PDA

View Full Version : Random Traps

Tharris
01-15-2009, 03:39 PM
I am having heaps of FUN on my third come back to the game. I have rolled a new toon, and loving going through the quests (albiet at times when I am a lower level than when I levelled other toons), and its a CHALLENGE.

I named the title random traps cos I would like to know how hard would it be to code all the dungeons so the traps and maybe even the mobs are random.

Rares in explorer areas spawn randomly, can't traps be given the same treatment? Is there a technical reason this is not possible??? Could the mobs be changed so your not always 100 % sure what immunities to have running??? Of course having mummies spawn in an outdoor area with no tombs nearby would be wrong, and not in keeping with flavour, but I hope you get what I mean here.

With my stupid memory, even after not playing a quest in 8 months, and even then only having run it a couple of times, I can remember where most traps are (I did a degree without taking a page of notes, and remember whole movie scripts). And even if I don't know exactly where it is, there will often be a helpful player bouncing up and down by the wall where the trap box is.

I always try and run new quests when MODS come out with people who have not tested on Risia, or run it before I could log in owing to work and RL etc. It is the time I enjoy the game the most.

With an element of random danger in older quests, would not all the content have a new feel all over again????

If you don't agree with my thoughts, thats your perogative, and am sure there are arguments that can be made both ways. But my main question, now I get to it, is about the programming/technical issues around this. Is it too hard and/or waste of resource???

Draccus
01-15-2009, 03:42 PM
I named the title random traps cos I would like to know how hard would it be to code all the dungeons so the traps and maybe even the mobs are random.

I know the traps in Monastery of the Scorpion, one of the Mod 8 quests are randomly placed and yes, I love them. That is the only quest I regularly run where people stay behind me and stop when I start searching. Running it on elite is WONDERFUL because people are hinging on my rogue's every movement. It's the first time in 11 years of playing a rogue in MMO's that I've seen this. I'm not a trapmonkey but I still like being needed to safely move my party through an area in addition to providing yummy DPS.

Impaqt
01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Many quests do indeed contain your version of Random Traps. Starting in the Necropolis, In Gianthold, in the Revers Refuge Quests, it is "Random" whether or not a trap will be there or not.

Tharris
01-15-2009, 05:42 PM
I have yet to run much of Mod 8 stuff, but as random traps do come in more and more, seems things are on track, and maybe they can look at re-doing the older dungeons this way.

Thanks again, and THANKS to the Devs, as always.

Irongutz2000
01-15-2009, 05:46 PM
There r some cry for help, hiding in plain sight etc. So there r some places :D

caution
01-15-2009, 06:05 PM
I think this would be cool as it will make spot useful again! :)

All of my rogues don't use spot because frankly, I know where all the traps are to begin with. Random traps could at least give me the element of surprise I miss since my first run.

Another novel idea would be to actually make spotting a trap give you a +/- 10 bonus/penalty to your saves against traps. This is a separate point, but except for elite, I find a lot of parties don't even bother disabling traps because people can just run through them rather than wait on a rogue.

Maybe un-detected traps should be a lot more deadly than triggered/spotted/detected ones to give at least some more realism to the whole trap thing.

Doing that plus randoms would definitely add a lot of fun and not break the current evasion zerg-freaks fun too much.

Tharris
01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I like the idea of bonus extra for spotting the traps as noted.

Yeah , it is much more fun when the element of surprise is included. Pity the mobs can't also have this random element etc.