PDA

View Full Version : A question for the devs regarding movement speeds

binnsr
02-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Something that I've been pondering for a while now is why don't we have racial movement speeds in the game.
I know that this was brought up during beta and answered that having characters that were slower than the rest of the party would be too big of a (perceived) disadvantage. However, it's 3 years later and we have 30% striders, barbarians speed increase, sprint boosts, monk speed increases, perma-haste, and et cetera, so I think the time has come to revisit this topic.

From the SRD, the base movement speeds of the races in DDO are:

Human base land speed is 30 feet
Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
Elf base land speed is 30 feet. (Implied by their elven heritage)
Halfling base land speed is 20 feet.
Warforged base land speed is 30 feet. (Eberron Campaign Setting)

On the surface, this should be pretty straight-forward to implement and given the plethora of speed-increasing abilities in the game, it wouldn't unbalance anything -- sure, human monks will be faster than halfling clerics, but realistically, now is that any different than today? :)

My suggestion would be to use 30 as the base -- so a character race with 30ft/turn would have a 100% speed (i.e. no change from today), while characters with 20ft/turn would have a movement speed of 90% of that given to them (30ft vs. 20ft would mathematically be a 33% speed difference, but that's HUGE and probably wouldn't be very well recieved :))