PDA

View Full Version : Ghoste....The Voice of Big Brother

Zenix_Leviticus
03-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Ok, you got 3 people in my group with that server message tonight.

They saw it and quickly logged off.

ROFL!! You got us!

Nice one!

Mazeratti
03-19-2009, 02:21 AM
What message???

"..... Its time to leave the House!" ?

Ghoste
03-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Which one? The one about all your fleshling characters being deleted? Or the plain server shutdown for maintenance?

Heh, gotta stop doing that before I get myself banned!

GlassCannon
03-19-2009, 07:19 AM
I feel guilty for showing you how in the first place... or at least, starting the trend that got passed around to you.

akla_thornfist
03-19-2009, 07:29 AM
now that i know it was you i will report it, that wasnt funny at all lots of people logged off because of it. ass wipe

Ghoste
03-19-2009, 07:30 AM
I feel guilty for showing you how in the first place... or at least, starting the trend that got passed around to you.
(World Broadcast): Just a reminder that tomorrow, the Day of Mourning, all your fleshling characters will be deleted. If you wish to keep your possessions, you will need to create a warforged character before then and transfer all your items.

Ghoste
03-19-2009, 07:31 AM
now that i know it was you i will report it, that wasnt funny at all lots of people logged off because of it. ass wipe
Someone beat you to the punch. A senior gm had a bit of a chat with me about how wrong that was, and could mean being banned.

Ass wipe? Lol. Keep it coming. People logged off of a game. If you're going to get your panties up in a big knot over something so trivial, I can only suggest you get a little perspective. And a sense of humor.

akla_thornfist
03-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Someone beat you to the punch. A senior gm had a bit of a chat with me about how wrong that was, and could mean being banned.

Ass wipe? Lol. Keep it coming. People logged off of a game. If you're going to get your panties up in a big knot over something so trivial, I can only suggest you get a little perspective. And a sense of humor.

the problem is its not your game and its not funny turbine has enough problems with lag and downtime dont need 10 yr olds like you to make it worst.

djinni69
03-19-2009, 07:49 AM
*laughs*

Ghoste, that's funny stuff and if you would've gotten me with that message, I'd have laughed about it ... and then beat the ever livin' snot out of ya!!

And you're right, some folks need to get over it. People and their "feelings" ... *eyeroll*

akla_thornfist
03-19-2009, 08:00 AM
i agree it would have been funny if you did it to your guildies and close friends but you went beyond that.

Deadz
03-19-2009, 08:02 AM

Nice job, you get a tip of the cap from deadz.. well i'm not wearing a cap.. but good job.

totmacher
03-19-2009, 08:09 AM
lol that's awesome ghoste

i have no sympathies for your fleshie servants that took it literally, they are only so useful after all

wamjratl1
03-19-2009, 08:17 AM
(World Broadcast): Just a reminder that tomorrow, the Day of Mourning, all your fleshling characters will be deleted. If you wish to keep your possessions, you will need to create a warforged character before then and transfer all your items.

The fact that people logged out due tho this message is funnier than the message itself. All Hail the Mighty Construct Ruler of Stormreach! All Fleshies Shall Be Assimilated!!

akla_thornfist
03-19-2009, 08:28 AM
The fact that people logged out due tho this message is funnier than the message itself. All Hail the Mighty Construct Ruler of Stormreach! All Fleshies Shall Be Assimilated!!

that wasnt the message he broadcast

Borror0
03-19-2009, 08:44 AM
If someone really bought that and logged off, then he or she really deserved it.

EDIT:

What was it?

Zenix_Leviticus
03-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Actually his original message said the Argo would be shutting down in 5 minutes for
maintenance.

Before people whine too much, It only appeared in Merdia. We had one person in
our group that was selling stuff in house D and he was saying "what world message??"
"I don't have any world message.", "someone is pulling your leg."

About that time I saw that everyone was giving Ghoste a rations of **** over it.

I thought it was freaking hilarious!! I lost half of my party, but I still laughed about it.

If you have your shorts in a wad over this, get some perspective and a sense of
humor. This is a game not brain surgery!

I bet the Dev had a hard time not laughing when he/she was talking to you.

wamjratl1
03-19-2009, 09:02 AM

oh. ok i would have logged too if I had gotten the message he sent. still prob would have thought it was at least kind of funny. don't be too mad.

BlackSteel
03-19-2009, 09:03 AM
/applaud

akla_thornfist
03-19-2009, 09:05 AM
i was logging anyway it was 11;30 pm but it wasnt funny, and yes his message said world willl be shutting down in 5 min blah blah blah. and i bet turbine isnt laughing about it.

Nikorr123
03-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Freaking awesome wish I would have thought of it.

Philam
03-19-2009, 09:10 AM

Man relax and have a laugh! We play this game for fun!

Ghoste welcome back!!:D

Memnir
03-19-2009, 09:19 AM
If anyone actually logged out over a "world broadcast" in one zone - that was put out by a player - well, that just proves P.T. Barnum was right about the birthrate.

akla_thornfist
03-19-2009, 09:25 AM
guess i have no funny bone must be the buisinessman in me.

BurningDownTheHouse
03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
guess i have no funny bone must be the buisinessman in me.

Oh, i bet you have it...
I bet it's rather long and just stuck in some place that makes you rigid is all :D

Dozen_Black_Roses
03-19-2009, 09:30 AM
omg that is funny! wish I would have seen that. If people are that much like sheep, that they just simply logged, well I dont feel sorry for them, they are obviously not the brightest apples. It's a joke....find the humour in life and in game!

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo305/dznblkrzs/BigGirlPanties_275_275.jpg

Erekose
03-19-2009, 10:11 AM

Reported. Expect your account to be deleted shortly.

WeaselKing
03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I liked the guild takeover/disbanding one.

Erekose
03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
If anyone actually logged out over a "world broadcast" in one zone - that was put out by a player - well, that just proves P.T. Barnum was right about the birthrate.

I encourage everyone to report this kind of behavior to prove that P.T. Barnum is not a DDO power gamer.

Aspenor
03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
hilarious!!!

Belwaar
03-19-2009, 10:25 AM
I would have probably been one of the idiots that logged...and then I would have thought about it (LIGHTBULB!!!) and laughed and came back in and played it off...:rolleyes:

Zenako
03-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Ghoste if what is being said here is true, you seriously need to grow up a bit.

Anyone posting/creating a message something like that is fully intending to get REAL people to log off the game and change what they were doing. There have been enough server maintenance issues lately that it would not be all that unusual and I suspect most who saw it would take it at face value. (I am not talking about the fleshie / wf text, but the other world shutdown for maintenance one that is mentioned.)

Doing so indicates you do not gives a rats behind about other players time or plans. I would in fact be disappointed if you do not get more than a "stern talking to" for a stunt like that. Doing something like that makes it all the more likely that Real world broadcasts will be ignored and players will end up losing stuff and items and time they have invested in things when they begin to ignore legitmate broadcasts.

Pretty low..:(

Philam
03-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Anyone posting/creating a message something like that is fully intending to get REAL people to log off the game and change what they were doing. There have been enough server maintenance issues lately that it would not be all that unusual and I suspect most who saw it would take it at face value. (I am not talking about the fleshie / wf text, but the other world shutdown for maintenance one that is mentioned.)

Doing so indicates you do not gives a rats behind about other players time or plans. I would in fact be disappointed if you do not get more than a "stern talking to" for a stunt like that. Doing something like that makes it all the more likely that Real world broadcasts will be ignored and players will end up losing stuff and items and time they have invested in things when they begin to ignore legitmate broadcasts.

Another person that takes DDO and life way to serious! Smile -have you hunged a Gunga today!

Zenako
03-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Another person that takes DDO and life way to serious! Smile -have you hunged a Gunga today!

So lets ask all those who saw it and did log off and changed their plans for the evening, and were silently cursing Turbine for killing their evening if was "Fun" for them after that? Having "fun" at the expense of others is not acceptable.

Had he done this sort of thing in a quest instance among guild members, perhaps, and any repercursions would be amongst those friends. As presented he did it in a very public instance, where a number of unassociated players would see it, and I suspect it was done on purpose, to fool some "noobs" into logging off for the night. great.

eeewww, who would ever hug a gunga....:eek:

elraido
03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
So lets ask all those who saw it and did log off and changed their plans for the evening, and were silently cursing Turbine for killing their evening if was "Fun" for them after that? Having "fun" at the expense of others is not acceptable.

Had he done this sort of thing in a quest instance among guild members, perhaps, and any repercursions would be amongst those friends. As presented he did it in a very public instance, where a number of unassociated players would see it, and I suspect it was done on purpose, to fool some "noobs" into logging off for the night. great.

Are you serious? OH NO!!! Plans are changed!!!! The world is doooomed!!! DOOOOOOMED!!!!!! How shall I cope!???!?!??!

Really?

kinar
03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
I had a guildy playing with this in guild chat last night....

was pretty funny. He was spoofing other members of guild chat as well.

Unfortunately, this is probably going to delay Mod 9 another week while they add in user permissions for custom text

Zenako
03-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Are you serious? OH NO!!! Plans are changed!!!! The world is doooomed!!! DOOOOOOMED!!!!!! How shall I cope!???!?!??!

Really?

Glad to see you place so little value on others...or what they want to do. And that it is all about what you want to do in the game.

Yes it is a game, a diversion.

Just like some aholes got their endless jollies by spamming sunflasks in public too and justified that harrassement as " just them having fun". They were having FUN, by harrassing others, generally complete strangers. That was also stupid and mean, but many defended that as well...sigh.

A little social courtesy goes a long way in making the game a lot more enjoyable for everyone, not just the flask tossers or false worldbroadcasters.

Strikes me very much like the goobs who pull false fire alarms just to see everyone have to leave the building. Not acceptable.

TEK
03-19-2009, 11:05 AM
So lets ask all those who saw it and did log off and changed their plans for the evening, and were silently cursing Turbine for killing their evening if was "Fun" for them after that?

why? they're probably the same people who dont read a greater teleports or too lazy to learn anything about the game to make them a better or more AWARE person/player. but lets not assume that they share your lack of humor.

Zenako
03-19-2009, 11:06 AM
I had a guildy playing with this in guild chat last night....

was pretty funny. He was spoofing other members of guild chat as well.

Unfortunately, this is probably going to delay Mod 9 another week while they add in user permissions for custom text

I view this as acceptable, as a prank among friends, and it is very different than a general broadcast to the public instance.

Would be fitting if they came out and made it clear if we do have a delay that this was a part of the reason.

Strakeln
03-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Ya ever notice that the only ones not laughing when someone does something like this are the ones who were stupid enough to log off?

TEK
03-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Ya ever notice that the only ones not laughing when someone does something like this are the ones who were stupid enough to log off?

or the ones jealous that it didnt happen to them or that they didnt think of it themselves :D

Aspenor
03-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I view this as acceptable, as a prank among friends, and it is very different than a general broadcast to the public instance.

Would be fitting if they came out and made it clear if we do have a delay that this was a part of the reason.

not gonna happen. this has been around since launch. chill out a little bit, zen

weyoun
03-19-2009, 11:14 AM

Awwwww
Awwwwwww
Awwwwwwwww
Awww no!

Who doesn't ignore legitimate broadcasts?

WeaselKing
03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
BTW, still loving that insane rant of a sig, Ghoste.

HeavenlyCloud
03-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Which one? The one about all your fleshling characters being deleted? Or the plain server shutdown for maintenance?

Heh, gotta stop doing that before I get myself banned!

I stopped doing that when i got banned :o not even a 1-3 day ban, a full week!

Schmackdown
03-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Squelched. Blacklisted. Done.

akla_thornfist
03-19-2009, 11:42 AM
well its official WOW has come to ddo let the griefing begin.

TEK
03-19-2009, 11:47 AM

lol you act as if ghoste and everyone here just signed up to DDO.

HeavenlyCloud
03-19-2009, 11:49 AM

Sorry to say Akla but you didn't handle this properly. You started calling names right away, if you don't like it fine just report it, but seriously insults will get you nowhere and will only make you look bad.

toughguyjoe
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Squelched. Blacklisted. Done.

However will you get through titan lickettiy split without good old Ghoste?

WELCOME BACK BROTHA!!!!

Now lets pimp out this place and make it RAIN!!!(ghouls of course)

toughguyjoe
03-19-2009, 11:53 AM

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/ScreenShot00319.jpg

TFPAQ
03-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Man I can't believe you would do something like that. What were you thinking? Totally unacceptable to so many people in this thread! You should be banned!

... So how did you do that again?..

Lol, get over it people ... sheesh!

Aspenor
03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
OH GODD somebody tricked me into logging off OHHHH THE HORROR!!!!

Zenako
03-19-2009, 12:11 PM
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/ScreenShot00319.jpg

eeeewwwww, get a room.....:D:eek::eek:

Mhykke
03-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I stopped doing that when i got banned :o not even a 1-3 day ban, a full week!

I tried to talk you out of it.

Do'Urden
03-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Wasn't there when it happened, but I have a quick couple of questions:

Is griefing people you don't know considered generally acceptable behavior? Do people legitimately derive pleasure from griefing people they don't know?

Zenako
03-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Is griefing people you don't know considered generally acceptable behavior? Do people legitimately derive pleasure from griefing people they don't know?

Based on many of the comments in this thread it is great fun, and how dare anyone tell them otherwise...its a laugh a minute to screw with other players, especially ones you do not know or know you.:(

Missing_Minds
03-19-2009, 12:31 PM

Given the fact this method was less painful than the old "type /death to find out how many times your characters has died."

Yes (to the second part). The more people complain, the more joy they get out of it.

TEK
03-19-2009, 12:34 PM

yes and no. both opinions here are valid. zenako and others are valid, however they're taking something that's supposed to be taken as a light jab and turning it into and uppercut.

pranks are pranks and yes sometimes its malicious and cruel, but sometimes it isnt. instead of lumping everything into one biased opinion we should really be evaluating the whole situation.

some people find it fun and some people dont simpe as that. but what people dont realize is that they have FULL CONTROL on how they feel and how they react to it. My girlfriend is biased on eating a bannana because of how it looks in stead of how it tastes or what it does for you. did the bannna really do anything? no it didnt, but she CHOOSES to be upset if it is offered to her.

Big-Dex
03-19-2009, 01:04 PM
As an eye-witness of this ... err... wicked, evil deed. ;) A couple of points...

1) This happened only in one instance - instance 2 of Meridia if I am not mistaken. I had two boxes up and unless I recall wrong, that toon was in instance 1 of Merdia by the bank. It did not show up there. In other words, only a limited few got hit by it. EDIT: Oh yeah... and as indicated below ... it was about 11 pm central when this little prank took place.

2) My guild was about to enter a speed Shroud run. He almost got us, but for those who could read this message would also have noted that Ghoste was called on the joke in the general chat almost 10 seconds after his gag message hit. If I recall right, he even fess'd up or someone did for him. A little discernment would have gone a long way.

It was funny. I could see how some would have been fooled. In any case, lighten up and smile. You got nabbed in a fairly harmless way.

Remember ... MOD9 is way overdue and some of us are bored out of our skulls waiting for some new content. :D Others are way too cranky about the delay in MOD9 for their own good. :mad: These forums are clear evidence of that! Smile. No harm ... no foul. :p

FWIW...

Dex was here.

weyoun
03-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Based on many of the comments in this thread it is great fun, and how dare anyone tell them otherwise...its a laugh a minute to screw with other players, especially ones you do not know or know you.:(

Seriously, what is the world coming to when you get tricked into logging off a video game? ZOMG your gaming aspirations for the night lay in utter ruins. Ruins I say!

Reading compehension FTW!

Zenix_Leviticus
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Wow!! I really just thought it was funny. I wanted to give Ghoste his due
to let him know that he got us and we think it is funny.

I had no idea that people would actually gotten so upset over this.

Before you guys continue to roast him for griefing (whatever..::rollseyes::), just
take a look at who it affected.

It was 11:30 pm central when the server starts to die down a bit. It was only visible
by the people in meridia. This means that if you were in the Shroud or a quest, you
would not have even seen the message. This means if you were in the Market, or
one of the houses, you wouldn't have seen it.

So basically the 20 or so people standing around in Merida at 11:30 pm
central saw it. I doubt that anyone "changed" their plans at this point. They probably
just logged off one quest early or didn't sell their loot before logging.

This was NOT a malicious prank or griefing. This was a funny practical joke that will
now cause everyone to read the (World Event) messages more closely. Just like
we now know to read the greater teleport more closely so you dodn't get sent to
the Twilight Forge after a quest is over.

Take a deep breath and repeat after me.

WOOOOOOO-sahhhhhhhhhhh
WOOOOOOO-sahhhhhhhhhhh
WOOOOOOO-sahhhhhhhhhhh

and finally

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO-ssssssssaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Lithic
03-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Wow!! I really just thought it was funny. I wanted to give Ghoste his due
to let him know that he got us and we think it is funny.

I had no idea that people would actually gotten so upset over this.

Before you guys continue to roast him for griefing (whatever..::rollseyes::), just
take a look at who it affected.

It was 11:30 pm central when the server starts to die down a bit. It was only visible
by the people in meridia. This means that if you were in the Shroud or a quest, you
would not have even seen the message. This means if you were in the Market, or
one of the houses, you wouldn't have seen it.

So basically the 20 or so people standing around in Merida at 11:30 pm
central saw it. I doubt that anyone "changed" their plans at this point. They probably
just logged off one quest early or didn't sell their loot before logging.

This was NOT a malicious prank or griefing. This was a funny practical joke that will
now cause everyone to read the (World Event) messages more closely. Just like
we now know to read the greater teleport more closely so you dodn't get sent to
the Twilight Forge after a quest is over.

Take a deep breath and repeat after me.

WOOOOOOO-sahhhhhhhhhhh
WOOOOOOO-sahhhhhhhhhhh
WOOOOOOO-sahhhhhhhhhhh

and finally

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO-ssssssssaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

What you are not understanding, is if even 5 of those people fell for it and cut their gaming time short, thats 5 people who were negatively affected. They probably chalked it up to turbine sucking again, and maybe 2 of them cancelled their subscription over this "last straw". Starting to sound serious yet? There were also likely well over 50 people who say that message since 2 meridia instances are often present until close to that time.

This is the kind of thing you do to your friends or guildmates, NOT to strangers. Doing so makes it greifing, and a ban would have been well deserved. Its like tossing a ddoor on raid chests, or having grease and sleetstorm active on the end boss. In a guild run, fine. Can be hilarious. In a pug? Greifing pure and simple.

Zenix_Leviticus
03-19-2009, 01:47 PM
What you are not understanding, is if even 5 of those people fell for it and cut their gaming time short, thats 5 people who were negatively affected. They probably chalked it up to turbine sucking again, and maybe 2 of them cancelled their subscription over this "last straw". Starting to sound serious yet? There were also likely well over 50 people who say that message since 2 meridia instances are often present until close to that time.

This is the kind of thing you do to your friends or guildmates, NOT to strangers. Doing so makes it greifing, and a ban would have been well deserved. Its like tossing a ddoor on raid chests, or having grease and sleetstorm active on the end boss. In a guild run, fine. Can be hilarious. In a pug? Greifing pure and simple.

I will say it again.

WOOOOOOOOOO-sahhhhhhhhhhhhh

and once more with feeling.

WOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-SsSsSaAaAhhhhAAHHHHH.

Really, it makes you feel better.

Schmackdown
03-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Wow!! I really just thought it was funny.
Oh, well, there's where anyone that didn't find it funny went wrong, then, they didn't consult you about what is and isn't funny and guessed incorrectly.

This was NOT a malicious prank or griefing.
As you define it, evidently. If someone logged for the night based on this when they hadn't intended to previously, how is it not griefing, regardless of what you think of their intelligence level? You are arbitrarily testing their gullibility, and punishing them if they fail that test. That is griefing.

What I don't get about any of this is that the act in question doesn't sound funny at all, and you are seriously reaching if you think (World Event) messages need more attention.

I join a pug, then go AFK while they finish the quest, coming back to loot the chests at the end. I think it's funny as hell that I've just made them all my b!tches. Do you think it's funny? No? Get a sense of humor.

I join a pug, create chaos and act like a boor, dispelling buffs and scrambling aggro at every turn. I think it's funny as hell that we fail. You don't? Get a sense of humor.

I immediately hit the last altar in the Shroud when you've said 20 times in party and voicechat that you need to DD out for another chance at a small shard, this is the only toon you have ready, and your guild has been waiting on you for 20 minutes to include you in the next run. I think it's funny as hell that you have to wait another three days, and that all of your guildies sat around waiting for nothing. You don't? Get a sense of humor.

Despite all efforts to the contrary I somehow fail to format this post in a manner that isn't all jacked up and wide, so you have to scroll side to side to read it. I don't think that's funny as hell, but if I did and you didn't, get a sense of humor.

None of these examples are any different from what's being discussed here. It's still a game, you still shouldn't take it seriously, etc. Anyone dismissing this as harmless cedes the right to ever whine about anything any player ever does again, in quest, out of quest, whatever. Because someone else can always come along and say you just don't understand how ephn funny it is, and that after all, it's just a game, and you shouldn't take it seriously.

Humor is not universal.

cardmj1
03-19-2009, 02:00 PM

OMG! Do us all a favor and reach behind you, grab the stick, and pull. It's a joke (an olde joke at that) and you fell for it. Laugh, live, and learn.

Tolero
03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Just to be sure, be careful with "pranks" against your fellow players. Impersonation of Turbine staff is actually something covered in the CoC, and can get you in serious trouble :(