PDA

View Full Version : Favor Rewards

Eelpout
02-16-2009, 06:51 PM
There has been some good discussion on favor rewards and 32 pt builds lately, so I thought it would be nice to throw some additional ideas out there. There is a point being made about new players feeling sub-par at starting with 28pts, and also that the 1750 favor doesn't reward the character, but rather the account. Barring a way for Turbine to give us a way to respec the 28pt characters into 32pts, especially without losing Tomes or bound loot, what are some things they could offer to allow those who have already earned 1750 a way to not feel slighted? (All this is hypothetical, based on them being willing to readjust the favor system, and/or giving everyone the ability to start with 32pts)

A couple things come to my mind.
1. As has already been mentioned, if the unlocking 32pt mechanism is kept, lower it to 750 or 1000 total favor.
2. At 1750 favor, keep the +2 tome but substitute the ability to have all your characters generate +25%xp instead of the unlock of 32pts. This would still be unlocking a feature for the server in which you got the favor, and still be a benefit to all future characters you roll up. It also has the added feature of making levelling up lowbies a little less tedious

Just a couple of thoughts, feel free to disagree, add on to, or just come up with some of you own ideas.

Thanks for participating in my ramble.

Garth_of_Sarlona
02-16-2009, 06:59 PM
One suggestion: It would be good if the silver flame 2nd tier favor reward (currently increases sp and hp regen in public areas) also reduced the time between clicky regen in taverns.

I hate waiting in taverns for my clickies to regen, and it seems like a reasonable non-game-breaking reward for the effort involved.

Garth

Omega2K
02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
I think that Turbine should leave the Favor Rewards intact. Lots of us earned the right to make 32-point builds. I am actually considering earning another 1750+ Favor on a second server so I can make a Monk, a Tempest, a Half-Orc, etc. as a 32-point build and transfer it to my main server.

Also, my son plays DDO. He has yet to earn 1750+ Favor after 2+ years but it is still something that he strives to attain... It will be all that more rewarding to know that he earned it instead of getting it for free. How many things are left in the game to work for? Have you ever thought that maybe if everything was given to you right out of the gate, you would have nothing to play DDO for? I had a good friend that used to play DDO come back for a short while... I gave him a Vorpal and about 6 other nice Bastards Swords... He got bored and left again... Perhaps he may have played longer if he had to earn these things himself...

Oh, and as Favor Rewards go: it is about time those Dwarves in House Kundarak let us earn two more Bank Bags! I know they're programmed into the game because I occasionally see them as I open my Characters' bank accounts!

JakLee7
02-17-2009, 12:45 AM
While I don't feel that 32pt build should be any earlier than 1750 I would like to see MORE favor rewards. That was talked about long ago but I think that we should have a few more levels of favor. Say something at 900 1400 & 2250 total
I am not sure exactly what, but I think that some things might be helpful
400 - drow
900 - 10% reduction in prices & +1 tome (bound)
1400 - teleport clicky - 1 charge/day
1750 - 32pt build & +2 tome (bound)
2250 - account transfer box (like a bank slot only all your characters who have gotten to this favor can share 1 slot in the bank so you can transfer between your characters without spending money on mail)
3000 - 34pt build? & +3 tome (bound)

this are just quick ideas and I am sure people have thought longer and harder about this, but the idea is that I think we need some MORE favor rewards & I would like to see additional things added like this. None game breaking but a 34 pt build would really drive up peoples attempt at getting ALL quests done, at least once, lol.

FluffyCalico
02-17-2009, 12:52 AM
I don't care how many favor rewards they add as long as the reward is only for the 1 character than got the favor and not for "future" characters.

Borror0
02-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Personally, I think the favor rewards are fine the way they are.

The only change I would do is allow 28 point buy builds to be upgraded into 32 point buy builds either when you reach 1750 on one character or on that character. It doesn't really matter either way, for as long as there is a way to upgrade 28 point buy builds. Currently, a new player may feel discouraged to play multiple alts and "forced" to concentrate on an existing character for the sake of achieving 1750 favor.

It's bad for the game on at least three levels:

The player gets to focus on one character rather than try to find what he likes most.
The player is forced down a grind that could turn him off.
It's not a very welcoming message sent to new players.

For example, if one's fun is to play many alts, but he is also interested in having these 32 point buy and does not want to "waste" his time rerolling them, he is in a conflict between two desires. If Turbine allows us to upgrade 28 pointers into 32 pointers, the conflicts disappear and Turbine just increased their chance to keep the player.

Borror0
02-17-2009, 01:13 AM
3000 - 34pt build?
I don't think this is a good idea. More stat inflation would cause more trouble.

I think 32 point buy is more than enough.

I don't care how many favor rewards they add as long as the reward is only for the 1 character than got the favor and not for "future" characters.
There is nothing wrong with future characters gaining from favor rewards, for as lnog as the existing character benefits of it equally.

Thoreg
02-17-2009, 01:59 AM
The idea of giving new players 32 point characters is ridiculous. I had to work for mine, so should they do the same. That said, I do think we need more favor rewards. As to what they should be? More bank space for sure. Bigger discounts on vendor merchandise would be nice, especially for all of the uncharismatic types. The idea of a shared bank account is a nice one. Beyond that I can't think of anything else at the moment.

JakLee7
02-17-2009, 02:54 AM
I don't think this is a good idea. More stat inflation would cause more trouble.

I think 32 point buy is more than enough.

There is nothing wrong with future characters gaining from favor rewards, for as lnog as the existing character benefits of it equally.

I disagree - nothing wrong with a 28pt build - I have 2 and they both work out great - in that same vein I don't think a 34pt build would dramatically change the game beyond a 32pt build. Really with 2 more pts to spend you could increase your wisdom on a fighter by 2 or your charisma on your cleric by 2; hardly much trouble there and it would give people more incentive to push out some of those quests that get overlooked by making people really shoot to get everything on elite.... then again that is just my opinion.

honkuimushi
02-17-2009, 05:11 AM
I'm not completely opposed to lowering the requirement to 1000 Favor, but I do think that it is a good idea to keep it high enough to require some effort. As some other people pointed out, it's a good idea to have some goals to shoot for. And with the mods added and future quests planned, it's only getiing easier to reach. Already it's attainable for even casual players.

I don't really like the idea of respecing 28 point characters to 32 point characters because I'm worried that it would require a lot of devolpment work for it to work correctly. I'd rather see those resources spent in a more productive way.

What I would like to see is a way to unlock 32 point builds on all servers. One of the best features of 3.5 is the build process. And with long periods between cap raises it is the experience of trying different builds that I see cited over and over as a reason for staying. On the other hand, one of the complaints that I hear the most is a lack of character slots. With the server merge we lost a lot of potential space and we have fewer slots than the EU servers. We can open up other servers by transferring a 1750 character to another server, but I'd like to see another way be made available.

If 32 point builds are lowered to 1000 favor, 1750 would seem to be a good choice. But 2000, 2500 or 3000 would be other nice round numbers to shoot for. I think that guilds, friends and equipment provide enough incentives for server loyalty. But I think that making it a little easier to get started on another servers would be a nice perk.

Aesop
02-17-2009, 05:48 AM
I wouldn't mind a slight modification.

500 Drow
1000 Tiefling and Aasimir
1500 32 point builds +2 Tome
2250 +3 Tome
3000 +4 Tome
3750 +5 Tome

Aesop

Borror0
02-18-2009, 08:43 AM
I disagree - nothing wrong with a 28pt build - I have 2 and they both work out great
Not the problem. Statflation is the problem.

Also, allowing 34 point buy in the same manner they added 32 point buy will be a mess up, not in good move.

it would give people more incentive to push out some of those quests that get overlooked by making people really shoot to get everything on elite
If you're talking about getting all of Necropolis on Elite, I ask : how is that fun?

If you're talking about end game content, I'll say: make random loot not vendor fodder, please.

DelScorcho
02-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Maybe they should increase the amount of favor necessary to unlock 32 point builds. Previously, almost all missions needed to be completed on elite to hit 32 points. Now, it seems that even a power leveled toon will hit 1750 before cap. :D

greystone306
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
I think there should be something else attached to 400 favor points other then just drow.. especially for players who have already unlocked drow.. not sure what it could be though...I disagree with raising the 1750... sure it's easier to get to 1750 now with more content, but it still takes quite a while for Casual Players to reach..it took me almost 2 years to get to 1750 the first time..I like to see that even casual players can get to 1750 much quicker then that now.. DDO is not just about Zergers and powergamers...

Suzaku
02-19-2009, 03:09 AM
I disagree with the 1750 favor, I quit multiple times only to return later and then get burned out as I try to grind for favor. The 1750 is just exist as sort of hazing as you waist time and bind equipment to start a character you want to create. I like to make different characters but I'm punish to do so as once again more time is wasted on creating new characters. Unless the combine favor of all your character reaches 1750 I think it should be gotten rid of.

branmakmuffin
02-22-2009, 06:30 PM
I think there should be something else attached to 400 favor points other then just drow.. especially for players who have already unlocked drow.. not sure what it could be though...I disagree with raising the 1750... sure it's easier to get to 1750 now with more content, but it still takes quite a while for Casual Players to reach..it took me almost 2 years to get to 1750 the first time..I like to see that even casual players can get to 1750 much quicker then that now.. DDO is not just about Zergers and powergamers...
But 1750 is a reward aimed directly at "Zergers and powergamers." Turbine needs something to entice them to stay and re-run the same raids for the 200th time.

It took me so long to unlock Drow that I don't even factor 32-point builds into my game planning in any way whatsoever.

daniel7
08-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Personally, I think the favor rewards are fine the way they are.

The only change I would do is allow 28 point buy builds to be upgraded into 32 point buy builds either when you reach 1750 on one character or on that character. It doesn't really matter either way, for as long as there is a way to upgrade 28 point buy builds. Currently, a new player may feel discouraged to play multiple alts and "forced" to concentrate on an existing character for the sake of achieving 1750 favor.

It's bad for the game on at least three levels:

The player gets to focus on one character rather than try to find what he likes most.
The player is forced down a grind that could turn him off.
It's not a very welcoming message sent to new players.

For example, if one's fun is to play many alts, but he is also interested in having these 32 point buy and does not want to "waste" his time rerolling them, he is in a conflict between two desires. If Turbine allows us to upgrade 28 pointers into 32 pointers, the conflicts disappear and Turbine just increased their chance to keep the player.

I completely agree with you here Borroro. I wouldn't mind rolling up a toon on the new server to help new players except for the fact that that character would be stuck as a 28 point build. Maybe they will change this with the respec.