PDA

View Full Version : Story/Immersion Ideas

bderagon
02-18-2009, 12:52 PM
What is an RPG, or DnD without its story? Why do we want to play an rpg over an action game? That concept of a world and story, and here's my personal thoughts on how to expand that:

1.) Give us more of a reason to use the tavern system, or at least something to do while in a tavern, and make the world more immersive at the same time:
a.) PVP stats for that tavern.
b.) In-game announcements: Guilds/Players to last finish a nearby raid instance, and the difficulty. Most folks
have no clue what guilds are capable of doing what, and would help get people more involved in the
end-game content. Maybe put this on the public billboards or town criers I discuss below? Or even have a
separate npc for them.
c.) Public billboards: Maybe a character limit as to the notes that are allowed to post on them, or what, but a
public, in-game posting system. Most folks don't visit the forums, plus forums require an out-of-game action,
require you to remember yet another username, and password, and you get a lot of people not on your
server. (good and bad). In-game billboards, would have none of those issues, as you'd be posting as your
character, and all other characters on the billboards would be on your server.
d.) Town criers/tavern criers updated with the newest Stormreach Chronicle.

2.) Announcement of mod updates, and new features in-game, from NPC's. Instead of us getting the same canned responses everytime, maybe before a mod update, or after a mod update, putting news of the new features that are being worked on, into the NPC's. Maybe in passing a wizard would mention he's researching a spell, etc, a captain or guard could mention he's heard rumors of something happening in a new outdoor area you guys are developing. It'd also give more of an RP background to the changes introduced into the game. Again, also prevent that static-never changing feel.

3.) More events like the destruction of the Marketplace tent. Even if the events are not live, and just placed around mod updates, occasional changes to the existing environments are a good thing, that help keep the world from becoming "static". I'm still a young character, and realize a decent amount of this has already been done. :) Please keep it up or add more.

Reasoning: One of the bigger flaws about EverQuest or WoW, or a number of other mmo's, is the starting areas, the original towns, haven't really changed that much in 3, 4, 10 years, if at all. For starting players, there's nothing new to show them there, and for existing players who have outgrew the content, there's no real reason to go back.

4.) In-game player titles, similar to your system in LoTRO. But on a lesser scale, maybe for completing the Waterworks on Elite, you earn a title, you can display after your name now. For earning certain faction ranks, etc. Give us one extra perk for running those quests, give us on extra way to customize our character.

5.) Character Creation/Development, borrowing a bit from other mmo's, and games like Arcanum, or even other D&D games like NwN 2 here.
a.) Sub-races: I'd love to see sub-races implemented. Maybe all they alter is a base stat or two, and the
skin/hair color choices like in LoTRO, but heck, its one more way to customize our character. These should be
minor projects too. Unlike half-elf or half-orc, these aren't new models, but instead, more options/redesigns
on an existing model that already has the animations.
b.) Backgrounds: Having some of the backgrounds, based on a minimum starting stat, that gave a +1 or +2 to
two or three skills, and a -1 or -2 to two or three skills, or even -5 or so to one skill. Take a look at the NWN2
or Arcanum backgrounds which are pretty well balanced imo. Again, an extra perk that lets you further
customize your character or your build, one more step beyond everyone elses.

6.) Achievement System - I'd like to see a more global achievement system, on smaller and larger scale. Right now, my character has no incentive to finish Waterworks, or Korthos Island, or Cerulean Hills. The amount of time I'd have to sink into it, to attain sometimes 0 exp, other times 300 xp, is far outclassed simply by doing another quest my level, or even repeating a quest my level. Adding titles for finishing all the slayer/exploration/rare encounters in a zone, like Cerulean Hills. Or for obtaining a particular favor rank. Would be one more extra perk, encouraging me to do quest content I might have otherwise skipped. All of this is stuff you already track.

You could even add "better" rewards, in terms of gear/money/character stats for completing multiple outdoor zones.

Please folks, expand on these ideas :).

Kalari
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Once again im working on auto pilot for my brain but wanted to get these down before I forget them.

1. Emotes- We have quite a few of them but id like to see a few more, some have already been said before, curtsy, blush, slap, tickle stuff like that. Though you can just type them out it would be nice to see more emotes with actions to them.

2. Housing even though taverns are supposed to provide a cozy setting, most have pvp in them and the lobster has vendors. Makes it really hard to sit and have a conversation unless your in party and if you wanted to do something large you have to limit yourself to a raid group of 12. I know people who host their own events that would like a place where they could hold a massive group thing where communication would not be so sketchy. One that comes to mind was last years Gary Gygax memorial on Sarlona, we used the temple of the soverign host for the event which was awesome but it would have been even nicer if we could all link up and listen to a speech instead of just reading chat.

3. Quests that give options that dont always involve killing. The thing I miss about my old pen and paper campaigns were quests with options. Now they have one quest in 3bc that sort of leans towards that. Where you can opt to spare the kobolds life. Id like to see quests where you have to get an artifact towards the npc boss or to a certain area with your party before time runs out. Quest like that were always fun for me or rescue quests, where you save x person like rescue Arrisa but make it where if you dont get there in time the poor maiden is done for.

4. An area where random encounters happen, I like the thought of the out door wilderness area doing this. But Id even be for it in the market place or harbor for lowbies where a character will appear at random with a quest. If you and your party agrees you get teleported to said quest and take it on. Then npc grants you <item> of choice.

whew really have a ton more but im burning out lol. good thread hope to come back with more of my ideas.

BronwynnBane
02-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I actually think it would be really cool if they had a contest where players submitted their own dungeon designs and story line to go with it. And the winner would get a forum title and have the quest developed in some form (I am sure some alterations would need to be made to it) in a future Mod. I am sure DDO player base has tons of PnP DM's that had awesome ones they had thought up. I know there was a previous thread a while back that people were posting ideas just for fun but an official contest would really be cool I think.

I think the community needs to be able to get more ideas of what they would like to see in the game and this would be a really neat way to do it. There has got to be some really great ideas out thee that the Dev's haven't thought of.

bderagon
02-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Once again im working on auto pilot for my brain but wanted to get these down before I forget them.

2. Housing even though taverns are supposed to provide a cozy setting, most have pvp in them and the lobster has vendors. Makes it really hard to sit and have a conversation unless your in party and if you wanted to do something large you have to limit yourself to a raid group of 12. I know people who host their own events that would like a place where they could hold a massive group thing where communication would not be so sketchy. One that comes to mind was last years Gary Gygax memorial on Sarlona, we used the temple of the soverign host for the event which was awesome but it would have been even nicer if we could all link up and listen to a speech instead of just reading chat.

I personally hate the idea of personal/player housing, but I know that goes on both sides of the fence, and a lot of people love it. The way its been done in every game I've played, has been absolutely terrible. Even LoTRO's housing was better than most I seen, which gives me some hopes for turbine implementing it properly, but it still lacks the immersion I think is necessary for a D&D game.

On the other hand, I'm all for guild housing, especially if it has extra/added features, like a small built-in pvp area if you wanted to run your own, internal, guild events, and a priest to stay at, barkeeps, etc. As a guild meeting ground, that'd be awesome.

As far as entire server-wide, or community events, I'd love to see a public event area added, Turbine could even host seasonal events there, but then, in-game events/server-wide events such as a memorial, could also be held there.

3. Quests that give options that dont always involve killing. The thing I miss about my old pen and paper campaigns were quests with options. Now they have one quest in 3bc that sort of leans towards that. Where you can opt to spare the kobolds life. Id like to see quests where you have to get an artifact towards the npc boss or to a certain area with your party before time runs out. Quest like that were always fun for me or rescue quests, where you save x person like rescue Arrisa but make it where if you dont get there in time the poor maiden is done for.

I think a player-submitted quest/dungeon design contest to get more of these ideas flowing would rock, it'd be a really good way to get a number of ideas in there.