PDA

View Full Version : Meridia is a great example of a small vocal minority screwing up the game.

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 02:20 AM
How do you go from a small compact city where you can instance anywhere you need to be in about a second? To a huge expanded land of marathon running to get to five quests. I am gonna tell ya. I see a small vocal minority who has the ear of Turbine directing the ship and I for one do not like the open spaces run through Meridia. Please try polling in the game itself, not on the forums or some pod cast, try customer response surveys like the one with hirelings. Try anything to get the real feel of the type of gamer who plays this game. I was lost in meridia!!! Running for me in game has no value what is the point how many times can you see the same things and enjoy them. This is not WOW Turbine does not have Billions of dollors to spend on atmosphere so just focus on dungeons if I wanted a long run:mad: everywhere I wouldnt be playin this game.

Timber
02-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Glad I'm a wizard and can teleport otherwise I'd likely agree with you :)

Ok. I don't think I read it properly the first time. But I don't mind running to the quests at all from Meridia, doesn't take too long and it's a time waster.

FluffyCalico
02-18-2009, 02:27 AM
How do you go from a small compact city where you can instance anywhere you need to be in about a second? To a huge expanded land of marathon running to get to four quests. I am gonna tell ya. I see a small vocal minority who has the ear of Turbine directing the ship and I for one do not like the open spaces run through Meridia. Please try polling in the game itself, not on the forums try customer response surveys like the one with hirelings. Try anything to get the real feel of the type of gamer who plays this game. I was lost in meridia!!! Running for me in game has no value what is the point how many times can you see the same things and enjoy them. This is not WOW Turbine does not have Billions of dollors to spend on atmosphere so just focus on dungeons if I wanted a long run:mad: everywhere I wouldnt be playin this game.

1) It's 5 quests.
2) Giant hold is the same way and that mod was probably the biggest success they have ever had for a mod.
3) Considering #2 I think you are the "vocal miniority"
4) If its really hard for your group of 6 to deal with 10-15 trash mobs on the way you won't be able to do the quest anyway
5) It's ok for you to not like the way it is. But plese don't claim to be the majority when the most popular areas are like this. To name another C06, Thernal ruins, Tangelroot, Giant hold. Many areas at open were like this where you had to run through mobs to get to the quest. It's not something they suddenly changed

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 02:37 AM
Meridia is nothing like co6 or Tangleroot or any of the others you have mentioned. Who is running with 6 people to get to the 5 quests. Meridia is HUGE way bigger then any of the others. The vocal minority is the same as the people who cried about static loot or wop or not enough places to explore or nerfing this that or anything else. RUNNING IS NOT FUN PERIOD !!!!!!:p Gianthold is much smaller then Meridia. RUNNING FROM PLACE TO PLACE IS NOT FUN.

bandyman1
02-18-2009, 02:43 AM
I'm guessing this is a joke post;

But the Desert is WAYYYYY bigger than Meridia bro.

bobbryan2
02-18-2009, 02:44 AM
1) It's 5 quests.
2) Giant hold is the same way and that mod was probably the biggest success they have ever had for a mod.
4) If its really hard for your group of 6 to deal with 10-15 trash mobs on the way you won't be able to do the quest anyway
5) It's ok for you to not like the way it is. But plese don't claim to be the majority when the most popular areas are like this. To name another C06, Thernal ruins, Tangelroot, Giant hold. Many areas at open were like this where you had to run through mobs to get to the quest. It's not something they suddenly changed

1) It's a LOT more than 5 quests... I can't believe you even typed that... let's see... it's 4 in Reaver's Refuge, 5 in Meridia, 9 in Gianthold, 4 in the Orchard, 2 in Ataraxia, 2 in the Black Anvil Forest, 7 in Tangleroot, 9 in Threnal, 10 in Sorrowdusk, 4 in Waterworks, and I'm probably forgetting some.

5.... really now...

2) Gianthold was very popular. It also gave shrines in front of most quests, and teleport locations near each trio of quests. These have been completely absent from newer incarnations.

3) There's no way of knowing who's in what majority or minority or whatever. I do know that most people I know consider having to run to every single quest, all the time, without fail gets tiresome. It wasn't bad in Gianthold when you could teleport a good portion of the way, and run the rest of the way without trash mobs, but it has gotten progressively more annoying. Now, with some quests like Kobold, you're having to duck in and out of quite a few trash mobs. It's not a big deal for people like me that are good at this game, but for the over 40 crowd, or people without a lot of gaming experience... it serves as a very big barrier to overcome to catch up to a party already started.

4) Few parties have difficulty with a few trash mobs. Hell.... few individuals do. But there are people that have a lot of problem... usually they're the people that can't turn and run at the same time. It's definately important to note that the harder they make each quest to get to, the harder those people have with getting to quests.

5) You can like how it is... I thought it was a wonderful idea to open up Meridia and have people have to explore a new area and get there the first time. I thought it was an atrocious idea to leave it off the teleport list and have people continue to run there time after time. It's something that's happened more and more with each module, and I totally understand Turbine's reasoning. It adds tons of flavor, and gives each new quest a certain degree of 'isolation' and more D&D feel. But you can't deny that it gets really tiring running to the quest over and over.

Really... a lot of these issues could be fixed with a teleport spell that allowed casters to teleport parties to quest locations they've visited before. Requiring parties to go there the first time, and skipping the flavor later. Plenty of places worked like this before... Gianthold, Tangleroot, Restless Isles. It was a good idea then, and should probably be expanded upon in the future.

So while I like the flavor for sure... I do think work arounds should be implemented as well.

Gelandor
Meridia is nothing like co6 or Tangleroot or any of the others you have mentioned. Who is running with 6 people to get to the 5 quests. Meridia is HUGE way bigger then any of the others. The vocal minority is the same as the people who cried about static loot or wop or not enough places to explore or nerfing this that or anything else. RUNNING IS NOT FUN PERIOD !!!!!!:p Gianthold is much smaller then Meridia. RUNNING FROM PLACE TO PLACE IS NOT FUN.

It takes all of 30-60 Seconds to run from Meridia to any of the quests in the vale. Compared to other MMO's where you have to run 10+ minutes to get to a quest, this is nothing.

The quests there are well worth the quick run. Quit whining.

bobbryan2
I'm guessing this is a joke post;

But the Desert is WAYYYYY bigger than Meridia bro.

Who hasn't complained about having to run to Chains of Flame again?

I know I did just today...

It's a pain.

Gelandor
02-18-2009, 02:47 AM
1) It's a LOT more than 5 quests... I can't believe you even typed that... let's see... it's 4 in Reaver's Refuge, 5 in Meridia, 9 in Gianthold, 4 in the Orchard, 2 in Ataraxia, 2 in the Black Anvil Forest, 7 in Tangleroot, 9 in Threnal, 10 in Sorrowdusk, 4 in Waterworks, and I'm probably forgetting some.

5.... really now...

2) Gianthold was very popular. It also gave shrines in front of most quests, and teleport locations near each trio of quests. These have been completely absent from newer incarnations.

3) There's no way of knowing who's in what majority or minority or whatever. I do know that most people I know consider having to run to every single quest, all the time, without fail gets tiresome. It wasn't bad in Gianthold when you could teleport a good portion of the way, and run the rest of the way without trash mobs, but it has gotten progressively more annoying. Now, with some quests like Kobold, you're having to duck in and out of quite a few trash mobs. It's not a big deal for people like me that are good at this game, but for the over 40 crowd, or people without a lot of gaming experience... it serves as a very big barrier to overcome to catch up to a party already started.

4) Few parties have difficulty with a few trash mobs. Hell.... few individuals do. But there are people that have a lot of problem... usually they're the people that can't turn and run at the same time. It's definately important to note that the harder they make each quest to get to, the harder those people have with getting to quests.

5) You can like how it is... I thought it was a wonderful idea to open up Meridia and have people have to explore a new area and get there the first time. I thought it was an atrocious idea to leave it off the teleport list and have people continue to run there time after time. It's something that's happened more and more with each module, and I totally understand Turbine's reasoning. It adds tons of flavor, and gives each new quest a certain degree of 'isolation' and more D&D feel. But you can't deny that it gets really tiring running to the quest over and over.

Really... a lot of these issues could be fixed with a teleport spell that allowed casters to teleport parties to quest locations they've visited before. Requiring parties to go there the first time, and skipping the flavor later. Plenty of places worked like this before... Gianthold, Tangleroot, Restless Isles. It was a good idea then, and should probably be expanded upon in the future.

So while I like the flavor for sure... I do think work arounds should be implemented as well.

He was stating that the Vale consits of only 5 quests, to which he is 100% correct.

bandyman1
02-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Who hasn't complained about having to run to Chains of Flame again?

I know I did just today...

It's a pain.

I actually like the desert.

The problem with CoF...AGAIN ( key word here ), is the repeat each time to run DQ.

bobbryan2
02-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Reading comprehension not your strong suit? He was stating that the Vale consits of only 5 quests, to which he is 100% correct.

I believe I said the vale has 5 quests. The complaint of the OP applies to a great many quests in this game, as I mentioned. Now... if you're going to trivialize the actual complaint of having to 'run' to quests by saying it's only 5 quests... then you're being purposefully dense.

If it was only Meridia... I'm sure the OP wouldn't care that much.

But then again... that requires extrapolation... which is apparantly the enemy of reading comprehension. Who knew?

bobbryan2
02-18-2009, 02:54 AM
I actually like the desert.

The problem with CoF...AGAIN ( key word here ), is the repeat each time to run DQ.

Well, yes.... flagging is a big problem for the DQ. No argument there.

Flagging would lose about half its pain to me if you could teleport to CoF after running it once. Maybe I'm totally unique there.

Timber
02-18-2009, 02:55 AM
I believe I said the vale has 5 quests. The complaint of the OP applies to a great many quests in this game, as I mentioned. Now... if you're going to trivialize the actual complaint of having to 'run' to quests by saying it's only 5 quests... then you're being purposefully dense.

But then again... that requires extrapolation... which is apparantly the enemy of reading comprehension. Who knew?

I'm pretty sure OP was referring to Meridia in particular, but it is likely that the OP could also be annoyed with running to other quest too.

bobbryan2
02-18-2009, 02:58 AM
I'm pretty sure OP was referring to Meridia in particular, but it is likely that the OP could also be annoyed with running to other quest too.

Yes... Meridia is a great example of the problem the OP was referring to.

sephiroth1084
02-18-2009, 02:58 AM
I wish we had larger areas, but ones that were more interesting. Sure, running out to Meridia can get tiresome, and then run from Meridia out to one of the Vale quests can be a chore at times, but have you ever stopped to look at the place? I've run through there scores of times, and still find it breathtaking.

Why do you want to run around in a sandbox when you could be on a beach? I wish the city as a whole opened up a bit. Sure, the 10 min. + travel times of WoW are probably annoying (I've never played the game), but the flavor gained from that kind of space does so much for the game. If you don't want to adventure, why play DDO? Heck, why have a city and such? Why not just have one quest lead right into the other? You could come out of the starter and enter a room with X exits, where X is the number of quests of your level. Take a door, go in a quest, come out and go on to another.

I love Three Barrel Cove. The desert is a lot of fun to explore, and the Vale is okay. Gianthold is too...purple and plain to be interesting, and most of the encounters tend to be against very large groups of hard hitting monsters, which makes it harder to explore witha decent group than most of the other areas. But, anything that adds to the sense of fantasy and of a larger world is good for DDO.

Honestly, I'd prefer having the whole game opened up a bit more, where, instead of being teleported from a tavern out to some place on a map of Xen'drik, we got to walk or ride out there. I'd prefer for there to be some space between each of the Houses and the Marketplace (since they all seem to have different weather, sky, and geographical features. I wish the explorers lead into one another, so that we could walk over the mountains into the desert, and cross the next horizon to find ourselves above the Vale or something. I'd much prefer a game with a stronger sense of world and of flavor. It's really one of the only things WoW has that has really tempted me.

Correspondingly ,though, there should be more teleporters added in that function only after a person ahs made the trek on foot. Or, perhaps, we could be given Ring Gates, where we could place one within an explorer area, and teleport to a point we choose.

Gelandor
02-18-2009, 02:59 AM

It may be true that the OP's complaint applies to many areas in the game, and not just Meridia, but the OP does specifically named Meridia, to which fluffy stated only consisted of 5 quests, which you rebuttled.

I am not trivializing anything, even running to CoF is not that big of a deal. Get over it.

Gelandor
02-18-2009, 03:02 AM
...Why do you want to run around in a sandbox when you could be on a beach? I wish the city as a whole opened up a bit. Sure, the 10 min. + travel times of WoW are probably annoying (I've never played the game), but the flavor gained from that kind of space does so much for the game. If you don't want to adventure, why play DDO? Heck, why have a city and such? Why not just have one quest lead right into the other? You could come out of the starter and enter a room with X exits, where X is the number of quests of your level. Take a door, go in a quest, come out and go on to another...

I see where you are coming from here, but a large part of the issue when running the 10+ minutes to quests in WoW and other games, is that fact that the world is so huge, that you are almost never in the same area as anyone else in your group, and it takes forever for everyone to get to the quest, but I digress.

FluffyCalico
02-18-2009, 03:04 AM
1) It's a LOT more than 5 quests... I can't believe you even typed that...

Read much? he said the vale was only 4 quests. I corrected him and told him there were 5. Which is correct by the way. Learn to read please. If you read my quote of what he said you will see it origionally said 4 quests then after I quoted and responded he changed his post to say 5

sephiroth1084
02-18-2009, 03:22 AM
I see where you are coming from here, but a large part of the issue when running the 10+ minutes to quests in WoW and other games, is that fact that the world is so huge, that you are almost never in the same area as anyone else in your group, and it takes forever for everyone to get to the quest, but I digress.

Uh...what? Is that a good thing? A bad thing? A related thing?

I'm not sure whether I'd prefer a teleporter or having to ride a griffin, or some such, from one end of Xen'drik to the other. Obviously, the ideal would be to have both options, but I'd be afraid of the griffins, or some such, dying from negligent caregivers, since their stables would become a ghost town as soon as the faster route became available.

I think part of my unfulfilled desires for DDO stem from the use of Eberron rather than Greyhawk or another similar setting for the game. The whole steampunky feel just doesn't jive with what we're actually doing and how we're playing. Nor does it appear supported withint the world very well: we see teleporters, floating everything, and all sorts of other examples of elaborate and powerful magic all over the city, yet people need to hire us brigands, the adventurers, to go into their homes, crypts, libraries, sewers and graveyards to help with arachnid and scaly infestations. Why can't the NPCs with access to teleport drop a few CKs down those Tunnelworm holes and be done with it?

I think that if we had been in a more medieval-style city to begin with, or better yet a countryside with small towns, we would have had a better sense of depth to the world than of starting in, and remaining in, a single, limited city. And now, the game is too far on the back burner for requests of this nature to be even reasonable to consider propsing, since stuff like this has to take a backseat to actual gameplay features and issues. It's really a shame that this game hasn't gotten the recognition and playerbase (and funding) that it deserves.

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 03:38 AM
Do not argue about the small stuff. Is running in a mmo to and from one place to another FUN. RUNNING FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER IS NOT FUN. IN GIANTHOLD YOU CAN TELEPORT. In each house there are teleporters. Early on in this game they realized people would much rather teleport..............then you had a small bunch of people screaming about static loot and no open places. I have been here from the very beginning I KNOW. Those people whined until we got what we have today. Get your striders on because your gonna need them and be prepared to grind out quests because static loot is gone. I have been here from the start and watched the changes. :eek:

FluffyCalico
02-18-2009, 03:42 AM
Do not argue about the small stuff. Is running in a mmo to and from one place to another FUN. RUNNING FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER IS NOT FUN. IN GIANTHOLD YOU CAN TELEPORT. In each house there are teleporters. Early on in this game they realized people would much rather teleport..............then you had a small bunch of people screaming about static loot and no open places. I have been here from the very beginning I KNOW. Those people whined until we got what we have today. Get your striders on because your gonna need them and be prepared to grind out quests because static loot is gone. I have been here from the start and watched the changes. :eek:

Fail on history. People were filling the forums up asking for larger explorer areas. It was not a few like you suggest. And yes exploring is fun, questing a quest you've never done is fun, getting all optionals is fun. Trying to make everything short and quick leads to bordom. The best part of the gaming is leveling, not the terrible grind that awaits when you have done all. Stop smell the roses and look around as this is the fun part.

Again just because you say you are the majority does not make it true. Stop puttng your words in other peoples mouths. Start saying that YOU don't like it.
PS> Is there even 1 quest in the vale you can't run to in 2 min?

Lithic
02-18-2009, 03:43 AM

I'm really hoping you are joking. Boat to CO6 is more than twice as long as going to dusts, and still much longer than going to any other meridia quests, especially considering the TWO load screens you go through on sorrowdusk. Tangleroot takes even longer because you aren't likely to have haste at lvl 3 when most people do the run for the first time.

Hell there are quests where the run INSIDE is way longer than the run to get TO the quest (Coal chamber, probably devils, definately ritual, dusts too if you count all the back and forth, even rainbow is a good long jog compared the the short path to the door). Seriously if what little running we do is annoying you, quit. Come back after you've run for 40mins to get to a raid in any other game, and stop whining.

Besides, with all the food your character eats in the tavern, they need to burn some of it off or soon we will all be playing dwarves of various heights.

The only thing that annoys me about meridia is that you need to go through a 6man instance to join a 12man raid, and theres noone to teleport you directly there after you've finished the shroud once.

FluffyCalico
02-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Seriously if what little running we do is annoying you, quit. Come back after you've run for 40mins to get to a raid in any other game, and stop whining.

QFT

Onyxia raids where the warlock is out of shards comes to mind :eek:

petegunn
02-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Unfortunately what doesn't work for you works for others , there's a fine line to be drawn between one mans pleasure being another mans pain . I for one like the open areas they add flavour to the game but at the same time i can understand those who don't , the easy option turbine could try would be to provide a teleporter in the 12 so we can strike a happy balance between those who like it and those who don't .

FluffyCalico
02-18-2009, 03:53 AM
Do not argue about the small stuff. Is running in a mmo to and from one place to another FUN. RUNNING FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER IS NOT FUN. IN GIANTHOLD YOU CAN TELEPORT.

1) You can only teleport after you have done the main quest associated with that teleport. You can not at first.
2) Running to quest and doing it for the first time > than fun of teleporting there for 10th time and going though the motions of the quest.
3) Lack of fun is not the getting there, its the why am I doing this quest again for the x time issue

kamimitsu
02-18-2009, 03:59 AM
Vale routes to quests seem pretty short to me. You can always bind there and take the /death poor man's teleport if you don't like the run to Meridia.

Desert, though. I hate it... lots of running and very unclear routes. It may be some folks cup of tea, but not mine. Most of my characters skip the desert quests. Only one has completed the DQ raid for this very reason. Couple the running with the flagging system, and I say, "I'll pass".

In contrast, The Vale of Twilight seems positively microscopic.

Demitris
02-18-2009, 04:06 AM
How do you go from a small compact city where you can instance anywhere you need to be in about a second? To a huge expanded land of marathon running to get to five quests. I am gonna tell ya. I see a small vocal minority who has the ear of Turbine directing the ship and I for one do not like the open spaces run through Meridia. Please try polling in the game itself, not on the forums try customer response surveys like the one with hirelings. Try anything to get the real feel of the type of gamer who plays this game. I was lost in meridia!!! Running for me in game has no value what is the point how many times can you see the same things and enjoy them. This is not WOW Turbine does not have Billions of dollors to spend on atmosphere so just focus on dungeons if I wanted a long run:mad: everywhere I wouldnt be playin this game.

Hude expanded land of marathon running....

Clearly DDO is your first MMO, as if you think running is bad in a small enclosed world that is, you really have another thing coming when you go to pretty much any semi modern MMO.

Agreed with others, your definitely in the vocal minority that dislike the status quo.

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 04:07 AM
Did you tell me to quit Fluffy WOW anyone that does not agree with fluffy should just quit. I guess when you take the tops off of mountains and still call them mountains it makes it easy to just quit. I would hope instead of quitting you try to change the world around you and try to make it a better place. I do not want anyone to quit and you my friend should not quit. We need all the players we can get even if some do not agree with others opinions. Tell me to quit sheesh that will be the day.:rolleyes:

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Demitris I do not understand what you are trying to say sorry. I think most people agree with me and are sick of running meridia but some peoples realitys are different then others.:D

Demitris
02-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Demitris I do not understand what you are trying to say sorry. I think most people agree with me and are sick of running meridia but some peoples realitys are different then others.:D

no, you assume most people are sick of running meridia and running around the vale. In fact other than the slowness of content coming out (which with the DDO budget is understandable imo), I've yet to hear any complaints about the outdoor areas being too big or a waste of time.

As to your statement about running to get from A to B, or more your whine about it... Deal with it, DDO is one of the very few MMO's that is lenient on the amount of running we have to do, to the point of the game beginning to feel claustrophobic before the titan.

The only downfall to the outdoor areas, for me, is they have only utilised part of the potential that could have been gained from them and I don't in any way mean pack more quests into them, quests shouldn't in my book be the only reason to have them (besides the flavor).

In summary, way back, people started screaming out to see more of the world than just the walls of Stormreach. Turbine has delivered and continues to on that desire. But as everyone knows, you can't please everyone all of the time.

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 04:25 AM
Fluffy why are you attacking me. Just trying to bring up a topic that needs to be discussed. Ohh I am sorry you quoted the quit comment so you really didnt say it then sorry. You just agreed with post. Lets not make a mountain into a mole hill to extract coal thats all I am saying. Running is no fun in a mmo START a POLL.:eek: By attacking me you will earn those points so try not to personally attack ....just lookin out for ya Fluff.

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 04:30 AM
Yes I assume most people are sick of running meridia and running around the vale.:rolleyes: From the players I have spoken with they are but again different realitys and such who really knows WE NEED A POLL.:eek:

Timber
02-18-2009, 04:30 AM

It's not turbines fault people are lazy and I am one of those lazy people.

FluffyCalico
02-18-2009, 04:34 AM
WE NEED A POLL.:eek:

There have been polls and that is why every mod brings another open area. :p

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 04:40 AM
Now that people have experienced the running from place to place and know what its like peoples opinions have changed. We need a current poll like elections peoples ideas change after they see the mess one guy gets us in we CHANGE things because we are thinking beings that are able to CHANGE. NEW POLL DO YOU ENJOY RUNNING FROM QUEST TO QUEST OR WOULD YOU RATHER TELEPORT DIRECTLY THERE.???:cool:

Timber
02-18-2009, 04:42 AM
Now that people have experienced the running from place to place and know what its like peoples opinions have changed. We need a current poll like elections peoples ideas change after they see the mess one guy gets us in we CHANGE things because we are thinking beings that are able to CHANGE. NEW POLL DO YOU ENJOY RUNNING FROM QUEST TO QUEST OR WOULD YOU RATHER TELEPORT DIRECTLY THERE.???:cool:

I think initial teleporting is silly, I mean Turbine spends ages developing spectacular terrain, and for us to just ignore it completely because we can teleport defeats the hard work Turbine put in. But after we've done the quest once or twice, teleporting there would be a nice option.

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 04:48 AM
Turbines feelings have nothing to do with this they make dungeons and great art work for some dungeons that no one ever plays. I am sure they will be fine with the poll results. We pay them to design a enjoyable game. We need a poll that asks would people rather run from one place to another or have the option of teleporters to at least get you closer.

FluffyCalico
02-18-2009, 04:49 AM

Again you are not reading anyone posts. Meridia does not have the most running and is not the largest area. Ones with more running and larger spaces have been around for a long time. This ONE new area out of like 6 like has not had a huge effect that the first 5 did not. If we had it your way you would log in at the bar walk up to the bar keep and select 1-100 for what quest to do and you would never see anything, never see the city, any house at all. Just take it all out and have it be a 1 room bar where you pick a # from the barkeep.

Just say no to it

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 04:54 AM
Why not have the option like in Giant Hold that gets you closer to the destination through teleporting not directly there. I would like to just teleport there and be done with it . You always have the one guy that needs to be run to the dungeon that takes time. Time that could be used playing the game not running around.

FluffyCalico
02-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Why not have the option like in Giant Hold that gets you closer to the destination through teleporting not directly there. I would like to just teleport there and be done with it . You always have the one guy that needs to be run to the dungeon that takes time. Time that could be used playing the game not running around.

Please see other thread where people are complaining that there are teleporters that they would rather be in living grey hawk and that the teleporters and steam tech in eberron is ruining their emersion into the DnD mind set.
PS> Slayer and explorer are "playing the game"

Timber
02-18-2009, 04:56 AM
The people who design the terrain and dungeons are effectively artists, who put endless effort into making a visually enthralling area for us to explore. It feels unfair to just shaft off the effort they put in just because we're lazy and wanna teleport. Yes, there some some amazingly designed quests that people don't run, which is a pity because they are brilliant quests and look just plain awesome.

I'm not against teleporting at all, just it should only be an option after we have smelled the roses.

boldarblood
02-18-2009, 05:00 AM
1 haste is all that is needed. Run past the fights, jump into quest, takes less than 2 minutes. Why waste your time fighting your way there unless you are trying to get explorer/rares. If waiting for group to fill can clear the way to quest for fun.

Timber
02-18-2009, 05:02 AM
1 Haste Is All That Is Needed. Run Past The Fights, Jump Into Quest, Takes Less Than 2 Minutes. Why Waste Your Time Fighting Your Way There Unless You Are Trying To Get Explorer/rares. If Waiting For Group To Fill Can Clear The Way To Quest For Fun.

Qft

Pyromaniac
02-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Its sort of like the last mod, where Turbine said the player base didn't want a raid. Its not true - and neither is the idea that the player base loves running to Meridia vs the new teleport to it.

Don't assume they're listening to anyone other than themselves.

FluffyCalico
02-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Its sort of like the last mod, where Turbine said the player base didn't want a raid. Its not true - and neither is the idea that the player base loves running to Meridia vs the new teleport to it.

Don't assume they're listening to anyone other than themselves.

While there are alot of raiders there are alot that hate raids.

Example: When the dragon VON modual came out people were like hm a raid. When they announced a couple weeks later that more raids were going to be added the population in DDO dropped almost in half that month (they also anounced pvp was comming). Some people love to raid. Some people hate raiding, and the mentality of most raiders. I would suggest that the new raid vs no new raid is much closer to 50/50. The difference is almost all hardcore players raid and post on the forums. Most causaul players and none raiders don't.

PS> No character of mine has ever run to meridia more than once. Bind there, it takes 15 seconds to get from their to the marketplace. And to get back go in any bar and die, you won't even get a repair bill.

Timber
02-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Good thing about DDO raids though, is it only 12 people and you don't have to waste hours upon hours to complete them like you do in WoW. So they are more casual player friendly.

Riorik
02-18-2009, 06:47 AM

I think you're reading too much into it. Meridia is unique in that it's the ONLY safe area buried in the middle of a hostile explorer area. Despite the adjustments they did a long time ago to make the run out slightly easier (if you go straight there), going afk near anything is highly likely to leave you a corpse.

The other thing is to ask is - whether this concern includes a run out from The Twelve to quests or if it's merely from Meridia.

BlackSteel
02-18-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm perfectly fine with the vale and meridia. What I dont like is the run thru the 12. Thats annoying. Why cant the genie put me directly in the marketplace

Memnir
02-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Meridia is pretty damned cool - pity you don't like it. In my neverhumble opinion - it's one of the game's great successes.

Hordo
02-18-2009, 07:45 AM

I can see where this would be particularly boring for some people, but I've never had a problem focusing my attention for less than a minute start-to-finish to get to any quest from the entry-point for the explorer area to the entry-point of the quest. Ok, maybe 1 minute and 10 seconds if going all the way to Ritual (assuming entry is from Meridia and not the Twelve). But as far as explorer areas are concerned in-general, I, too find them boring. I like Sephiroth's suggestion to make them a bit more, well MORE, but unless Turbine is fundamentally changing the way they do things I don't see that happening. I'll be all for the 'instant teleport' to the quests too, even though that would be the ultimate in laziness, folks like the OP need their carrot given to them every now and then.

adamkatt
02-18-2009, 07:56 AM

I like the vale.. go figure..

Arianrhod
02-18-2009, 11:18 AM
One of the things that sets DDO apart from other MMOs is the ease of getting to a quest from town. It's NICE not to have to spend an hour putting a group together, then another hour getting to the quest, before you can start what you actually wanted to do. Not essential, but nice, and a selling point for DDO.

I love the outdoor areas (as long as they're at least somewhat soloable), but there should be some way to teleport to the quests (or very close to them) after a person has been there once. Tangleroot was a good model for this approach.

Baltire
02-18-2009, 11:38 AM
While you are in your rights to have your opinion, I cant see the big problem here.

The LONGEST run to any outdoor area quest in this game is Chains of Flame.....IN THE DESERT.

It takes no more than 2-3 minutes to run to ANY of the 5 quests in Meridia.

So because YOU dont like the little bit of time it takes to run somewhere, the people that DO like to explore areas get screwed????

Take 20 minutes to learn the area so you know how to get to all the quests quickly and then you never have to run around aimlessly again.

VirieSquichie
02-18-2009, 11:42 AM
How do you go from a small compact city where you can instance anywhere you need to be in about a second? To a huge expanded land of marathon running to get to five quests. I am gonna tell ya. I see a small vocal minority who has the ear of Turbine directing the ship and I for one do not like the open spaces run through Meridia. Please try polling in the game itself, not on the forums or some pod cast, try customer response surveys like the one with hirelings. Try anything to get the real feel of the type of gamer who plays this game. I was lost in meridia!!! Running for me in game has no value what is the point how many times can you see the same things and enjoy them. This is not WOW Turbine does not have Billions of dollors to spend on atmosphere so just focus on dungeons if I wanted a long run:mad: everywhere I wouldnt be playin this game.

First, if you are still getting lost in the Vale you should really check out the "M" key. The first time in there, sure...maybe even the 2nd and 3rd...but by now you shouldn't have any difficulty. It takes longer to cross most grocery stores than it does to run from one side of the Vale to the other, if you don't stop to fight every little thing along the way. If my squishy walking-shrine cleric can make it anyone can. Next you'll tell me they need to put in a teleporter between the harbor and the houses because it's too far to run, and having the existing portals that go FROM the houses to the harbor isn't good enough!

The Vale, Sorrowdusk, Gianthold Ruins...these add atmosphere. They give us a sense that the dungeons aren't the only thing in the game world. I, for one, wouldn't like to adventure entirely in a mall.

1) It's 5 quests.

/agree with all 5 points.

One of the things that sets DDO apart from other MMOs is the ease of getting to a quest from town. It's NICE not to have to spend an hour putting a group together, then another hour getting to the quest, before you can start what you actually wanted to do. Not essential, but nice, and a selling point for DDO.

I love the outdoor areas (as long as they're at least somewhat soloable), but there should be some way to teleport to the quests (or very close to them) after a person has been there once. Tangleroot was a good model for this approach.

I could go for this in some areas, but story-wise it wouldn't work so well in the Vale or Desert...the things in the dungeon and the things just outside the dungeon in each case are the same, it makes sense they wouldn't let a guide lead you right to them. The Gianthold teleporter makes more sense for areas like the Vale, for folks who just *have* to have the instant route. I'd probably use it out in the Vale if it was implemented - not all the time, but on occasion.

Impaqt
02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Seems to me the single most difficult and time consuming place to get to in this game was WAY back in Module 2....

The Twilight Forge.

Forced to run through the restless isles each time you wanted to do the raid. on top of that, the path to the raid was a 6man instance!

Seems to me public outcry on this was the reason the Twilight Forge was added to the Greater Teleport list.

After Playing LOTRO for a while, I gotta say, gettin to quests in DDO is EASY. ANyone who thinks we have too long a run needs to go play some Lotro for a while and come back. You will never again complain.

That being said, I certainly wouldnt mind more teleporting options between areas. I think the Gianthold telporter dude is great for Madstone and PoP. (Front door is easier for Crucible)

I think all Major areas should be linked with the telporter system. think all Explorer areas should have shortcuts. but not because its too had to get to quests.... Because I'm Lazy.

Thrudh
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
If waiting for group to fill can clear the way to quest for fun.

That's actually one of the MAJOR benefits of the outdoor areas...

muffinlad
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I think part of my unfulfilled desires for DDO stem from the use of Eberron rather than Greyhawk or another similar setting for the game. The whole steampunky feel just doesn't jive with what we're actually doing and how we're playing. Nor does it appear supported withint the world very well: we see teleporters, floating everything, and all sorts of other examples of elaborate and powerful magic all over the city, yet people need to hire us brigands, the adventurers, to go into their homes, crypts, libraries, sewers and graveyards to help with arachnid and scaly infestations. Why can't the NPCs with access to teleport drop a few CKs down those Tunnelworm holes and be done with it?

I think that if we had been in a more medieval-style city to begin with, or better yet a countryside with small towns, we would have had a better sense of depth to the world than of starting in, and remaining in, a single, limited city. And now, the game is too far on the back burner for requests of this nature to be even reasonable to consider propsing, since stuff like this has to take a backseat to actual gameplay features and issues. It's really a shame that this game hasn't gotten the recognition and playerbase (and funding) that it deserves.

/Generally agree.

I like Eberon, the flavor etc, but it seems more like a destination for a level 10 + toon than a place I would start out adventuring.

Now that I am in it, I don't mind it at all, but I can imagine that most people who show up are expecting more of a Greyhawk or a Blackmoor, or Forgotten Realms than this....

That is one reason I am "Officially predicting" (In the sense that I am neither an official of anything, or...much of a predictor) that the big super secret is the fact that DDO and LOTRO are going to be able to share landscapes. Giving DDO'ers the ability to start off in a more "Middle Earth-like" world would add huge realms of content overnight- Note, I am only talking maps here, not monsters, place names, items etc. as the cross liscening would be a nightmare.

muffinkreskin

muffinlad
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm perfectly fine with the vale and meridia. What I dont like is the run thru the 12. Thats annoying. Why cant the genie put me directly in the marketplace

I would like to take the Genie idea out a bit further-

Genie says- Would you like to go to-

A) The 12
B) Marketplace
C) Reavers Refuge
D) New Adventure area to be named at a later date

or
E) Tug the Genies beard, and honk his tomatto nose. Get randomly teleported.

muffinbugs

bobbryan2
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Seems to me the single most difficult and time consuming place to get to in this game was WAY back in Module 2....

The Twilight Forge.

Forced to run through the restless isles each time you wanted to do the raid. on top of that, the path to the raid was a 6man instance!

Seems to me public outcry on this was the reason the Twilight Forge was added to the Greater Teleport list.

After Playing LOTRO for a while, I gotta say, gettin to quests in DDO is EASY. ANyone who thinks we have too long a run needs to go play some Lotro for a while and come back. You will never again complain.

That being said, I certainly wouldnt mind more teleporting options between areas. I think the Gianthold telporter dude is great for Madstone and PoP. (Front door is easier for Crucible)

I think all Major areas should be linked with the telporter system. think all Explorer areas should have shortcuts. but not because its too had to get to quests.... Because I'm Lazy.

That's all I'm saying.

The Twilight Forge was RIDICULOUS. Having to clear 2 6-man instances... or clear it once, and then have one person shuttle people through one at a time. The whole thing was mind boggling coming up with an idea of how Turbine thought it was a good idea.

Then they did the same thing to a lesser degree in Meridia... so much so that everyone just bound there and /deathed.

I would 'love' for the teleport spell to get updated, and once you've been to a location... you can teleport a group there. And every quest entrance is put on it. But that's just me. I'm all about running around and exploring for fun. many places like the Vale are gorgeous.

However... I don't want to run around and explore the vale when I want to go run Ritual Sacrifice.

Vordax
02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Lets just eliminate all running from the game. Instead of logging in to Stormreach, you instead log into a form, where you pick the quest you want to run, or the vendor you want to visit. When you leave the vendor/quest you return back to the form.

Would have to have LFM access on this form too.

Would this solve your issues OP? :rolleyes:

Vordax

Strakeln
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I agree, a great example... of Turbine's incompetence.

It would have been easy to satisfy both the vocal minority and the silent majority by doing what they did but adding a destination to the house teleporter.

Gunga
02-18-2009, 02:59 PM
I agree, a great example... of Turbine's incompetence.

It would have been easy to satisfy both the vocal minority and the silent majority by doing what they did but adding a destination to the house teleporter.

I disagree. It's impossible to please everyone...you're typing proof, unfortunately.

noilli
02-18-2009, 03:21 PM

Great job roleplaying as a crazy autistic person who cannot comprehend that other people may not be as crazy autistic as him, you're really good at this!

Arianrhod
02-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Great job roleplaying as a crazy autistic person who cannot comprehend that other people may not be as crazy autistic as him, you're really good at this!

All right, now - leave autism out of this. Just cause most gamers have some autistic traits doesn't mean we should be using the term to insult one another :P

frugal_gourmet
02-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Meridia is cool. Don't make me slap you.

So is the Vale. Except for Coalesence Chamber (ewwwww).

Mockduck
02-18-2009, 04:18 PM
I also hate running to the mobs in quests. I think we should be able to teleport right in front of them, so all I have to do is click on my mouse button. Oh, except I also hate having to click on my mouse all the time, so I use auto attack. That way, all I have to do is teleport to them and target them and then beat them.

Xalted_Vol
02-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Just because people do not want the devs to feel bad. I am sorry an ego gets bruised because I would rather teleport then look at the wonderful vista of clouds and mountain tops. Stop sucking up to Turbine and try to make the game better. If we had a poll more people would rather teleport to quests then run to them. People would love to teleport at least half way like in GIANT HOLD. Sorry but some people have a vested interest in getting devs on thier shows instead of making the game better. We need a poll of what the everyday player wants not the role player or the powergamer or the permadeathers because they are small minoritys who are vocal in other formats including this forum.

Deathseeker
02-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Sure...

If you offered a teleporter, most people would take it.
If you offered a guide in each quest that would bypass 80% of thec content, most would take it after they've run the quest a few times.
If you offered a vendor that sold Devil Scales for 100gp, most would buy them.

And then most would quit because they were bored with the game.

Turbine has to balance adding "time sinks" so the content lasts longer vs. adding annoyance to the game for meaningless activities. Judging from just the response to this thread, its obvious that saying a "broad majority" agrees with the Op is quite a stretch if not completely false. Doesnt mean a majority disagrees either, but at least there are several on both sides.

Seems to me Meridia was a nice balance. 3 of the 5 quests you can get to very quickly (Rainbow, Dust and Devils). 2 others take a little longer. Shroud requires no run. Seems reasonable to me.

I especially like that the teleport/GT gets you to Meridia. Gives unique value to UMD, arcane casters and loot (the Mask) which makes the game more interesting.

Sorry Op, I have to cast my lot with the "its just fine" crowd...

Gunga
02-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Just because people do not want the devs to feel bad. I am sorry an ego gets bruised because I would rather teleport then look at the wonderful vista of clouds and mountain tops. Stop sucking up to Turbine and try to make the game better. If we had a poll more people would rather teleport to quests then run to them. People would love to teleport at least half way like in GIANT HOLD. Sorry but some people have a vested interest in getting devs on thier shows instead of making the game better. We need a poll of what the everyday player wants not the role player or the powergamer or the permadeathers because they are small minoritys who are vocal in other formats including this forum.

I am the everyday player. And I say, settle down, *********.

Oeuf
02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Meridia is pretty damned cool - pity you don't like it. In my neverhumble opinion - it's one of the game's great successes.

Yeah what he said. The only thing that angers me about the run to Meridia is when you pull the mouse view all the way back to see yourself being hit by mobs that don't even show up on the screen.

All this when we have trouble hitting mobs two feet away. That's one mechanic of the game that needs to be fixed.

:cool:

Oeuf
02-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Lets just eliminate all running from the game. Instead of logging in to Stormreach, you instead log into a form, where you pick the quest you want to run, or the vendor you want to visit. When you leave the vendor/quest you return back to the form.

Would have to have LFM access on this form too.

Would this solve your issues OP? :rolleyes:

Vordax

Sounds like Wizardry. Thought I left that behind with my mullet in the 80's.

:D

Lifespawn
02-20-2009, 11:54 AM

People disagreeing with you doesn't make us suck ups to the devs.

I have to agree with most of the posters you haven't played another large mmo 2-3 min to run to a quest is so nice i almost cry when i think about running 25 min to get to raid zone or try Eveonline where sometimes it could take 3 HOURS to fly to another part of the universe.

What I'm saying here is that running to quests in DDO is much much much much (should i put more so you get the point?) much much shorter than almost any other mmo I've ever played.

I agree that there should be a way to port to meridia besides getting a mask having umd or begging a caster to get you from the sub.

I also think there should be a way to get to the refuge without binding there once you make the run and flag for the sorjek quest i think you should have the option to port there from either the genie in meridia or his counterpart in the market at the gate to the 12 which should be added and also port you to meridia once you've either flagged for shroud or gotten favor with the 12.

Xalted_Vol
10-13-2009, 04:38 AM
Now a couple months later your all sick of slash death to get to Meridia and running to the quests in meridia I was right all along :)

Strakeln
10-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Now a couple months later your all sick of slash death to get to Meridia and running to the quests in meridia I was right all along :)

It's all about choice. Give the wide open spaces for the explorers to run about in, but let me teleport to my destination if the exploration isn't for me.

It's not really that hard of a solution.

Lakeland
10-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I played one of the largest, with a complete lack of fast travel, games from launch till now.. EQ1. I had issues when they brought in the porting systems because it wasn't what the game was about. When the game first came out to go from one continent to another you had to wait on a boat (if you were a druid or wiz) and that boat wait could be 30 minutes. When you got off the boat you could still have a 20-30 minute run depending on where you were going. That was all fine to me because the game was advertised as huge.

DDO was different because it was built for the lack of that running, that was a big part of it that drew some people. The "time sinks" were very limited, you ran a very short distance with an easy to follow map of the cities and areas and then went into an instance to do your quest. That's what I want from this game, that's what the game was built around. "Time sinks" is a code word for lack of content. I am an alt-a-holic and I have honestly got to where I dread making an alt because I hate korthos island, I hate running around to find the quests outside. My character can make magic or fend off evil but he's too dumb to buy a map of the area right outside the gates? I don't get it. It's not game breaking for me, I do what I have to do and get out of that area. Areas like Tangleroot I follow the group through and it's not horrible but it's not necessary IMO. Did C.Hills for the first time and the road took me right to the quest giver, no biggie. Have done ruins of thernal many many times and have managed to deal with the run there but again I would be happier if they were connected without a run or a teleport after you complete the chain of quests.

As for the "majority" or "minority" or forum polls saying this or that, considering the VAST majority of players never log onto the forums (for any MMO that's a simple fact) they mean nothing. Your casual player won't look here, most that are on here are your more hardcore players (not to be confused with power gamers mind you) and most of them would probably have no problem with the running around. That isn't indicative of the population as a whole though.

KoboldKiller
10-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm coming into this late but I really don't see the issue here.

I played WoW, this complaint would be perfect there or even in LoTRO, talk about long runs.

Lakeland
10-14-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm coming into this late but I really don't see the issue here.

I played WoW, this complaint would be perfect there or even in LoTRO, talk about long runs.

Again, when a game starts off with crazy long runs it's accepted, it's part of the game, when a game starts off with everything nicely packaged and easy to get to and then adds in longer runs some aren't going to like it. That makes the (relatively short) DDO runs to get to a quest more of an issue then the very much longer runs in other MMO's.

KoboldKiller
10-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Again, when a game starts off with crazy long runs it's accepted, it's part of the game, when a game starts off with everything nicely packaged and easy to get to and then adds in longer runs some aren't going to like it. That makes the (relatively short) DDO runs to get to a quest more of an issue then the very much longer runs in other MMO's.

I get that to a point however this is a game loosely based around D&D. Part of that is the flavor and setting. When I played PnP (and I am considering doing it again) I not once just "popped" in front of a quest entrance. Part of the quest is the journey and the short run to a quest is that journey. I actually don't blame the devs for making the short runs, they put in some hard work to create some very nice visuals in the outdoor areas and it would be a waste to just port to the entrance.

Belwaar
10-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Wow...there's some serious whining going on. Call that Waaaambulance!

So...do you guys not like running from one part of the Marketplace, to the other? :rolleyes:

Oh, and you no longer have to re-run the Desert quests to flag, unless you the favor or xp.

Don't a change a thing! This game is amazing and really...you're whining about a 45 second run to Rainbow?

HAHAHAH..what are your toon names so I NEVER group with you?

Lakeland
10-14-2009, 12:12 PM
I get that to a point however this is a game loosely based around D&D. Part of that is the flavor and setting. When I played PnP (and I am considering doing it again) I not once just "popped" in front of a quest entrance. Part of the quest is the journey and the short run to a quest is that journey. I actually don't blame the devs for making the short runs, they put in some hard work to create some very nice visuals in the outdoor areas and it would be a waste to just port to the entrance.

Being part of what you did in PnP makes no difference, not having to run around to get to quests was what this game was first built around, it was a selling point. To change that doesn't really make sense, again to me it's not a deal breaker but for some that don't have alot of time to play the addition of running to a quest is just time they don't have to do what they really want to do. Not to mention after the run you have to heal up/rest up for no reason. It's simply not needed for this game.

Mr_Ed7
10-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I like the runs. Gives the feel of a real D&D game to me...and some of us have teleport.

Worse comes to worse, bind in the 12 and run directly to the quest...

Xalted_Vol
10-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Whats more upsetting is buying a teleport wand at the store this gives Turbine an incentive to make longer runs you watch.

Thrudh
10-14-2009, 01:16 PM
It's not a big deal for people like me that are good at this game, but for the over 40 crowd....

Who are you calling "You people" ??!? :)

Talon_Moonshadow
10-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Having to take an extra hour to get to a quest is not fun.

It's even more not fun when you are alone joining a quest in progress.

It's really really not fun when you don't know the way.

And unbelievably not fun when it's Chains of Flames.

But
I like the explorer areas. Especially now.
And I love having something to do while waiting for a group to fill.

Bring them on!

But....
They all need shrines next to the entrance IMO.

And there should be a safe route to follow IMO too.

Of course, one of these years people will learn the benefits of Invisibility and/or stealth.

I find it almost humerous to watch people struggle to get to a quest in the new content....while my chars walk around with practicle immunity.
All because I take those potions of Invisibility out of the chests.

Sweyn
10-14-2009, 05:57 PM
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/ddo29/slice-cheese.jpg

krud
10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
If you EXPLORE the explorer area first, you will

-probably get as much if not more xp than the quests
-figure out how to get to the quests, and do it efficiently
-figure out how to deal with mobs you will most likely meet in the quests
-won't get zero xp, as you do when you fail a quest.
-can leave at any time without losing xp.
-can explore at your leisure.

getting to the quests after all that is hardly a chore.

Hafeal
10-14-2009, 06:10 PM

I agree with all that but disagree here:

Some areas, as has been pointed out, like the Desert and GH, have a PIA runs which are easy for players who do not run them regularly, to get lost trying to find. I know vets who steer clear of 3BC because they get lost after it was upgraded.

Oreg
10-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Running for the sake of running is stupid. If I can run from the gates of Gianthold to whatever quest without killing anything then I would have rather ported there. However if you want me to run from Freeport to the plains of Karana in EQ then hell yeah that run was **** exciting and you had to kill ****. Oh and it took about an hour the first few months EQ was open (yeah, yeah I know years later it was trivial but it wasn't always)

My point is - if you want us to run from point A to point B, give us something to kill, loot or see on the way (not just the first time), otherwise give me the easy port.

I find it hard to believe this was posted in seriouseness btw by a founder. Seems like more of a complaint a nub would have.

Nyvn
10-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Compared to other MMO's DDO takes almost no time to travel. If you spend more than 3-4 minutes running from any point in DDO to any other point in DDO, then you might want to look into a few options that will help reduce that.

1) UMD for Teleport/Word of Recall
2) House P Amulet
3) Haste Potions/Clickies
4) Sprint Boost

Compare a few minutes to 10+ in WoW, or even more ungodly times from Everquest.

krud
10-14-2009, 07:47 PM
I agree with all that but disagree here:

Some areas, as has been pointed out, like the Desert and GH, have a PIA runs which are easy for players who do not run them regularly, to get lost trying to find. I know vets who steer clear of 3BC because they get lost after it was upgraded.
That is what this is for
http://ddowiki.com/page/Maps

if someone has the time to b*tch about it here on the forums, they probably have enough time to find and print one of these. Follow the map once or twice while exploring and the run becomes much easier to figure out.

Asketes
10-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Do not argue about the small stuff. Is running in a mmo to and from one place to another FUN. RUNNING FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER IS NOT FUN. so killing stuff isn't fun? IN GIANTHOLD YOU CAN TELEPORT.yell louder, i can't hear you in the little mousehole In each house there are teleporters. Early on in this game they realized people would much rather teleport........how about the bracelet of teleporting friends? ......then you had a small bunch of people screaming about static loot and no open places. I have been here from the very beginning I KNOW:all about whining, yes. Those people whined until we got what we have today. Get your striders on because your gonna need them and be prepared to grind out quests because static loot is gone. I have been here from the start and watched the changes.i guess you're really just looking for attn b/c if you really didn't like it that mnuch, you'd have left by now :eek:

solution to the OP's problem: play a first person shooter? it's one big dungeon, you never have to leave it?

+1 rep to myself for that one

sirgog
10-14-2009, 10:30 PM

XP is much lower in explorer areas, particularly compared to zerg runs of actual quests.

Plus, there's no sense of achievement, and it is incredibly disruptive to a quest when a person joins a group that's in progress and doesn't know how to find the quest. Every time that happens, I have a choice - boot them from group, or seriously disrupt the flow of the quest (and the XP) to fetch them.

As a result, you get a large number of newbie-unfriendly LFMs that look like "Chains norm, in progress, know way" or more problematically "chains norm, no noobs".

Hafeal
10-15-2009, 09:47 AM
That is what this is for
http://ddowiki.com/page/Maps

if someone has the time to b*tch about it here on the forums, they probably have enough time to find and print one of these. Follow the map once or twice while exploring and the run becomes much easier to figure out.

I hear ya - but as we know, only a small percentage of the player pop. actually comes here. And some of the maps, as much as I like them, only get you to the general vicinity of the quest and I still see people get lost or request a guide, especially in the Desert and GH. And for some areas, the maps don't show the various levels because they a 2D v. 3D, which also confuses many who are not familiar with the terrain.

Lakeland
10-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Running for the sake of running is stupid. If I can run from the gates of Gianthold to whatever quest without killing anything then I would have rather ported there. However if you want me to run from Freeport to the plains of Karana in EQ then hell yeah that run was **** exciting and you had to kill ****. Oh and it took about an hour the first few months EQ was open (yeah, yeah I know years later it was trivial but it wasn't always)

My point is - if you want us to run from point A to point B, give us something to kill, loot or see on the way (not just the first time), otherwise give me the easy port.

I find it hard to believe this was posted in seriouseness btw by a founder. Seems like more of a complaint a nub would have.

One difference between EQ and DDO, in EQ if I found a safe spot I had regen that would fill my mana and hit points back up, that doesn't happen in DDO. That's huge when going to a quest where you need all your health and mana.

Makes more sense for a founder to post this honestly, when DDO first came out there was very little running around "outside" like there is now. To a newbie it's just the way it is, to someone playing from start it's a change, there are people that dislike change.