PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming

GoldyGopher
02-11-2009, 12:32 PM
To quote one of my sons new favorite shows "There are no bad ideas when you are Brainstorming"

Concepts changes I wish would come to DDO.

1) Auto server login; Similar to Lotro where after entering your password, unless you click stop logs into the last server you were logged into on that computer.
2) my.ddo.com
3) Allow me to see my entire inventory at one time. I wonder how many players have a +1 Flaming/Frost/Shocking/Whatever hidden in their inventory they forgot about it.
4) Make our UI a lot more like the UI in LOTRO. I like the fact that it is always more um locked than our current UI system. I like that when I unlock I see all the boxes and all the adjustments that I can move around.
5) Get rid of 28 point builds. (I dislike handicapping new players)
6) Allow us to upgrade our 28 point build to 32 points builds.
7) I want to see capes and other items that individualize characters. Boots, Gloves, pants.
8) Allow me to dye or color my items.
9) Revisit and normalize all XP awarded in ALL quests. Some are just way out of whack.
10) Give us some small amount of XP for turning in collectables
11) Change the favor system to make more sense with current quest structure.
12) Give us all representatives of all 12 of the Dragon marked Houses and the other major factions in Stormreach.
a. They don’t all have to have large number of quests but rather let us know they exist.
13) Make the City of Stormreach itself an open landscape. All the zones and instances accomplish very very little for the player. I understand the technological issues involved.
14) Interconnect all of the public instances so they are an open landscape. This is beyond the city. For example give us a one minute ship ride from Korthos to Stormreach or a oneminute airship ride from the Spire to the Foothold of the Restless isles. Yes I know I am adding time wasting non-gaming development, but players should be awed by the game not staring at loading screens.
15) Respect mechanism for skills and level up points to account for changes in the game. (As well as one night playing with Adult Beverages in hand. I choose to raise his CON?!?!?!? What was I drinking?)
a. I really don’t care if I have to redo a level to fix the problem but I hate the fact after 100 hours of play time that a meta-game change makes some characters worthless.
16) Rent-a-toon. Yes you given us hirelings, how about letting us play hiring to run with our friends lowbies.
a. Yes I understand it will cost 100 plat per level per session, the toon pulls no rewards out of chests and no end-rewards. It is so much better than telling a friend as soon as you finish the beginner part of Korthos Island and make level 13 I can run with you.
17) Add functionality to make range combat more useful and interesting in the game. See Penetrating Shot, Rain of Arrows, Barbed Arrows, amongst others in LotRO.
18) Ability to start characters at higher levels.
a. Yes I have a capped level 16 toon. I have 2250 in favor and willing to spend 1,600,000 Plat to start my next toon at level 8. (Figure max 1 level for every 2 levels of the character buying the token or something)
b. No gear, no favor, just 1 XP more than the level.
c. Yes you’ll still be able to level up all levels on your own or follow a path.
19) Ability to clone a character up to say level 10.
a. Again No Equipment, No Favor
b. Cost is exponential based on level. 100 Plat level 1, 51200 Plat at level 10.
20) Adjust Armor Bonus to give benefit to going around in Full Plate.
a. The best solution I saw was adjusting the Alchemical bonus based up the armor type.
i. Heavy Armor or Equivalent (Mithral Full Plate) +3 Alchemical Bonus
ii. Medium Armor +3 Alchemical Bonus
iii. Light Armor +1 Alchemical Bonus
iv. Cloth or No Armor – No Bonus Available
21) Make Shields worth something.
a. Sorry S & B is virtually dead. How about a better DR when you have a Shield Equip and even higher when blocking.
22) More variation and spellization is needed by Arcanes.
a. Yes I mean like Ice Wizard and Fire Sorcs, and so on and so forth.
i. By picking a path or going general arcanes should be able to better specialize in one type of spell or realm of spells. There is no reason that many arcanes are cookie cutter copies of one another. Yes Fire is nice at mid-levels but what if Ice is better in some quests and fire in others and acid, and necromancy… You get the idea.
23) New Spell – Summon Party.
a. Like Greater Teleport this spell targets all members of a party where ever they are and summons them to the location of the spell caster.
24) New Spell – Find the Way
a. Allows the caster to see hidden things on the Map. IE where the shrines are.
25) Allow parties to create Shrines and rest areas. (Camp sites) Maybe as a skill or ability.
a. Yes this might mean removing some shrines out of some quests, but it is presented as a brainstorming idea.
26) More quests to help new players learn their way around.
a. Yes I know we all “hate” these type of quests but they make an excellent mechanism to help guide new players around.
b. Example a House Orien delivery boy on the docks as you gets off ship from Korthos Island with a package for the harbor master. Deliver package for 100 XP.
27) Additional New Player Experience Zones.
a. A Desert NPE
b. A Winter NPE
c. A Jingle NPE
d. Players choice of Random starting or selection of zone.
e. Yes I am asking for more level 1-3 content.
28) Link the Wavecrest to the spaces below in the Collaborator. I hate seeing Zone messages in the middle of a quest.
29) Get rid of the requirement to do first two part of waterworks to get into the rest of the Stormreach. Okay not high on my list but…
30) Fix the Economy. I have two toons with almost max PLAT. I got one I have to send stuff to another toon to sell because like he has too much PLAT.
31) Bind more equipment to toons. Maybe all end-rewards should be bind on equip.
a. I didn’t say acquire I said equip.
32) Housing (See LotRO)
33) Shared storage boxes in housing.
34) Guild Housing
35) Shared storage boxes in Guild Housing
36) Improved searching and sorting of the Auction House. (See LotRO)
37) Move the Stormreach Auctioneer into separate instance accessible right behind his current location in the harbor. Actually move all the auctioneers into that one instance, add a mail box. (Again see LotRO Auction house in Bree)
38) Fix the falling through ramps that raise and lower.
39) Make yar-yar’s ship actually explode
40) Enlarge the Adventure Areas, all should be at least the size of the Vale, but I would like to see them twice the size of the vale. Yes this includes the Waterworks and the steam tunnels.
41) Add quests to all the adventure areas. Give us a real reason to run these areas.
42) A low level rainbow in the dark would be interesting.
a. Yes that means more light sources.
i. Bulls-eye lanterns for instance.
ii. Light spell
iii. Infrasion
43) Give us a quest that takes place throughout the entire public instance as a private instance.
a. Kobolds in the harbor. (12 man raid level 1 through 4) takes place in the harbor instance with hundreds of kobolds storming into the harbor fought off by a daring band of young adventures.
44) Turn the remaining encounter areas into adventure areas.
a. Yes several of them need to be enlarged.
45) Raise the Level of Searing Heights by at least one (maybe two)
46) Give us our Pirate King Raid.
47) Give us a Kobold Sewer system 12 man explorer zone under the harbor.
48) Raise the Level of “Proof is in the Poison” at least one level, maybe two.
49) Put a rare encounter of a young red dragon in the Searing heights
50) Change the flagging method for VON
51) Make Velah Fly
52) Change the flagging method for Demon Queen
53) Change the flagging method for SOS
54) Change how the crafting works on DT armor so it isn’t random . I don’t care that I would have to run a few quests more often but random blows chunks.
55) Give us a rare encounter of a young green dragon in the NEW Threnal Adventure Area.
56) More Snow
57) New cold/winter Adventure Area with a White Dragon as a rare encounter.
58) More Desert
59) More Jungle
60) More Islands
61) More CONTENT
62) I want a blue dragon.
63) Give us a Ship board fight with monsters of the deep.
64) Give us a Ship board fight with Pirates
65) Give us an Airship board fight.
66) How about some class specific solo quests to earn those feats and skills.
67) More High Level Quests
a. Would love to have 30 Level 20 quests/raids for our characters to do once you hit the high levels.
68) Less reliance on Wounding and Puncturing in upper-mid level and high level quests.
a. Sorry but W/P may be the great equalizer in the kill count but who cares.
69) One level 22 Raid that takes between 2 and 4 hours to complete by a solid experienced group.
a. Yes it is elitist but there has to be a reason for Guilds and working as Guilds.
70) A better indicater of how much damage you are doing in quest than kill count.
a. Don't ask me what it is, but damn do I hate kill stealers. Okay you watch me take the thing down 90% before you swing once, maybe twice and than mouth off how uber you are.....
71) A post that tracks peoples thoughts and ideas in the Developer discussion that is sticked and maintained.
a. You have no idea how often I wondered was this posted her or the LOTRO forum, or the ....
72) Hair cuts
73) More writings about DDO on the major web-a-zines.
a. It was promised at one point after all.
74) A couple more Cubies to clean out all the yuck in some interesting topics.
a. After the first page you have no idea how often personal attacks replace hey lets talk about this, okay you probably do. I am reminded of "Big Nose" discussion in some bad historical comedies about Rome.
75) Marketplace Bazaar for players to hawk their wares.

My forum signature to work.

Suggest by others:
1) Put a cooldown on Mnemonic Potions

Angelus_dead
02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Multiple good suggestions, although I think all of it has already been suggested before. Some aren't good, but I won't point them out.

15) Respect mechanism for skills and level up points to account for changes in the game. (As well as one night playing with Adult Beverages in hand. I choose to raise his CON?!?!?!? What was I drinking?)
This is highly important.

16) Rent-a-toon. Yes you given us hirelings, how about letting us play hiring to run with our friends lowbies.
This is possibly even more important.

a. Like Greater Teleport this spell targets all members of a party where ever they are and summons them to the location of the spell caster.
As an alternative, the Greater Teleport spell could be given a new destination choice called "Party Leader". It would not necessarily allow people to go into private instances.

62) I want a blue dragon.
Go into Gianthold Tor, and head straight after the gatekeeper. However, the existing blue dragon encounter is not well-designed.

63) Give us a Ship board fight with monsters of the deep.
64) Give us a Ship board fight with Pirates
65) Give us an Airship board fight.
During the module 7 3bc revamp, it was suggested that the existing Lars Rilfee ship-defense quest could be changed to a quest-chain, where you repeatedly protect his ship against escalating threats: first goblinoid pirates, then sauhagin, and then human/elven/warforged sky-pirates.

68) Less reliance on Wounding and Puncturing in upper-mid level and high level quests.
The devs have already announced an intention to change that.

69) One level 22 Raid that takes between 2 and 4 hours to complete by a solid experienced group.
That could be nice, as long as it's closer to 2 hours than 4, but it would require some more fundamental changes to character abilities before it would work well.

I will add one important suggestion that you didn't have in your list:
Put a cooldown on Mnemonic Potions.

GoldyGopher
02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Yes many have been mentioned before, probably why I thought of them when writing this.

As for W/P i have only heard the rumor not a posting this is what we are thinking of trying. A good "official discussion post" by the way (hint hint turbine)

Others that I thought of along the way.
A better indicater of how much damage you are doing in quest than kill count.
Don't ask me what it is, but damn do I hate kill stealers. Okay you watch me take the thing down 90% before you swing once, maybe twice and than mouth off how uber you are.....

A post that tracks peoples thoughts and ideas in the Developer discussion that is sticked and maintained.

Hair cuts

More writings about DDO on the major web-a-zines.

A couple more Cubies to clean out all the yuck in some interesting topics.

My forum signature to work.

Krago
02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
29) Get rid of the requirement to do first two part of waterworks to get into the rest of the Stormreach. Okay not high on my list but…

I believe you can bribe the guards with 20gp to let you into the marketplace. Isn't that correct?

This could be the new Grease spell, nasty form of griefing.

I would like to see expanded crafting of items, not just gear. Higher lvl pots, scrolls etc.

Would like to see more server wide events, like the Devil assault on the marketplace.

shores11
02-11-2009, 02:25 PM
5) Get rid of 28 point builds. (I dislike handicapping new players)
6) Allow us to upgrade our 28 point build to 32 points builds.

I agree with many of your points however we should never get rid of the 28 point builds as in my opinion it does not handicap anyone new or old players. In fact 3 of my capped characters are 28 point builds and I will not ever reroll them. They in no way are handicapped at all.

We should not be able to upgrade a 28 point build to 32 point builds thats the whole point of rolling a 32 point build when you get to 1750 favor.

I like the favor system in the game and to do any of these 2 points would eliminate the favor system or change it a lot.

GoldyGopher
02-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I believe you can bribe the guards with 20gp to let you into the marketplace. Isn't that correct?

Yes. However for new players who might be able to scratch a few coins together this is tough. You want to show the granduer and awe them with the game not make them worried about what will be nothing in a couple of levels.

This could be the new Grease spell, nasty form of griefing.
If the Summon Spell works similiar to how Greater Teleport Works, A Message pops on all your part members screens regardless of location asking if they want to be teleported to a public location where the caster is standing.

GoldyGopher
02-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd also like to see some sort of bazaar in DDO.

What I mean by this is a location and system to allow active players to post trades and other items for sale without using the auction house. Think of renting a table in the former marketplace tent and placing several items in the UI and than waiting for people to stroll by and see what you have. There would have to be some sort of public UI system listing what was for sale and who had it out. But it would be a lot more interesting than our current forums based marketplace.