PDA

View Full Version : Mod 9 Coming To New Preview Server Lamannia through the Turbine Download Manager!

Tolero
04-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Greetings! We have some important news for you today:

Risia Retires, Lamannia Is Born!

The Risia server is being retired! If you currently have a Risia client installed, please uninstall it. We have an all new Preview Server for new content: Lamannia! Lamannia is taking Risia’s place as the server for checking out upcoming game features and releases!

Mod 9 On Lamannia!

Next, some more exciting news: next week we will begin the first previews of Mod 9: The Plane of Battle on Lamannia! But that’s not the only thing new coming to DDO…

A New Way To Get In Game!

Mod 9 and Lamannia come packaged with technology designed to streamline downloads for new players and make patching easier than ever for our current players!

The Turbine Download Manager makes it easier to get into our games and start playing, whether you’re a new player or a current player ready for new content. The Turbine Download Manager offers new players the opportunity to start playing the game before they have completed the entire download and installation of the game. Future versions of the Turbine Download Manager will offer current players the ability to automatically download patches through a process called “forward patching,” enabling them to play as soon as the servers open with new content!

Beginning with Mod 9 on Lamannia, new players will experience a “tiered” download; meaning that after a relatively small initial download, they can jump right into character creation. While they’re creating their characters, the new player (Beach / Grotto) tutorial instance will download in the background; while they’re playing the tutorial instance, the public portion of Korthos Village will download, and while they’re playing through those first few Village quests, the Korthos Wilderness will download in the background, and then the full game. There may be brief periods of waiting while the next tier is downloading, particularly for new players with slower internet connections, but the wait time has been significantly reduced from the days when the entire game had to be downloaded and installed before a new player ever reached character creation!

The Turbine Download Manager also offers the following features:

Peer-to-peer downloading, allowing you to download files even faster
More control over your download experience
Set overall capacity and speed limits
Schedule downloads by time of day and day of week
Set limits based on what other applications you are running
Pause and have the download automatically resume at a later time
UPnP support (if your router and firewall support it and are configured correctly).

We encourage everyone to try creating a new character to help provide feedback on the incremental download, so we can polish this experience for new players!

A few important things to note:

Lamannia will contain all recently played characters which existed on the DDO servers as of December 29, 2008.
While Turbine will remain the primary provider of bandwidth, the Download Manager will also use optional peer-to-peer file sharing to speed up the downloads. The peer-to-peer portion only acts as a subsidizer.

Ready to get started? Watch for the announcement for the Turbine Download Manager Beta, which will provide a link so you can get started on Lamannia! Release Notes for Lamannia will be available on Monday in the Compendium!

ArkoHighStar
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
wow

totmacher
04-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Awesome!!!

Aspenor
04-03-2009, 04:25 PM
translation: The Risia server bit the dust. The hamsters all ran away.

rimble
04-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Nice...

Kraldor
04-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Awesome.

Trillea
WOOHOO!! *does happy dance*

The light at the end of the tunnel is in site all!

Lorichie
i....umm...feeling kinda woozy....

R

Oh...and go vote:)

R

Jay203
mmmk
so where is it? :confused::confused::confused:

Lerincho
04-03-2009, 04:28 PM

this reminded me of the new car commercial with all the hamsters in it. is that where they went, from risia to car company?

Big-Dex
Interesting! So does this mean we can roll on Lamannia on Monday???

Dex was here.

totmacher
WTB release notes PST

dragonruler
wow

ummmm what he said >.>

Ghirmeshk
This is massive, indeed. Mod 9 is real and it is coming!!!!!!!! SOON!!!!

Oreg
Awesome!

rimble
04-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Awesome!

Assuming all new character transfer or have to start all characters from creation?

Read it foo'!

ArkoHighStar

that or its being used for super secret

Trillea
Awesome!

Assuming all new character transfer or have to start all characters from creation?

per Tolero:
Lamannia will contain all recently played characters which existed on the DDO servers as of December 29, 2008.

Zenix_Leviticus
04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I think the Risia server now code named Lamania is a bad thing. By the time
you release the content to regular servers, all the new stuff has been figured
out and it is just a big spoiler fest.

I know it should help work out the bugs, but I don't like it.

This is kinda like the new coke thing too.........

Hammerdrop
04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Ready for it!

FSeven - Khyber

Lorichie
04-03-2009, 04:31 PM

In the past they've locked us out of quests and raids, i'd think they would do the same here, but we'll see

R

Hendrik
mmmk
so where is it? :confused::confused::confused:

So, try reading the last sentance in her post.

ArkoHighStar
Mod 9 On Lamannia!

Next, some more exciting news: next week we will begin the first previews of Mod 9: The Plane of Battle on Lamannia! But that’s not the only thing new coming to DDO…

so does this mean that the client will be avilable next week and we will be able to play, or are you opening to press next week?

bobbryan2
04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
So... an honest question.

We had WDAs taken from us. The reasoning given, was that we wanted to give exclusive information to 3rd party sites.

Well, we're actually getting the... MOD... as early as Monday or soon after, right? So where are these third party interviews? Why has apparantly no other online magazine already played mod 9?

In short... can we have our WDAs back if you're not going to give exclusive information out?

Sirea
04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Interesting....

Magada
04-03-2009, 04:33 PM
+riverdancing in a puddle+

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 04:34 PM
In the past they've locked us out of quests and raids, i'd think they would do the same here, but we'll see

R

God, I hope so!!!!

PLEASE even!

ArkoHighStar
04-03-2009, 04:34 PM

We had WDAs taken from us. The reasoning given, was that we wanted to give exclusive information to 3rd party sites.

Well, we're actually getting the... MOD... as early as Monday or soon after, right? So where are these third party interviews? Why has apparantly no other online magazine already played mod 9?

In short... can we have our WDAs back if you're not going to give exclusive information out?

I imagine there will be articles appearing next week in conjunction with this

Geriant
04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Very nifty!

KoboldKiller
04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
http://peppermint.jackieohm.com/dance_animated.gif

HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Lorichie
04-03-2009, 04:36 PM

I'm guessing there will be a blitz of info starting monday, we'll see.

R

Ghirmeshk

As soon as we posted it on the Escapist forum . . . we essentially had an impromptu article. Even one of the escapist mods was like "wow! Cool!" This is great exposure.

cdbd3rd
wow

Awesome!!!

Neato?

;)

bobbryan2
04-03-2009, 04:37 PM

So we gave up WDAs for concurrent releases of information? If the point is to give exclusive access... wouldn't letting us access it at the same time defeat the whole purpose?

Xanthain
Omg Omg

Ghirmeshk
As soon as we posted it on the Escapist forum . . . we essentially had an impromptu article. Even one of the escapist mods was like "wow! Cool!" This is great exposure.

Link:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/375.104632?p=1&page=66#1676507

Post number 2303

Donnie
04-03-2009, 04:38 PM

Im guessing that this new modular interface will allow them to implement portions of the Mod at a time. That way they could probably just let us know what they want us to know step by step, while still keeping certian tasty tidbits out of our reach.

Hopefully.

Either way, this is the last thing I expected. I figured test servers were a thing of the past and have event voiced this on the forums from time to time. It appears...I was wrong. But im happy about that :)

ArkoHighStar
04-03-2009, 04:39 PM
So we gave up WDAs for concurrent releases of information? If the point is to give exclusive access... wouldn't letting us access it at the same time defeat the whole purpose?

no not really, as the goal with the articles is not to get us to go there, we already do in amny cases it is to atrract new players, remember chances are the quests and the raids will be locked, and they will get first dibs on those

Kylstrem
04-03-2009, 04:39 PM
This is massive, indeed. Mod 9 is real and it is coming!!!!!!!! SOON!!!!

The pessimist reads this as:
Many months ago:
Turbine Suit #1: "We need to get rid of Risia so that we can keep new things secret and create a "buzz" about the game with the press and such. However, this means we have to do all our own QA testing in-house!"

Turbine Suit #2: "Bah! That's not problem... testing is just playing the game. We've got employees that love to play games. Plus, we'll just tell the programmers to code it correctly the first time... it won't need much testing!"

2 weeks ago:
Turbine Suit #1: "Hmmm, why isn't Mod 9 close to being released? We've are way behind in our press release tour about it!"

Turbine Suit #2: "The devs say that there aren't enough resources dedicated to testing. The testers are finding issues, but every time a new test release is delivered, they have to start over with their testing and keep finding issues early on. The developers say there are still vast areas of the game untested".

Turbine Suit #1: "Well gosh darn! What can we do? Mod 9 was supposed to be out 2 months ago... who would have thunk a lack of testing resources would hamper it"

Turbine Suit #2: "Don't worry... I just thought of a great idea. We'll create a new test server and the player base will think its the best thing ever. They'll be so excited about it they might forgive the lateness of the mod. And we get FREE BETA TESTERS. Fire all those testers we are paying minimum wage right now. Heck... this is a money saver as well. Whoop!"

<\Fist Bump between two suits>

Accelerando
04-03-2009, 04:40 PM
<3

Junts
04-03-2009, 04:40 PM

thats not true; did you ever use risia? for example, all mod8 risia let you do with the high-end content was explore the 4 explorer zones: you couldn't enter the quests at all, much less know how to beat them.

Memnir
04-03-2009, 04:42 PM
"Are you happy, Stan?"

"Very much so, Olie! This is indeed good news!"

.....http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/HappyDance.gif

bobbryan2
04-03-2009, 04:42 PM
no not really, as the goal with the articles is not to get us to go there, we already do in amny cases it is to atrract new players, remember chances are the quests and the raids will be locked, and they will get first dibs on those

Oh, I definately know it's not for our benefit. I'm just saying that it's not really 'exclusive' information if you release it to the entire Turbine community around the same time.

I'll preface it by saying that I still think removing the WDAs was a terrible decision... I'm just trying to say that I'm not even seeing Turbine give that information to third parties, like they said they were going to.

The other magazines already got first dibs on things like the Shroud raid back when we HAD WDAs.

ArkoHighStar
04-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Im guessing that this new modular interface will allow them to implement portions of the Mod at a time. That way they could probably just let us know what they want us to know step by step, while still keeping certian tasty tidbits out of our reach.

Hopefully.

Either way, this is the last thing I expected. I figured test servers were a thing of the past and have event voiced this on the forums from time to time. It appears...I was wrong. But im happy about that :)

no having experienced it with LOTRO, basically itonly really works for beginning the game, it makes downloading the game and starting a lot quicker, once you have everything its just like today

Ghirmeshk
The pessimist reads this as:
Many months ago:
Turbine Suit #1: "We need to get rid of Risia so that we can keep new things secret and create a "buzz" about the game with the press and such. However, this means we have to do all our own QA testing in-house!"

Turbine Suit #2: "Bah! That's not problem... testing is just playing the game. We've got employees that love to play games. Plus, we'll just tell the programmers to code it correctly the first time... it won't need much testing!"

2 weeks ago:
Turbine Suit #1: "Hmmm, why isn't Mod 9 close to being released? We've are way behind in our press release tour about it!"

Turbine Suit #2: "The devs say that there aren't enough resources dedicated to testing. The testers are finding issues, but every time a new test release is delivered, they have to start over with their testing and keep finding issues early on. The developers say there are still vast areas of the game untested".

Turbine Suit #1: "Well gosh darn! What can we do? Mod 9 was supposed to be out 2 months ago... who would have thunk a lack of testing resources would hamper it"

Turbine Suit #2: "Don't worry... I just thought of a great idea. We'll create a new test server and the player base will think its the best thing ever. They'll be so excited about it they might forgive the lateness of the mod. And we get FREE BETA TESTERS. Fire all those testers we are paying minimum wage right now. Heck... this is a money saver as well. Whoop!"

<\Fist Bump between two suits>

Even if that is the case, and it may be . . . this is something. Something is better than nothing. Also, It will be nice to have updated characters on the test server. I'm still excited, but you make some good points.

Big-Dex
SO ... How long do we think MOD9 will sit on Risia... err... Lamannia .... before it goes live????? This new download system is bound to have bugs and issues to work out, as complex as it sounds. Is new content on hold to install this new download system???

Hmmm... .still gotta chew on this some.

Dex was here.

Zenix_Leviticus
04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
thats not true; did you ever use risia? for example, all mod8 risia let you do with the high-end content was explore the 4 explorer zones: you couldn't enter the quests at all, much less know how to beat them.

There were two of the mods that we gave feedback on the quests.

I think one was the mod with wisperdoom. I can't remember the other.

Lorichie
04-03-2009, 04:45 PM
SO ... How long do we think MOD9 will sit on Risia... err... Lamannia .... before it goes live????? This new download system is bound to have bugs and issues to work out, as complex as it sounds. Is new content on hold to install this new download system???

Dex was here.

week, two tops, imo

R

Lorichie
04-03-2009, 04:46 PM
There were two of the mods that we gave feedback on the quests.

I think one was the mod with wisperdoom. I can't remember the other.

gianthold was open, side quests anway, i think, been so long, bah cant remember, nm

R

maddmatt70
04-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Darn. Why can't they just release it to the live servers. I dislike the preview server concept. It really is just about people getting on there and releasing information to everyone else i.e. spoiling the experience..

Justicar
04-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Great news!

ArkoHighStar
04-03-2009, 04:48 PM

Dex was here.

they already use it for LOTRO

http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/lotro.support/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=1981&SearchType=advanced&referrer=&CustID=&rfield=&usertype=&formaction=search&bUseEditor=&IncludeHTML=&gpn=&gpv=&keyword=download+m

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Darn. Why can't they just release it to the live servers. I dislike the preview server concept. It really is just about people getting on there and releasing information to everyone else i.e. spoiling the experience..

I happen to agree with you.

bobbryan2
04-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Well, the cure there would be to go there yourself and experience it first.

Kraldor
04-03-2009, 04:50 PM

On Risia:
Mod 7 You could do the new 3BC quests.
Mod 6 You could do the Vale quests.
Mod 5 You could do everything- New litany quests, orchard + quests, litany pre-raid, abbot raid

Damionic
04-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Jumping up and down in my PJ's (yea grown up men in blighty wear PJ's)

Kintro
04-03-2009, 04:52 PM
UPnP support (if your router and firewall support it and are configured correctly).

Will the download manager have some kind of autodetect feature for bandwidth limits? I'm assuming it'll be uploading the whole time you're downloading which it's doing while you're playing. If the upload limits aren't set sensibly it'll swamp your upstream and new players may quit in the lagfest that ensues.

This is also a concern because lots of people don't know what an upstream is let alone what rate they get from their ISP (if the ISP even tells them anywhere on the website/welcome docs) or the impact filling it will have.

Will uploads continue once we've finished downloading?

Memnir
04-03-2009, 04:53 PM
I can see the need to test the new tiered download, and how it will work with a larger scale player population. I imagine this thing will be buggier than hell - but am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

I have a question though...
In the past, some serious issues have been found and brought up by those on the public test server... issues that were not addressed before the Mod went live. Any chance of having any problems found, particularly larger ones, will be fixed before the Mod goes live? I know people are rabid to get the Mod to the live servers, but I'd rather have the bugs knocked out in advance - not just known in advance.

KoboldKiller
04-03-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm lazy so when and where can we download the server?

Zenix_Leviticus
04-03-2009, 04:55 PM
The day giant hold came out, someone that had played on risia told my guildies an
easy way to beat PoP and we were only 10 minutes into the mod.

A couple hours later all my guildies had capped characters and I was sick of PoP
and totally disgusted.

This goes as far back as beta testing the game.

The first time I ever did water works, the day the game released, everone knew
the map like the back of their hand and I was totally lost. The game hadn't even
been live for 2 hours.

I just hate spoilers!

Quanefel
04-03-2009, 04:56 PM

That may be true but it is designed partially for us to...break things. So they know anything they missed, we are crafty when it comes to finding flaws. I like breaking things. :P

Lorichie
04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I can see the need to test the new tiered download, and how it will work with a larger scale player population. I imagine this thing will be buggier than hell - but am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

I have a question though...
In the past, some serious issues have been found and brought up by those on the public test server... issues that were not addressed before the Mod went live. Any chance of having any problems found, particularly larger ones, will be fixed before the Mod goes live? I know people are rabid to get the Mod to the live servers, but I'd rather have the bugs knocked out in advance - not just known in advance.

I think a lot of that is how long from test to live it'll be. The download part of it is live on LOTRO so i dont think theyll be many bugs there, the rest of it certainly will, but if they bring it out in a week or two, that may not be enough time to fix, resend to Lamannia, retest before going Live, i'm assuming of course thats how it would work and how slowly the fixes would occur, but given past instances it probably is correct.

If this mod goes live beyond two weeks, then mebbe, but i'm not sure test server and release notes and marketing to other websites will hold some of us over that long. I want it bug free too, for the record, but we are approaching that point of no return, some would say we're beyond it already.

R

Garth_of_Sarlona
04-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Sounds like this is more of a test of the new download manager system than mod9...? Get 3000 angry forum users to download the client at the same time and see if everything crashes? :)

Are we getting the peer-to-peer download manager when mod9 is released or will it only be used on Lamannia?

Garth

deathtouch
04-03-2009, 05:04 PM
whats mod9, never heard about it, is it new?

Clement
04-03-2009, 05:07 PM

In fact, Risia was so full of l33t experimental class builds created by our uber build gurus that DARPA requisitioned it from Turbine to assist in designing the 'soldier of tomorrow'.

Next the Pentagon will run up the cost of Tomes on the AH in every world as they buy up all of the +2 and (forthcoming) +3 unbound Tomes to make all of those builds work.

bobbryan2
04-03-2009, 05:08 PM
That may be true but it is designed partially for us to...break things. So they know anything they missed, we are crafty when it comes to finding flaws. I like breaking things. :P

In my experience... all it does is give the devs an extra week or so jump on getting the bug reports.

None of my bug reports are ever fixed by the time it goes live... they all wait till the first patch anyway.

I'm guessing the devs just are bored and wanting to start working on stuff now, as opposed to when it comes out.

Gorby
04-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure I understand the peer-to-peer aspect of the content downloader. Is it my client now that has to stream the patches to other player's clients?

also- I'm against the Lammania server preview of Mod 9 as a whole. I now have the choice to spoil the mod9 content for myself on a server which doesnt matter and on old versions of my characters..

or someone else will spoil it for me before or during the time when the mod actually goes live. So much for the chance at getting 6 experienced players in a dungeon in which none of them have been in before ... :(

Lorichie
04-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure I understand the peer-to-peer aspect of the content downloader. Is it my client now that has to stream the patches to other player's clients?

also- I'm against the Lammania server preview of Mod 9 as a whole. I now have the choice to spoil the mod9 content for myself on a server which doesnt matter and on old versions of my characters..

or someone else will spoil it for me before or during the time when the mod actually goes live. So much for the chance at getting 6 experienced players in a dungeon in which none of them have been in before ... :(

In the past there was a great amount of players that did not download the Risia client, for several days it was always likely that you would find folks who had never done it before, even if you had to put that in your lfm. Around day two or three post launch tho, youre right, almost everyone will have done the quests at least a handful of times, well the non casual folks at least, and mebbe the casuals who took time off for launch.

R

Kambuk
04-03-2009, 05:15 PM
A few sensible questions....

Does this mean we need to download a whole new client for mod 9 when it goes live?

Do we need a whole new client for Lammania or is the new download manager is going to patch the existing installation?

I.e. if people are low on disk space how much space are they going to need to free up?

People with mutiple pcs with ddo installed on the same lan, can they specify to download from another client on the lan only? I have it installed on 6 different systems, I normally just patch the fastest one and copy it's install directory over the lan to the other pc's...

Kambuk

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 05:18 PM

Basically, yes. That is how p2p works. You have a file that you want to 'share' and you do that via a client with anyone else that wants that file.

I have no idea how LOTRO or how Turbine will do their clients, but with the p2p client I do have experience with you can set Tx and Rx speeds.

Your fears about the public test server mimic my own and a few others, you are not alone.

Lorichie
04-03-2009, 05:19 PM

Does this mean we need to download a whole new client for mod 9 when it goes live?

---I'd imagine it would just patch as it has all along.---

Do we need a whole new client for Lammania or is the new download manager is going to patch the existing installation?

---If its like Risia was yes, it would be entirely seperate client----

I.e. if people are low on disk space how much space are they going to need to free up?

----I would guess marginally bigger than your DDO file is now, Mod nine appears to be quite large----

People with mutiple pcs with ddo installed on the same lan, can they specify to download from another client on the lan only? I have it installed on 6 different systems, I normally just patch the fastest one and copy it's install directory over the lan to the other pc's...

-this i dunno---

Kambuk

thoughts in between --'s

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Kambuk

1. Going by past experience, we just need the M9 patch once this goes Live.

2. Yes. Public test server is a separate client then Live.

3. Disk space - look at your current Live installation size, you will need that for the test server again, going by past test server experience with Risia.

4. Can't help you here, sorry.

Gratch
04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
So is this LotRO inheirited tech our Vast and Mysterious???

At least Risia wasn't turned into the XBox console port server or some facebook shenanigans...

Hope Mod9 is quickly following the preview though. Will be nice to test out planned Mod9 levelling in the preview server... assuming the level ups are unlocked.

Tolero
04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
So is this LotRO inheirited tech our Vast and Mysterious???

At least Risia wasn't turned into the XBox console port server or some facebook shenanigans...

Hope Mod9 is quickly following the preview though. Will be nice to test out planned Mod9 levelling in the preview server... assuming the level ups are unlocked.

Nope, still not SS.

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Nope, still not SS.

What is then?

;)

Flattery work?

My Tolero, you DO look great today!

Mockduck
04-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Interesting...

Big-Dex
04-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Nope, still not SS.

SS? What does that mean???

Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like DEX when he is angry. :mad:

:p Dex was here.

Kalari
04-03-2009, 05:29 PM
This sounds okay ive played on Risia (r.i.p.) just not sure about the announcement if it allows characters that were made prior to dec 28 2009 does that mean my wizard will be able to play on that server as a copy? I hate seeming to be stupid about this but I want to know. One of the drawbacks I had with Risia was I didnt know about it till it was too late to make anything but a lowbie and ended up soloing a lot of stuff trying to get her up there and by the time I got her to a decent level to see the new stuff the server was brought down. So if this is gonna be a preview server where I get to start over again I may just say forget it and wait for the mod's release.

Kalari
04-03-2009, 05:31 PM
And to add to that while yeah some could say this would end up with people spoiling quests. With the amount of new spells coming in the mod id really like to test things with my cleric and spell caster because we all remember the death pact issue. Stuff like that should be caught on this new preview server to prevent trouble when it goes life IMO.

Solmage
04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
omg omg omg

I do hope they lock out the new content though, it's going to suck to have it on live and already known inside and out by everyone when mod9 hits :p

Sanadil
04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Not for nothing, but TDM is terrible. Shoot me, but I've been playing LOTRO for the last month until MOD 9 Hits. The two times we updated there with TDM, there was issues. The second was so bad, I couldn't ever get the game to run again, and had to fully UNINSTALL, then download a 12 GIG NON TDM version of Lotro, then RE-INSTALL. I was down for 2 days, with little to no help on the issues I had with TDM.

TDM is the WORST thing you could do for trial accounts...its going to turn so many people away with all the udpate issues.

Just wait till they hit the "Your game isn't current so we won't load you", yet TDM persists that it is current...gotta love it.

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
This sounds okay ive played on Risia (r.i.p.) just not sure about the announcement if it allows characters that were made prior to dec 28 2009 does that mean my wizard will be able to play on that server as a copy? I hate seeming to be stupid about this but I want to know. One of the drawbacks I had with Risia was I didnt know about it till it was too late to make anything but a lowbie and ended up soloing a lot of stuff trying to get her up there and by the time I got her to a decent level to see the new stuff the server was brought down. So if this is gonna be a preview server where I get to start over again I may just say forget it and wait for the mod's release.

Your Wizard should be there if I read Tolero's statement correctly.

However, people should/need/must make new characters as well and not just try and rush to figure out the new content the fastest.

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
omg omg omg

I do hope they lock out the new content though, it's going to suck to have it on live and already known inside and out by everyone when mod9 hits :p

I hope so as well....

Kalari
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Your Wizard should be there if I read Tolero's statement correctly.

However, people should/need/must make new characters as well and not just try and rush to figure out the new content the fastest.

Thanks hendrik and Id definitely make another girl probably a lowbie rogue since they tend to be my new favorite class to work with. But with all the new spells that are coming up id like to see whats gonna be worth anything in the long run (looks at current level 8 spell list and sighs)

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks hendrik and Id definitely make another girl probably a lowbie rogue since they tend to be my new favorite class to work with. But with all the new spells that are coming up id like to see whats gonna be worth anything in the long run (looks at current level 8 spell list and sighs)

Hear ya about the spells. I would love to test them out with my CLR or WIZ. But I have decided to just wait. Yes, I would love to see the new content and report back. Yes, I would love to test new spells, skills and abilities. Love to do all that - but decided the 'cost' of potentially ruining the first time experience is not 'worth it'. I want to have those experiences with my Guild/Friends in a no-spoiler environment and have those "HOLY SH*T!" moments together.

Your Sarlona too I see. I'll keep an eye out for you when this all goes Live...

:)

ThrasherGT
04-03-2009, 05:44 PM
SS? What does that mean???

Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like DEX when he is angry. :mad:

:p Dex was here.

SS= Super Secret

Kalari
04-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Yep I have been dreaming of Kalari at level 20 for the longest played her the other day to shake the cobwebs off and it was like riding a bike. So once mod 9 and that cap increase comes I will be on Sarlona a whole lot more.

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Yep I have been dreaming of Kalari at level 20 for the longest played her the other day to shake the cobwebs off and it was like riding a bike. So once mod 9 and that cap increase comes I will be on Sarlona a whole lot more.

Wonderful.

Expect a PM or something when we get close to this going Live - maybe a Quest or two for some fun?

Logicman69
04-03-2009, 06:00 PM
This rocks! Mod 9 is in sight!

Kalari
04-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Wonderful.

Expect a PM or something when we get close to this going Live - maybe a Quest or two for some fun?

Sure thing :) you'll get to see my madness outside the forums hehe

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Sure thing :) you'll get to see my madness outside the forums hehe

Should I be scared?

;)

Montrose
04-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Turbine Download Manager

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

This infernal piece of ill-concieved software is terrible, terrible, terrible.

The Turbine Download Mangler nearly prevented me from being able to play LOTRO. After many attempts to get the thing to connect I finally found the sticky thread on the LOTRO forums that tells everyone how to make it so you don't need the program.

Yes, so many people had issues with this utility that they stickied the methodology of avoiding it altogether.

Threads are here, in case you don't want to take my word for it:
http://forums.lotro.com/forumdisplay.php?f=214

I'm all for porting the goodness from LOTRO, but please leave this one behind. :(

Kalari
04-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Should I be scared?

;)

^_^ nahhhh just dont ask anyone whose run with me though they tell lies! LIES I SAY!

:) Also anything I do as a result of a drunken run/raid night is not my fault.

Montrose
04-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Not for nothing, but TDM is terrible. Shoot me, but I've been playing LOTRO for the last month until MOD 9 Hits. The two times we updated there with TDM, there was issues. The second was so bad, I couldn't ever get the game to run again, and had to fully UNINSTALL, then download a 12 GIG NON TDM version of Lotro, then RE-INSTALL. I was down for 2 days, with little to no help on the issues I had with TDM.

TDM is the WORST thing you could do for trial accounts...its going to turn so many people away with all the udpate issues.

Just wait till they hit the "Your game isn't current so we won't load you", yet TDM persists that it is current...gotta love it.

QFT!

TDM is crazy bad technology. Please please please please PLEASE don't integrate it with DDO.

Oxvon
04-03-2009, 06:18 PM
QFT!

TDM is crazy bad technology. Please please please please PLEASE don't integrate it with DDO.

not sure what the problem is, I've been using it for that last couple weeks for LOTRO. No problems here, thought it was cool.

Montrose
04-03-2009, 06:23 PM
not sure what the problem is, I've been using it for that last couple weeks for LOTRO. No problems here, thought it was cool.

For an undetermined number of people (I don't actually know how many, but it's certainly non-zero) the TDM client refuses to connect regardless of what one does.

Extremely frustrating, and then you have to root around on the forums until you find the super-secret handshake to figure out how to NOT use this program.

BTW, this repro'd for me on all three of the systems on three different networks that I attempted to use it on. :(

Garth_of_Sarlona
04-03-2009, 06:29 PM
QFT!

people said the same thing about Steam when it was first introduced with counterstrike 1.7 - but look where Steam is now.

Garth

Erekose
04-03-2009, 06:30 PM
We encourage everyone to try creating a new character to help provide feedback on the incremental download, so we can polish this experience for new players!

I would love to help on one condition. You give us another character slot.

Regards

Erek

Montrose
04-03-2009, 06:31 PM
people said the same thing about Steam when it was first introduced with counterstrike 1.7 - but look where Steam is now.

Garth

I'm all for progress. I'd say that this ain't it.

At the very least, make it easy to opt out of (which is currently not the case). Then luddites like myself can continue to use tech that works. :)

maddmatt70
04-03-2009, 06:31 PM
omg omg omg

This is exactly what needs to happen.

What always happens in every mod where there has been a preview server is a bunch of people jump on the Server and run all the new quests. They then post on the forums everything about those quests. Then when the new mod goes to the live server in order to maximize your enjoyment for the new quests you have to avoid grouping with those people some of whom are guildies and friends because you don't want your experience to be less fun because the element of surprise is ruined. If you are one of those people who jumped on the preview server out of courtesy you have to avoid grouping with friends and guildies who did not jump on the preview server so as to not ruin their enjoyment.

Since it is clear that putting a new mod on the preview sever is not necessary, after all mod 8 I didn't see any real issues without a preview server, why is it in any way beneficial to hold back the content from the live servers just so you can put the new mod on the preview server. One of the best things about mod 8 was the absence of a preview server because everybody got to experience the quests for the first time together. This whole preview server was a colossal waste of dev time unless it is some sort of permanent newbie server. Give us Mod 9 on Sarlona, Thelanis, Khyber, Ghallanda, and Argonnesson and quit horsing around..

Coldin
04-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Really very cool. Glad to hear the public preview server will be returning.

WorldTraveler
04-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Please for all our sakes, tell us that there in fact IS a way to turn off this new TDM stuff and simply download in a way that we know
will work. I understand that the point is likely also to test out that very technology too, and I would certainly love it if it works the way
it's supposed to. I for one would try it out, but after hearing the horrible experiences of your LOTRO players with this same technology,
I would like to have some assurance that if we discover the same cr@p happening to us, that we have an option for bypassing it and
still getting to download the preview server. Please set up a bypass option, post it in a stickied spot if not appending it into the thread
giving us the instructions, and make this clear to any people who wish to try it out.

Hendrik
04-03-2009, 07:17 PM
^_^ nahhhh just dont ask anyone whose run with me though they tell lies! LIES I SAY!

:) Also anything I do as a result of a drunken run/raid night is not my fault.

Ok, now you have my interest....

;)

slumbering_dragon
04-03-2009, 08:21 PM
whrer can i download this from? cant find it

Gorby
04-03-2009, 08:51 PM
They then post on the forums everything about those quests

Yup, I can stay off Lamannia but I can't stay away from reading the forums until Mod.

I'd be all for checking out the new server to see all the polish to the UI and quests etc. throughout the current game but I'd really like to step through Shavarath for the first time with my current characters with a bit of suprise factor. This is imo the first good high level content since Shroud and if the door to Shavarath is open when Lamannia comes up, either way it will be a big spoil for me.

Just my opinion...

ArkoHighStar
04-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Please for all our sakes, tell us that there in fact IS a way to turn off this new TDM stuff and simply download in a way that we know
will work. I understand that the point is likely also to test out that very technology too, and I would certainly love it if it works the way
it's supposed to. I for one would try it out, but after hearing the horrible experiences of your LOTRO players with this same technology,
I would like to have some assurance that if we discover the same cr@p happening to us, that we have an option for bypassing it and
still getting to download the preview server. Please set up a bypass option, post it in a stickied spot if not appending it into the thread
giving us the instructions, and make this clear to any people who wish to try it out.

here is the FAQ P2P is optional

URL="http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/lotro.support/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=1981&SearchType=advanced&referrer=&CustID=&rfield=&usertype=&formaction=search&bUseEditor=&IncludeHTML=&gpn=&gpv=&keyword=download+m"]http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/lotro.support/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=1981&SearchType=advanced&referrer=&CustID=&rfield=&usertype=&formaction=search&bUseEditor=&IncludeHTML=&gpn=&gpv=&keyword=download+m[/URL]

Lorien_the_First_One
04-03-2009, 09:03 PM

I trust there is a way to disable your computer being used as a P2P host?

ArkoHighStar
04-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I trust there is a way to disable your computer being used as a P2P host?

yes there is

Riorik
04-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Just means they recognized they needed to dump the current characters so we could test the latest content - and they'd come up with a better approach that they're probably intending to roll into any/all games they produce.

No complaints, just commenting.

Onekife
04-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Just uninstalled Risia,now i will spend the rest of the evening repairing my login
TYVM

Gum
04-03-2009, 09:45 PM

Risia Retires, Lamannia Is Born!

The Risia server is being retired! If you currently have a Risia client installed, please uninstall it. We have an all new Preview Server for new content: Lamannia! Lamannia is taking Risia’s place as the server for checking out upcoming game features and releases!

Mod 9 On Lamannia!

A New Way To Get In Game!

Mod 9 and Lamannia come packaged with technology designed to streamline downloads for new players and make patching easier than ever for our current players!

The Turbine Download Manager makes it easier to get into our games and start playing, whether you’re a new player or a current player ready for new content. The Turbine Download Manager offers new players the opportunity to start playing the game before they have completed the entire download and installation of the game. Future versions of the Turbine Download Manager will offer current players the ability to automatically download patches through a process called “forward patching,” enabling them to play as soon as the servers open with new content!

Beginning with Mod 9 on Lamannia, new players will experience a “tiered” download; meaning that after a relatively small initial download, they can jump right into character creation. While they’re creating their characters, the new player (Beach / Grotto) tutorial instance will download in the background; while they’re playing the tutorial instance, the public portion of Korthos Village will download, and while they’re playing through those first few Village quests, the Korthos Wilderness will download in the background, and then the full game. There may be brief periods of waiting while the next tier is downloading, particularly for new players with slower internet connections, but the wait time has been significantly reduced from the days when the entire game had to be downloaded and installed before a new player ever reached character creation!

The Turbine Download Manager also offers the following features:

While Turbine will remain the primary provider of bandwidth, the Download Manager will also use optional peer-to-peer file sharing to speed up the downloads. The peer-to-peer portion only acts as a subsidizer.

Ready to get started? Watch for the announcement for the Turbine Download Manager Beta, which will provide a link so you can get started on Lamannia! Release Notes for Lamannia will be available on Monday in the Compendium!

/Happy Dance ;) Tyall!

UnderwearModel
04-03-2009, 09:54 PM
If I can't play, then I guess I will cancel those.

I will give it the college try, and if I fail at installing smoothly more than twice, then that means there is no point. I do not need that type of frustration from a game that is meant for enjoyment.

That is my solution for a buggy constantly pinging bit of software.

This is going to bring all machines that are two years old or older down to their knees.

The poor CPUs will just be constantly grinding away trying to figure out which process needs to be handled. Then you compound that with every other software company thinking that their stuff needs to be running in the background, for the just in case I might bring up their request, blah blah blah.

First thing I do is make sure that whatever processes start up on my machines, if I don't want them, I kill them. Yes, if I am really annoyed I will take them out of the registry, but some of them are useful. No idea why HP has to have four processes running for their printers on my machine. I print when I want to, not 24 hours a day.

Ranmaru2
04-03-2009, 09:56 PM

I couldn't care less what you think on spoilers, but the test servers prove to be invaluable in finding a vast number of bugs/loopholes/exploits/etc. Case in point? Death Pact. From the very mention of this spell the player base was asking about how this would work with the shroud.

UnderwearModel
04-03-2009, 09:56 PM
are now on ONE server for test purposes. Interesting.

Lamannia, isn't that the Plane of Ice.

Ranmaru2
04-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Risia is Ice...Lammania I think is air

Ghirmeshk
04-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Lammania is nature: the twilight forest.

Joemama
04-03-2009, 10:13 PM
will we still get the like mod 4 characters from ages ago or will we get our mod 8 characters???

Yuhjn
04-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I'll bet we have a month until mod9 goes live on the main servers.

There are tons of systems changes, more than in any release since launch. There will be issues, and until everything is cool they will not publish to the main servers.

Also I expect incremental uploads to the test server, so we'll get a few new parts each week. If we're lucky they'll be able to hold back the dungeon content completely until it goes to the main servers... we'll see.

Expect a month

Yuhjn
04-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I'll bet we have a month until mod9 goes live on the main servers.

There are tons of systems changes, more than in any release since launch. There will be issues, and until everything is cool they will not publish to the main servers.

Also I expect incremental uploads to the test server, so we'll get a few new parts each week. If we're lucky they'll be able to hold back the dungeon content completely until it goes to the main servers... we'll see.

Expect a month

The big question is, when do they release the level 20 mechanics so we can level up! My guild leader has so much favor saved from slayers he's ready to level to 18 in about 10 minutes. :)

Theboz
04-03-2009, 11:28 PM
If I can't play, then I guess I will cancel those.

I will give it the college try, and if I fail at installing smoothly more than twice, then that means there is no point. I do not need that type of frustration from a game that is meant for enjoyment.

That is my solution for a buggy constantly pinging bit of software.

This is going to bring all machines that are two years old or older down to their knees.

The poor CPUs will just be constantly grinding away trying to figure out which process needs to be handled. Then you compound that with every other software company thinking that their stuff needs to be running in the background, for the just in case I might bring up their request, blah blah blah.

First thing I do is make sure that whatever processes start up on my machines, if I don't want them, I kill them. Yes, if I am really annoyed I will take them out of the registry, but some of them are useful. No idea why HP has to have four processes running for their printers on my machine. I print when I want to, not 24 hours a day.

:confused:

Have you ever heard of Msconfig?

Theboz
04-03-2009, 11:31 PM
will we still get the like mod 4 characters from ages ago or will we get our mod 8 characters???

If you had a Character on or Before Dec. 29th, 2008

If you had read Tolero's post you would have seen this

Amberyll
04-04-2009, 03:06 AM

Me thinks it fell down and couldn't get back up.... Why do I have this chant running through my head (Bring out your dead, bring out your dead......)

Pyromaniac
04-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Another vote for giving us an option other than the "Turbine Download Manager". When I used it for my LOTR trial, it didn't work properly, then hosed DDO and I had to redownload DDO completely to fix the problem.

I tell Turbine that...so you decide to force all of us now to use it? Between that and the lag, I'm starting to think there's a plan to shut down DDO by forcing the player base away.

danfromoh
04-04-2009, 08:07 AM
I can't wait for MOD 9 and will take a look at Lamannia. Of course with the level cap going from 16 to 20 will there be enough quests to support it or will it be a let down.

Sirea
04-04-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure if this was brought up in other posts (I admit I only skimmed the last few pages) but regarding our characters made/played prior to the end of December that will be ported over to the new test server...will these characters be in the same state they were THEN level/equipment/stat-wise? Just wondering what I'm going to have to work with.

ace1p
04-04-2009, 09:54 AM
I Don't care about a test server, GET MOD 9 OUT, don't worry we will tell u where/why/when the bugs happen, we always do anyway. And then u can spend as much time fixing them as possible, i.e. ABBOTT.

SteveK14
04-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Peer to Peer?? How safe is it going to be? All the other P2P applications are filled with security holes and need constant updating., but only AFTER the breach is exploited.

Rog
04-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Yay this is the best news i heard so far:) lotro took the beaten. welcome to new techology my friend. if its new it runs like **** its buggy as hell and it dont work 50% of the time fast forward 6 months later half the bugs are gone and it still runs like **** fastward a 1 later runs good with a few bugs 2 years later man thats runs pretty smooth heard they going to replace it. man i hope not i bet whatever they got coming out is going to be as buggy as ****. i think i keep my old operating sytem. sound like vista

SteeleTrueheart
04-04-2009, 12:29 PM
You are joking right? Yes the bugs are found on the test server. BUT they are never fixed before live. The more notorious guilds even don't bug report them.

I am disappointed that this appears to mean that the new Mod is not going to be out before Easter...

smatt
04-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Well, I love to see Mod 9 making an appearance on a test server. Hopefully they de-bug prior to release onthelive servers. Although, I doubt the player base on Lamania will even bother reporting the bugs, they never really do.

As far as the DL manager, well... No thank you...... Just give us the Mod in a nice Zipped littel package like you did back in Mod 5 I think..... It was nice DL, and installed in like 20 minutes..... I don't want any Peer to Peer stuff.... I don't any more buggy complications.... It's always a good shot to make things easier and more convienant... But at times what is inteneded to make thigns easier, ends up being a big mess.... That fact often zooms right over the tops of the Tech-heads..... "It seemed like a good idea at the time" :D

DelverRootnose
04-04-2009, 03:33 PM
..the idea of a preview server. I don't want to load a special front end but by the time the new mods get to the regular servers all the puzzle type stuff is solved and there is always at least one zerger in a group that spills the beans and tells everyone how to do everything. Also, isn't a preview server just a cheap way to get your testing done instead of doing the testing yourself or hiring it out to a confidential group.

DelverRootnose
04-04-2009, 03:53 PM

...hey want us to be testers that pay them for the priviledge.

sirgog
04-05-2009, 04:08 PM
..the idea of a preview server. I don't want to load a special front end but by the time the new mods get to the regular servers all the puzzle type stuff is solved and there is always at least one zerger in a group that spills the beans and tells everyone how to do everything. Also, isn't a preview server just a cheap way to get your testing done instead of doing the testing yourself or hiring it out to a confidential group.

Post a group with "First timers only please - NO SPOILERS" in the LFM, that will solve the spoiler problem.

sisterjinx
04-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Curious who is going to try Lammania out? Any Khyberians or Argites I might know going over?

John and I are certainy gonna go check things out. It will be all our old Khyber toons as we didn't come back to the game after our break till January but that's ok, should be fun anyway. If I must I'll just sell everything and build a new toon. :) You know me.... the reroll queen.

caution
04-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Next, some more exciting news: next week we will begin the first previews of Mod 9: The Plane of Battle on Lamannia!

This is pretty good as long as they limit the preview to the new features, and not new content like raids (which the new system looks like it can be patched on the fly now).

Paladin63
04-05-2009, 06:45 PM
whrer can i download this from? cant find it

Same for me I can't seem to find where to download this thing.

Vuedoo
04-05-2009, 07:50 PM
I briefly viewed through the post but did not see any answers on when the download would be available...anyone have any insight?

Roberto
04-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I briefly viewed through the post but did not see any answers on when the download would be available...anyone have any insight?

Watch for the announcement for the Turbine Download Manager Beta, which will provide a link so you can get started on Lamannia!

Second to last sentence of Tolero's post.

Roberto
04-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm lazy so when and where can we download the server?

Now THAT would be an impressive feat!

rezo
04-06-2009, 12:24 AM
cool

Venar
04-06-2009, 05:34 AM
So, am i the only one reading this as:

This is an announcement to tell you that soon, we will make and announcement to tell you when you will be able to download a test server about a mod that should be coming out soon.

I dont know, the total failure to have a date about anything lately makes any announcement rather "grey" to me.

This could mean that we will learn on friday that Lammania will be available the next friday...

Saridha
04-06-2009, 06:14 AM
So, am i the only one reading this as:

This is an announcement to tell you that soon, we will make and announcement to tell you when you will be able to download a test server about a mod that should be coming out soon.

I dont know, the total failure to have a date about anything lately makes any announcement rather "grey" to me.

This could mean that we will learn on friday that Lammania will be available the next friday...

Maybe if you had read the post you would know that:

A: next week we will begin the first previews of Mod 9: The Plane of Battle on Lamannia!

and

B: Release Notes for Lamannia will be available on Monday in the Compendium!

In other words, The Server will be up when they finish their final preparations THIS WEEK, and notes are to be posted TODAY regarding what is new on it. I believe that spells out dates within a reasonable timeframe.

Yuhjn
04-06-2009, 07:15 AM
A new test server name implies new hardware.

Is part of mod9 a hardware upgrade for the live servers?

BattleCircle
04-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Does anyone know if this will be a new client strictly for Lamannia ? I would think that would be how it is done, but honestly don't know...

Excuse me if I ask stupid questions, :)

Tolero
04-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Does anyone know if this will be a new client strictly for Lamannia ? I would think that would be how it is done, but honestly don't know...

Excuse me if I ask stupid questions, :)

The new client will be for Lamannia. It will be seperate than your normal DDO client. Also be sure to remove any old copies of Risia you may still have, as those will no longer be valid. Will be providing a link to the new Lamannia installation instructions once we open up the Lamannia forums.

Post Script about Release Notes, they will be later this evening. Known Issues for Lamannia will be in the Lamannia forum once it's open.

BattleCircle
04-06-2009, 08:58 AM
The new client will be for Lamannia. It will be seperate than your normal DDO client. Also be sure to remove any old copies of Risia you may still have, as those will no longer be valid. Will be providing a link to the new Lamannia installation instructions once we open up the Lamannia forums.

Post Script about Release Notes, they will be later this evening. Known Issues for Lamannia will be in the Lamannia forum once it's open.

Thanx T :D

SpanishBlueEyes
04-06-2009, 09:00 AM
:( I can't find it.... geez i must be blind. :( Oh i should say that i am looking for the test server and just posted here to say i still have not found it. :D

Zenix_Leviticus
04-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Edit

GoldyGopher
04-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Tolero,

Will we get to see the entirety of Module 9 or a selected subset of the new Module. In the past we have seen it both ways and I am hoping that Module 9 will follow Module 8 and only show us a limited number of the quests.

Do you have an estimated number of game-hours to see the new content?

Will the release notes cover the entirety of Module 9 or just what we get to see on the preview server?

Some of us have characters on multiple servers, will we be able to create characters as is or will we have to delete down to a number of characters to create a new character?

Do we get any other tidbits?

Can we ask why the concept art was not displayed on MMO web-zines like warcry, tenton, or others?

Will we see interviews and other tidbits on the web-zines?

Thanks

The Top-Side.

vtecfiend99
04-06-2009, 09:29 AM

Awesome!

Zenix_Leviticus
04-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I couldn't care less what you think on spoilers, but the test servers prove to be invaluable in finding a vast number of bugs/loopholes/exploits/etc. Case in point? Death Pact. From the very mention of this spell the player base was asking about how this would work with the shroud.

I care even less that you couldn't care less about what I think of spoilers..ROFL

If there are loopholes/exploits/bugs, the general population will find them in about
3.6 nanoseconds and come here and post about them.

Even if there is an exploit/bug/loophole, no one will die, get cancer, contract aids,
be a victim of nuclear holocaust, or suddenly have trouble sleeping at night due
to frequent urination because of said exploit/bug/loophole.

I give less than a damn if someone is able to get some ultra cool imaginary loot
in the form of pixels because the devs forgot to put some lines of code in somewhere.

I would just like some element of surprise when I walk into a quest for the first time.

Please put this into perspective. This is a computer game not brain surgery!

SpanishBlueEyes
04-06-2009, 09:33 AM
geez guy your first post was edit for a reason but then you feel you need to cpy and paste it again thinking someone is going to ignore it this time. *rolls eyes*

elldur
04-06-2009, 10:12 AM
looking forward to lamannia and new content. i hope bards dint get changed

GlassCannon
04-06-2009, 10:23 AM
ETA on the Download Link for the Turbine Download Manager for DDO's Lamannia Server?

Sure, reading stuff about things is nice but until practical functions are released I will pretend nothing was said.

Strakeln
04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
LOL.

Even the preview server has a release date of Soon™ :rolleyes:

B_Notorious
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Gimme..Gimme..Gimme... :)

Zenix_Leviticus
04-06-2009, 01:18 PM
geez guy your first post was edit for a reason but then you feel you need to cpy and paste it again thinking someone is going to ignore it this time. *rolls eyes*

I forgot to quote the person that had quoted me in a previous post and didn't know
how to quote a quote in a post that had already been posted.

So, I did a 'do over'.

Is that more clear?

SpanishBlueEyes
04-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Yes sorry i had just woken up and hadn't had my morning milk... I was just reading fast and was taking out anger on the poor souls here on these forums.

Gratch
04-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Someone go wind that JackNTheBox until the client springs forth!!!

Gratch
04-06-2009, 02:50 PM
On the serious question side of anxiously awaiting.

For those of us who keep a few machines ddo-cliented (laptop/desktop/computer for friends)... will there continue to be an all-downloaded-at-once Mod9 client so we can download once and share? Or is this where the peer to peer comes in?

Though I guess it would still be cool to have an all-in-one-Mod-9 client to shove on a USB key and give to friends...

plus10swordofpimp
04-06-2009, 03:07 PM
while we're on the subject of clients here ...please, please please, make sure the mod9 update delivers the 'high res' content.

(mentioned on a previous thread of mine: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=165865&highlight=client+issue)

ArkoHighStar
04-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Lamannia tomrrow then?

Drider
04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Lamannia tomrrow then?

Didn't they say later this evening? Or was that just the patch notes?

ArkoHighStar
04-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Didn't they say later this evening? Or was that just the patch notes?

that was the patch notes

Drider
04-06-2009, 04:34 PM
that was the patch notes

Oh well.. I'd rather just have the patch notes myself. lol

KoboldKiller
04-06-2009, 04:54 PM
My guild leader made a very good point. With the amount of time it takes to get new content we will refrain from using the preview server so as not to blow through the content to fast. I would like to thank those however that are going to use it and report bugs.

*This has been a message by KK industries. Remember if it doesn't say KK it's not the real thing.

Saridha
04-06-2009, 05:55 PM
So Where are these release notes we were promised! :D

Oxvon
04-06-2009, 06:38 PM
So Where are these release notes we were promised! :D

qft

Kalari
04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
As I moodily said in another thread since im kinda annoyed right now with other gaming things. While I get that this may spoil things for people who dont want others who use the preview server to gain knowledge of things ahead of time. I do see the benefit of a preview server.

The shroud being closed down due to the issues with Death pact is too fresh in my mind still. Losing friends who just got feed up with the nonsense behind bugs from handwraps and the like has hit home too hard for me. If some want to use this to get an edge in game fine. I for one just want to test spells and report issues. Not all of us are out to be uber some of us want to try to prevent stuff that will only make more friends up and leave.

So flame away but seriously im not joining Lamania for an look into the new raid im looking to make sure the spells Ive shown interest in since they announced them isnt going to cause other party members grief or shut down raids.

Solmage
04-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Being reduced to 0 constitution will no longer kill players or monsters. They will be stunned for a short period of time and then behave as if they had been reduced to 0 in any other ability score. (Automatic criticals, etc.) This change applies to all ability scores - for example, Shadows will no longer kill you if your strength is reduced to 0, though you will continue to spawn a shadow if you die while under the effects of their touch.

Thanks for misleading us Tolero, with the pirate king annecdote and how such rumors were fabrications and you couldn't go around spending time confirming or denying them.

Anyway guys, it's been fun. At least now it's easy to decide for whom to vote, I was agonizing Turbine vs Bioware.

See you around say 6 months from now, if there's still something to see.

tolana
04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
what is the purpose of a preview server if none of the bugs are not fixed before it goes live. The general population can report bugs and wait for months as turbine strings us along. Turbine this is a bad idea and i can see no good coming from this.

Drider
04-06-2009, 07:43 PM
what is the purpose of a preview server if none of the bugs are not fixed before it goes live. The general population can report bugs and wait for months as turbine strings us along. Turbine this is a bad idea and i can see no good coming from this.

Because no Mod goes through totally bug free. They try to fix the big important ones while it is still in test and players are there to help find more they may have missed.

Mod 9 probably won't even be live for at least 2 weeks probably.

And at this point I think they will lose more people the longer they have to string this out as is. I mean we are a few months late on this Mod as is.

I just hope they put in enough new quests and junk, as they never state how many new ones there are or how many new raids.

tolana
04-06-2009, 07:50 PM
from what i have seen and experienced not a single bug has been fixed from the test server. they have all carried over to live release even though it was reported on the test server. we still wait months after the mod going live before anything is fixed.

Solmage
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
from what i have seen and experienced not a single bug has been fixed from the test server. they have all carried over to live release even though it was reported on the test server. we still wait months after the mod going live before anything is fixed.

This has been my experience as well.

atlgentlegiant
04-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Have any of the people commenting on the speed of bug fixes taken the time to read the bug Hunter Lodge threads or listen to Slithe's interview on the QA process on DDOCast? If so you might understand that the process can take a long time to ensure that the bug is found, duplicated, fixed properly and no new bugs are introduced. The info on the process is out there folks. Taking a minute to read, or listen, and understand what happens behind the scenes may give you a little better appreciation for the game and all that goes into it. That little bit of time may also make you sound a lot more informed and convincing when you post.

Arianrhod
04-07-2009, 08:15 AM
OK, it's Tuesday. Is Lammania up yet? Will there be an announcement? Would be nice to see some actual reports from players trying out the new stuff, instead of just (over)reactions based on sketchy release notes...

sisterjinx
04-07-2009, 08:55 AM
When might we see this new test server? Just think it will keep at least half the population happy and at this point half is better than NONE.

Zenix_Leviticus
04-07-2009, 09:06 AM
My guild leader made a very good point. With the amount of time it takes to get new content we will refrain from using the preview server so as not to blow through the content to fast. I would like to thank those however that are going to use it and report bugs.

*This has been a message by KK industries. Remember if it doesn't say KK it's not the real thing.

This is another reason that I am glad we allied with you KK!

We will be doing the same.

sda3
04-07-2009, 10:10 AM
I found these rather interesting...
Being reduced to 0 constitution will no longer kill players or monsters. They will be stunned for a short period of time and then behave as if they had been reduced to 0 in any other ability score. (Automatic criticals, etc.) This change applies to all ability scores - for example, Shadows will no longer kill you if your strength is reduced to 0, though you will continue to spawn a shadow if you die while under the effects of their touch.
Red named bosses can now be affected by up to 10 points of ability damage in each ability score, this cannot drop them below 1 in an ability score.

Aztek
04-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Did you see this?

HECK YA! A-men devs, I will whine much much quieter about Mod 9 taking a while etc. now because of the following release note. Can I say "ABOUT TIME!??" You betcha. Thank you thank you thank you......

Zawabi's Revenge
Players now only need to turn in key items once to get into "Against the Demon Queen". Afterwards, this area is replayable without needing to get those items again.

Aztek
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for misleading us Tolero, with the pirate king annecdote and how such rumors were fabrications and you couldn't go around spending time confirming or denying them.

Anyway guys, it's been fun. At least now it's easy to decide for whom to vote, I was agonizing Turbine vs Bioware.

See you around say 6 months from now, if there's still something to see.

I'm probably missing some context here that you had in other posts, but why is this the straw that broke the camel (or the Solmage's) back?

If i read this correctly, doesn't that mean you can't kill something with Con damage alone? But at zero con damage aren't they going to have teeny tiny hitpoints and thus be able to be killed with um... damage?

I'm not trolling here, just actually curious if I'm reading this release note correctly. There is obviously some pirate king context I'm missing. If it's not worth explaining to the general populace, that's cool too.

Good luck to you wherever you end up. I'm hoping, however, your doomsaying is totally wrong on the 6-month 'if there is anything left' because I like this game way more than others, desipte its problems and don't feel like looking for something else.

Kalari
04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm probably missing some context here that you had in other posts, but why is this the straw that broke the camel (or the Solmage's) back?

If i read this correctly, doesn't that mean you can't kill something with Con damage alone? But at zero con damage aren't they going to have teeny tiny hitpoints and thus be able to be killed with um... damage?

I'm not trolling here, just actually curious if I'm reading this release note correctly. There is obviously some pirate king context I'm missing. If it's not worth explaining to the general populace, that's cool too.

Good luck to you wherever you end up. I'm hoping, however, your doomsaying is totally wrong on the 6-month 'if there is anything left' because I like this game way more than others, desipte its problems and don't feel like looking for something else.

Without giving out too much of his buisness and being someone who has run with Solmage before. He has been a long term player and general supporter of turbines changes. But a lot of these nerfs affect builds he put lots of planning into. Especially the w/p one. Anyone who knows him knows about that situation to so this could well be the straw that broke the camel's back for him. Many long term people have let other nerf's roll of their backs with the saying "they are striving for balance or making the game good all in all." Many have gritted their teeth and simply re rolled or shelved builds in hopes that they one day become viable again. But after building another build and seeing it effectively shut down it can become too much.

Aztek
04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks! I knew there was more to it. I've been playing about 2 years and only got good at building, etc. after a few really bad attempts. I've been getting better, but never really built anyone who is top of the back / best tweaked, etc. for the most part. Most of my guys hold their own now, but won't win top toon.

I get that people have mixed ranges of reactions when the balancing / nerfing / whatever you want to call it happens. Even if you're OK with the long-term strategy of the game, if it hits your hard-planned character, I can see the first thing out of your mouth not being "Thank you for balancing the game, Oh mighty Turbine!"

I guess I'm still confused though why this change is horrible. OK it's not letting you kill creatures by W/P them to zero CON but... doesn't this just turn your mobs into a stunned flopping mob, like shocked fish in a lake except they're not dead until you tap them with your sword? This will obviously reduce individual kill counts and make killing the mobs a little more work, but won't they die pretty easy once CON is zero and they are stunned? I think I need to see how this works in game before we make major judgments. Or maybe it's because I don't have the raid mentality that I don't care as much if my kill count is lower and i'm a support player or killing a mob takes 2 minutes instead of 1?

I guess the other thing they could do is just make the new areas in Mod 9 less vulnerable to the W/P weapons, like they made some bad guys less vulnerable to damage spells when casters were 'over powered' back in what, Mod 7?

Any DDO-based psychotherapy/profiling is welcome. Constructive please. One-line attempts at humor or uber-flames usually aren't good or funny. Trust me, I've trolled these boards for years ;)

Kalari
04-07-2009, 06:23 PM
I honestly cant say Ive never owned a w/p anything ive duel weilded a puncture in one hand and a wounder in another but that stopped being exciting and I rather paralyze a mob and help the party out more. Thing is just like paralyze theres fear that mobs wont be rendered helpless. Plenty of times ive paralyzed a monster only to have it move, strike and fire arrows not to mention the still able to burrow scorpions. And while the w/p change doesnt affect me the transmuting does to a certain affect.

But then again ive only been here a year and a half so i'll roll with the punches. Other players who have been here for years are getting fed up, they have rolled and re rolled made mules of builds and they are getting tired. And I know there are others who say suck it up, but when the outside world is tough and stressful as it has been lately and the only thing you have to de stress or feel competent or confident in is constantly rocked by changes that ruin your fun its kinda easy to see why people are up in arms and quitting.

Many say its just a game and yeah it is some of us get that, but to others it is a way to escape and live out fantasies that cannot happen in real life. So I honestly get why some are upset by it. And id still rather have them barking about this then actually leaving.

yeah im getting into a psychology rant now to so I think I'll stop here lol.

iamsamoth0
04-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Bah ha

iamsamoth0
04-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Snip~

~snip

That has to be the funniest thing I've read this week!!

Deadz
04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:lXfPWMMDMkSqaM:http://www.eyeballsex.com/v005/features/interviews/lama/lama001.jpg

The LAMA rules all! Here is our test servers mascot

Wurmwood
04-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I thought this would be funny

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3426/lamannia.png

Kintro
04-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Will the download manager have some kind of autodetect feature for bandwidth limits? I'm assuming it'll be uploading the whole time you're downloading which it's doing while you're playing. If the upload limits aren't set sensibly it'll swamp your upstream and new players may quit in the lagfest that ensues.

This is also a concern because lots of people don't know what an upstream is let alone what rate they get from their ISP (if the ISP even tells them anywhere on the website/welcome docs) or the impact filling it will have.

For anyone who cares: yes it does :p

edaciousx
04-10-2009, 01:59 AM
ummmmmmmm so i've been trying to get on the server all day. it won't download a single file. i've even left ddo lammania running for 5 hours in hopes of it getting some downloads but nope.... server just fails.