PDA

View Full Version : The Escapist Magazine March Mayhem Round 3!

Tarrant
03-26-2009, 08:46 AM
The first two rounds saw our awesome community take down a Naughty Dog and a hyper hedgehog but Round 3 is upon us and the competition is fierce! Bethesda is our next opponent and it's going to be a hard fight. There are those who are already counting us out but we know you guys have it in you to pull an upset here.

Head on over and vote (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournament/region/north) for Turbine in the North Division! Registration (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/registration/) is quick, easy, and necessary. Hurry, round three ends tomorrow!

Quanefel
03-26-2009, 08:49 AM
We are on it! :D

Question, are you all getting DDO Europe or the other worldwide servers for DDO involved too? We will need them as well as LOTRO fans. Every vote helps.....

DaveyCrockett
03-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Poke Tolero and get those notes up, and I promise Turbine wins! :D

Lifeblood
03-26-2009, 09:04 AM

Question, are you all getting DDO Europe or the other worldwide servers for DDO involved too? We will need them as well as LOTRO fans. Every vote helps.....

we need More to get on it

Turbine 128
Bethesda 144

The_Phenx
03-26-2009, 09:29 AM
I voted.. now fix the lag dangit... :D

Kraki
03-26-2009, 09:38 AM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_CSbXQDqg6Mg/ScuS0xidzaI/AAAAAAAAABI/QshNIz2zhGA/Win111%21one.JPG

I won the internet!

Kraki

Darn meetings, forgot to post earlier.

kaidendager
03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I voted for Turbine for round 1 and 2, but I can't by any stretch of the imagination say that Turbine has a better development team than Bethesda. Bethesda has been (and in all likelyhood will be for some time) my favorite developer. Never played a game I haven't enjoyed and most I've logged hundreds of hours with.

I'll likely be riding whoever wins this battle all the way though. Good luck my fellow DDOers and get out and vote no matter who its for!

Memnir
03-26-2009, 09:43 AM
I voted for the better developer.

Gol
03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
not voting till mod 9 comes out. already a month late with no word of release date yet.

Thrudh
03-26-2009, 09:59 AM
One positive impact...

One poster over there said... "What games has Turbine made? I've never even heard of them".

Another poster (not one of us) said "Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons Online... Yeah I never heard of them either until this contest"

The point is... usually when someone asks what games does Turbine make... someone responds with LOTR... now they're adding DDO to the list as well...

Very small recognition... But this contest is making some people aware of DDO...

RavenBrother
03-26-2009, 10:00 AM

Who do you think has been Carring Turbine :) Must be the LOTRO crowd... I know of too many DDO players voting the other way.

Hafeal
03-26-2009, 10:00 AM
How is being a #1 seed meaning you have to pull an upset? :p

Tarrant
03-26-2009, 10:05 AM
not voting till mod 9 comes out. already a month late with no word of release date yet.

I don't want to turn this into a Mod 9 release date discussion, but re-read your post for a moment. You're upset that we're "late", and you want us to give you another release date. Perhaps part of the reason we're hesitant to do that is because of the reactions that occur if we miss a date? We'd rather get it right than mislead you.

To the rest of you: I want to take a moment and tell you guys how proud I am of what you're accomplishing on the Escapist's forums. I've seen your enthusiasm convince people on those boards that've never heard of this game to come out and try it, and even Spinwhiz recognizes how passionate and important you all are.

Tolero's out today, but I know she feels the same way. Thank you from both of us and everyone else that works on this game. We don't always get it right, but never underestimate how much we appreciate this community and your importance to us. We love our jobs because you love our game; it's that simple.

Ustice
03-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks, Tarrant, that is really nice to hear. :)

Quanefel
03-26-2009, 10:12 AM
/bows to Tarrant

You all have given us 3 years of a great game, the least we can do is help you win a contest you deserve to win.

Vuedoo
03-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Ditto,, Thanks Tarant.

Very Close Vote Count All.. were down by 15 atm

Deathseeker
I don't want to turn this into a Mod 9 release date discussion, but re-read your post for a moment. You're upset that we're "late", and you want us to give you another release date. Perhaps part of the reason we're hesitant to do that is because of the reactions that occur if we miss a date? We'd rather get it right than mislead you.

To the rest of you: I want to take a moment and tell you guys how proud I am of what you're accomplishing on the Escapist's forums. I've seen your enthusiasm convince people on those boards that've never heard of this game to come out and try it, and even Spinwhiz recognizes how passionate and important you all are.

Tolero's out today, but I know she feels the same way. Thank you from both of us and everyone else that works on this game. We don't always get it right, but never underestimate how much we appreciate this community and your importance to us. We love our jobs because you love our game; it's that simple.

Classy response Tarrant.

My vote has been cast for Turbine (even though I did really enjoy Elder Scrolls). This one is going to be a tough battle, as unlike the prior couple of rounds, this developer hits a lot of the same audience as DDO/LOTRO/AC. However, unlike some of the other posters, I get the fact that Turbine getting more publicity translates to more subscriptions which translates to more resources for development.

Not sure how the logic of boycotting a vote translates to a better outcome for players. That would be assuming that Turbine is "choosing" not to release mod 9 and delaying it on purpose. That seems rather silly to me. If it isn't by choice, then boycotting will do nothing.

But either way, DDO is my main source of entertainment now and has been for months (if not years), so how can I not vote for you guys? I stopped playing Elder Scrolls after a month or so. Just doesn't compare even though the quality of the game itself was fantastic.

Gol
I don't want to turn this into a Mod 9 release date discussion, but re-read your post for a moment. You're upset that we're "late", and you want us to give you another release date. Perhaps part of the reason we're hesitant to do that is because of the reactions that occur if we miss a date? We'd rather get it right than mislead you.Oh, I understand software as well as anybody, been in the business for 10 years. I also understand deadlines and release dates. I fire people that say they'll have "X" functionality done by a date and consistently fail to deliver. They're bad developers. Maybe they have the technical skills, but if they can't estimate work even remotely accurately enough to be within 2 months of a date...

Hitting dates is part of the life of a software shop. I'm sorry you suck at it. Must be nice to not have any accountability. It'd get you fired most places.

Irongutz2000
03-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Ok I voted turbine 292 , beth 297 :/

Memnir
03-26-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't want to turn this into a Mod 9 release date discussion, but re-read your post for a moment. You're upset that we're "late", and you want us to give you another release date. Perhaps part of the reason we're hesitant to do that is because of the reactions that occur if we miss a date? We'd rather get it right than mislead you.Since you are in a talkative mood... and I'll keep Mod 9 out of it...

When will we see a lag fix? You posted about it once, and then nothing. No progress, no conversation, no news, nothing. The lag has far more people upset (myself included), and not inclined to vote in the poll. Many are in fact voting for your opponents in protest.

Can we get some sort of inkling on a fix to the lag - or will there be further silence as more of my friends decide to leave the game until there is a fix? I'm on their coattails, by the way. I know Turbine as a company won't care about my leaving - but it means a lot to me. I don't want to leave, but I am flatly tired of fighting the lag and frustration in what should be my leisure time.

HeavenlyCloud
03-26-2009, 10:21 AM

I have to say... all me. Go Go Turbine!

Lifeblood
03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Since you are in a talkative mood... and I'll keep Mod 9 out of it...

When will we see a lag fix?

I really don't understand what the ***** is about the lag..in 2 1/2 years of playing this game I have only had a few times that we wiped because of server side lag,

btw: Amiga 500 is not top of the line anymore :)

I also play other mmo's and the lag on those games is just as bad if not worse than DDO

Big-Dex
03-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Okay... I am caught up in this madness. Voted Turbine! 343-339 - Turbine up by 4. Not a huge lead guys. Better hit the polls.

Dex was here.

Memnir
03-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I really don't understand what the ***** is about the lag..in 2 1/2 years of playing this game I have only had a few times that we wiped because of server side lag,

I also play other mmo's and the lag on those games is just as bad if not worse than DDOIt's fine if you don't know what I'm talking about - the Devs do.
Guys, we know lag makes the game frustrating to play. We take a lot of pride in this game, and want you all to have the ultimate DDO experience. We want the lag eradicated. We're already working on fixes for lag issues, but unfortunately it is not as simple as flipping a switch and making it go away. These things take time, and we're going to need a little more.

Hang in there, we're doing everything we can, and we appreciate your patience. And may I just add, just because you don't have to deal with the lag does not mean there is no lag.

Deathseeker
03-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Hitting dates is part of the life of a software shop. I'm sorry you suck at it. Must be nice to not have any accountability. It'd get you fired most places.

Hitting dates yes, publishing dates no. What makes you think their internal development team has no deadline, has not been under pressure to get to final release, and people aren't pushing immensily internally?

Or are you suggesting a software company should take all of that internal management and post it on their forums so a tiny, cynical portion of their customer base that posts can follow along and comment negatively at every turn?

You want mod 9, everyone wants mod 9. It needs to be released. Everyone wants a date. We get it. Im sure they get it. They aren't releasing a date, which means they aren't confident yet that they have the final product tested and ready to launch. Simple as that, and no matter how much people post rants or threaten to not participate in the community, this won't change...simply because they have all the financial motivation in the world to release mod 9, and that outweighs any tiny post or threat to not vote by a few forum followers.

Here's a good analogy...

It's kind of like yelling at Dale Earnhardt Jr for not performing better in the race, boycotting his sponsor, and threatening you'll stop being his fan if he doesnt start winning. Im sure he's trying to win already, for a lot bigger incentive than because you're yelling at him. Im sure he also understands that if he doesnt perform well, he'll lose a ton of money and fans because of poor performance. Yelling at him accomplishes nothing...

...the biggest risk, like Turbine's, is that we'll move to another competitor and honestly enjoy them more. And I'm sure they know that clearly and are doing everything they can to get us what we so desperately want.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Tolero's out today

So you are admitting that the reason the mod is late is that you get vacation/sick/personal days? :mad: This is unacceptable! You all need to be chained to your desks until the mod is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

And ya, I agree, mod 9 release date shouldn't have anything to do with who wins, blackmail is ignorant, and often counterproductive.

On the issue of release dates... Release dates ARE good, but you really really need to learn to add the Scotty factor. If you do that, you will make people happy. This isn't unique to you, its very common in the IT industry, programmers are very bad at realizing that problems can be more complex than they first expect.

Deathseeker
03-26-2009, 10:41 AM

When will we see a lag fix? You posted about it once, and then nothing. No progress, no conversation, no news, nothing. The lag has far more people upset (myself included), and not inclined to vote in the poll. Many are in fact voting for your opponents in protest.

Can we get some sort of inkling on a fix to the lag - or will there be further silence as more of my friends decide to leave the game until there is a fix? I'm on their coattails, by the way. I know Turbine as a company won't care about my leaving - but it means a lot to me. I don't want to leave, but I am flatly tired of fighting the lag and frustration in what should be my leisure time.

While I disagree with some of the complaining here about the mod 9 release date, I totally agree with Memnir on the lag. Anticipation of mod releases is a normal part of the MMO cycle. But lag that makes the game somewhat or completely unplayable is not a reasonable thing to deal with, and not communicating on this or providing any hope for improvement doesnt' help.

I think this is a far more serious threat than a delay on mod 9. Whether mod 9 comes out in April or May, it will still come out. We currently have no idea if the lag will ever go away. Some honestly believe its an inherent flaw in the design of either the game or the infrastructure and their may be no near term solution. Without communication to the contrary, this will lead to more and more silent departures.

Still should vote for Turbine in this poll, but yes, I agree with you Mem, we need some regular lag communication as its become that big of an occurance.

With that all said, I do not personally experience it to the level many on Thelanis are reporting. But I have been in plenty of parties with enough frustrated players to know that its not imaginary or specific to a handful of players. I just mean that its a tricky issue and isnt consistent across the board, which probably makes it even more difficult to tackle.

Lifeblood
03-26-2009, 10:42 AM
It's fine if you don't know what I'm talking about - the Devs do. And may I just add, just because you don't have to deal with the lag does not mean there is no lag.

I realize that just because I don't have serious issues with lag that others don't

what I don't understand tho is if it is ALL server side why are not all players having the same issue

uhgungawa
03-26-2009, 10:47 AM

I also play other mmo's and the lag on those games is just as bad if not worse than DDO

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll have to agree with Memnir on this one, just not how he and his guildies go about it. There has been a major increase in party wide lag, along with instance only crashes and server wide crashes. And DDO has become Turbine's red headed stepchild. But I'm sticking with Turbine for the time being because DDO is still the best game out there (way better than LotR even).

So get out there and vote, and put in a good word for DDO. The more it's out there the better chance Turbine will want to get the ball rolling :D

And BTW, I run a run a 3.2 duel core, 8800 vid card, 4 gigs of ram, and a 10 meg line, and i'm still getting the lag

DagazUlf
03-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Not sure how the logic of boycotting a vote translates to a better outcome for players.

I don't think there's any logic there. It's some kind of knee-jerk response maybe? :confused:

Strakeln
03-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Oh, I understand software as well as anybody, been in the business for 10 years. I also understand deadlines and release dates. I fire people that say they'll have "X" functionality done by a date and consistently fail to deliver. They're bad developers. Maybe they have the technical skills, but if they can't estimate work even remotely accurately enough to be within 2 months of a date...

Hitting dates is part of the life of a software shop. I'm sorry you suck at it. Must be nice to not have any accountability. It'd get you fired most places.He's right, you know.

No one in the industry likes deadlines, but the vast majority of us have to meet them anyway.

Big-Dex
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
For the record...

Bethseda:

Round 1: 2288 votes
Round 2: 2278 votes

Turbine:

Round 1: 1947 votes
Round 2: 1942 votes

Them's some pretty consistent numbers... so unless we get in there and politic some votes from other matches and/or get all our player base out, we not gonna pull this one out. We need 300+ new votes based on the averages to win.

Hit your guildies up. Push it in game a bit. Could be fun!

Dex was here.

Maybe if we can pull out the big win, they can give us a little more bonus XP???!!! :p;):D:cool:

Thrudh
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I realize that just because I don't have serious issues with lag that others don't

what I don't understand tho is if it is ALL server side why are not all players having the same issue

It appears to be instance specific... I can walk into House J and experience horrific lag where I can barely move, then enter a quest and everything is okay....

Also, the high-end quests seem to be more affected than the low-end quests. Shroud Part 4 can be unplayable at times...

Memnir
03-26-2009, 10:55 AM

what I don't understand tho is if it is ALL server side why are not all players having the same issueThe lag seems to be instance specific. So, while it's not effecting 100% of the server 100% of the time - everyone in a particular instance will be lagging the same amount - regardless of computer specs, geography, internet providers, etc. In the Shroud, for example, it's not uncommon for clerics to see nobody taking damage and then in the literal blink of an eye half the party is dead. In Tangleroot of all places - lag is horrendous at times, leading to total party wipes mid-chain due to spells not going off and attacks not landing.

And even though I said the lag is not 100% server-wide, there are spikes in public zones that are worse than anything I've seen since the Titan launch snafu. The Marketplace is often an exercise in frustration getting across... often the same story can be said of the other houses as well.

Thelanis seems to be getting the worst of it, in relation to other servers. But, one server or all of em... it's a game-breaking issue that needs to be resolved.

uhgungawa
03-26-2009, 10:57 AM
For the record...

Bethseda:

Turbine:

Them's some pretty consistent numbers... so unless we get in there and politic some votes from other matches and/or get all our player base out, we not gonna pull this one out. We need 300+ new votes based on the averages to win.

Dex was here.

Maybe if we can pull out the big win, they can give us a little more bonus XP???!!! :p;):D:cool:

Just remember, they went up against easier opponents then we did. we had less votes, but had way more total votes casted in the rounds :D

Gol
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Hitting dates yes, publishing dates no. What makes you think their internal development team has no deadline, has not been under pressure to get to final release, and people aren't pushing immensily internally?

Or are you suggesting a software company should take all of that internal management and post it on their forums so a tiny, cynical portion of their customer base that posts can follow along and comment negatively at every turn?
Publishing dates in the software world is common practice. Microsoft says they'll have Windows 7 done first quarter 2010. Long way off, broad time range. The company I work for has told customers we'll have stuff done by April 1. We're done testing and deploying now. I'm suggesting there's no reason to withhold the information if they have competent staff to do the work.

Here's a good analogy...

It's kind of like yelling at Dale Earnhardt Jr for not performing better in the race, boycotting his sponsor, and threatening you'll stop being his fan if he doesnt start winning. Im sure he's trying to win already, for a lot bigger incentive than because you're yelling at him. Im sure he also understands that if he doesnt perform well, he'll lose a ton of money and fans because of poor performance. Yelling at him accomplishes nothing...Bad analogy.

Turbine is asking us to go vote for them being the best developers. Consistently failing to deliver on time for 3 years, being unable to eradicate a lag problem, and dangling the "vast and mysterious" carrot are all characteristics of bad developers. Why on earth would I vote for them as the best developer?

In your analogy, it'd be like Dale asking you to vote for him as best driver on a fan site if he consistently finishes in the back of the pack. I don't care what his name is, you'd be a moron to vote for a back-of-the-pack driver in a "best driver" poll.

DaggomaticDwarf
03-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Bad analogy.

Turbine is asking us to go vote for them being the best developers. Consistently failing to deliver on time for 3 years, being unable to eradicate a lag problem, and dangling the "vast and mysterious" carrot are all characteristics of bad developers. Why on earth would I vote for them as the best developer?

In your analogy, it'd be like Dale asking you to vote for him as best driver on a fan site if he consistently finishes in the back of the pack. I don't care what his name is, you'd be a moron to vote for a back-of-the-pack driver in a "best driver" poll.

Good point bro, I'm guessing the entire Turbine staff are sitting at their desk watching the vote instead of I don't know fixing the lag issues. so let do US a favor and vote em OUT. GET BACK TO WORK

SneakThief
03-26-2009, 11:11 AM
The first two rounds saw our awesome community take down a Naughty Dog and a hyper hedgehog but Round 3 is upon us and the competition is fierce! Bethesda is our next opponent and it's going to be a hard fight. There are those who are already counting us out but we know you guys have it in you to pull an upset here.

Head on over and vote (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournament/region/north) for Turbine in the North Division! Registration (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/registration/) is quick, easy, and necessary. Hurry, round three ends tomorrow!

Promise its not another PvP poke in the eye and I will go vote .... What am I saying ... I will go vote anyway, but I only have one eye left to see th screen, so no more poking!

North Standings

Match 1: (1) Turbine vs (5) Bethesda
(1) Turbine: 457 | 419 :(5) Bethesda

Match 2: (2) Valve vs (3) Capcom
(2) Valve: 429 | 240 :(3) Capcom

Demoyn
03-26-2009, 11:17 AM

You want mod 9, everyone wants mod 9. It needs to be released. Everyone wants a date. We get it. Im sure they get it. They aren't releasing a date, which means they aren't confident yet that they have the final product tested and ready to launch. Simple as that, and no matter how much people post rants or threaten to not participate in the community, this won't change...simply because they have all the financial motivation in the world to release mod 9, and that outweighs any tiny post or threat to not vote by a few forum followers.

Realistically, nobody's threatening Turbine like you seem to believe. The people that are upset and posting do so because they love the game (or at least did a few months ago) and they don't want to leave, but they aren't satisfied with the current state of the game. The posts are really more to give Turbine the chance to salvage their subscriptions because the posters really don't want to leave.

Most companies have tests where they poll their users to find out what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong. It helps to set their priorities. This is much the same thing, but Turbine can't seem to get their priorities straight even with our help.

Vhlad
03-26-2009, 11:18 AM

^ This. Please fix the lag on Thelanis.

Lifeblood
03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
The lag seems to be instance specific. So, while it's not effecting 100% of the server 100% of the time - everyone in a particular instance will be lagging the same amount - regardless of computer specs, geography, internet providers, etc. In the Shroud, for example, it's not uncommon for clerics to see nobody taking damage and then in the literal blink of an eye half the party is dead. In Tangleroot of all places - lag is horrendous at times, leading to total party wipes mid-chain due to spells not going off and attacks not landing.

And even though I said the lag is not 100% server-wide, there are spikes in public zones that are worse than anything I've seen since the Titan launch snafu. The Marketplace is often an exercise in frustration getting across... often the same story can be said of the other houses as well.

Thelanis seems to be getting the worst of it, in relation to other servers. But, one server or all of em... it's a game-breaking issue that needs to be resolved.

Thanks that explains it a bit..

MJNOR1
03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=Tarrant;2113755]I don't want to turn this into a Mod 9 release date discussion, but re-read your post for a moment. You're upset that we're "late", and you want us to give you another release date. Perhaps part of the reason we're hesitant to do that is because of the reactions that occur if we miss a date? We'd rather get it right than mislead you.

Tarrant,

You guys are GREAT! For the record I just voted and Turbine has pulled ahead by 40 votes! 470 to 430.

As for Mod 9 and being "late".........Turbine is providing EXACTLY what they said they would provide when I signed up and that is a wonderful game to play......the FREE updates that were never part of the original deal are a BONUS and I have no sense of entitlement to them....they are just extra benefits.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to You, Tolero and the rest of the Turbine team.

Oxvon
03-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Even if there is lag now and everyone is dying waiting for mod 9, the last 3 years I have been playing this game have been very enjoyable and have kept me entertained for way longer than any of the other developer's games on the list. That is why I voted for Turbine.

Memnir
03-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks that explains it a bit..Not a problem. :) I at least try to not come across like a raving lunatic... even if it happens naturally more often than not. hehehe

And, even if Tarrant, Tolero, and Turbine (T-squared) cannot speak in terms of specifics - it's my observed opinion that those who are dealing with the lag are in dire need of some moral support.

But then again, communication seems to be something Turbine no longer feels is worth pursuing. I'm probably just tilting at windmills each time I bring this up - but it's only because I do care about the game and the people who play it.

Mockduck
03-26-2009, 11:30 AM
This will be a close competition, I think! Vote if you can!

Deathseeker
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Realistically, nobody's threatening Turbine like you seem to believe.

I was responding to this...

As for this one...

Bad analogy.

Actually...fair point. I don't disagree...if you think Bethesda is truly a better developer than Turbine, then its a fair point to vote for Bethesda on merit...no argument, similar to your example of voting for a bad driver as "best driver".

My point is if you are voting against Turbine as a "punitive" move for not publishing mod 9, then that makes no sense to me. But if lack of mod 9 info pushes them below Bethesda in your opinion, and that's your honest view, then yes, I'd agree it would make sense to vote for Bethesda.

That's the difference...voting as a punitive measure makes no sense to me. Voting for the best developer as you see it is very understandable. That's why I didnt respond to Memnir's sarcastic "I voted for the best developer" response because, well, can't argue with that if that's what you truly believe.

But if I believed that Bethesda was better, I'd be spending my time playing their games instead of Turbines. As my wife will unhappily attest to, I spend all my time with Turbine :)

Gum
03-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Hey, no problem at all, happy to help. Thank you guys for the love of the game and all your dedication. ;)

gserlenga
03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
I voted for Turbine, despite my own and everyone else's numerous and legitimate complaints about DDO, I could never bring myself to play another MMO. D&D is the real thing, everything else is a pale imitation. Also, seeing more mention of DDO and the strong community here at widely read and popular gaming sites like the Escapist can only do good things for the future of this game.

Gol
03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
My point is if you are voting against Turbine as a "punitive" move for not publishing mod 9, then that makes no sense to me. But if lack of mod 9 info pushes them below Bethesda in your opinion, and that's your honest view, then yes, I'd agree it would make sense to vote for Bethesda.It's not punitive at all. I realize my original post likely does not reflect the entirety of how I feel on the subject and why I'd refuse to vote, so I'll clarify.

My point (at least IMHO as a seasoned software developer and 8 year Turbine customer) is that I could NEVER vote for Turbine as a "best developer" in good faith. I resent the fact that they hold the D&D MMO license every time I log on. I quit Asheron's Call b/c I was fed up with Turdbin and their mismanagement and bad SDLC processes. I continue to log on to the only D&D MMO out there because of the D&D logo, despite whoever is running it. I'm a D&D fan first and will be here until my dislike for Turbine outweighs my desire to play a D&D MMO.

I'd love to be in a situation where I can help fix this, but it's ultimately not up to developers and software architects. It has to be driven by the management and business side of the house. Hopefully that new COO they hired will be able to effect some changes.

The_Phenx
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM

Tarrant. Something you may want to mentin to the powers that be.

Even if you don't want to set a concrete date there are LOTS of other ways you can appease the masses.

A mod status tracker for example.

For example, I can guanantee most folks didn't realize there was a concept art phase...So right now what we have is a mod that has been a LONG time in development, which is fine because we all want a lot more to do, but you know whats going on because your behind the scenes... all we see from our end is a blank wall with little tidbits rarely. the masses have no idea that today Eladrin might be scripting XXX... or that Mod 9 is hung up because they found a giant glitch in the alpha testing.. .or... you get the point. We all liked the WDA because it showed us what was going on... so if you dont want to be specific fine, but you could be general and still make everyone feel included.

Me I just play, but I understand the frustration, and desire for knowledge.

bobbryan2
03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Really Tarrant?

"If you guys are gonna get mad that we don't meet our own set deadlines, we're just not gonna tell you deadlines anymore!"

You make it seem like DDO players are in the wrong for getting mad that you guys can't keep your own set deadlines.

I don't remember when you guys came out and said, "Hey guys, we absolutely can't keep up with the 4 mods a year, so don't expect 'em."

Until you say that, we have a reasonable expectation of getting a mod every 3 months.

If you're annoyed at the players' "whining," maybe you should get mad at management and the devs who actually can control whether or not they hit deadlines, as opposed to the players that have no real say in the matter.

miceelf88
03-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Honestly, Tarrant, for me at least the issue isn't mod 9.

It's the ability to play the game. I love you guys' work in general. But the lag situation is really harshing my buzz. It's hard to be very enthusiastic about the game and especially about turbine with the lag situation being what it is, and no apparent movement on it and no update (note- you focused on complaints about mod 9, and didn't even acknowledge the lag issue).

If my theory is correct, and you really can't do anything about the lag because it's a turbine-higher-up decision, well, it still isn't good from a player perspective.

I don't care about mod 9. the lag is why you don't have my vote as much as I love DDO, when I can play it.

ThrasherGT
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
As of now:

Turbine: 828

Bethesda: 714

Keep it up Guys and Gals!

Nick_RC
03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Had to throw my vote turbines way. 3 years and counting of good times and fond memories. Yup mod 9 needs to happen but this is some good publicity. More customers = more money to help the game.

N

Babidi
03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
You know what im wondering? Even if LOTRO have a bigger community, Im checking more votes from DDO players...we rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarrant
03-26-2009, 01:39 PM

I've been waiting all day to post this (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=177071).

Demoyn
03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I've been waiting all day to post this (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=177071).

I'm excited by this news, but it does open up more questions. I'm happy enough that the lag may be fixed soon that I wouldn't want to start a war of words, but I'm honestly curious as to why Turbine knew that the lag started becoming an issue right about the time they moved data centers but they still tried to get us to believe that the lag was coming from our end?

Vendra
03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm excited by this news, but it does open up more questions. I'm happy enough that the lag may be fixed soon that I wouldn't want to start a war of words, but I'm honestly curious as to why Turbine knew that the lag started becoming an issue right about the time they moved data centers but they still tried to get us to believe that the lag was coming from our end?

I can only guess at this one but I think its because they believed it was on the end of the players. I do not believe that they just out and out lied to us or tried to mislead us. I think they were just working to try and find the source of the problem which meants narrowing down things which takes a while.

Demoyn
03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
I can only guess at this one but I think its because they believed it was on the end of the players. I do not believe that they just out and out lied to us or tried to mislead us. I think they were just working to try and find the source of the problem which meants narrowing down things which takes a while.

No, these guys are IT professionals. The third rule of IT is that if you notice a problem shortly after a change, revert to the original and see if the problem persists. Obviously the first two rules are "reboot" and "check cables".

Vhlad
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM

It's probably what the owners of the data centers were telling them! :p

Anyway,THANK YOU!! AHHH, die lag, die, DIE!! *shakes fist* March 30 you're going down! (or I'm going to cry).

<3

Gotta vote Turbine to #1 now!

Kistilan
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM

They moved datacenters, so my educated guess was troubleshoot, evaluate and then reitterate with the third-party that was hosting their datacenters. In this sense the datacenter was unable to deliver and after a few gentle pushes they renegotiated a termination.

Also, more bang for the buck -- termination of service to last possible date (March 30) would be correct on a quarterly billing cycle. Losing thousands of dollars by not utilizing a service would be a bad business decision and affect DDO's profits in the long run (and therefore cause issues with the higher-management providing DDO extra funds in fiscal 2010 due to lower profit margins in 2009).

PS: Take The #1 Seed to the Finals guys. Turbine needs our support and the notoriety/publicity is getting the word out that this community rocks & that it might be worth check'n out Turbine games!

Invalid_50
03-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Normally I dont get into stuff like this. It's my disgust with bethesda that motivates me.

Whatever it takes though right Tarrant? :)

Quanefel
03-26-2009, 03:14 PM
You know what we need? A song to get us motivated more. How is this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iikKzQwgBJc

Trillea
03-26-2009, 03:21 PM
(1) Turbine: 1056 | 973 : (5) Bethesda

We're winning, but barely.

VOTE FOR TURBINE!

Kistilan
03-26-2009, 03:38 PM
(1) Turbine: 1056 | 973 : (5) Bethesda

We're winning, but barely.

VOTE FOR TURBINE!

Rally! Lag is now scheduled for some good voodoo! Show your support! :)

You know what we need? A song to get us motivated more. How is this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iikKzQwgBJc

How about the same idea... but really like Turbine? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1ZWQKgyMo

Quanefel
03-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Rally! Lag is now scheduled for some good voodoo! Show your support! :)

How about the same idea... but really like Turbine? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1ZWQKgyMo

Even better! More in the theme of things. :)

Thrudh
03-26-2009, 04:12 PM
No, these guys are IT professionals. The third rule of IT is that if you notice a problem shortly after a change, revert to the original and see if the problem persists. Obviously the first two rules are "reboot" and "check cables".

Kind of hard to revert a datacenter move :)

But yeah, I'm sure they suspected it was the new datacenter's fault... And I'm sure there were a LOT of heated discussions between Turbine's IT and the new datacenter...

The fourth rule of IT is that sporadic problems SUCK... I'd much rather troubleshoot a "doesn't work at all" situation than a "fails 10% of the time" situation. If you think about how many disparate parts there are to an MMO, yeesh... nailing down a sporadic problem can not be fun...

Mirta
03-26-2009, 04:38 PM

A month late? Don't you mean 4 months late?

Memnir
03-26-2009, 04:54 PM
I've been waiting all day to post this (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=177071).I cannot express enough how much that will mean to a lot of people. Thank you.

......http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/applause.gif

Ah hell, this deserves more than applause. This needs a:

........http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/rockon2.gif

Rog
03-26-2009, 05:16 PM
I cannot express enough how much that will mean to a lot of people. Thank you.

......http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/applause.gif

Ah hell, this deserves more than applause. This needs a:

........http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/rockon2.gif

so reminds me of a time we stole my friends mom car. dosed up and listened to queen taking a trip of are lives that rocks hard

Rog
03-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Turbine 53% (1372)
(5) Bethesda 47% (1217)

we got are self a real dog fight get your servers to come vote

DoctorWhofan
03-26-2009, 06:35 PM
We are leading by 100 votes...

DoctorWhofan
03-26-2009, 09:34 PM
1705 to 1507 Turbine.

Alcamez
03-26-2009, 09:56 PM
I have given ya almost three years of my time and you guys gave me a great game with a great community. Most of the other names your up against gave me entertainment for roughly two weeks than I am bored with it. Im just hoping those guys from "escapist" dont send me spam for registering with em. Good luck with your tournament:p

oberon131313
03-26-2009, 10:17 PM
another for turbine....

Jendrak
03-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Turbine (1852) vs. Bethesda (1630)

Come on DDO. We got them on the ropes.

Lets finish these guys off and show Valve what they are in for.

Rog
03-27-2009, 01:27 AM
now they done it they called us WOW wanna be's. alright i can deal with yelling about being newbies but when they went and said we spent are last 3 years being a wow wanna be's thats JUST wrong man. not looking to get banned or i would open up the blow torch on them boys"}

DoctorWhofan
03-27-2009, 01:46 AM
now they done it they called us WOW wanna be's. alright i can deal with yelling about being newbies but when they went and said we spent are last 3 years being a wow wanna be's thats JUST wrong man. not looking to get banned or i would open up the blow torch on them boys"}

Done.

Stormanne
03-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Currently a 200+ lead in our favor. Aside from them casting aspersions about us being WoW clones, a considerably less hostile round..

Tatuum
03-27-2009, 02:44 AM
(1893) turbine

(1692) bethesda

Jendrak
03-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Currently a 200+ lead in our favor. Aside from them casting aspersions about us being WoW clones, a considerably less hostile round..

With comments like that not for long :D

Raiderone
03-27-2009, 08:19 AM
I voted for Turbine. As far as Bethesda goes, the only game I've ever played from them was Fallout3. It was good, but DDO is way better.

I figure Bethesda will be the toughest competition. Maybe Bioware?

Kistilan
03-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Yes. That will be our hardest fight, hands down. I know a lot of users continue to say it will be Valve, but truthfully Bioware has some games ready to release or enroute for 2010 that scream "we're not gonna take it lying down!"

DragonsAge & Star Wars: The Old Republic are amazing games utilizing the HeroEngine (which is arguably quite possibly the most advanced MMO/RPG engine available on the market today). Hero's Journey hasn't ever been released, but the engine itself has enough R&D to make it a real show stopper.

Combine that with the legions of fantasy & star wars fans and you've got a deadly combo. It's going to be SWG all over again X 1000 percent because it's Bioware and they know how to make a good RPG.

ahpook
03-27-2009, 08:36 AM
I voted for Turbine. As far as Bethesda goes, the only game I've ever played from them was Fallout3. It was good, but DDO is way better.

I would guess valve to be the big challenge.

Raiderone
For the record...

Bethseda:

Turbine:

Dex was here.

It's all about who the competition is.
Bethesda won both in landslides and had no competition to sway the vote.
So anyone voting had an easy choice. NOT anymore.

Here's my predition, The Winner from this matchup(Turbine/Bethesda) in Round3 will win it all. Look at the overall quantity of votes. Close to 4000 votes already.

Turbine...

Cathartic
North Standings
(1) Turbine: 2008 | 1825 :(5) Bethesda

(2) Valve: 2035 | 931 :(3) Capcom

West Standings
Match 1: (1) Nintendo vs (4) Konami
(1) Nintendo: 1460 | 927 :(4) Konami

Match 2: (2) Epic vs (3) Square Enix
(2) Epic: 1102 | 1331 :(3) Square Enix

East Standings
Match 1: (1) Activision Blizzard vs (12) Relic
(1) Activision Blizzard: 1759 | 1772 :(12) Relic

Match 2: (2) Harmonix vs (3) Namco Bandai
(2) Harmonix: 1169 | 1112 :(3) Namco Bandai

South Standings
Match 1: (1) Ubisoft Montreal vs (5) BioWare
(1) Ubisoft Montreal: 810 | 1597 :(5) BioWare

Match 2: (3) Rockstar vs (10) Neversoft
(3) Rockstar: 1557 | 756 :(10) Neversoft

Current standings, Blizzard is losing to Relic (barely)

Thrudh
03-27-2009, 09:03 AM
DragonsAge & Star Wars: The Old Republic are amazing games utilizing the HeroEngine (which is arguably quite possibly the most advanced MMO/RPG engine available on the market today). Hero's Journey hasn't ever been released, but the engine itself has enough R&D to make it a real show stopper.

Now that's interesting... I used to play Gemstone, an old (and VERY good) text-based MUD back in the 90s... Simutronics who made that game had decided to get into the graphical MMOs... They started the R&D for Hero's Journey like 10 years ago... I had heard that the engine they built from scratch was amazing...

Cool that they've made it... I will have to check out Hero's Journey when it comes out...

Thrudh
03-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I would guess valve to be the big challenge.

Pretty hard to vote against Valve... Have they EVER done anything wrong?

Bekki
03-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Yeah, that is going to be a tough match up.

adm5893
03-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Go Turbine...

Go DDO

/cheer

Belwaar
03-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm sorry...but I've actually never heard of Valve...what games do they make?

Kistilan
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm sorry...but I've actually never heard of Valve...what games do they make?

LMAO

This is the kind of post you'd expect to see on the escapistmagazine forums. :p Of course it would be referenced at Turbine, but still... a toucher!

EDIT: Here's some info for you. http://www.valvesoftware.com/

PS: I dig Portal the most but Half-Life has always been fun with the CounterStrike mods. Another great game that started at the same time as Asheron's Call (was playing CS in 1999). A great FPS company overall but still not my choice addiction.

Jendrak
03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
NM.... got ninja-ed by the answer. :)

Korvek
03-27-2009, 09:57 AM
According to their site, they're the ones that made the Half-Life series.

The only game of theirs I know I've played is Portal.

Kistilan
03-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Cool that they've made it... I will have to check out Hero's Journey when it comes out...

I don't know if they'll ever release Hero's Journey, although the graphics and flexibility are vast and wide-sweeping. Pure goodness if they do release that, even in 2012. However, I think it was a bit of a hyped development to sell the HeroEngine itself. It worked and the company that's utilizing it is doing some awesome stuff with that Engine.

You'll likely see DragonsAge (single/group play) and SW: ToR (MMORPG) before you ever see Hero's Journey.

Kistilan
03-27-2009, 10:01 AM
NM.... got ninja-ed by the answer. :)

I'm useful. :rolleyes:

PS: I'd be more useful if I wasn't recovering from a heavy night at an Irish Pub.

Quanefel
03-27-2009, 10:06 AM
For all those who enjoyed Homeworld, Homeworld: Cataclysm, and Homeworld 2, make sure to toss some votes their way. I personally enjoyed all of those games. Relic, the maker of those games are against Activision Blizzard this round, the makers of....WoW. Right now, they are fairly close together in their votes. Maybe help give relic a boost? ;)

Kistilan
03-27-2009, 10:11 AM
For all those who enjoyed Homeworld, Homeworld: Cataclysm, and Homeworld 2, make sure to toss some votes their way. I personally enjoyed all of those games. Relic, the maker of those games are against Activision Blizzard this round, the makers of....WoW. Right now, they are fairly close together in their votes. Maybe help give relic a boost? ;)

I gave Relic a vote based on name and competition. I mean c'mon, they're Relic! If we had the video game war to end all wars, they would be Relics of the Last War. How cool is that!!!

Oh and I dig Homeworld. I'd definitely like to see them in the finals.

PS: Q -- email me on the road & tell me your biz!

Zaal
03-27-2009, 10:13 AM

Without a doubt, TURBINE has my vote and yes, my nose is quite the darker shade of brown :)

ChadMan
03-27-2009, 10:14 AM
so did we win?????

Jendrak
03-27-2009, 10:25 AM
(1) Turbine: 2074 | 1871 (5) Bethesda

(2) Valve: 2092 | 950 (3) Capcom

Not yet but we are in the lead.

Polls wont close until today so keep pounding those votes in.

And from the standings right now it looks like the biggest fight comes next round when we have to duke it out with Valve. That ones gonna get nasty quick so bring you Vorps, Greater Banes, HELL bring the neighbors dog we are gonna need all the firepower we can find.

Quanefel
03-27-2009, 10:25 AM
I gave Relic a vote based on name and competition. I mean c'mon, they're Relic! If we had the video game war to end all wars, they would be Relics of the Last War. How cool is that!!!

Oh and I dig Homeworld. I'd definitely like to see them in the finals.

PS: Q -- email me on the road & tell me your biz!

I still have all those games here at home. Although I have not played them in years, I still love them because other than RPG's I LOVE space based drama type games. To me, anyone can swing a sword and kill a dragon. Yet, can everyone build an empire and a fleet of ships to take over the whole galaxy? Mmmmm......

Still waiting for Star Trek online to come out this year or next. When it does finally come out, I will still play DDO but not as much. I NEED my fix of space based drama.

Quanefel
03-27-2009, 10:26 AM
(1) Turbine: 2074 | 1871 (5) Bethesda

(2) Valve: 2092 | 950 (3) Capcom

Not yet but we are in the lead.

Polls wont close until today so keep pounding those votes in.

And from the standings right now it looks like the biggest fight comes next round when we have to duke it out with Valve. That ones gonna get nasty quick so bring you Vorps, Greater Banes, HELL bring the neighbors dog we are gonna need all the firepower we can find.

All the more reason to get Capcom ahead of Valve this round.....ahem. >.>

LeslieWest_GuitarGod
03-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I actually have high hopes that this "competition" sheds some quality spotlight-age on DDO and we pick up some new blood. That would be a big win for us ALL.

Vuedoo
03-27-2009, 10:35 AM
All the more reason to get Capcom ahead of Valve this round.....ahem. >.>
Well I actually Voted for Valve being the better of the two in round 3 and I am sure allot of Turbine folks did the same. So in Round four my estimate is for valve to be missing many of there current Turbine Votes. But I still think its gonna be close

ace1p
03-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I Voted For Turbine....

Bekki
03-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Valve may have gotten allot of votes to based
on who they would rather have US go up against...

And the loss of those votes may really hurt valve as well...
then, the same can be said for us it Should be one heck of a battle!

DoctorWhofan
03-27-2009, 11:34 AM
I liked portal, but the rest was horrid! So I picked Capcom.

I voted for Relic cuz a half hour on one of their games was better than ANY Blizzard game, ever.

DoctorWhofan
03-27-2009, 12:13 PM
current standings

Current Standings
Round 3 polls are open.

North Standings
(1) Turbine: 2165 | 1938 :(5) Bethesda

(2) Valve: 2175 | 996 :(3) Capcom

West Standings
(1) Nintendo: 1541 | 995 :(4) Konami

(2) Epic: 1171 | 1413 :(3) Square Enix

East Standings
(1) Activision Blizzard: 1892 | 1900 :(12) Relic

(2) Harmonix: 1243 | 1181 :(3) Namco Bandai

South Standings
(1) Ubisoft Montreal: 864 | 1698 :(5) BioWare

(3) Rockstar: 1657 | 802 :(10) Neversoft

Deuce
03-27-2009, 12:22 PM
We’re about 200 votes up on Bethesda (Go Turbine!!!), but what’s killing me is looking at the votes for our competition. Assuming no last minute upset, we’ll be going against Valve – and it looks like we’re within 10 votes of what they’re getting this round. If we wanna take down Valve to advance to the final (and get even more info about Mod 9 from the dev’s) we’re really gonna have to get the word out and motivate the players to vote.

Tarrant/Tolero – we’re doing our part, but we’re gonna need some serious help on this next round. Anything you can do on your part to really rally the troops – both from DDO and LOTR?

Heh – seriously, at this point its not about the mod 9 info – I just wanna win to show up the forumites at the Escapist.

RazorrX
03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
I have supported Turbine, just really really thankful that Turbine is not up against Bioware . . . yet. :-)

If that happens, It is gonna be a hard choice. DM and builder for NWN persistant world for a long time, love every game they made, looking forward to Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, Star Wars: TOR MMO looks tasty . . . May have to skip that round. :)

DoctorWhofan
03-27-2009, 12:25 PM
We’re about 200 votes up on Bethesda (Go Turbine!!!), but what’s killing me is looking at the votes for our competition. Assuming no last minute upset, we’ll be going against Valve – and it looks like we’re within 10 votes of what they’re getting this round. If we wanna take down Valve to advance to the final (and get even more info about Mod 9 from the dev’s) we’re really gonna have to get the word out and motivate the players to vote.

Tarrant/Tolero – we’re doing our part, but we’re gonna need some serious help on this next round. Anything you can do on your part to really rally the troops – both from DDO and LOTR?

Heh – seriously, at this point its not about the mod 9 info – I just wanna win to show up the forumites at the Escapist.

REMEMBER! Alot of Turbine players voted for Valve. THey can lose alot of votes if Turbine comes through.

Wrustle
03-27-2009, 12:32 PM
So far, in the first 3 rounds, I have voted Turbine without question. Now, if Turbine make it round 4, I will be a bit torn on voting. Half-Life is one of my all-time favorite games I have ever played. It was my first real online experience with gaming and the only FPS I ever really gave a crud about. Round 4 will be interesting.

Thrudh
03-27-2009, 12:35 PM
So far, in the first 3 rounds, I have voted Turbine without question. Now, if Turbine make it round 4, I will be a bit torn on voting. Half-Life is one of my all-time favorite games I have ever played. It was my first real online experience with gaming and the only FPS I ever really gave a crud about. Round 4 will be interesting.

Yep... Half-life, Half-life2, Portal, Left 4 Dead... Even Steam is awesome...

Every game I've ever played from Valve has been awesome.... Portal was so different, that they should get triple points for that one. Left 4 Dead is the game I play when I'm not playing DDO...

Going to be a tough choice...

Of course, every game I've ever played from Turbine has been awesome (I've only played DDO)

:)

Drwaz99
03-27-2009, 01:54 PM

This says nothing about lag on the servers. It's a generic standard customer service notification. Sig also says in another post:

I do not anticipate this will fix all the reasons for lag but we expect an improvement.

Thats not too encouraging. Expect = guessing (maybe partial) = not understanding the problem completely.

As Gol mentioned, as in any other company a failure to reach a deadline would result in the loss of jobs for anyone related to that project. It's seem, from my perspective (and others if you read the posts) there is no accountability in your offices and this is an acceptable occurrence. You have shown us nothing contrary. You say you love your jobs, yet your very lucky you have them. If this was to happen in any of the companies I have ran, you (as in those resulting in the missed deadlines and poor Customer Service, i.e. Standardized Responses to everything and dangling the carrot in front of everyone all "Business 101" tactics) would not have one.

Now to encourage people to vote you are the the Best Developer because we like the game is a misnomer. Just because you may like the game, that's does not necessarily mean they are the Best Developer. The "Best", hits deadlines, when they don't explain why (hint, communication), have good customer service (non standard responses), produce a fantastic product that is as flawless as possible, etc, etc...Sure nothing is going to be perfect, but in reality if you look at it from a business standpoint (which I almost have my Masters in, FYI) I haven't seen anything that I could honestly says that Turbine is the best. Nothing.

Your posts suggests (or should I say has a tone to it) you are getting irritated with the complaints. I probably would be too, but if you aren't going to tell us anything other than what the Dell reps in India read you when you call them, what do you expect?

What makes a good company better and something I have always believed in and it's always worked?

Honesty and Communication. Basic relationship (and Turbine does have a relationship together with it's consumers, another Psych 101 topic.) fundamental.

If your having a hard time coding, or have errors/bugs, anything that postpones the "expected" release date (whether announced or not), tell us. We may be irritated a bit, but I guarantee you it would be to a much lessor degree than than flak your getting now.

Gol, and I could be wrong here, so forgive me if I am but I believe they hired a new CMO, which, unfortunately won't help getting things done on time as a COO would or should I say could.

"Vast and mysterious" and "Soon" while originally comical, is old and dead. Time to turn a new leaf over and re-evaluate how things are ran. While the Developers are a good portion of the problem, it also goes up the tree and you can't place the the blame on one group, management is just a responsible if not more.

Turbine the best Developer? Um, no. Sorry.

cdbd3rd
03-27-2009, 02:17 PM
@ 2:15 CDT:

(1) Turbine 52.7% (2230)
(5) Bethesda 47.3% (2001)

Belwaar
03-27-2009, 02:31 PM
This says nothing about lag on the servers. It's a generic standard customer service notification. Sig also says in another post:

Thats not too encouraging. Expect = guessing (maybe partial) = not understanding the problem completely.

As Gol mentioned, as in any other company a failure to reach a deadline would result in the loss of jobs for anyone related to that project. It's seem, from my perspective (and others if you read the posts) there is no accountability in your offices and this is an acceptable occurrence. You have shown us nothing contrary. You say you love your jobs, yet your very lucky you have them. If this was to happen in any of the companies I have ran, you (as in those resulting in the missed deadlines and poor Customer Service, i.e. Standardized Responses to everything and dangling the carrot in front of everyone all "Business 101" tactics) would not have one.

Now to encourage people to vote you are the the Best Developer because we like the game is a misnomer. Just because you may like the game, that's does not necessarily mean they are the Best Developer. The "Best", hits deadlines, when they don't explain why (hint, communication), have good customer service (non standard responses), produce a fantastic product that is as flawless as possible, etc, etc...Sure nothing is going to be perfect, but in reality if you look at it from a business standpoint (which I almost have my Masters in, FYI) I haven't seen anything that I could honestly says that Turbine is the best. Nothing.

Your posts suggests (or should I say has a tone to it) you are getting irritated with the complaints. I probably would be too, but if you aren't going to tell us anything other than what the Dell reps in India read you when you call them, what do you expect?

What makes a good company better and something I have always believed in and it's always worked?

Honesty and Communication. Basic relationship (and Turbine does have a relationship together with it's consumers, another Psych 101 topic.) fundamental.

If your having a hard time coding, or have errors/bugs, anything that postpones the "expected" release date (whether announced or not), tell us. We may be irritated a bit, but I guarantee you it would be to a much lessor degree than than flak your getting now.

Gol, and I could be wrong here, so forgive me if I am but I believe they hired a new CMO, which, unfortunately won't help getting things done on time as a COO would or should I say could.

"Vast and mysterious" and "Soon" while originally comical, is old and dead. Time to turn a new leaf over and re-evaluate how things are ran. While the Developers are a good portion of the problem, it also goes up the tree and you can't place the the blame on one group, management is just a responsible if not more.

Wow...way to ruin the momentum. :mad::mad::mad:

ThrasherGT
03-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Oh My, where do I begin?

As a student of business, I'm sure You realize the suicidal nature of Sig saying : "This will 100% fix all the lag." No competent company would ever make such a claim about any aspect of a proposed fix to a hardware/ networking/ software problem. Assuming that Turbine "doesn't understand the problem" is a fallacious assumption. It is very likely a combination of factors that include all three. I'm no programmer, but going through millions of lines of code looking for a stray comma or period is certainly time consuming. I think We CAN assume that they are doing the best they can with the tools they have, and moving the datacenter is certainly a step in the right direction.

While I agree that the flow of information is lacking, it was obviously a large shakeup in Turbine's business model for DDO that brought on such a change. With such a high turnover of top level positions since inception, this was (unfortunately) inevitable.

The fact that "vast and mysterious" has not been revealed is surely a sore point with players, but remember, those from Turbine who post on these forums have no control over the flow of information. Tolero and Tarrant have to answer to their bosses and their bosses' bosses when it comes to releasing anything.

Blaming the Devs for any of this seems fallacious, also. We have no idea how big a team there is for DDO, or what the development budget is.

The lack of a firm date for Mod 9 can be placed squarely on the backs of 2 parties: Upper level Management and "Forumites". Just look at the backlash now when all They said was "around the Anniversary" which is widely open to the interpretation of the reader. Personally, within a month is my own interpretation, but I'm sure that others would say within a couple of days or a week when hearing the same thing.

Now, with the datacenter move (which they probably had to wait until now to do due to contractual agreement) being accomplished, I am hoping that things will move along more swiftly up until We see Mod 9.

There is a reason Turbine won awards for the "Mines of Moria" expansion over much larger Game Houses. It's because they're good at what they do.

I say, and have always said, That I will be the last one left to turn out the lights when this great ride is finally over. There is no other MMO that comes close to DDO, period.

frederjoe1
03-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh My, where do I begin?

As a student of business, I'm sure You realize the suicidal nature of Sig saying : "This will 100% fix all the lag." No competent company would ever make such a claim about any aspect of a proposed fix to a hardware/ networking/ software problem. Assuming that Turbine "doesn't understand the problem" is a fallacious assumption. It is very likely a combination of factors that include all three. I'm no programmer, but going through millions of lines of code looking for a stray comma or period is certainly time consuming. I think We CAN assume that they are doing the best they can with the tools they have, and moving the datacenter is certainly a step in the right direction.

While I agree that the flow of information is lacking, it was obviously a large shakeup in Turbine's business model for DDO that brought on such a change. With such a high turnover of top level positions since inception, this was (unfortunately) inevitable.

The fact that "vast and mysterious" has not been revealed is surely a sore point with players, but remember, those from Turbine who post on these forums have no control over the flow of information. Tolero and Tarrant have to answer to their bosses and their bosses' bosses when it comes to releasing anything.

Blaming the Devs for any of this seems fallacious, also. We have no idea how big a team there is for DDO, or what the development budget is.

The lack of a firm date for Mod 9 can be placed squarely on the backs of 2 parties: Upper level Management and "Forumites". Just look at the backlash now when all They said was "around the Anniversary" which is widely open to the interpretation of the reader. Personally, within a month is my own interpretation, but I'm sure that others would say within a couple of days or a week when hearing the same thing.

Now, with the datacenter move (which they probably had to wait until now to do due to contractual agreement) being accomplished, I am hoping that things will move along more swiftly up until We see Mod 9.

There is a reason Turbine won awards for the "Mines of Moria" expansion over much larger Game Houses. It's because they're good at what they do.

I say, and have always said, That I will be the last one left to turn out the lights when this great ride is finally over. There is no other MMO that comes close to DDO, period.

Hate to rain on your parade, but we may be fighting over the light switch when the time comes...

Demoyn
03-27-2009, 03:11 PM
You guys can fight over the light switch all you want... I'm hitting the breaker and stealing the light bulb.

Tarrant
03-27-2009, 03:37 PM
I know voting isn't over, but I'm pretty blown away (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=177195) by the support you've shown, and I have a lot of confidence you'll carry through into the evening. Bye bye Bethesda.

Big-Dex
03-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Eh hem...

Our carrot please. :p ;) :D :)

Dex was here.

EDIT: DOH! Didn't notice the link. Errr... <sheepishly> ... thanks for the carrot! :o :o :o :cool:

Deuce
03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Well...I suppose that does count as a sneak peek...

*sigh*...

You do know that our next round is against Valve right? As it stands, just comparing vote totals to vote totals from this round its gonna be tight as all holy...

All well....

Tarrant
03-27-2009, 04:45 PM

*sigh*...

You do know that our next round is against Valve right? As it stands, just comparing vote totals to vote totals from this round its gonna be tight as all holy...

All well....

I thought that was a pretty cool one myself. I've been waiting for this feature for a while!

Don't forget that some people voted for both Turbine and Valve, and will probably vote for Turbine over Valve if it comes down to it. People like me!

DoctorWhofan
03-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I dunno, we are still leading...

DoctorWhofan
03-27-2009, 04:49 PM

*sigh*...

All well....

remember, alot of Turbine voters voted for Valve.

hydra_ex
03-27-2009, 04:54 PM

Or if you wanted to look good, you'd say its coming out in late april, sustain a few sighs, then surprise us all in making it come out in early april!

Come on, you know that lieing to make yourself look good is ok :)

Deuce
03-27-2009, 05:06 PM
I thought that was a pretty cool one myself. I've been waiting for this feature for a while!

Don't forget that some people voted for both Turbine and Valve, and will probably vote for Turbine over Valve if it comes down to it. People like me!

Don't get me wrong Tarrant - its pretty cool, but I was hoping for something more..."stirring"...to get the morale into overdrive. I know that a lot of Turbines (Turbinites? Turbinians? What would be a good name for us Turbine fans? - possible poll sometime in the future for ya.) voted for Valve, and they will more than likely loose those votes. But I know a lot of the Escapist forumites (Escapee's? Maybe...) are upset at us and just might try to stage a rally to knock us out...So I was hoping for something to really fire up everyone.

At this point, due to some of the smack talk about us over there, I'm just in it to win. The tidbits are nice - but I wanna see Turbine take the crown over at the Escapist - AGAIN - to prove it wasn't a one time thing.

GO TURBINE!!

DoctorWhofan
03-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Current Standings
Round 3 polls are open.

North Standings
(1) Turbine: 2329 | 2113 :(5) Bethesda

(2) Valve: 2384 | 1066 :(3) Capcom

West Standings
(1) Nintendo: 1667 | 1088 :(4) Konami

(2) Epic: 1293 | 1521 :(3) Square Enix

East Standings
(1) Activision Blizzard: 2163 | 2187 :(12) Relic

(2) Harmonix: 1343 | 1277 :(3) Namco Bandai

South Standings
(1) Ubisoft Montreal: 938 | 1843 :(5) BioWare

(3) Rockstar: 1807 | 861 :(10) Neversoft

Kronik
03-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Yep... Half-life, Half-life2, Portal, Left 4 Dead... Even Steam is awesome...

Every game I've ever played from Valve has been awesome.... Portal was so different, that they should get triple points for that one. Left 4 Dead is the game I play when I'm not playing DDO...

Going to be a tough choice...

Of course, every game I've ever played from Turbine has been awesome (I've only played DDO)

I used to play HL, HL2 & Counterstrike all the time and as fun as they were, I got bored with them fast. Here I am still playing DDO since day 1 and lovin it more than ever.

Sorry to all you guys who capped and uber’d out you characters and cannot wait for the next mod. I am actually the opposite and just had a few friends join DDO and like the extra time getting them caught up.

Either way, this game rocks and I’m extremely impressed that not only are we still around, but actually seem to be growing in an underground uprising sort of way!

Ghirmeshk
03-27-2009, 06:03 PM
2338 to 2131 . . . GO US!

Drwaz99
03-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Oh My, where do I begin?

I believe you skimmed my post and didn't read it's entirety. While you may call me a student, I have been around a awhile (feels like it at least with the time put in) and have created and sold enough companies so that I am able to support myself and have retired before I hit 30 and live extremely comfortably (as in I can do whatever I want, when I want). Some personal medical issues stepped in the way and forced me out, yet I still pursed my education as you never stop being a student and when you do, you get passed by. Otherwise I may have fallen victim to all the trolls on this site with too much time on their hands. I agree that the people on the forums have shied Turbine away from releasing info, but I said that they shouldn't (as all it's doing is making it worse) and there are ways of giving out information without putting yourself at jeopardy, I never once said they needed to give firm concrete dates, say this will fix it 100%. I was pointing out to Tarrant that his post wasn't the end all he implied it was, as they have no idea if it will work or not. They are crossing their fingers that it may help.

The rest of the post was a generic, Dear Turbine, where did you learn to handle things this way post? It was not supposed to be directed strictly at Tarrant as I do know he is a messenger for a company that lights the messages on fire before they hand them out.

I agreed that it's not entirely the Devs fault, I mentioned that the same or more accountability should go up the tree. As much as I hate to say it, not much of the team would be left after the downhill slide that has occurred in the last 2 yrs that I have played.. If the Indians are out of control, then the Chief isn't doing his/her job. The main problem is there is no apparent accountability at Turbine, otherwise we wouldn't see much of the things we are seeing now. That goes for everyone there, not just the Devs.

You can easily work around budget constraints and still deliver a good product in a reasonable time, so development budget may play a little part, I don't think it does here. Not with the amount of subscriptions that DDO has, which you can roughly estimate by using forums numbers a few posts and contests and estimating it out. It's more than we probably think it is. The forum is a horrible representation of the true player base.

When you say that no MMO is close to DDO, it really depends on how you look at it. Is it fun? Sure, for you but maybe not Joe Shmo over here. From a point of what was originally promised (quarterly mods) they have failed completely. The lack of communication, while MAYBE partially our fault, another F. There is a reason the WoW has millions and million of subscribers and people are willing to pay for additions. But that's another post. So from a strictly business outlook and the information that has been given out or is available (which is up to the management of Turbine) another F.

Now keep this in perspective. I am not dissing DDO the game (I play and I think it's fun, but that doesn't determine a good developer), I think it's a good game and I do know that other games are included in the voting, but just from a DDO perspective, having not playing the other games (or read up on the support they get which I get the feeling here is much more than DDO), Turbine gets a failing grade, as a developer.

Ok, lights out. I have said what I need to, feel free to reply, we are on the same page, bur not at the same time. I agree with most of what you said even though it reiterated what I wrote, just differently.

ThrasherGT
03-27-2009, 07:54 PM
I believe you skimmed my post and didn't read it's entirety. While you may call me a student, I have been around a awhile (feels like it at least with the time put in) and have created and sold enough companies so that I am able to support myself and have retired before I hit 30 and live extremely comfortably (as in I can do whatever I want, when I want). Some personal medical issues stepped in the way and forced me out, yet I still pursed my education as you never stop being a student and when you do, you get passed by. Otherwise I may have fallen victim to all the trolls on this site with too much time on their hands. I agree that the people on the forums have shied Turbine away from releasing info, but I said that they shouldn't (as all it's doing is making it worse) and there are ways of giving out information without putting yourself at jeopardy, I never once said they needed to give firm concrete dates, say this will fix it 100%. I was pointing out to Tarrant that his post wasn't the end all he implied it was, as they have no idea if it will work or not. They are crossing their fingers that it may help.

First, I was going off of Your own info. You said You are working toward Your masters, Therefore You are a student, no? As far as Turbine releasing info, What have they been doing for the last month? If You mean that they haven't released the Mod 9 date yet, well that's just 1 part of it. Is it important? Of course, but to say they're not releasing anything is just silly. As far as what Tarrant said, remember that He has guidelines about HOW to release any info. Like He said, they expect performance to improve, Again, assuming that they "Have no idea" is fallacious. I think they are professionals, and that they know what's wrong. Now, how long it takes to repair what's wrong is a completely separate issue.

The rest of the post was a generic, Dear Turbine, where did you learn to handle things this way post? It was not supposed to be directed strictly at Tarrant as I do know he is a messenger for a company that lights the messages on fire before they hand them out.

No comment, Except I never said that You were directing things at Tarrant.......

I agreed that it's not entirely the Devs fault, I mentioned that the same or more accountability should go up the tree. As much as I hate to say it, not much of the team would be left after the downhill slide that has occurred in the last 2 yrs that I have played.. If the Indians are out of control, then the Chief isn't doing his/her job. The main problem is there is no apparent accountability at Turbine, otherwise we wouldn't see much of the things we are seeing now. That goes for everyone there, not just the Devs.

And If You were running the company, You might Be right. You or I do not know what the "plan" is over at Turbine. For all We know, They are right on schedule. As far as "Accountability" goes, "around the anniversary" is, again, a very vague statement.

You can easily work around budget constraints and still deliver a good product in a reasonable time, so development budget may play a little part, I don't think it does here. Not with the amount of subscriptions that DDO has, which you can roughly estimate by using forums numbers a few posts and contests and estimating it out. It's more than we probably think it is. The forum is a horrible representation of the true player base.

Sorry, have to disagree with You here. We have no Idea what they do with their money, nor how many subs there are. To discuss it is pointless.

When you say that no MMO is close to DDO, it really depends on how you look at it. Is it fun? Sure, for you but maybe not Joe Shmo over here. From a point of what was originally promised (quarterly mods) they have failed completely. The lack of communication, while MAYBE partially our fault, another F. There is a reason the WoW has millions and million of subscribers and people are willing to pay for additions. But that's another post. So from a strictly business outlook and the information that has been given out or is available (which is up to the management of Turbine) another F.

My comment was purely My opinion, I will not attempt to defend it, nor should I have to. As far as what was "Promised" (And I use the term loosely, as the terms "we plan to" and "we hope to" are NOT promises), Problems happen, code needs to be re-written, etc..

While I am personally disappointed in the level of communication, again it boils down to their model. Do I like it, Hell No, but there is little I can do about it. (Except quit, which I will not do)

Now keep this in perspective. I am not dissing DDO the game (I play and I think it's fun, but that doesn't determine a good developer), I think it's a good game and I do know that other games are included in the voting, but just from a DDO perspective, having not playing the other games (or read up on the support they get which I get the feeling here is much more than DDO), Turbine gets a failing grade, as a developer.

Ok, lights out. I have said what I need to, feel free to reply, we are on the same page, bur not at the same time. I agree with most of what you said even though it reiterated what I wrote, just differently.

And You are certainly entitled to Your opinion, I just happen to disagree with some of it. Hey, We all just want DDO to be a better game, But We all have different ideas about how that should happen.

God Bless,

ThrasherGT

DoctorWhofan
03-27-2009, 08:32 PM
2379 Turbine

2198 Bethesha

People, we are still in the lead but losing ground!!!

Raiderone
03-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Well I used all three of my email accounts and voted for Turbine three times.

Heck I even created a Yahoo account.

It's less than 170 difference now. And Relic is beating Blizzard by less than 20.:eek:

DaveyCrockett
03-27-2009, 09:49 PM
RALLY THE TROOPS!!!!

70 minutes left, and they're closing in on us.

Big-Dex
03-27-2009, 09:51 PM
DUDE! They are down by only 160... was almost 250 not an hour ago!

MUST HAVE MORE VOTES!

Dex was here.

Raiderone
03-27-2009, 09:57 PM
DUDE! They are down by only 160... was almost 250 not an hour ago!

MUST HAVE MORE VOTES!

Dex was here.

create additional accounts. all you need are more email accounts. :D
Ahem! Win at all cost is modo...

DaveyCrockett
03-27-2009, 10:05 PM

From an Escapist moderator:

At 9am tomorrow morning (Saturday, March 28th), the polls will close for Round 3. At that time The Escapist staff will be going through all accounts to check for cheating (multiple accounts, hacking, etc) and the winner will be posted later in the day. Please respect the fact that we have to go through votes and accounts by hand and that is may take a while. A fluctuation of votes may occur if cheating have been found beyond what has already been caught.

Quanefel
03-27-2009, 10:16 PM
From an Escapist moderator:

Yup, I just read that.*edit* nvm, seems they added this to a few of the others. Still a bit unsavory for them to be hand counting like that.

I also noticed that one of that forums favorite is Valve and the one that does not have this announcement in it, strange.

Mazeratti
03-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow, this is better than watching the Footy...

ok

pretty much anything is better than watching the footy :rolleyes:

but it is rather exciting :D

*Picks up some nearby pom-poms*

Rah-Rah!! Turbines gonna win by far!

*Does a little dance - a couple of somersaults and ends in a split*

*puts away pom-poms and logs on to play some DDO*

Dark_Helmet
03-28-2009, 12:06 AM

It's less than 170 difference now. And Relic is beating Blizzard by less than 20.:eek:

That is just ethically wrong. Why do people do this?
Cheating to win really make you happy?

I know it means nothing to you but that makes this the last round I am voting in.

I would rather lose fairly than win by cheating.

DoctorWhofan
03-28-2009, 12:08 AM

I know it means nothing to you but that makes this the last round I am voting in.

They will find out and ban you and all your accounts. Then we will lose 4 votes. So thanks alot. I totally agree with Dark_helmet

BLITHELY
03-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Hey all still need yr vote if u have not done so yet. Bethesda is making headway with the we hate Turbine people who jus come 2 vote. Show them what kind of community we really are and check out unforgotten realms while u r there its hilarious.

DoctorWhofan
03-28-2009, 12:20 AM
WE ARE SLIPPING!!!!! Get in there and vote!

Jarka
03-28-2009, 12:31 AM

:mad: Very Shameful!!! What you have just done is LOST us votes...

They will find out and ban you and all your accounts. Then we will lose 4 votes. So thanks alot. I totally agree with Dark_helmet

Totally Agree!!!

What some shortsighted people may not realize, is that whether we win or lose this little competition, we actually may have won in terms of free advertising with the (I believe strong) possibility of bringing new sub's to our game.

Mazeratti
03-28-2009, 12:39 AM
I have to agree there is no honour in achieving a win or a gain if it was gained by dishonest methods.

I would rather lose with dignity.

On the flip-side there are most likely many others that have been doing this on both sides. It occured to me earlier that it was possible to do that, but integrity prevents me.

Then to brag about it, was kinda silly too :(

Jendrak
03-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Ok so maybe some of our brothers arent exactly choir boys. Hey at least they are trying right?

Here's the current standing for us:
(1) Turbine: 2422 | 2286 (5) Bethesda

While a win is a win less than 200 is a little close for comfort. Come on guys if someone in your guild hasen't voted yet beg, bribe, and even beat then if you have too but get them to vote.

Besides, they might even enjoy the site too by accident :)

DoctorWhofan
03-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Humour me on this...Vote for Turbine...let us win this round. PLEASE!!!!

Deathseeker
03-28-2009, 02:57 AM
Lead is down to 120 votes...it's shrinking by the hour, and we have 5 hours to go. This is gonna be REALLY tight. Get out the vote everyone, this could come down to 10 votes by the end....

Quit lurking and vote, vote, vote!!!

Someone who is on the LOTRO forums needs to raise the alarm over there as well (besides the devs of course). We need a last minute mini-surge to keep us up front...

Quanefel
03-28-2009, 03:00 AM
It looks like we are loosing our lead now. Down to only about 100 votes over Bethesda and with them recounting our votes in the morning, I do not see it coming out good. Not that I think many of our votes is from cheating, just that those local forum users are upset enough to flood the Mods with PM's over there for a more "favorable" vote count.

ThrasherGT
03-28-2009, 07:45 AM
It looks like we are loosing our lead now. Down to only about 100 votes over Bethesda and with them recounting our votes in the morning, I do not see it coming out good. Not that I think many of our votes is from cheating, just that those local forum users are upset enough to flood the Mods with PM's over there for a more "favorable" vote count.

Wow, that's just funny. Why would PM's change anything?

Quanefel
03-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Wow, that's just funny. Why would PM's change anything?

Because everyone was encouraged to PM the Mods over there if they suspected any cheating taking place. I assumed everyone saw that announcement as well. And most of them accuse of us cheating since the start....

cdbd3rd
03-28-2009, 07:57 AM
I have to agree there is no honour in achieving a win or a gain if it was gained by dishonest methods.

I would rather lose with dignity.

On the flip-side there are most likely many others that have been doing this on both sides. It occured to me earlier that it was possible to do that, but integrity prevents me.

Then to brag about it, was kinda silly too :(

This is true. I voted once for each DDO account I have (2), but that's as far as I would go. (edit to clarify that - one account's mine, one's my boy's.)

I'm all for talking to your friends/family - as long as they're gamers of some sort, to get them involved.

Yep, I did actually tell my mother about this (she still plays Diablo sometimes) and got her involved. The guys I work with that play 'other' MMOs got an earful, but not sure if they actually voted or not.

cdbd3rd
03-28-2009, 08:00 AM

...and we'll never know if the 'recounting' takes on the same flavor the 'banning' did. :rolleyes:

Either way, we still got ourselves out in the spotlight for folks to see - and I have seen quite a few posts asking what our game(s) are, and others saying they're trying the trial. All good, either way.

Tails
03-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Current Standings
Round 3 polls are closed.

North Standings
(1) Turbine: 2462 | 2363 :(5) Bethesda

(2) Valve: 2653 | 1163 :(3) Capcom

West Standings
(1) Nintendo: 1867 | 1185 :(4) Konami

(2) Epic: 1439 | 1683 :(3) Square Enix

East Standings
(1) Activision Blizzard: 2632 | 2636 :(12) Relic

(2) Harmonix: 1497 | 1412 :(3) Namco Bandai

South Standings
(1) Ubisoft Montreal: 1025 | 2033 :(5) BioWare

(3) Rockstar: 1998 | 941 :(10) Neversoft

cdbd3rd
03-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Numbers are shriveling...

(1) Turbine 51% (2456)
(5) Bethesda 49% (2360)

/withholds further comment on it, for now...

The whole roster @ 11:15 CDT:

North Standings
(1) Turbine: 2456 | 2360 :(5) Bethesda

(2) Valve: 2646 | 1160 :(3) Capcom

West Standings
(1) Nintendo: 1860 | 1184 :(4) Konami

(2) Epic: 1436 | 1679 :(3) Square Enix

East Standings
(1) Activision Blizzard: 2586 | 2586 :(12) Relic

(2) Harmonix: 1493 | 1407 :(3) Namco Bandai

South Standings
(1) Ubisoft Montreal: 1023 | 2027 :(5) BioWare

(3) Rockstar: 1992 | 940 :(10) Neversoft

DoctorWhofan
03-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Looks like Blizzard and Relic will be a recount. That's Offical. No word on the rest...but it looks like they trimmed some votes from us and Bethesda. That might be the final result.

ahpook
03-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Because everyone was encouraged to PM the Mods over there if they suspected any cheating taking place. I assumed everyone saw that announcement as well. And most of them accuse of us cheating since the start....

So far the Mod's have seemed very fair. If they are excluding votes for cheating, I trust them to look at both sides. There is no reason cast aspersions on the mods.

It looks like Turbine will hold on or victory. The one that concerns me now is Blizzard. Did the giant awake? There are a lot of votes over there. A Turbine Blizzard matchup would be interesting as it would be hard to know who the escapist old timers would hate more.

DoctorWhofan
03-28-2009, 12:53 PM
So far the Mod's have seemed very fair. If they are excluding votes for cheating, I trust them to look at both sides. There is no reason cast aspersions on the mods.

It looks like Turbine will hold on or victory. The one that concerns me now is Blizzard. Did the giant awake? There are a lot of votes over there. A Turbine Blizzard matchup would be interesting as it would be hard to know who the escapist old timers would hate more.

That's still up in the air. Actually WoW is hated more over there than Turbine. With a "badge" at stake, they would vote.

Rog
03-28-2009, 01:08 PM
looks like we won by 96 votes! close unless they reopened the poles today

DoctorWhofan
03-28-2009, 01:16 PM
looks like we won by 96 votes! close unless they reopened the poles today

Only for the Blizzard/relic fight

DoctorWhofan
03-28-2009, 01:26 PM
From Spinwhiz

Round 3 Voting is NOW CLOSED, except for the Activision Blizzard/Relic match-up with is now in Overtime! Round 4 will be open from Monday, March 30th @ 9am and last for 48 hours.

Make sure you check our main bracket page to see what the upcoming match-ups are going to be and visit our FORUMS to start chatting about the match-ups.

For Round 1 results CLICK HERE!
For Round 2 results CLICK HERE!

Please Note: There have been some flamewars in the last couple of rounds and will no longer be tolerated. Treat everyone, and their opinions, with respect. An inability to do so will lead to your inability to further participate in this event. The Escapist community is known for our welcoming attitude and thoughtful discussions and we welcome our guests and friends to the site. As for our visitors, thank you for joining us for March Mayhem. Please feel free to look around the site at your leisure and ask questions if necessary. This is a safe haven for all.

Zaal
03-28-2009, 04:28 PM
mt

Zaal
03-28-2009, 04:32 PM
mt

JakLee7
03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
From Spinwhiz

Round 3 Voting is NOW CLOSED, except for the Activision Blizzard/Relic match-up with is now in Overtime! Round 4 will be open from Monday, March 30th @ 9am and last for 48 hours.

Make sure you check our main bracket page to see what the upcoming match-ups are going to be and visit our FORUMS to start chatting about the match-ups.

For Round 1 results CLICK HERE!
For Round 2 results CLICK HERE!

Please Note: There have been some flamewars in the last couple of rounds and will no longer be tolerated. Treat everyone, and their opinions, with respect. An inability to do so will lead to your inability to further participate in this event. The Escapist community is known for our welcoming attitude and thoughtful discussions and we welcome our guests and friends to the site. As for our visitors, thank you for joining us for March Mayhem. Please feel free to look around the site at your leisure and ask questions if necessary. This is a safe haven for all.

and the funniest thing is the final comment before teh vote was closed was awful, but now its stuck, lol

Kistilan
03-28-2009, 11:07 PM
*sighs with relief*

I'm glad we won round 3 -- that was kind of rough.

Time to go visit my dusty lotro forum account and see how they're handling their mustering because this was too close. It's good to be back in San Antonio. I killed a few sharks with my hands while in Water Survival training. I'll tell the best fish story you've ever heard if you've time... It starts like this:

"So there I was, neck-deep in salty Pensacola Bay Waters when it hits me..." *continue story as desired*

cdbd3rd
03-28-2009, 11:10 PM
It's good to be back in San Antonio. I killed a few sharks with my hands while in Water Survival training. I'll tell the best fish story you've ever heard if you've time... It starts like this:

"So there I was, neck-deep in salty Pensacola Bay Waters when it hits me..." *continue story as desired*

You best be bringin' it. Ain't leaving no cliff hanger like that....

:D

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that'd make a good story for it's own thread in Off-Topic. ;)

Kistilan
03-28-2009, 11:11 PM
You best be bringin' it. Ain't leaving no cliff hanger like that....

:D

It's kinda rated R because I ate some bad nachos and had a very sore behind. Incidentally, sharks like blood, regardless of where it's coming from. :o

Quanefel
03-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Good job everyone!! We barely squeezed by this victory, next will be a bit more painful since Turbine is up against Valve. It is the local escapist favorite with them getting over 2600 total votes this last round. So we need to push harder, talk to friends, guildmates, etc and get them voting for the next round when it opens up. Ask pugs in game to join and vote, spread the word since most players might not even know about it. Also, keep spreading the word about DDO and Turbine to the forum users over there because even if Turbine does not win then at least we got the word out. Maybe even pull a few people over to playing DDO or LOTRO. Preferrably DDO. *ahem*

Go Turbine!! ^_^

Kistilan
03-29-2009, 12:15 AM
Good job everyone!! We barely squeezed by this victory, next will be a bit more painful since Turbine is up against Valve. It is the local escapist favorite with them getting over 2600 total votes this last round. So we need to push harder, talk to friends, guildmates, etc and get them voting for the next round when it opens up. Ask pugs in game to join and vote, spread the word since most players might not even know about it. Also, keep spreading the word about DDO and Turbine to the forum users over there because even if Turbine does not win then at least we got the word out. Maybe even pull a few people over to playing DDO or LOTRO. Preferrably DDO. *ahem*

Go Turbine!! ^_^

Deal.

Now where are you on my email list? Get on MSN and tell me a tale of sorrow and strife.

EDIT: PS -- I'll head to the LOTRO forums and get some fans. And maybe mmorpg.com and post about it, although that's a risky bit -- potentially could drag more votes to Valve, but... i doubt it. ^_*