PDA

View Full Version : Another Crafting Thread

Unknownperson
03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I am not sure if this has been discussed before but I thought I would throw my two cents in. I believe the implementation of crafting into this game is off the mark. People called for crafting to have something to do when questing was not available. I am not opposed to a grind to get the best things in the game, but why does that grind require 12 other people and a three day raid timer in extremely limited content.

When I quest my primary drive it to group with other people and have some fun while getting some loot in the process. When a group is not available I like to find something to do solo, this is where the crafting should be. I am not overly opposed to tying the best gear in the game to raids, especially when those raids can be done by pugs. But I want something to do with less than a full group.

So here is my suggestion, take the ingredients out of the Shroud raid. I think it is fine to keep the shards as well as the final crafting in the raid, but put the ingredients elsewhere. To keep with the lore you are trying to create, let them drop in any chest in the vale (this includes the shroud and quests as well as explorer). After all those chests are “owned” by the same mobs that are in the shroud. This will allow people to collect the ingredients needed to make their items in other ways then running the same 3 day timer quest over and over. I believe this will encourage people to run other stuff and allow for more solo play if that is someone’s desire.

I know some people will disagree with me, but the ideas used in the refuge are more in line, no timers on the quest so you can grind the runes more freely (at least until ransacked). Not sure I like the luck of the roll on each rune, but at least I can farm them a little easier.

I have two suggestions for refuge though. Once again put the runes in the adventuring area chests, they do not always have to contain one, but let them drop there, this way, once again, it will give us something else to do. And last but not least, please get rid of some of the rune options. 90% of them no one will ever leave on their gear, I think it would be better to have the applying of the rune have a chance to fail (therefore keeping your last upgrade), rather than overwrite an ok upgrade with one that is completely useless (to use a fireworks analogy, make the crappy upgrades duds). All this has done is force the player base to use multiple DT sets so we can apply runes without messing up the ok setting we currently have on our gear. Once again requiring more bank/bag space which is already quite limited.

If you are unable to go back and rework old stuff please keep this in mind when making future crafting decisions. Crafting is suppose to be something to do when parties are not available, not require raid groups to accomplish and putting the ingredients in limited content forces a boring grind that reminds me of way to many MMO’s.

Thanks for listening.

Ryss
03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
I so wholeheartedly agree.

But maybe Mod 9 will bring a broader and proper crafting... Oh well at least one can dream.

ArkoHighStar
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Mod 8 was supposed to be the big crafting mod, with mod 6 being the "Beta" of the system, as late as March of last year Kate was pushing this sentiment, then all of a sudden something changed and all this work was back burnered in order to put polish on the game, and add things like the NPE, hirelings etc, which became the new focus of mod 8. Her response to me question at GenCon was it had no target time frame, in other don't hold your breath.