PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Magic

hobbitkniver
02-27-2009, 07:29 PM
I am a ranger, I am level 4, why can't I cast magic. It says my ability score is too low. Is that WIS or INT? Either way, I choose a pregenerated build, so that shouldn't be a problem. BTW I choose tempest, if that resticts me from magic, that is seriously cruel to throw on a new character without warning them when they choose tempest.

KaKa
02-27-2009, 07:33 PM
The required stat is Wisdom. I know this looks bad, but there is hope. If you can get yourself an item that boosts your wisdom stat to the required minimum for spells you will gain your ability to cast.

hobbitkniver
02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
The required stat is Wisdom. I know this looks bad, but there is hope. If you can get yourself an item that boosts your wisdom stat to the required minimum for spells you will gain your ability to cast.

Do you know what the required wisdom is? *sigh* Should have thought this through.

KaKa
02-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Required wisdom is 10+ the spell level. So a minimum of 11 for level 1 spells (10+1). With rangers only receiving up to level 4 spells the highest wisdom you will need to cast spells is a 14. Which is not hard to get with the correct items.

By the way what wisdom does the pre-generated class start you with?

Borror0
02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Do you know what the required wisdom is? *sigh* Should have thought this through.
You'll need 10+ spell level. I assume you've gone Tempest. If so, that means you'll need a +1 Wisdom item.

hobbitkniver
02-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes, I chose tempest, it's just annoying that they didn't tell me ahead of time, plus my MP are 2, so I have to get an item for that too.

Borror0
02-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes, I chose tempest, it's just annoying that they didn't tell me ahead of time, plus my MP are 2, so I have to get an item for that too.
Server and character name?

honkuimushi
02-28-2009, 12:26 AM
+1 wisdom items are very common. There is one among the Waterworks end rewards and you can probably get one from the brokers in the Rusty Nail or from the auction house for a few hundred gold. Once you hit level 5, see if you can get a +2 item. That will increase your will save by 1, allow you to cast up to 2nd level spells and give you a few bonus spell points for high wisdom.

On the subject of spell points, a spell point item is a good investment. There is a necklace from the Waterworks end reward list and a trinket from Tangleroot. You can also find Power or Wizardy items in random loot. You can also take the enhancement Energy of the Wild at level 4 for 20 spell points. Once you get to level 6 you'll start gaining spell points just about every level.

For 1st level Ranger spells, the standouts are Longstrider, Resist Energy, and Ram's Might. For a Tempest, grab Ram's Might first.

hobbitkniver
02-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Server and character name?

Khyber, Visul

Arianrhod
02-28-2009, 01:20 PM
The witch doctor at the end of Butcher's Path (Kneeza) frequently has a +1 wisdom trinket (Kneeza's Bauble) in his chest. Shouldn't be too hard to run that solo at 4th level if you don't happen to see anything in your price range on the Auction House.

hobbitkniver
03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
The witch doctor at the end of Butcher's Path (Kneeza) frequently has a +1 wisdom trinket (Kneeza's Bauble) in his chest. Shouldn't be too hard to run that solo at 4th level if you don't happen to see anything in your price range on the Auction House.

Nah, I just bought one ofe those.

Lifespawn
03-01-2009, 03:56 PM
rangers and pally's start with low sp it'll ramp up as you level.