PDA

View Full Version : XP Idea

Bissrok
02-28-2009, 07:59 AM
I'll just go ahead and say it: Why isn't this XP boost permanent?

Leveling is slow as hell in this game, even with it. I spent seven hours yesterday getting from level three to about halfway through four. And I was running with a full group almost the whole time. We'd do a quest on Normal, than Hard, then Expert, then move on. And we'd do all the side quests, we'd break all the barrels, and that XP would still just crawl.

But I don't want to run through the same dungeons over and over and over again. Yeah, there's probably some hidden away but, if there is, no one I played with seemed to know about them. Plus, there seems to be a lot of people drawn in by this extra XP. I ran with a full group last night and, if someone dropped, I'd literally have a new request within half a minute. And, plus, DDO's three years old. Anyone that hasn't seen the endgame content with the normal XP rates probably never will. And most of the vets have alts that they're grinding through the same content they've played before. I've subscribed several times but I never even get to see the mid-game content, because I get so burnt out on rerunning these same Marketplace missions.

And, please, don't suggest missions I could do. That's not my point here. I just wanted to ask, "Why not keep it around?" If someone subscribed for the anniversary, and they play for three days with +50% XP, running the same missions over and over, then it drops down to almost nothing... well, it's a good reason to stop playing for another year.

Tanka
02-28-2009, 08:40 AM
The various tiny bonuses you get for breakables and killing everything are generally better spent by completing without getting those done and moving right along.

And there are certainly better quests to run, but I'll leave that to others to discuss.

Uska
02-28-2009, 08:42 AM
leveling is pretty darn quick in this game unless you take it casual

uhgungawa
02-28-2009, 08:46 AM
leveling is actually pretty fast. most games have like 80 lvls, we have 16. but there is 80 ranks, so think of a rank as a lvl in comparison to other games and it equals out.

Impaqt
02-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Level 3 to level 4.2 in this game is the equivalent of 6 ot 7 levels in WoW or LoTRO. 7 hours for a non power gamer isnt all that bad.

Lorichie
02-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Also op, dont take 7 hours for 1.2 levels as gospel. From 3-4.2 in a group, a solid group takes far less than that. Heck, me and a friend two manned 2-5 in four-ish hours the other day, without xp bonus. But yes, we ground the same dungeons over and over.

If you want to level that fast, you gonna have to repeat the high xp quests. That being said, seven hours for a level was prob too long imo.

R

Arianrhod
02-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Really...how fast do you want to level? If you gained a level a day, you'd be capped in barely 2 weeks (current max level is 16). A better way to look at it would be whether you can do all the quests your level before leveling past them (check your patrons tab for a list of quests - you can sort them by level). In this respect, leveling is pretty close to just right until about level 9, where it slows down a bit till level 13 or so (for some reason, many of the level 9 - 12 quests are pretty hard for players leveling their first character to complete "at level", not to mention that most of them are parts of quest chains).

Strakeln
02-28-2009, 12:24 PM
The traditional PnP way of playing the game (dungeon crawl/scouting/etc) can make XP come very slowly. If you're interested in gaining XP quickly, a tactics change helps immensely. Keep the following in mind:

Just because it moves, you don't have to kill it
AoE spells work best when there's lots of mobs around to apply them to. Gather up mobs to facilitate this, don't take them on one-to-one.
Keep moving!
Repeat #3

hobbitkniver
02-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Leveling is slow, but theres only 16 level. If you gained a level as often as you do in runescape or WoW, you'd be level 16 in a couple weeks. Also, a 10-day free trial owner could do half the game!

Bissrok
02-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't mind the current leveling speed so much. I just don't like having to repeat places to get to the next set of quests. It's nice to think of ranks as being equal to a traditional level, but there's no real power level difference between them, and you won't open up new quests by jumping up a rank.

If it came down to either grinding quests four times each or burning through the levels in two or three weeks, yeah, I'd rather go with the second option. I mean, in a perfect world, there'd be enough quests to level normally without ever being forced to repeat one.

But, yeah, I'll try looking at the patron list and running through things quicker. See how that goes.

hobbitkniver
03-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't mind the current leveling speed so much. I just don't like having to repeat places to get to the next set of quests. It's nice to think of ranks as being equal to a traditional level, but there's no real power level difference between them, and you won't open up new quests by jumping up a rank.

If it came down to either grinding quests four times each or burning through the levels in two or three weeks, yeah, I'd rather go with the second option. I mean, in a perfect world, there'd be enough quests to level normally without ever being forced to repeat one.

But, yeah, I'll try looking at the patron list and running through things quicker. See how that goes.

I do agree that you shouldn't have to redo a quest to get the XP.