PDA

View Full Version : Favicon

Ustice
02-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I think that this is the fourth forum maintenance without a fix for the favicon. It's just a file-copy. Can someone please copy/paste this file over? I realize that there are procedures that need to be followed, but this one is a ULTRA low-risk change.

Tolero
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I think that this is the fourth forum maintenance without a fix for the favicon. It's just a file-copy. Can someone please copy/paste this file over? I realize that there are procedures that need to be followed, but this one is a ULTRA low-risk change.

It's actually not as simple as file copy or I'd just do it myself :) but am following up with my forum techies (hardware move took priority over favicons)

Ustice
02-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I know that there is bureaucratic red tape to navigate and labor contracts to negotiate, but it ultimately comes down to:

ssh %server_admin%@ddo.com
cp %ddo.com_root%/favicon.ico %forums.ddo.com_root%/favicon.ico

Or am I missing something? I'm sure that your back-up solution should be able to accommodate a change in this file.

From the official vBulletin forums (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202747):

I would like to change my website browser favicon from the default vbulletin one. How do I do this?

Where is the default vbulletin favicon located? Thank you
[Note: Colin_F's title is vBulletin Team]

The vBulletin favicon is located in the forum root directory.
Simply overwriting that should work.

I'm really not trying to be annoying/obtuse, but what else is there to it?

Tolero
02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm really not trying to be annoying/obtuse, but what else is there to it?

Trust me, there actually is more to it than that. The above works if you're just hosting a forum by your lonesome with nothing else trying to talk to it ^^ fortunately the web dev is pretty sure he knows what is causing it to keep reverting back. Moving the file over is a temporary solution that isn't fixing the initial problem of it changing back in the first place.

Ustice
02-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Oooh! Juicy, behind-the-scenes geeky details! So, what IS the problem? How do you have things set up? Of course details that could compromise security should be omitted, but I'd love to know how you have things set up.

Tolero
02-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Oooh! Juicy, behind-the-scenes geeky details! So, what IS the problem? How do you have things set up? Of course details that could compromise security should be omitted, but I'd love to know how you have things set up.

Well I can't get into too many specific details, other than to say in general terms that the dev believes there is a bit of tech that is not playing well with others and keeps going "NO! ALL YOUR FAVICON ARE BELONG TO ME!" and isn't accepting the changes to the proper one. A temporary fix of course is uploading the file direct, but then as soon as that bit of tech gets its paws on the forums it tries to do the wrong thing. He's pretty sure he knows how to put it in its place though... which will be good!

Harncw
03-04-2009, 08:45 AM
See that...

even a vBulletin website, and favicon is vast and mysterious

WeaselKing
03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Or did we get our favicon back?

Borror0
03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Or did we get our favicon back?
Yeah. We did. Tolero even sent a PM to Ustice about it, hehe