PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Whirlwind Homebrew

Damionic
03-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Fighter Whirlwind Homebrew
The aim of this is to create a fighter TWF build that is not a clone to the ranger tempest...favouring attack damage and to hit rather than weapon speed.

(Based loosely on the tempest preview)

Fighter Whirlwind I
Prerequisites: Fighter level 6, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Two Weapon Fighting,

Cost: 4 AP

Benefit: Your training has turned you into a whirling fighter, granting a 10% chance to achive a glancing blow and a +2 to hit bonus whilst two weapon fighting.

Fighter Whirlwind II
Prerequisites: Fighter level 12, Whirlwind I, Fighters Haste 2, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting,Combat Expertise,Improved Two Weapon Fighting.

Cost: 2 AP

Benefit: Your training has turned you into a whirling fighter, granting a 15% chance to achive a glancing blow and a +2 to hit bonus whilst two weapon fighting your hit damage has been increased by 1.

Fighter Whirlwind III
Prerequisites: Fighter level 18, Whirlwind II, Whirlwind (feat), Greater Two Weapon Fighting,

Cost: 2 AP

Benefit: Your fighting arts have turned you into a Whirlwind, granting a 20% chance to achive a glancing blow and a +2 to hit bonus whilst two weapon fighting your hit damage has been increased by 1.

Special: Tornado
Once per rest you are a Whirling Tornado granting 20% knock down chance (like the Air Elementals) + 2 Str and +2 Con (whilst whirling)

This uses up the Whirlwind feat and the Tornado Special is part of the Whirlwind attack...The whirlwind feat can be used independently unless the tornado special has been used after such the Whirlwind feat is unusable till next rest.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Feat:Whirlwind_Attack

Monkey_Archer
03-07-2009, 06:51 AM
(whilst whirling)

:D

what is a 10% competence bonus to glancing blows for TWFs?

Cold_Stele
03-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Curious - what's wrong with Kensai?

Damionic
03-07-2009, 06:59 AM
It meens at whirlwind fighter I..there is a 10% chance you will achive a glancing blow whilst two weapon fighting..updated first post

p.s for those that think this is overpowered..please bare in mind it costs

9 Feats and 10 Enhancement Action Points.

Damionic
03-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Curious - what's wrong with Kensai?

Because Fighters need a WOW factor.

Borror0
03-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Huh?

By the way, the glancing blow thing makes so sense at all.

Damionic
03-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Huh?

By the way, the glancing blow thing makes so sense at all.

ok reality check...if you had a weapon and you swing it aganced two people standing side by side..it is very possible to hit more then one person in sequence..regardless of the weapons actual size (i.e roundhouse kick)

Just because your thinking in little carboard boxes..does not make it law.

If glancing blows Do Not make Sence..then try to explane cleave and great cleave.

Borror0
03-07-2009, 08:14 AM
If glancing blows Do Not make Sence..then try to explane cleave and great cleave.
Cleave and Great Cleave require you to slow down for a reason. Hitting one target is vastly different from hitting multiple targets and each target slows you down.

Plus, if you are to make this an to hit multiple objects in your way, then it would only make sense to lower the to-hit rather than raise it.

PS: This is weaker than Kensai.

MetaSyn
03-07-2009, 08:31 AM
glancing blows with TWF, lol, hmmm, and with whirlwind and/or cleave, great cleave makes no sense at all with TWF,,probably better i dont comment any further.

Damionic
03-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Cleave and Great Cleave require you to slow down for a reason. Hitting one target is vastly different from hitting multiple targets and each target slows you down.

Plus, if you are to make this an to hit multiple objects in your way, then it would only make sense to lower the to-hit rather than raise it.

PS: This is weaker than Kensai.

Because the Likelihood is diminished because of the increased rate of failure...Perhaps (This is not 100% bulletproof) to be honest,

The to-hit was just copied over from the tempest...on review the hit damage can be increased due to the fact that it takes more effort to hit more than one person in sequence..Meaning that the increased effort accounts to more power in the blow...so more damage.

In respect of the Over/Underpoweredness of the build...I deliberately conserved the amount of goodies, as being underpowered allows for improvement...Being overpowered in the first release makes it farfetched thus deemed unworkable so dismissed...

Borror0
03-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Because the Likelihood is diminished because of the increased rate of failure...Perhaps (This is not 100% bulletproof) to be honest,
...what?

The to-hit was just copied over from the tempest...on review the hit damage can be increased due to the fact that it takes more effort to hit more than one person in sequence..Meaning that the increased effort accounts to more power in the blow...so more damage.
Don't get what you're trying to say.

In respect of the Over/Underpoweredness of the build...I deliberately conserved the amount of goodies, as being underpowered allows for improvement...Being overpowered in the first release makes it farfetched thus deemed unworkable so dismissed...
Why simply not come up with something balanced in the first place?

Anyway, this is all but a pointless discussion since there is no Whirlwind PrC in D&D.

Dexxaan
03-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Deja Vu or Did'nt we already have this Whirlwing Nonsense thread already?

/not signed

Damionic
03-07-2009, 09:07 AM
...what?

Don't get what you're trying to say.

Why simply not come up with something balanced in the first place?

Anyway, this is all but a pointless discussion since there is no Whirlwind PrC in D&D.

Deja Vu or Did'nt we already have this Whirlwing Nonsense thread already?

/not signed

I see the trolls have awoken from slumber and are set to derail anything that is creative and observed.

Damionic
03-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Though I feel that im now wasting my breath..

I'd like to point out that its an idea created as PrE because of the Path in the Mod 8 New Player Experience..

Dexxaan
03-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Though I feel that im now wasting my breath..

I'd like to point out that its an idea created as PrE because of the Path in the Mod 8 New Player Experience..

Actually your OP was a waste, wait...your prior thread was already,....but you realized (just now) it was so.

Making sense and personal taste usually don't go hand in hand, game balance is a tricky thig and creativity needs these elements or else it's someones wet dream being imposed on the many.... Argh. What's Hillary Clinton doing in my thoughts! :eek:

Borror0
03-07-2009, 09:37 AM
I see the trolls have awoken from slumber and are set to derail anything that is creative and observed.
If you think we are derailing this thread, you may need to look up derail once again. We're not off-topic.

If you think we are attacking your idea because it's creative, then you are misunderstanding what we post. In itself, it's pretty funny because the main criticism I made was that it was unflavorful. Your PrE lacks verisimilitude and if you think 'lacking verisimilitude' is synonymous with 'creative' than you need that not all creativity is good.

A pink elephant shooting flaming sharks from its eyes is creative but I would not want one in DDO. It'd be a flavor killer.

I got that when I saw the title - but I don't see the point in making this build.

Kensai is already a very solid PrE for TWf.

Damionic
03-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Actually your OP was a waste, wait...your prior thread was already,....but you realized (just now) it was so.

Making sense and personal taste usually don't go hand in hand, game balance is a tricky thig and creativity needs these elements or else it's someones wet dream being imposed on the many.... Argh. What's Hillary Clinton doing in my thoughts! :eek:

I don't need to know about you and your dreams about Hillary Clinton..but whilst I respect other people's view points on builds and indeed anything..I do not condone a shatting on views just because I don't aggree with it..

Damionic
03-07-2009, 09:42 AM
A pink elephant shooting flaming sharks from its eyes is creative but I would not want one in DDO. It'd be a flavor killer.

Actually I would be quite bemused and entertained if this was in the game :)

As I've posted above..its not that you don't like my idea...its how you painted the point!

Borror0
03-07-2009, 09:51 AM
...its how you painted the point!
Not sure if you realize it but you're making yourself very hard to understand.

It read your sentences above dozens of time and kept being confused. Write clear explanation of your logic, and we may get it better (although, if one needs to spend time to understand the logic behind an ability it is bad design as that is the kind of thing that should be intuitive and give a clear image upon reading it).

Damionic
03-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Paint

To describe vividly in words: the survey paints a dismal picture of growing hunger and disease

Honestly if you have difficulty understanding me..then throwing words like "verisimilitude" suggests some grasp of the english language.

Borror0
03-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Honestly if you have difficulty understanding me..then throwing words like "verisimilitude" suggests some grasp of the english language.
Never said my understanding of the English language was not good.

PS: By the way, using words like verisimilitude is proof of good vocabulary, not understanding of the language... anyway...

Damionic
03-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Ok I will try to "dumb down" so the ppl here can understand me

Cold_Stele
03-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Ok I will try to "dumb down" so the ppl here can understand me

Could this thread actually get any dumber? ;)

Seriously OP - as far as pnp goes the Whirlwind Ftr invariably took the Weapon Master PrC as the prereqs were WF, SA and CE.

Weapon Master in pnp is pretty much Kensai in DDO (in fact it was actually called Kensai in Oriental Adventures). It's far from exactly the same, but it's as close as you're going to get.

Hope that helps.

Memnir
03-07-2009, 12:43 PM
No.

TreknaQudane
03-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Well, there is a 'Dervish' PrC

Dexxaan
03-07-2009, 01:24 PM
A little bit more "tone", and a pinch of pretentiousness and I believe we've discovered Bran's long los British cousin. :D

Tanka
03-07-2009, 03:50 PM
A little bit more "tone", and a pinch of pretentiousness and I believe we've discovered Bran's long los British cousin. :D
No, he's Dingo's successor.

Monkey_Archer
03-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Actually, i wouldnt mind seeing something like this for 2 reasons...
1) Would allow the devs to completly spec out kensai for THF :D
2) Might allow the usage of this priceless phrase :D

(whilst whirling)

...v...
03-09-2009, 10:54 AM

Give them evasion, then we can talk.