PDA

View Full Version : Fighter feats

Griphon
01-24-2009, 10:26 AM
M'kay.

Fighters... They're on the low end of the AC and the DPS sticks. They've received the least love over the time of DDO...

Why are fighters hurting so much compared to the other classes?

The fighter class in PnP was able to be 'tweaked' this way and that by the player's selection of feats. Feats!!! Something that multiplied like weeds in PnP, but very few new ones have ever been introduced into DDO since the game has started.. Unlike Enhancements, or spells.. The list of introduced Feats is incredibly short.

To boost fighter up to the levels of DPS or AC, they need feats.. Be they feats from DnD or derived/altered feats from Turbine.

So what kind of feats would you like to see added to the game to help out Fighters gap the difference they're suffering now?

Here's a few things that I think could be helpful. Most of mine I'd like to see be considered as 'Fighter Only' feats like weapon specialization.

Improved Crit Multiplier - Requires Improved Critical, Improved weapon specialization. It would increase the Crit Multiplier by 1 on the selected weapon or weapon class. Fighter Only Feat, available as a Fighter Bonus feat.

Dirty Fighting - Adds an additional 1d4 damage to all melee attacks. Fighter Only Feat, available as a Fighter Bonus feat. No level requirement.

Devastating Critical - Inspired by NwN's feat of same or similiar name. An additional 4d6 damage upon a critical hit. Fighter only, available as a bonus feat... High level of 17-20 required.

A feat chain that lets you use the Tactical Feats on Bosses again. Trip, and Stunning blow being useless against the Purple and Red named bosses was a strong blow to the fighter class... A feat line to by pass this rule would a nice addition.. Fighter Only again.... NOT available as a bonus feat... Available 12+

Any of the feats proposed by Aesop (I believe) in the various posts about improving range, improving Sword and Board AC. (some good ideas there.)

So what kind of input can you guys come up with? (Including to criticism of the ones I proposed, but don't limit to that.)

baddax
01-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Not so much as feats i would like to see fighter enhancements to flesh out the fighter class. Swashbucker, Dualist etc.... Fighters in PnP differed in many ways and was one of the most varried classes. Also there we specific attacks available to fighters like Parry witch if successful would block your opponents next attack, Disarm (obvious) but maybe could be implemented to put specific weapon back into player inventory and must be re equiped to use again? Fient was a used to reduce your opponents AC for a short period of time.

baddax
01-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I think any move to make DDo less DPS oriented, and more tactical oriented is a step in the right direction.

Griphon
01-24-2009, 12:53 PM
PrEs are coming... There were selected to represent fighters.
Stalwart Defender - Probably a high AC class
Kensia - Supposed to be the master of one weapon
Purple Dragon Knight - Really have no clue about

I don't remember a parry, honestly. Sorry.. The Feint you mentioned is in game, but is actually named 'Sunder'. Feint, in game, is supposed to open up a character to a sneak attack.

Disarm probably wouldn't be useful in DDO aside form PvP battles.. I don't know if monsters are coded up in such a way to enable them to have their weapons removed.

Whats really needed are more feats... Feats useful in endgame. While I used to be a big fan of stunning blow, I find it less useful at endgame even having maxed out it's DC. (exact number not available, 30 something?) It rarely works.. If it does work and it's on a creature capable of teleporting.. Forget it.. They bounce away still! (At will abilities shouldn't work when stunned.)

So the only thing I can think of is to add Feats that add to the DPS.

Angelus_dead
01-24-2009, 01:20 PM
More feats to add?

The D&D books have these (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=138937).
Tome of Battle feats are splashy and useful (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=170409).
And existing feats could be fixed to be worthwhile (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=167035).

Griphon
01-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes and no.

With the Tome of Battle feats you listed I would hope they remove any 'favored' weapons for the style.. Because looking at the examples they don't always make the most sense...

Shadow blade with daggers and short sword, sure..

Ironheart with longsword, bastard sword, or dwarven axe? Not so much! 3 totally different weapons.

Tigerclaw with handaxe, greataxe, kukri, kama, or unarmed strike becoming vorpal attacks? Again.. Not so much... Totally different weapon styles and weilding them is so vastly different.. Not to mention.. Vorpal.... hand attacks?

Plus to give fighters an advantage they truely need a subset of feats only available to them. (IMO)

Byzantian
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Hopefully the Purple Dragon Knight is usefull, the other 2 suggested are abit of a joke compared to every other class in the game.

The fighter class will become extinct come mod 9.....

:mad:

maddmatt70
03-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I would love more feats. Please more more more feats...