PDA

View Full Version : Would auto-repeat be a good feature?

Thanimal
02-10-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't really want to call this a proposal, because I'm not sure it's even a good idea. Just curious to get some feedback and maybe turn it into a good idea.

Background: I've been doing a lot of experimentation with different Intimidate builds lately, and one thing I've found rather tedious is having to constantly monitor the Intimidate timer so that I can re-Intimidate at exactly the right point. Otherwise, I'm not holding aggro and not doing my core function.

So it occurred to me that it might be really nice to be able to do some "special key sequence" (e.g. Ctrl-LeftClick) to set Intimidate to auto-repeat: Fire it the instant its cooldown has ended. I *think* this might make it a lot more fun to play an Intimitank, as you could focus on combat and strategy while still holding as much aggro as possible. In particular, since Intimidate is essentially a continuous ability the way it is now implemented, it would seem more fun for it to simply act as a continuous ability. But it does have to re-roll each time in order to function as intended, so it's not really a "stance" -- thus my idea to auto-repeat its activation. Then use the same "special key sequence" to toggle off auto-repeat.

Then I thought there could be other situations where this would be useful, and even more so if you slightly generalize it to "cooldown AND the effect have ended" (e.g. casting Shield on yourself automatically when it expires).

Other examples:
- Set Fighter Haste Boost to auto-repeat for a boss fight. In a long fight, you really should be monitoring your Haste Boost cooldown with an eagle eye to reactivate it ASAP. Especially for a Kensai (with the extra boosts), you should be boosted fully 2/3 of the time when the chips are down. But, at least for me, monitoring the cooldown timer is not very fun. I'd far prefer to set it to auto-repeat, even if I occasionally lost one by forgetting to turn off auto-repeat.
- Set Improved Uncanny Dodge to auto-repeat for a boss fight. In theory, this can be run continuously, but currently that means you have to monitor it all the time or risk suddenly dropping a rather huge 6 points of AC. Auto-repeat seems more fun.
- Set Magic Missile or Scorching Ray to auto-repeat for, e.g., The Guardian. Of course, I'm not sure exactly what the desired behavior is if you try to set BOTH to auto-repeat. I guess whichever one you turned on first fires whenever both become available simultaneously.

Would anyone else want this? Can you think of a more elegant solution? Does anyone worry it takes some skill out of the game and therefore ends up *less* fun?

Constructive comments greatly appreciated!

transtemporal
02-10-2009, 04:12 PM
This would be a nice idea for toons with lots of defensive clickies, but I'd also want to be able to turn it off so I could trigger it manually. It would suck to miss an orthon because intimidate was on cooldown.

negative
02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I'd be against a change like this. To me, the core of this game is twitch based play, and this takes away from it.

Mindspat
02-10-2009, 05:00 PM
If you have a g15 keyboard you could easily program a macro to have it activate every 1 second. You would deffintely need to play around with the timing. Take into consideration lag and the delay till the the next activation.

Thanimal
02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
If you have a g15 keyboard you could easily program a macro to have it activate every 1 second. You would deffintely need to play around with the timing. Take into consideration lag and the delay till the the next activation.

heh. I have a laptop keyboard...

But anyhow that's a cool suggestion for the real gamers out there.

Arnya
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
heh. I have a laptop keyboard...

But anyhow that's a cool suggestion for the real gamers out there.

LOL The 'real' gamers are the ones against macro combat sequences, ones that can hit all the clickies etc without needing to simplify combat (think WOW...yawn)

/not signed

Stormanne
02-10-2009, 05:36 PM
I have a g15 keyboard, and the only macros I use are for my inventory, character sheet, and guild pages. The layout of the game to me is too comfortable to really need macros for combat...

dageth
02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
So it occurred to me that it might be really nice to be able to do some "special key sequence" (e.g. Ctrl-LeftClick) to set Intimidate to auto-repeat: Fire it the instant its cooldown has ended.

City of Heroes has this feature, though it limits it to only one power (or clicky) at a time. There, I find it to be quite a useful feature as the number of non-attack clicky powers can be quite high on a character.

In DDO, I could see this being useful for something like Combat Expertise - allowing a Paladin (for example) to cast a spell and then not have to worry about turning it back on while in the middle of combat.

I'm not sure I would want it implemented for attack powers. The times when you are most likely to need it (i.e. boss fights to up DPS by not having to rely on twitch reflexes) often seem to degenerate to static situations: i.e. big bad guy beating on the aggro-locked tank. Adding in auto-fire attacks would make boss fights less twitchy, easier and simpler to do - and therefore make it potentially more boring.

I would say that so long as the clicky is 'native' to the character (i.e. feats or spells from a spell list - not items) and they are 'self-only' in nature, that this would be a good quality of life enhancement at some point down the road.