PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Allow non-casters to take metamagic feats

Deathseeker
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Dragonmarks are a great addition to the game, but could use a little encouragement as they aren't widely used. As dragonmarks are affected by the Metamagic feats, these can be a fantastic tool in enhancing their use. However, one significant drawback is that the metamagic feats are not available to non-casters. Changing this would be a nice improvement to encourage unique builds to use dragonmarks.

For example, the elf 2nd tier dragonmark allows casting displacement. This is a very nice addition for an intimitank build as being able to self-displace has some serious tactical advantages. On a fighter, who has lots of feats, taking extend to make this more useful is a logical choice. But alas, it cannot be done as the metamagic feat is not available to the fighter.

I dont see any downside to allowing this, other than making dragonmarks more powerful, which to me is a plus, not a minus.

Uska
03-10-2009, 08:03 PM
while they dont fit the requirement of having spells I dont see the harm as you said it wouild make dragonmarks more effective which cant be bad.

Junts
03-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Dragonmarks are a great addition to the game, but could use a little encouragement as they aren't widely used. As dragonmarks are affected by the Metamagic feats, these can be a fantastic tool in enhancing their use. However, one significant drawback is that the metamagic feats are not available to non-casters. Changing this would be a nice improvement to encourage unique builds to use dragonmarks.

For example, the elf 2nd tier dragonmark allows casting displacement. This is a very nice addition for an intimitank build as being able to self-displace has some serious tactical advantages. On a fighter, who has lots of feats, taking extend to make this more useful is a logical choice. But alas, it cannot be done as the metamagic feat is not available to the fighter.

I dont see any downside to allowing this, other than making dragonmarks more powerful, which to me is a plus, not a minus.

Except that metas work on dms with no added cost, which is ********, and the only race that would ever do this are halflings; self-healing emp heal halflings are really kind of ********, something that helped more than the only used kind of dragonmark would be a much better change.

halfling dms are fine, in fac,t quite good.

Deathseeker
03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
the only race that would ever do this are halflings

The elven 2nd tier dragonmark is also handy. Other than that though, I tend to agree. But with 4 feats required to be spent, none of which can be fighter or monk bonuses, that's a heavy price for a halfling to pay, so I dont see the harm in allowing this.

Junts
03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
The elven 2nd tier dragonmark is also handy. Other than that though, I tend to agree. But with 4 feats required to be spent, none of which can be fighter or monk bonuses, that's a heavy price for a halfling to pay, so I dont see the harm in allowing this.

unless you are a monk or a fighter

i dont see anyone devoting 3 feats to 'you have a few 3 minute displacements' when smoke1 items are available.

Uska
03-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Except that metas work on dms with no added cost, which is ********, and the only race that would ever do this are halflings; self-healing emp heal halflings are really kind of ********, something that helped more than the only used kind of dragonmark would be a much better change.

halfling dms are fine, in fac,t quite good.

not the only ones just the main the elf mark would like extend I am sure and humans would llike that as well. and it still takes points to do so and some builds are at a preimum on those.

QuantumFX
03-10-2009, 11:55 PM
unless you are a monk or a fighter

i dont see anyone devoting 3 feats to 'you have 19+ minutes of displacement' when smoke1 items are available.

Fixed that for ya.

QuantumFX
03-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Back on topic: The eberron sourcebooks mention 2 other solutions.

First, would be the addition of Dragonmark Rods. These items allow you to apply specific metamagic feats to your dragonmark abilities.

Second, is that some dragonmarked characters implant Dragonshards into their flesh to get metamagic effects. This could work like a tome.

Turbine could also just be generous and work it into the planned Dragonmarked Heir PrE.

Uska
03-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Back on topic: The eberron sourcebooks mention 2 other solutions.

First, would be the addition of Dragonmark Rods. These items allow you to apply specific metamagic feats to your dragonmark abilities.

Second, is that some dragonmarked characters implant Dragonshards into their flesh to get metamagic effects. This could work like a tome.

Turbine could also just be generous and work it into the planned Dragonmarked Heir PrE.

all good ideas