PDA

View Full Version : DDOcast Episode 100!

Mockduck
01-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi everyone - Episode 100 of DDOcast is now ready to go! Here's a LINK (http://www.cyberears.com/cybrss/4939.mp3) to the episode - just left-click to play, right-click and 'save as' to download as an mp3.

This is our 100th episode spectacular! Lessah and Clankenbeard start things off with an awesome produced piece about the history of the show - it's another "Masterwork Theatre!"

Then, most of the DDOcast crew gets together with Tolero to chat about all sorts of stuff, and things continue with our third section which includes some of the DDOcast crew and some of the great folks at Turbine!

Couldn't have asked for a better week. Thanks everyone for taking part, and thank you for listening!

Jerry

cdbd3rd
01-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Woot!

:)

Mockduck
01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Hey, just a heads up that the server is getting hit pretty hard, I think. So if you are having trouble downloading it (esp. off of iTunes), maybe give it an hour or so and try downloading it then. Just a lot of people trying to download it right now, I think! Sorry if you are having trouble.

Mockduck
01-10-2009, 04:29 PM
eh, I just redownloaded it fine and it's now sitting on my ipod. Seems to be working all right, just give it some time if you are having trouble.

totmacher2
01-10-2009, 04:35 PM
thanks again for doing this man, even though i don't play right now, i still listen to the podcasts for any interesting tidbits that might make me wanna come back

DaveyCrockett
01-10-2009, 04:43 PM
thanks again for doing this man, even though i don't play right now, i still listen to the podcasts for any interesting tidbits that might make me wanna come back

/fail

Thanks as always Jerry and crew!

cdbd3rd
01-10-2009, 04:49 PM
eh, I just redownloaded it fine and it's now sitting on my ipod. Seems to be working all right, just give it some time if you are having trouble.

It's taking spells. Tried just listening a couple times and would get bumped. Downloading (slowly) atm.

Mockduck
01-10-2009, 05:29 PM
It's taking spells. Tried just listening a couple times and would get bumped. Downloading (slowly) atm.

Yeah. I just sort of forced iTunes to download it. Sorry about that, but hey, it's because of heavy traffic, so that's a good thing (for me) :)!

Tolero
01-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Congratulations to DDOCast on their 100th episode from everyone at Turbine!

Lithic
01-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Congratulations to DDOCast on their 100th episode from everyone at Turbine!

Hey tolero, you arent showing up in dev tracker... again!

As for DDOcast, keep up the good work :D Its about the only thing that keeps me sane while crunching 3 backpacks worth of siberys shards.

Brianius
01-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Awsomeness!!!!!!

Kalanth
01-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks for another great episode sir.

Side note, the February time frame I told you about for that new video is looking pretty acurate. Expect to see something right around the first week of next month.

Ghirmeshk
01-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Congrats DDO Cast crew!!!!! And thank you for everything.

Mazeratti
01-11-2009, 02:03 AM
:D

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/paganhaven/Happy%20Birthday/100thbirthdaysmoke.jpg

cdbd3rd
01-11-2009, 02:16 AM
:D

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/paganhaven/Happy%20Birthday/100thbirthdaysmoke.jpg

http://home.att.net/~cdbd3rd/smile.gif

Maz, you do realize you're opening yourself up for the "Why didn't you post your pic over in the pix thread like everyone else" jokes, right?

Quanefel
01-11-2009, 02:57 AM
Hey tolero, you arent showing up in dev tracker... again!

As for DDOcast, keep up the good work :D Its about the only thing that keeps me sane while crunching 3 backpacks worth of siberys shards.

Maybe Tolero is in her "ninja" mode? O.o

And congrats too DDOcast for 100 Episodes!

Mazeratti
01-11-2009, 06:24 AM

Maz, you do realize you're opening yourself up for the "Why didn't you post your pic over in the pix thread like everyone else" jokes, right?

You sayin Im old ?!?!?

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/backup_113/smilies/angry.gif

I was saving that particular pic for the "pictures of our grand-children thread" :p

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm93/twenny85/smilie.jpg

LOL

Lundivar
01-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Downloading right now, and wanted to say Great Work to everybody involved!

Clankenbeard
01-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Great work Jerry and everyone! This episode was so much fun to listen to, which you might not expect for a 2 hour event. Terrific idea on the flip-flop "Ask the Devs" segment.

All you folks at Turbine know how much hard work Jerry puts into the show. Now you know what it costs him and you know he ain't getting anything out of it. So throw him a bone and let him do some voice work for the game (as mentioned in some previous thread). That IS his job and I bet you could get him for cheap.

p.s. I was truly honored that the first "Masterwork Theatre" got such high marks from everybody.

Adaram64
01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Congrats! I am new so haven't really had time to check out the podcasts, but if you have done 100 of them, they certainly must be pretty good indeed!

GreenGurgler
01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
OK... poke away if you will, but I must ask a stupid question as someone who has never downloaded or played one of the pod-casts:

What exactly are the DDO pod-casts? Or more precisely, what is in/on them? Audio or video as well??

I know what pod-casting is (in general) and understand the appeal but what is in a DDO podcast? secret information? Devs roleplaying? people asking questions/ getting replies? the whole pod-listening community plotting against us non-poders? anything use full? anything the general public should know about?

Anyone please inform the uninformed!!

(I hear that Mr Garrison voice in my head: "Remember class, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people..." )

Adaram64
01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
You are correct about there being no stupid questions at all!!

Think about Larry King sitting around his desk with Devs and/or other impressive folks to talk about the latest news that surround DDO. Now imagine hearing it, but not seeing it.

That's approximately the DDO Podcast based on my experience.

Hope this helps

GreenGurgler
01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Think about Larry King sitting around his desk with Devs and/or other impressive folks to talk about the latest news that surround DDO. Now imagine hearing it, but nlot seeing it.

That's approximately the DDO Podcast based on my experience.

Hope this helps

It does somewhat... other than entertainment value, is there useful information in them?
Like upcoming plans (along the lines of the extinct WDAasaurus??)

Or just entertaining fluff (I am in no way implying negativity here)?

Am I missing anything that would help me know what to expect in the near future with DDO?

swooshrp
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
It does somewhat... other than entertainment value, is there useful information in them?
Like upcoming plans (along the lines of the extinct WDAasaurus??)

Or just entertaining fluff (I am in no way implying negativity here)?

Am I missing anything that would help me know what to expect in the near future with DDO?

Some of it is fluff, some of it is not. It's more like a compilation of all information into one spot rather than spread out all over the forums.

Some of it is taking what the devs have posted and expanding upon them like maybe some of the ramifications of said development post usually in a discussion with other players, not always the devs. Jerry highlights the segments with commercials when transitioning into the next topic. The commercials are mostly for humor and fun.

IMO, the most prized bit of "new" info is released in "Ask the devs" This is typically Jerry with 4-5 devs, inlcuding Eladrin, Flimsy,Tolero, etc and Jerry asking questions he chooses from PMs sent to him. It's a nice addition of information and a little bit of how the devs are thinking. Sometimes brand new info is released.

Other segments are real players divulging information about certain aspects of the games that one can really only learn by playing...i.e. spells, enhancements, quests, etc.

I haven't listened to all podcasts, but for the most part its defianetly a good way of getting cuaght up on whats going on.

I assume Jerry is in close contact with Tolero and other devs on the latest info, regardless.

I would recommend at least listening to one.

Mockduck
01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Glad you asked this question. I actually plan to update the DDO Wiki soon with more about the show, but here's an overview.

DDOcast is an audio podcast (think Internet radio show) about DDO. I tend to talk about the news released in the past week about the game (stuff from the forums, interviews on other sites, etc).

I've also brought together a group of DDO players who add "segments" to the show. Topics include role playing, character builds, spells, PvP, "Top Ten" lists, guilds, etc. Some are funny, some are serious, they all have useful information to help you get the most out of the game.

In terms of interaction and news from the Turbine front, there's Ask the Devs. It happens about every five or six weeks (sorta kinda monthly when we can find time to get everyone together). People submit questions to me about anything DDO-related (like when do we get druids? etc) at ddocast@gmail.com. I meet with some of the dev team and record the 20-30 minute long chats. They answer your questions!

The most recent Ask the Devs was ep 98, a few weeks ago. Episode 100 features a ton of the crew and some folks from Turbine talking casually for my big show!

I also have emails, opinions, interviews with all sorts of people, etc.

There's also a web site: www.ddocast.com where I put up news, links, pictures, screenshots and tons of other stuff. It's a good place to find a ton of DDO links in one place!

There are, ahem, "commercials", but I don't actually advertise anything. They tend to be parodies, skits and general goofiness. Lessah and Clankenbeard have also done a ton of great bits for the show!

If you are just getting started, here's a few episodes to check out:

ep 100 - the most recent!
ep 99 - Year in Review
ep 98 - Ask the Devs 7 (yeah, there's been seven of them)
ep 91 - Ask the Devs 6
ep 81- Gen Con 2008!
ep 52 - Interview with Keith Baker, Eberron setting creator

You can listen to and download all of the episodes for free on www.ddocast.com, www.cyberears.com, iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and many other places as well.

Clankenbeard
01-14-2009, 09:01 PM
I know what pod-casting is (in general) and understand the appeal but what is in a DDO podcast? secret information? Devs roleplaying? people asking questions/ getting replies? the whole pod-listening community plotting against us non-poders? anything use full? anything the general public should know about?

I contribute to the podcats, though not on a regular basis. Use this information as you evaluate my response here. (BTW, you can pretty much fast forward through anything involving Clankenbeard if you are looking for insightful game advice or strategy as I tend to be in the "fluff" category.)

Jerry's response was thorough, but a bit modest. The podcast is your weekly Clif Notes for DDo. Jerry weeds through the published forums muck and sifts out the pearls of information every week. This includes the development notes by Turbine and obscure hints by the developers dropped in the deep recesses of the forum backwaters. Then he tells you what to look for in future and gives you an opinion on the subject. Better still, he frequently bounces this information and his opinion off of some of his regular panel of podcast contibutors. This brings you additional perpectives from other class players. This is where you learn that uber three-handed fighting is going to be nerfed for 19th level sorcerer/bard/orcs in Mod 12. (But Batman builds will be back!)

The other segments all tackle their specific interests, be it monks or role playing or girl gamers or spell casting or guild life or a top ten list. Jerry has no clue which way these will go when he gets the contributions sent to him weekly by the remote-operating segment hosts. He just edits it all together. So, quality of support material for each show varies widely week to week, by both length and topic. In the end, he winds up with something that works very well. Jerry actually makes his living in radio I believe, so he comes across as very professional (and positive).

I would recommend you give one a listen. If you don't like it, you have wasted an hour. If you do, it'll waste an hour every week.

Dangit! I wish I had the forum name "GreenGurlger"!