PDA

View Full Version : Monk build help

Ravenscroft
12-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Ok, I am just coming back to the game after being gone 2 yrs...I couldnt find my original keys so I had to start all over from scratch so no 32 point build yet. :(

I am trying a monk and here is what I got so far:

S 16
D 14
C 14
I 8
W 14
CH 8

Human
Path of Shadow

I dont like the 8 INT but cant be helped with a 30 pt buy (that I have never liked this system). Anyway, I have tried doing some research on the forums, but I didnt see any sticky or anything for a class guide for Monks....is there an ongoing link that I missed for good Human Monk builds. I want to play Unarmed as much as possible.

So at level 1 I took default on everything, but I need help on what feats and enhancements I need to take for doing the best damage, but also for survivability. Plan on trying to go full Monk unless you can give me reasons or info why I shouldnt.

I need as much advice as possible. Since I dont have access to any of my characters or anything I had before, everything is starting from scratch.

Thanks in advance!

~DraconisOrion
12-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Anyone have any links to the Monk builds (right now especially for Humans) that are using unarmed/handwraps, or all you all just telling me it is best to go twf with Kamas :(

Thanks!

Garth_of_Sarlona
12-19-2008, 11:55 AM
most people agree that the path of shadow is inferior to the path of light, for the ability to self heal and also buff the party.

in addition, so long as you can reach the requirement for greater twf - most people agree that going gtwf with wraps is currently the best way of getting dps since you do not sacrifice any dmg or hit with wraps when twf now. You will need need to go kamas when fighting red named with DR though.

If you take power attack then consider reducing your STR and raising dex and wis to get higher AC...

Garth

QuantumFX
12-19-2008, 05:49 PM
OK, it looks like you're limited to 28pt builds. While 28pt builds aren’t “bad” 32pt builds help cover up one of the major problems with the monk class (Multiple Attribute Deficency). So in the meantime I think focusing more on DEX and WIS will be a better choice for you. (DraconisOrion: If you have access to 32pt builds I would suggest Illuminati's Fuji build.)

What I'm going to post will be considered a “gimped” build by some of the forumites here. However, it requires no tomes, and should allow you to play around with a lot of the options available to monks. I omitted High INT/Combat Expertise as it's rather annoying to keep active with a pure monk.

The basic tactics on this guy are to run around in Storm/Ocean stances utilizing Stunning Fist on every “living” bad guy you see. Punching stuff is your bread and butter, kamas are there to compensate for any yellow numbers you see. For undead quests have a handy pair Holy handwraps (switch to kamas for zombies) and spam Fists of Light and the FoL finisher. For unstunnable/multiple component DR foes whip out the transmutating kamas. Also, don't forget that you can bring the big, bad red named down to everyone else's level by hitting Elemental Finishers, Eagle Claw, Unbalancing Strike, Sunder, Trip, etc.

STR: (20) 14 +6 Item
DEX: (26) 15 +6 Item, +2 Level-ups, +3 Tier 3 Storm stance
CON: (20) 15 +6 Item, +1 Enh., -2 Storm Stance
INT: (08) 08
WIS: (26) 14 +6 Item, +4 Enh., +2 Level-ups
CHA: (08) 08

Skills:
Spend max skill points in: Concentration, Use Magic Device
Spend the rest in Balance, Jump, Spot, Tumble, Hide/Move Silently (if you like being a solo ninja)

Feats:
Level 1: Two Weapon Fighting
Monk 1: Toughness
Human 1: Stunning Fist
Monk 2: Weapon Finesse
Level 3: Stunning Blow (Your DC will be a tad low but hopefully we'll see Weighted handwraps get fixed.)
Monk 3: Path of Harmonious Balance
Level 6: Anything you want
Monk 6: Power Attack
Level 9: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Level 12: Improved Crit: Slashing (Mainly for high level boss fights)
Level 15: Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Enhancements:
Human Versatility IV
Human Improved Recovery I
Human Adaptibility I: CON
Human Adaptibility II: WIS
Racial Toughness III
Way of the Elegant Crane III
Initiate of the Sun (Tier II sun)
Disciple of Pebbles (Tier I earth)
Master of Thunder (Tier III Storm)
Initiate of Ocean (Tier II Ocean Stance)
Eagle Claw
Fists of Light
Unbalancing Strike
Monk's Wisdom III
Monk Improved Recovery I (YES it stacks with Human Imp. Recovery)

~DraconisOrion
12-19-2008, 06:41 PM
QuantumFX -

Thanks for the info this will help. It appears I have gotten my orginal account back, so I am hoping I can do a 32pt build (I was able to do Drow before I left the game over a year ago). But I like this also as a "just in case".

I still dont understand all of the "stances" (Fire/Water/Earth/Air) yet.....so I am hoping someone can further fill me in there.

Thanks again!!:D:D:D

nbhs275
12-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Ok, I am just coming back to the game after being gone 2 yrs...I couldnt find my original keys so I had to start all over from scratch so no 32 point build yet. :(

I am trying a monk and here is what I got so far:

S 16
D 14
C 14
I 8
W 14
CH 8

Human
Path of Shadow

I dont like the 8 INT but cant be helped with a 30 pt buy (that I have never liked this system). Anyway, I have tried doing some research on the forums, but I didnt see any sticky or anything for a class guide for Monks....is there an ongoing link that I missed for good Human Monk builds. I want to play Unarmed as much as possible.

So at level 1 I took default on everything, but I need help on what feats and enhancements I need to take for doing the best damage, but also for survivability. Plan on trying to go full Monk unless you can give me reasons or info why I shouldnt.

I need as much advice as possible. Since I dont have access to any of my characters or anything I had before, everything is starting from scratch.

Thanks in advance!

Best DPS monk...1 monk/15 rogue...

~DraconisOrion
12-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Hmmm....I have a Drow, wasnt that the same time that you were supposed to have the 32pt builds available???? I dont seem to be able to build this guy up to 32pts....did they change the Total Favor needed for 32pt builds? I currently have 505 right now on my main character.

Garth_of_Sarlona
12-19-2008, 07:25 PM
You need to obtain 1750 favor to unlock 32pt builds.

Garth

~DraconisOrion
12-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Ah thanks....I got some way to go then. :)

QuantumFX
12-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I still dont understand all of the "stances" (Fire/Water/Earth/Air) yet.....so I am hoping someone can further fill me in there.

Each stance is an enhancement that you can purchase with action points. The stance has 2 aspects.

The first is that you go into an active stance that adds 2/3/4 to one attribute and subtracts 2 from another. (ex. Sun stance adds to STR and subtracts from WIS) Each of these active stances provides other miscelaneous benefits. (ex. Sun grants extra Ki generation when hitting an opponent, Air adds a speed boost, Ocean adds to Saving throws and Earth grants DR/-) The stances I suggested for the above build are Storm and Ocean. Storm adds to DEX and subtracts from CON. It grants additional melee speed. You can also switch to Ocean stance when you know you're going to hit something and want an increased DC on your stunning fist. (ex. Beholders.)

The second aspect is that the stances grant a smite like attack that adds elemental damage to a single punch. You can use these attacks to form finishing maneuvers. (The DDO compendium has these combos listed.) Players that lack twitch skills find these attacks annoying but a player with good finger dexterity and proper key mapping can be devestating.

If you can't roll up 32pt builds then you need to have a character that's reached 1750 total favor. It's actually way easier to reach now than it was 2 years ago. If you have access to 32pt builds then I highly recommend Illuminati's build over what I posted.

If you have character slots available: Try out different monk builds and see what you like. Right now, Unarmed + TWF feats are awesome in the DPS department. Stunning attacks open mobs up to autocrits so that makes it more fun. And currently I think monks make the best low level melees.

~DraconisOrion
12-19-2008, 09:39 PM
QuantumFX

Thanks again....you have made this much clearer. Yeah it doesnt appear that I have anyone close to 1750 favor left...I do have 3 slots available so I can play with the monks to see what I like....My twitch skills arent great, but I can get by. :)

manfredshw
12-20-2008, 02:55 AM
when you at low level, take the turtle enhancement for hp and con skill, and go light path for healing and buff ability.
When you hit lv16 with 64ap, then just reset your enhancement to crane, and go dark path.

open water stance:
use these combo to kill mobs:
1: punch them to death, or stun, then punch.
2. then you got enough ki,
A: humanoid: stun, or water dark water, mob dead. move to the next mob, finisher, then water dark water, dead, finisher, water dark, water...
B: living but no humanoid: stun, earth dark earth, move to next mob, finisher(mob can't harm you or cast spell because of the finisher), stun, earth dark earth... to death...
C: when you get VOD goggle, or bs item, then you can spam unbalanceing strike for bs damage all the time, those mobs fly(you can't unbalancing them), then you use wind dark wind to blind them.

you must find a greater construction bane and greater undead bane hw for them, or you will find a little hard to challenge them.

one word: use your tastic strike wise, especially for dark finish move, then you win.

BOSS fighting: change stance to fire: spam your elemental ki strike on them.
Remember: use fist of iron on any auto-cri mobs, this can enlarge your critical mutifier to X3, and effect elemental burst too. or earth earth earth finisher to X4, ****ing awesome.

nbhs275
12-20-2008, 03:22 PM
when you at low level, take the turtle enhancement for hp and con skill, and go light path for healing and buff ability.
When you hit lv16 with 64ap, then just reset your enhancement to crane, and go dark path.

open water stance:
use these combo to kill mobs:
1: punch them to death, or stun, then punch.
2. then you got enough ki,
A: humanoid: stun, or water dark water, mob dead. move to the next mob, finisher, then water dark water, dead, finisher, water dark, water...
B: living but no humanoid: stun, earth dark earth, move to next mob, finisher(mob can't harm you or cast spell because of the finisher), stun, earth dark earth... to death...
C: when you get VOD goggle, or bs item, then you can spam unbalanceing strike for bs damage all the time, those mobs fly(you can't unbalancing them), then you use wind dark wind to blind them.

you must find a greater construction bane and greater undead bane hw for them, or you will find a little hard to challenge them.

one word: use your tastic strike wise, especially for dark finish move, then you win.

BOSS fighting: change stance to fire: spam your elemental ki strike on them.
Remember: use fist of iron on any auto-cri mobs, this can enlarge your critical mutifier to X3, and effect elemental burst too. or earth earth earth finisher to X4, ****ing awesome.

hmm, what are the dark finishing moves?

CrimsonEagle
12-20-2008, 03:55 PM
hmm, what are the dark finishing moves?

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=147352