PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to see a scary dungeon

quasitech
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
I like this game a lot. I really feel like I'm playing d&d, so good job guys. I do feel like one atmospheric aspect of the game is lacking.

Scariness! Suspense! I'd like to see a dungeon that is completely dark. Add torches to the game, the spell light, and whatever else we could use to dimly light our way. We couldn't see 10 feet in front of us, and it would give the meaning "dungeon crawl", even more detail.

Lithic
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Your wish has been granted. Check out the adventure "Rainbow in the Dark"

Alternatively, if you can find yourself a copy of Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines and do the hotel quest. Creepiest experience in a video game ever.

MrCow
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
The quest Rainbow in the Dark is probably what you would like then. :)

Ministry
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Ya, the closest now is Rainbow in the dark, but no torches along the wall, just one to carry.

I think if you adjust your gamma and brightness a few of the quests like the Deleras chain are similar to what you are looking for.

But, I know.. not exactly.

I agree.

When I think of D&D, I think of dimly lit dungeons and the odd torch on the wall, or we have to carry them on us and thus can only see so far ahead.

Some might see that as an impediment to a zerg, but it would be cool to see a few more quests like that.

wamjratl1
I like this game a lot. I really feel like I'm playing d&d, so good job guys. I do feel like one atmospheric aspect of the game is lacking.

Scariness! Suspense! I'd like to see a dungeon that is completely dark. Add torches to the game, the spell light, and whatever else we could use to dimly light our way. We couldn't see 10 feet in front of us, and it would give the meaning "dungeon crawl", even more detail.

Adjust your gamma settings. Turn off ur monitor. All dungeons can be as you describe!!!

Original
Rainbow for sure... but Necropolis and the Orchard have some quests with that feel.

EddieB_TBC
01-05-2009, 12:31 PM
The quest Rainbow in the Dark is probably what you would like then. :)
Agreed.
Just be careful of the

wamjratl1
01-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Agreed.
Just be careful of the

Submit Button?

Churchwarden
01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I remember my first run through caverns of korromar was pretty creepy, but then I really get into the story/plot lines and prefer to crawl a dungeon and explore every inch if possible

Mindspat
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM

Just a Rainbow in the Dark...!!

I'm going to queue the song on my playlist at work. :D

negative
01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Alternatively, if you can find yourself a copy of Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines and do the hotel quest. Creepiest experience in a video game ever.

/signed

moorewr
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Rainbow for sure... but Necropolis and the Orchard have some quests with that feel.

Don't forget the Catacombs! "Perhaps it wasn't the spiders that had killed these men!" oo! Scary!

Samadhi
01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
SCARY!!

http://www.topsocialite.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/barbara-streisand-nomakeup.jpg

GlassCannon
01-05-2009, 08:22 PM
SCARY!!

http://www.topsocialite.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/barbara-streisand-nomakeup.jpg

Here in Oklahoma, that's "Average."

CrimsonEagle
01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Don't forget the Catacombs! "Perhaps it wasn't the spiders that had killed these men!" oo! Scary!

First time in the Catacombs, I was alone.

Every freaking time the sarcophigi exploded I would jump out of my skin. It got to the point that I KNEW something was going to explode yet I would still jump. Was both fun and funny as all hell.

I still have some quest that when I havent run them for awhile I forget little things and get a little startled. Then say to myself, "Duh....you knew that!!!".

Good times.

Talon_Moonshadow
01-05-2009, 09:09 PM
If by some miracle you did delera's for the first time with a slow group of all firstimers.....it might be considered scary. the graphics are great. exploding coffins...being trapped in a room when the gate crashes down..etc.

But....kinda loses some suspense when zerged though at lightning speed (for the one hundredth time)

psssttt...do the house J quest on the right near the entrance (god my memory is bad tonight).......alone......and don't forget to take your first right. :)

Fakko
01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I know what you're talking about when it comes to craving scary experiences. I have not found anything in DDO that qualifies, but then I have not run a lot of the content.

A few of my experiences from past gaming that gave me the type of thrill you seem to be looking for:

1. Playing the original EQ back in '99 (when it was still fun) with my gnome necromancer deep in the bowels of Split Paw all alone. I snuck in under invisibility and sat in the far back outside a room waiting for a rare named captain to spawn. Nothing but me, my skeleton pet and the dark, cold dripping atmosphere of Split Paw, encrusted with hostile mobs.

2. Half-Life first run through. Crawling through a pipe toward 'something' when one of the face huggers jumps out of the dark at me. I nearly fell over backwards out of my chair. It still makes me laugh when I think about it.

3. Alone in the Dark. I've always loved Lovecraft and imo its still the best Lovecraftian game made.

4. One my favorite gaming experiences ever: The 7th Guest. The ultimate gaming experience on my 16 bit audio, 4x CD and massive 12 MB of system RAM super computer. If you're unfamiliar with it it was one of the first CD based games and was entirely puzzle based and static except for animated cut-scenes.

I remember playing that alone at night with the monitor being the only light on in the house. Great atmosphere.

I hope you find what you're looking for. I am a kindred spirit when comes to craving a good quality dark atmosphered gaming experience.

Madhatternynja2007
01-05-2009, 09:24 PM
You really forgot the best one in your list there. Phantsmagora. That game is scary as all hell. Play any of the AVP series games as a marine, it is some scarry **** to walk into a room where you see all these lights blipping around you then they all disappear. Next thing you know you got 6 aliens trying to devour your body. But I agree this game is missing the darkness of D&D at times. Graphically the game is beautiful, however, needs a hint more darkness to it.

Uska
01-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Your wish has been granted. Check out the adventure "Rainbow in the Dark"

Didnt find it that creepy myself but the old aliens fps game sure got me in a couple places first time I played it

Dracolich
01-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I like rainbow because of the darkness...but they need to put in racial vision traits. The light spell needs added, we have darkness, or is that obscurring mist that is the big black ball?

I like dungeon crawls but I dont dig creepy and jumpin out scary things. Although they are only creepy and jumpy the first few times you do them, then the ante needs upped. Good ideas though anything to move it closer to the feel of a D&D game.

Uska
01-06-2009, 10:40 AM

northen OK must be ugliler then southern

Rekker
01-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Don't forget about one of the House D sewer quests. The first half the halls are dark only lit by torches along the way. Why there aren't more quests like that is beyond me ?!?!

DoctorWhofan
01-06-2009, 11:46 AM
How about Rainbow int Dark + very random spawning (even type) + Long a twisty path with random drops in the floor+ traps in random places = NEAT!

ahpook
01-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Quite a few of the undead quests can be scary if you go in under powered and move slow. Nothing can be scary when zerging.

For other PC games my favorite for "jump" moments was Clive Barker's Undying. A little heard of FPS that was quite enjoyable at the time (1997 or so).

Thrudh
01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Half-life 2

"We don't go to Ravenholm"

I found that whole area very creepy... I love fighting enemy soliders... undead in the dark?? Not so much....

For DDO... Rainbow in the Dark is a 14th level quest... Very cool... Pitch black, except for a single torch... Some great traps, and great gotcha moments

Moragon
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Where's a grue when you need one?

Rog
01-06-2009, 01:57 PM

dude THATS WRONG

Zenako
01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
One quest that will still put a bit of suspense into play is Whsiperdoom. Once you clear the outer areas and start looking for her, you never know when or where you will finally meet the Mother of all Spiders!!! Everytime running that quest it still gives a shock to the system to suddenly see her devasting might hurtling down the tunnel towards your group, and hoping you are all ready to engage her and all her new allies that spawn. Almost never fails to be a challenging encounter (for level appropriate toons and it might even give some capped twinks a challenge as well..)

Wurmwood
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
When I played Everquest 2, there was a Halloween event quest that had a zombie literally jump up to your screen and scare you. If they had something like that in a quest, that would be awesome, like a wraith coming right up to the screen, and sort of blocking your view, and going AHHHHHHHHH! or something while your screen shakes and blood comes out of your speakers.... ok, maybe not the blood.

sephiroth1084
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I agree that there should definitely be more quests that implement the Rainbow mechanics for light and dark. I'd really like the Light spell to be added, or at least torches...though how they would work could be an issue: "Okay, who in the party doesn't need their off-hand weapon/shield? Anybody?"

Scariest gaming experiences:

Silent Hill -- You're a regular schmo who doesn't shoot very well wandering around in dense fog with a finicky radio playing static, which changes pitch to sort of alert you to some horrible monster that is about to swoop out of the fog for you. Then night falls. I played it as a rental, and never got past wandering around in the school with my flashlight off so as not to alert the little baby/pygmy/demon things with scalpels to my presence, and with the radio off, because the innocuous ghost-babies drove the radio nuts. SCARY AS HELL!

The remake of the first Resident Evil game for the Gamecube -- The game has creepy music and creepier silences, broken suddenly by a groan, or worse yet, the sound of footsteps fast approaching and a terrible shriek, blind corners, flickering lights, dim hallways, and you even kick up dust while you walk across creaky floorboards. Best moment was walking down a hallway, where the camera angel shows you the length of the hall and the wall to your right, but not the wall to your left. Moonlight coming in through windows on that unseen wall forms patches on the floor and your right...and shadows of the trees and such outside. There is some banging sound suddenly, and I slowed up, trying to figure out what it was, scared of what might be coming, and then a flash of lightning, and I suddenly realize what the sound is as I see the form of a man shadowed upon the wall beside me. Then the suspense of wondering when, exactly, that zombie was going to break through the window...and the terrifying shock an hour or two later when I come back through this hallway, having forgotten about the zombie, who now bursts in upon me...with some friends.

Kromize
01-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Ya know...I always wondered why the sewers all over stormreach were so brightly lit... And especially the ones in house D, there were supposed to be real dark..weren't very dark...

Fallout
01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Can do simple stuff.

Fallout 3, the Dunwich building for example. For those who read HP Lovecraft's work, that was a pretty cool homage.

Thrudh
01-06-2009, 06:39 PM
One quest that will still put a bit of suspense into play is Whsiperdoom. Once you clear the outer areas and start looking for her, you never know when or where you will finally meet the Mother of all Spiders!!! Everytime running that quest it still gives a shock to the system to suddenly see her devasting might hurtling down the tunnel towards your group, and hoping you are all ready to engage her and all her new allies that spawn. Almost never fails to be a challenging encounter (for level appropriate toons and it might even give some capped twinks a challenge as well..)

Quoted for Truth... A great quest for that very reason

Irongutz2000
01-06-2009, 06:49 PM
I agree that there should definitely be more quests that implement the Rainbow mechanics for light and dark. I'd really like the Light spell to be added, or at least torches...though how they would work could be an issue: "Okay, who in the party doesn't need their off-hand weapon/shield? Anybody?"

Scariest gaming experiences:

Silent Hill -- You're a regular schmo who doesn't shoot very well wandering around in dense fog with a finicky radio playing static, which changes pitch to sort of alert you to some horrible monster that is about to swoop out of the fog for you. Then night falls. I played it as a rental, and never got past wandering around in the school with my flashlight off so as not to alert the little baby/pygmy/demon things with scalpels to my presence, and with the radio off, because the innocuous ghost-babies drove the radio nuts. SCARY AS HELL!

The remake of the first Resident Evil game for the Gamecube -- The game has creepy music and creepier silences, broken suddenly by a groan, or worse yet, the sound of footsteps fast approaching and a terrible shriek, blind corners, flickering lights, dim hallways, and you even kick up dust while you walk across creaky floorboards. Best moment was walking down a hallway, where the camera angel shows you the length of the hall and the wall to your right, but not the wall to your left. Moonlight coming in through windows on that unseen wall forms patches on the floor and your right...and shadows of the trees and such outside. There is some banging sound suddenly, and I slowed up, trying to figure out what it was, scared of what might be coming, and then a flash of lightning, and I suddenly realize what the sound is as I see the form of a man shadowed upon the wall beside me. Then the suspense of wondering when, exactly, that zombie was going to break through the window...and the terrifying shock an hour or two later when I come back through this hallway, having forgotten about the zombie, who now bursts in upon me...with some friends.
Resident evil 4 was the scariest LOL. It was like a smal town in the midwestern europe was taken over by a virus an for the most part all the towns ppl looked normal. An that was were it got weird becuase u nvr knew who was gonna jump out at u. Kept u onn the edge of ur seat the whole time, great game!

Thorboar
01-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Like a Tomb of Horrors....that was a scary quest back in the day....with all those traps.....

BRINKS
01-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I know what you're talking about when it comes to craving scary experiences. I have not found anything in DDO that qualifies, but then I have not run a lot of the content.

2. Half-Life first run through. Crawling through a pipe toward 'something' when one of the face huggers jumps out of the dark at me. I nearly fell over backwards out of my chair. It still makes me laugh when I think about it.

LOL! That brought back the memory of almost knocking my chair over on several occasions :)

Another great oldy was DOOM! Dark atmosphere, scary music and evil creatures popping out when you least expected. Great sound effects. Playing in the dark was the best. My 4 year old son at the time enjoyed watching me play games...until I got that game. He kept saying "turn on the light!" and when I let him put on the headphones he ran out of the room :)

quasitech
01-06-2009, 10:18 PM
wow, i cant wait to check that quest out! guess i just need to keep playin :)

also adjusting my gamma settings is a good idea, thanks guys!

Fakko
01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure if I played Phantasmagoria. I think I might be confusing it with Puzzle of Flesh.

I remember Clive Barker's Undying. I never played it, but I recall it getting favorable reviews for atmosphere.

I have Silent Hill 2 sitting on my desk unopened. One of these days I'll install it. I've read that its pretty creepy. If so, I can't wait....

Good call on the Ravenholm part of HL2. That was a very creepy part that had good mechanics and excellent atmosphere.

I forgot F.E.A.R. which I haven't completed yet. It has some moments that are really quite creepy. That little girl giggling in the dark and running past in silhouette. You have to go down the hall where you just saw her and your flashlight is running out of juice.

I think I need a hardware upgrade for Fallout 3, so that might have to wait a little while.

Sorry for the additional derailing. I couldn't help myself.

baddax
01-07-2009, 12:13 AM
I realy enjoy the suspense of games like Splintercell. Go in quiet. Take out enemay targets, Without being spotted. Aquire objectives (not necessarily killing) and get to extraction or rendevous point in time to get out. I realize some of these things are in ddo but i would like to see more quests designed around other things than HSK.

LazarusPossum
01-07-2009, 12:53 AM

Yes, yes, YES! The best way to play it is alone at home with the lights out...

I played parts 2-4 and I'm telling you, the atmosphere in that game made me afraid to even get up and go to the fridge! Not just scary, but twisted too. I'll never look at fluffy bunnies, mannequins, or ballerinas the same way again!

Side note: those little things were the children who died in the orphanage fire, I think. Creepy.

esoitl
01-07-2009, 01:40 AM
Has anyone played the newer FPS Left4Dead?
It's made by the same company as Half-Life(Valve/Steam) and is a 4 person co-op shooter. I just ran through one of the lines last night with some mates of mine.... INTENSE!!

It's quite open and best of all, it's random. It's sort of a Resident Evil meets Night of the Living Dead game. It's wild seeing zombies bolting at you full out and being swarmed by 20-30 at a time. As it's so open they come at you from all sides. The one run we did we had to wait for an evac team so we bunkered down in a house and tried to wait it out. The broke through every window, wall, door, and ceiling around us(all random and not a set pattern either) so you're always on guard.

Intensely hard but a freaky experience that I'd suggest if you like FPS's and want some horror.

sephiroth1084
01-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Has anyone played the newer FPS Left4Dead?
It's made by the same company as Half-Life(Valve/Steam) and is a 4 person co-op shooter. I just ran through one of the lines last night with some mates of mine.... INTENSE!!

It's quite open and best of all, it's random. It's sort of a Resident Evil meets Night of the Living Dead game. It's wild seeing zombies bolting at you full out and being swarmed by 20-30 at a time. As it's so open they come at you from all sides. The one run we did we had to wait for an evac team so we bunkered down in a house and tried to wait it out. The broke through every window, wall, door, and ceiling around us(all random and not a set pattern either) so you're always on guard.

Intensely hard but a freaky experience that I'd suggest if you like FPS's and want some horror.

I have played 2 of the missions with a friend, and find the game to be great fun, but not particularly scary. There are a few parts that are suspenseful--when you hear a little girl crying, lights out and start sweatin'--but it's more just an intense survival experience. There are hardly any instances of things jumping out at you, and when they do, you're usually already embroiled in a heated combat. There is some atmosphere to the game, but just enough to make it feel kind of genuine, yet not enough to give (me) the creeps.

wow, i cant wait to check that quest out! guess i just need to keep playin :)
You should definitely enjoy it, Just make sure that you run it with some people who will not zerg and will not spoil it for you.

also adjusting my gamma settings is a good idea, thanks guys!
You also may be the only person (aside from the poster who suggested this) to tune your gamma setting in order to make a quest more difficult to see in! Before this last mod, many people were altering their settings in that quest so that they didn't have to bother with the light. Pshh...talk about not knowing how to have fun!

I suggest you run the quest at least twice: one time having to follow the person with the light, and one time as the torch-bearer.

Who wouldn't love more quests like this sprinkled throughout DDO?

Bekki
01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Agreed.
Just be careful of the

The giant Vicious..... AAAArrrrrrrrrrggggggg............

:D

My suggestions...

Rainbow in the Dark
Necropolis
Orchard
Delareas and the House J, Graveyard Quests
And catecombs are cool

and close to what you are looking for.

Not sure about the Sub T.

Haven't really been down there...