PDA

View Full Version : New feat: Bash

feynman
03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Doesn't Turbine know that a hammer is just a really heavy set of lockpicks?

Uska
03-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Shouldnt take a feat to be able to smash a chest open but is you bash it open some stuff inside should have a chance of being broken

Kistilan
03-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Shouldnt take a feat to be able to smash a chest open but is you bash it open some stuff inside should have a chance of being broken

Or even better, maybe if you were an Artificer with BASH utilizing the Artificer's Hammer, you could actually warp the loot inside of the chest! Everyone pulls Black Holes one moment, +1 WoP Rapiers the next and a heap of scrolls the third time by infusing a little creative magic into the BASH Feat (Artificer's Bash, PrE AP 2 level 18 buy).

"The Artificer has learned to infuse his bash on any locked chest with a touch of wild magick, adding a chaotic factor to the loot within. Sometimes, however, chests tend to explode as per a delayed fireball blast, so you've really got to ask yourself if you're feeling lucky. Well, do ya?" :D

QuantumFX
03-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Only if we get the spell Bigby’s Big Honkin Crowbar.

Kistilan
03-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Only if we get the spell Bigby’s Big Honkin Crowbar.

I got that one in my hip-pocket. :rolleyes: Aye, Thank-you. I'll be here til DDO respecs.

PS: I got a big pocket, so it works. It's funny.

esoitl
03-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Look back to the good old days of 2nd Ed. for the Lift Gates/Bend Bars roll for STR.
Unfortunately with the accelrated stats achieveable I think this might be slightly broken in DDO so it would have to be scaled way back.... although implmentable.

Sort of breaks some quest schemes though and slightly excludes Rogues which excludes players which makes players unhappy......

feynman
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Look back to the good old days of 2nd Ed. for the Lift Gates/Bend Bars roll for STR.
Unfortunately with the accelrated stats achieveable I think this might be slightly broken in DDO so it would have to be scaled way back.... although implmentable.

Sort of breaks some quest schemes though and slightly excludes Rogues which excludes players which makes players unhappy......

Nah, just scale the DC the same way it scales the open lock DC; this would keep rogues useful at high level, unless you know someone with a 60 STR.

Khorban
03-14-2009, 10:42 AM
/agree

...but...

In an effort to keep Balance for the Rogue - there should be strict requirements to Bash a Chest, in addition to a high chance of an Item being Destroyed - and the inability to Loot said Item

Reason

1. The Rogue Class would immediately be rendered obsolete... who needs a Lock Picker when you can destroy the chest yourself?
2. Physical Destruction of the Chest must have a Negative outcome - Game Balance

..and FYI...

I completely understand your Logic - If you only knew how many times I've ran up to a Chest, found it locked - hit attack and said...

'Oh yea, I can't Destroy Chests here - what am I thinken'

Kalari
03-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I dont see it making rogues obsolete since most of the time they will just ask a caster to bring knock if no rogue can be found. I honestly dont get why some doors in quests or in the korthos quests blockades can be bashed open but not other things. Just make it a random chance of ruining the loot inside and it could be a fun feature.

The only con I can see to it is someone doing this on an elite chest and annihilating good loot then the forum b**** fest would start up.

Khorban
03-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I dont see it making rogues obsolete since most of the time they will just ask a caster to bring knock if no rogue can be found. I honestly dont get why some doors in quests or in the korthos quests blockades can be bashed open but not other things. Just make it a random chance of ruining the loot inside and it could be a fun feature.

The only con I can see to it is someone doing this on an elite chest and annihilating good loot then the forum b**** fest would start up.

I've ran into plenty of Magi who don't have Knock in their books...same as MM.... *shrugs* I try not to assume how other people are going to play their Chars.

But - there should not be a b-fest... it would be a known drawback and there is always that one who is gonna blow the chest open for the sake of Chaos.

Kinda like the Rogue that goes around beating up boxes for the small bonus....... hahaha haven't quite figured that out yet - but whatever - its what they do and I'm not here to judge.

GreenEye
03-14-2009, 08:26 PM
There are definitely ways to make anything in-game possible without being overpowered... its called GOOD PROGRAMMING!! I would make the BASH a clicky effect with a 60 min. timer. So for the majority of quests you get 1 shot per tank to BASH a chest. Still have to beat a STR based DC which could be something like quest lvl +20 (or 25, or 30...) For the higher level quests you'd only have a good shot with a raged STR built tank. Fair, doesn't replace rogues, not overpowered, strategic, and many even (omg...) FUN???

Khorban
03-14-2009, 09:33 PM
There are definitely ways to make anything in-game possible without being overpowered... its called GOOD PROGRAMMING!! I would make the BASH a clicky effect with a 60 min. timer. So for the majority of quests you get 1 shot per tank to BASH a chest. Still have to beat a STR based DC which could be something like quest lvl +20 (or 25, or 30...) For the higher level quests you'd only have a good shot with a raged STR built tank. Fair, doesn't replace rogues, not overpowered, strategic, and many even (omg...) FUN???

haha last I remember - no one is really opposed to this (unless I missed a post somewhere) - step back for a sec n take a deep breath - it's ok - we all havin fun - I am anyway - i would LOVE to have this added...

just not as a clicky tho... too many clickies now.... got more hot bars than i care to look at right now... good thing there is ALT-Z - I get some really good screenies in this game...

MAN... I LOVE DnD!