing. There is not enough information to support that the stat dmg regenerates for monsters so I am going to assume no for now. Besides, how many monsters do you know that last more than a minute when we are fighting them?

Living spells in Enter the Kobold. Could make things a bit more interesting if those things come back to life :)

On to tactics - What do you suggest for quickly disposing of frost giants? They have an annoying amount of HP.. on the plus side it will often be fine to leave them behind and helpless... (even in the Prey on the Hunter end fight).

Why waste time making them helpless? They'll still chase and swing at you just the same.

For the end fight I'd suggest not disposing of them until the named dies. Kite them or stone them until then.

Ustice
04-07-2009, 10:41 AM

WoP should knock out their HP effectively since they should be losing 1 hp / Hit die for every 2 con lost. Let's say they have a 40 Con, that would mean that they would lose 20 HP / HD, and their HD is likely pretty high.

Aspenor
04-07-2009, 10:42 AM
WoP should knock out their HP effectively since they should be losing 1 hp / Hit die for every 2 con lost. Let's say they have a 40 Con, that would mean that they would lose 20 HP / HD, and their HD is likely pretty high.

They also have "extra" arbitrarily tacked on hit points, which on many end-game monsters number in the THOUSANDS.

Thrudh
04-07-2009, 10:44 AM

I think you might need to pay MORE attention now...

eonfreon
04-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I think you might need to pay MORE attention now...

Why?
You hit them with the WoP until they are noticeably "stunned".
Then you move onto the next one or you switch to a dps weapon with a click and then hold down the mouse button or keep autoattack on, stretch out, and take a swig of whatever drink you have, while your character takes down the Mob.
No big deal to someone who doesn't care about kill counts. I probably won't bother finishing them off, let the dpser do that tedious work, they're used to it.
I really want to see how this plays out before I worry about it.

Mudcnd
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
What I don't understand is everyone is *****ing about the wop nerf, and the mob's inflated hp , and how its going to take hrs to DPS down some mobs.
How is it that random pugs get the quests done without WoP, most of the population doesn't have them.
I dont like how the nerf was implemented to me it should be mobs at ____ HD should be immune kinda like how cloud kill used to work.
That or all stat damagers should be = str=0=dead, int 0 = dead ect ect.

Hadrian
04-07-2009, 11:11 AM
How is it that random pugs get the quests done without WoP, most of the population doesn't have them.

Probably because just puncturing works quite well and is hurt just as badly by this nerf.

Yaga_Nub
04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
ditto

"DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE(tm): Stormreach(tm) : "Drakkos" subscription has been canceled. We are sad to see you go, but you can come back again in the future at any time by returning to the MyAccount @ Turbine website."

Don't let the door hit you on the arse Drak. If this is all it takes to get you to leave then I'm glad you're out. :)

W*F, really? Quit over-reacting and re-up your subscription you baby!

Codegate
04-07-2009, 12:40 PM

Easy. Assuming the WoP 'stunned' effect causes auto-crits, you WoP them until stunned and then beat the **** out of them. If you've ever used Sunning blow or Stunning fist on the giants you would know that they go down pretty quickly to anyone with a half decent DPS once stunned.

The thing I really love about this change is it brings some of the balance back. Currently WoP can do it all from a trash melee perspective. With this new change WoP will become an incredibly powerful support roll acting as a huge force multiplier.

Not only that, but Rogues doing con damage are going to rock. Drop a mob to 0 con and suddenly you start getting all of your sneak attack damage.

Another huge bonus that the stat damagers will have post change is that they have now become the one of (if not the best) boss debuffers in the game. -10 to every physical stat is going to make end fights much nicer.

Yes, trash mobs will take longer to kill - but not much - and boss mobs will go down faster due to the stat debuffing.

So with one change the devs have potentially balanced the offensive capabilities of DPS, stat damagers and rogues. Will it actually work out like this? Who knows but it's a pretty good attempt at it.

Shyver
04-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Another huge bonus that the stat damagers will have post change is that they have now become the one of (if not the best) boss debuffers in the game. -10 to every physical stat is going to make end fights much nicer.

I keep seeing this and it's not as great as people seem to think. As of the release notes it only works on RED NAMED bosses, not PURPLE NAMED bosses. What fight against a red named lasts long enough that the time to put in a -10 to a stat would matter?

Red named bosses can now be affected by up to 10 points of ability damage in each ability score, this cannot drop them below 1 in an ability score.

TEK
04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
i Keep Seeing This And It's Not As Great As People Seem To Think. As Of The Release Notes It Only Works On Red Named Bosses, Not Purple Named Bosses. What Fight Against A Red Named Lasts Long Enough That The Time To Put In A -10 To A Stat Would Matter?

Rofl Qft

Raithe
04-07-2009, 01:07 PM
In addition to the red/purple boss misunderstanding, I keep seeing inferences to helpless mobs just standing there.

They don't. They will follow you.

(Disclaimer: Unless there has been an unannounced change...)

Codegate
04-07-2009, 01:39 PM
In addition to the red/purple boss misunderstanding, I keep seeing inferences to helpless mobs just standing there.

They don't. They will follow you.

(Disclaimer: Unless there has been an unannounced change...)

Being reduced to 0 constitution will no longer kill players or monsters. They will be stunned for a short period of time and then behave as if they had been reduced to 0 in any other ability score. (Automatic criticals, etc.)

Again, I'm going on the assumption that a 0 con mob behaves as if stunned in which case they don't move and every attack against them is an auto-crit. I just hope that 'a short period' is more then 6 seconds and matches up with what stunning blow/fist cause duration-wise.

As for the purple vs. red mobs and debuffing I erred in my reading. I thought the stat damage effected both which would have been a nice mitigation to the loss of effectiveness vs. trash. I'm not sure why they don't allow the stat damage for purple as well.

Invalid_82
04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Glad the thread for the most part is staying constructive, and it is my hope as well that with this change the roles can become more in balance. As a dps I will be more then happy to spend time smashing on the mobs after they have been bleed/sapped to death by the still potent stat busting weapons. What remains to be seen is the implementation - if done well it will be great imo, and if done poorly it will be glaringly obvious.

Impaqt
04-07-2009, 05:21 PM
That I assuming there STR didnt just go from 60STR to 70 STR and now we can put hem bakc to 60. Woo Hoo. In VOD on elite, Sully hits a 85 Ac EVERY time. SO he has at least a +85 to hit. Lower it to +80 isnt going to help out 99.9% of the player base.

Hes PURPLE named..... No mention of Stat damage effecting Purpled named boss's. I assume they are still Immune.