PDA

View Full Version : "Charm" effect on players, ideas how to do it.

rayemo1
02-26-2009, 08:11 AM
I think I messaged about this one before, that charm isnt in as a player effect (for obvious balance reasons)

Just like FEAR doesnt take control of the player, neither should charm. But it should still be in there.

Charm makes you friends with the charmer.... for players casting this is a instant ally.

For enemies casting it (and vampires just stun you with it for a while)
This should just make you unable to hurt the charmer. You have no reason to like the charmer's allies.

So what it could do is make you unable to cast area of effect spells (l.bolt and rays included in the ban) (because you're scared of hurting your new buddy)
Nor can you cast any non-beneficial spell on the charmer. (as a single target)
Your weapon swings will not hit the charmer at all.

So you're still free to target the charmer's allies, but you wont be able to cast area of effect spells for the charm duration.

rimble
02-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Don't really care to see something like this, but I remember in Everquest there were some things that could charm you. One of the funniest/frustratingest things that could possibly happen to you, hehe. Think WoW had one spot I can recall too, probably more. Kinda cathartic to just sit back and watch your character beat on your party.

negative
02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
While I'm glad fear works the way it does here, I've always been a fan of charm taking over your character and making you beat on your party.:D

Deathseeker
02-26-2009, 10:56 AM
I would love to get charmed and beat up on my own party. I think that would be a fantastic addition to the game. Especially if we have WoP's equipped, or vorpals...that would be fantastic!

Doesnt the Vampire in Church and the Cult have a "dominate" spell that basically freezes you in place? I think that would be the dev interpretation of an enemy "charm" effect on a player, wouldn't it? Or am I misremembering...?

Impaqt
02-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Every thread you've posted has been a Complaint or a Suggestion on how to change it. How about you play the game for a while before deciding it need huge changes? This isnt WoW, or NWN, or Eve, or even PnP D&D.

If you spend too much time on what you dont like about the game, your never going to enjoy yourself.

unionyes
02-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Every thread you've posted has been a Complaint or a Suggestion on how to change it. How about you play the game for a while before deciding it need huge changes? This isnt WoW, or NWN, or Eve, or even PnP D&D.

If you spend too much time on what you dont like about the game, your never going to enjoy yourself.

/applause

Lorien_the_First_One
02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I think I messaged about this one before, that charm isnt in as a player effect (for obvious balance reasons)

Just like FEAR doesnt take control of the player, neither should charm. But it should still be in there.

Charm makes you friends with the charmer.... for players casting this is a instant ally.

For enemies casting it (and vampires just stun you with it for a while)
This should just make you unable to hurt the charmer. You have no reason to like the charmer's allies.

So what it could do is make you unable to cast area of effect spells (l.bolt and rays included in the ban) (because you're scared of hurting your new buddy)
Nor can you cast any non-beneficial spell on the charmer. (as a single target)
Your weapon swings will not hit the charmer at all.

So you're still free to target the charmer's allies, but you wont be able to cast area of effect spells for the charm duration.

I'm guessing you don't know anything about how the charm spell works in D&D. Your suggestion goes against the flavor of charm. You should be his ally, which means he should be able to convince you your former friends are not your friends. At the very least, that his friends are now your friends. What should really happen is you should be working as an AI controlled bot for the charmer, just as the enemy's you charm work for you, but that would be a bit upsetting to people so the current implimentation is a good balance.

Perhaps you might want to play for more than a couple days before you start making suggestions on changes.

rayemo1
03-03-2009, 03:41 AM
Doesnt take long for the fiendish trolls to show up, not listening to whats said just attacking.

Yes this isnt NWN, and just because I'm posting on a trial account doesnt mean that I'm a newbie, I have trialed the game before and I was in the beta as well. Every now and then I come back to trial to see how things have progressed, see if things have got better or worse.

The reason I make suggestions is because I do see the potential of the game, it's the people who dont care, that are ready to jump ship that make no comment and just accept things as they are till they cant accept them anymore then they leave.

The reason WHY I made the suggestion as I did, is because having external things take control of your character is frustrating, however funny it might be, you're here to play the game not watch it played by AI. Is exactly why fear was done the way it is, it's perfect as it is. The way dominate from a vampire is done isnt ideal, but it's basically a punishment for not having protection from evil spell on you. You just become frozen, which is frustrating as well.

Giving control to the player but limiting what they'd be able to do , (like hurt the charmer in some way) would be the best way to do it.

It's only a suggestion anyway, theres no need to be so defensive like i'm abusing the game in some way or you personally which is what you've tried to turn around onto me.

Borror0
03-03-2009, 05:14 AM
Doesnt the Vampire in Church and the Cult have a "dominate" spell that basically freezes you in place? I think that would be the dev interpretation of an enemy "charm" effect on a player, wouldn't it? Or am I misremembering...?
Before making that encounter any deadlier, it could be toned down so it can be completed without a spellcaster.

If attempted at that level, it's nearly impossible without a sorcerer or a wizard.

Missing_Minds
03-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Op, the best way to mimic things of how charm works on the NPCs, for it to work on us is to actually re skin the NPCs to look like your allies, and your allies to look like NPCs, and change the tables of who has friendly fire on and off. Of course you should see no indication on your screen that you are charmed. (aka the party hat.)

But seriously.. give up a quest on changing charm. Trust me on that.

Thrudh
03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Op, the best way to mimic things of how charm works on the NPCs, for it to work on us is to actually re skin the NPCs to look like your allies, and your allies to look like NPCs, and change the tables of who has friendly fire on and off. Of course you should see no indication on your screen that you are charmed. (aka the party hat.)

heh, that would be awesome.... very inventive idea.