PDA

View Full Version : Monk Gear AC Build

arcane_nite
12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Please post gear for AC build. Im trying to reach 88 buffed, but only sitting at 54 currently at lv 13 pure half monk. Thanks to all who reply.

swooshrp
12-18-2008, 06:03 PM
I don't have a pure monk build up to that level, but my 13 ranger/2 monk/1 fighter build is at a 71 AC self buffed. Extra AC comes from bard (4), pally(5), cleric(2), so you might want to factor that into it. Also include dodge feat for 1, haste for 1, shield spell(4), size(1), combat expertise(5), barkskin(5) and although not relevant for a monk, but favored enemy boost nets up to 3 more if desired.

Gear off hand I have:
Icy Raiments +4 dodge
Shroud khopesh +4 insight
Chattering ring +3 dodge
Ac8 bracers (RR: Half)
Prot 5 item

That would be your more common/rare items needed for a top AC build.

Items to think about:
other shroud items for exceptional stat (wis, dex)
tomes to hit another bonus
centered bonus +4 for monks at 16th (i think)

But typically, with Icy and the ring, with even a AC 6 bracer (very common) and you should be fine. Till you get the icys use chaos guard bracers plus white dragon armor or even giantcrafted armor will net a 8 ac bonus.

Other than from the top of my head thats about it...I can try answer any other questions you may have if needed.

Garth_of_Sarlona
12-18-2008, 06:45 PM
(Note: I'm talking pure monk here - monk hybrid builds can get different numbers mostly fro accessibility to GS items)

DT armor with +5 resistance +6 ac +4 prot +4 insight will be better than icy raiments when combined with +2 dodge chaosguards mainly because there is no decent option for monks with +4 insight AC for greensteel

Using the chattering ring, and +4 combat expertise with a decent (i.e. not having to swap into) shield clicky and barkskin pots will boost you ac to heights unobtainable by other characters without sacrificing a lot of dps.

Good luck!

Garth

QuantumFX
12-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Lemme add something to Garth's post:

For your Tempest enhancement you could also aim for a +1 Exceptional bonus to DEX or WIS if you have an odd number in one of those stats.

For your protection +5 Item I highly recommend going for a Mineral II greensteel item that focuses on HP. It gives you +5 Protection (Which you need anyway.) +45 HP (HP are never bad.) Heavy Fortification (Meh - but will allow you to switch from the Minos to the Helm of Freewill as needed) and +6 to your concentration skill.

Garth_of_Sarlona
12-18-2008, 10:04 PM
yup having protection +5 on a mineral II accessory is definately the way to go if you want the max AC... it allows you to swap something else into your 2nd tier (tempest) dragontouched armor slot - something like +6 to a stat or even 20% healing if you're going towards a healing enhanced monk build. +6 stat allows you to free up another slot which allows you to put more other gear on.

Example end-game mostly-soloing monk: mine is only slightly off this.

Helm: mineral II +5 prot with some HP combo
Ring: tumbleweed (+6 dex, +2 to attack)
Ring: chattering (+3 ac)
Belt: titan belt (+6 str, g false life)
Armor: +5 resist, +6 con, +4 insight
Boots: Titan boots (30% striding)
Gloves: queen gloves (DR for archers)
Bracers: chaosguard (+2 ac)
Neck: melee alacrity collar (+10% speed)
Cloak: +6 wis existential stalemate with other HP combo and fear immunity
Hands: +5 holy burst of bstab +1
Goggles: Thranes goggles
Trinket: Bloodstone

Spam unbalancing strike and stunning fist (remember; your sneak attack is +8 dmg for stunned or unbalanced mobs!) and stay in power attack all the time. Lots of dps and very high AC.

You could swap melee alacrity for 20% healing (via DT 2nd tier upgrade and +6 con neck) instead depending on whether you prefer self healing or speed of killing.

Garth

Oolung
12-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Lots of dps and very high AC.

can i have this build?

Rog
12-20-2008, 09:33 PM
kk i can get a ac 81
1. icy rams bound attuned ac rit dodge +5
2. chatering ring titan dodge +3
3. dex30/wis30 or dex 28 /wis32 depending on what u got turned on +2wis/+2 dex tomes
4.bard song ac song
5.cleric recitation extended
6. ranger barksking +5 natral ac
7.*titian cookies* 6 minute shield bufff no umd it a must collect all u can man!!!!
8. +7 ac bracers look for +8 outthere and really hard to find
9. pally ac luv
10. handwraps of parrying stack for a +1 ac/good in the hound
my spelling sux and i cant remeber how to spell the cleric buff
ac81
11 halfing bonus/centered bonus
to get higher i think u need +3 wis and a +3 dex tome good luck and happy hunting get the cookies while u can man
mojomuscle dont forget the insight bonus from the green steel i think that a +4 so that and parry would give u +5 whcih would be a ac of 85 if u got the ac8 bracers that be 86 and found a +3 wis or dex that be ac87 and if u got both that be a ac88 i think that what your trying to hit right
edit forgot combat expertise

Desteria
12-21-2008, 02:03 AM
DT armor with +5 resistance +6 ac +4 prot +4 insight will be better than icy raiments when combined with +2 dodge chaosguards mainly because there is no decent option for monks with +4 insight AC for greensteel

Other then Kama's that is......

My monk, (ok tempest monk), but for the times AC realyl matter you often want DR bypassers any way and they are non fist weapons for the most part....

Dule min2 Kama's can net you 5-6 points of AC....
Kama#1: Holy, Acid or +1 con, +4 insight AC
Kama#2: Holy, +1 Wis, +2 Wis...

Transmuting monk weapons slicing etc all that good stuff.

Lehrman
12-21-2008, 11:26 PM
10 base
04 rainment
01 alchemical
05 prot (can just use rainment and lose 1 ac)
12 dex (35 dex +1tome)
07 wis (25 wis +1tome)
07 bracer
04 Shroud insight bonus
01 Two weapon defense--overkill, destined to be swapped out.
05 CE
01 Dodge feat
01 Wind stance Dex bonus
01 Racial
04 Centered Bonus
01 +1 wisdom Shroud wpn (better off with extra damage dice for tier2)
01 +3 Dex Shroud wpn (better off with extra damage dice for tier2 making this a +2dex wpn)
01 +3wis tome
01 +3dex tome
03 Chattering ring
---------
70 AC

03 Bark pot
04 Shield clickie
01 Haste
---------
78 AC self-buffed

05 Pali Aura
02 Ranger Bark
04 Inspire Heroics
02 Recitation
--------------------
91 AC max buff

If you skip TWD and the tier2 wis/dex buffs, then you will still have a cap of 88ac providing your wisdom and dex are high. Lower wis/dex will alter these totals.

Rog
12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
10 base
04 rainment
01 alchemical
05 prot (can just use rainment and lose 1 ac)
12 dex (35 dex +1tome)
07 wis (25 wis +1tome)
07 bracer
04 Shroud insight bonus
01 Two weapon defense--overkill, destined to be swapped out.
05 CE
01 Dodge feat
01 Wind stance Dex bonus
01 Racial
04 Centered Bonus
01 +1 wisdom Shroud wpn (better off with extra damage dice for tier2)
01 +3 Dex Shroud wpn (better off with extra damage dice for tier2 making this a +2dex wpn)
01 +3wis tome
01 +3dex tome
03 Chattering ring
---------
70 AC

03 Bark pot
04 Shield clickie
01 Haste
---------
78 AC self-buffed

05 Pali Aura
02 Ranger Bark
04 Inspire Heroics
02 Recitation
--------------------
91 AC max buff

If you skip TWD and the tier2 wis/dex buffs, then you will still have a cap of 88ac providing your wisdom and dex are high. Lower wis/dex will alter these totals.

good call on house d dex pots i keep that in mind next turn in
mojomuscle

arcane_nite
12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
kk i can get a ac 81
1. icy rams bound attuned ac rit dodge +5
2. chatering ring titan dodge +3
3. dex30/wis30 or dex 28 /wis32 depending on what u got turned on +2wis/+2 dex tomes
4.bard song ac song
5.cleric recitation extended
6. ranger barksking +5 natral ac
7.*titian cookies* 6 minute shield bufff no umd it a must collect all u can man!!!!
8. +7 ac bracers look for +8 outthere and really hard to find
9. pally ac luv
10. handwraps of parrying stack for a +1 ac/good in the hound
my spelling sux and i cant remeber how to spell the cleric buff
ac81
11 halfing bonus/centered bonus
to get higher i think u need +3 wis and a +3 dex tome good luck and happy hunting get the cookies while u can man
mojomuscle dont forget the insight bonus from the green steel i think that a +4 so that and parry would give u +5 whcih would be a ac of 85 if u got the ac8 bracers that be 86 and found a +3 wis or dex that be ac87 and if u got both that be a ac88 i think that what your trying to hit right
edit forgot combat expertise

if shield stacks, wdnt the spectacular goggles be a plausible needed? or does the +5 prot cancel it out?

arcane_nite
12-22-2008, 06:30 PM
good call on house d dex pots i keep that in mind next turn in
mojomuscle

all who replied very helpful. =)

jmelanie7
12-22-2008, 06:40 PM
(Note: I'm talking pure monk here - monk hybrid builds can get different numbers mostly fro accessibility to GS items)

Using the chattering ring, and +4 combat expertise with a decent (i.e. not having to swap into) shield clicky and barkskin pots will boost you ac to heights unobtainable by other characters without sacrificing a lot of dps.

Good luck!

Garth

You dont combine icy raiement with chaos guardes, you combine icy raiement with Armored bracers, since icy dont give you a ARMOR bonus to AC, but a DODGE bonus to ac.

QuantumFX
12-22-2008, 07:14 PM
You dont combine icy raiement with chaos guardes, you combine icy raiement with Armored bracers, since icy dont give you a ARMOR bonus to AC, but a DODGE bonus to ac.

Garth’s talking about using a Dragontouched Outfit in that senario. The Outfit Grants +6 Armor bonus so you can do: +6 Outfit Armor, +4 Outfit Prot, +4 Outfit Insight, +2 Chaosguarde dodge for +16 AC.

Rog
12-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Garth’s talking about using a Dragontouched Outfit in that senario. The Outfit Grants +6 Armor bonus so you can do: +6 Outfit Armor, +4 Outfit Prot, +4 Outfit Insight, +2 Chaosguarde dodge for +16 AC.

i am not sure if dragontouched armor is good for a monk i think icy and a chattering ring is a better option and i forgot about the +5 cloak of prot.but the choas bracers does not give you enough ac to scrap a +7 ac or +8 ac bracers so all it would be is a pasiing measure till you got the better now if dragon stack with the chattering ring that be a defrient story.
mojo

QuantumFX
12-22-2008, 09:38 PM
i am not sure if dragontouched armor is good for a monk i think icy and a chattering ring is a better option and i forgot about the +5 cloak of prot.but the choas bracers does not give you enough ac to scrap a +7 ac or +8 ac bracers so all it would be is a pasiing measure till you got the better now if dragon stack with the chattering ring that be a defrient story.
mojo

For an AC focused character it is better. I think Garth's point is that it's a bit easier to get a DT setup than an IR/+8 Braciers/Chattering Ring setup.

Maegin
12-26-2008, 09:56 AM
I find that DT set up is way less gear dependend and frees a few extra slots.

But, in my case, assuming you dont ever touch kamas, save for vorps or wounders, I'd say, idealy, dt +5 prot +5 resist +4 insight, chaosguards, +3 chatter ring is ftw.

Im mega lazy and hate shroud. :/

Garth_of_Sarlona
12-26-2008, 11:16 AM
DT is better for a monk who primarily uses handwraps, until the devs add GS handwraps anyway - this is becuse you can get +4 insight on 3rd tier which is the only way of getting it. If you use kamas, then go icy raiment + GS kamas.

+2 chaosguard +5 prot +4 insight +6 armor (17) is better (and far easier to obtain) than
+8 armor bracers +4 dodge +4 prot (16)

Getting the chattering ring is a good plan regardless of whether you use the DT or icy raiment.

Garth