PDA

View Full Version : Have your character become a HIRELING Contest

UnderwearModel
12-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I think it would be nice if there was a contest where DDO immortalized a player with a hireling named for them.

The player that won the contest would be allowed to rename their character and give their name to the HIRELING or makeup the new HIRELING name with a reference to the original character.

Then, the player would be allowed to pick the one weapon that the HIRELING uses and the favorite spells or feats that the player uses. The person also selects the other 11, or 10 if primary is a 2 Handed weapon type, other equipment slots from their current inventory. The items that the player picks are REPLICATED, not given to the hireling.

I would like a chance to immortalize one of my characters. But I know I would easily lose to the super players. But I would try. Especially since I suggested it, unless I quit by the time this is implemented or even considered to be imiplemented.

Example of Contest:

1. New Quest
2. The Player's Account can only select the quest once. This way the player must select one of their characters to do it. Not pick one, learn the way, then do another. One shot at it per account.
3. The player can select a hireling or not. But the quest cannot be run with other REAL LIVE players. Why? Sometimes, even though I hate to say it, there are people in this game that will PURPOSEFULLY sabotage a quest for other players.
4. The quest should involve some puzzles like the 3 Barrel Cove quests or the puzzles from the Shroud. Those are nice puzzles and the first time through will definitely annoy players. Like me. I can spend hours on those new quests and never figure them out.
5. Players will use a sign up sheet per server.
6. One day will be selected for all servers to run. (Cut down the web site help.)
7. Players will have a time to start the contest. Somehow accomodate the times for the foreign country players as there is no monetary prize involved so no tax consequences. Or make two contests, one for those in the North American time zones and one for the rest of the world. How Hawaii is considered is up to DDO.
8. Make a part where you have to use some of the weirder Skills, like Listen, Move SIlent, Hide, Swim, Search, Spot, Intimidate(Intimitanks win this but I bet they aren't very silent), Tumble.
9. Have an encounter where you have to decide do I fight this person or not. Like SPOT could help you pick out something about the encounter that tells you not to fight. If you choose correctly, you get an extra minute of time taken off your total time. Where as the people that fight have to do the encounter, and also have one minute added.
10. Make us use our feats like DEFENSIVE FIGHTING, trip sunder. Has anyone actually ever selected defensive fighting? I suppose I should when I am shield blocking but I never thought about it until now.
11. The player that finishes in the quickest amount of time wins.

Obviously there will be web sites that will pop up solutions, but you change that by randomizing the encounter locations and possibly monsters. And if people are creating websites then their time will be slow. And if people are searching, then their times will be slow.

Yes, there should be static monster locations but a few surprises to keep players on their toes. Throw in a new monster like a Shambling Mound or an Owlbear. Or make us catch a Hippogriff or Griffon to fly to something.

Obviously outside communication can help some players, (telephone, friend over at your house) but by limiting the play time and making everyone start at the same time this will cut down on that.

Another idea...

And maybe, there should be some way to immortalize some of the original players that no longer play. Some that have achieved legendary status, (who is ZERG?)

And have a biography on the hirelings that refer to the original player.

Yes, there are some complications. But since the hirelings already exist that part is over.

Obviously, since some classes are NOT hirelings those players would have to...... Well, that would be even cooler, be the first of that class type of hireling.

Wizzly_Bear
12-14-2008, 09:26 PM
interesting. don't think i like it though (not that i wouldn't compete if it happened :D )

edit: jut occurred to me....who would want to be immortalized by the same ddo ai that brought about coyle :p

sirgog
12-14-2008, 10:44 PM
interesting. don't think i like it though (not that i wouldn't compete if it happened :D )

edit: jut occurred to me....who would want to be immortalized by the same ddo ai that brought about coyle :p

Lol.

Speaking of Coyle, my Sorc's new bio is:
"(Combat): Your Wall of Fire hit The Venerated for 940 points of fire damage.
(Combat): You killed The Venerated."

That's a Coyle moment if ever I've heard of one.

Wizzly_Bear
12-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Lol.

Speaking of Coyle, my Sorc's new bio is:
"(Combat): Your Wall of Fire hit The Venerated for 940 points of fire damage.
(Combat): You killed The Venerated."

That's a Coyle moment if ever I've heard of one.
lol, nice :D almost as good as him casting scorching ray against a fire reaver :confused:

sirgog
12-14-2008, 11:24 PM
lol, nice :D almost as good as him casting scorching ray against a fire reaver :confused:

Or an Iron Golem - Scorch Ray does nothing to fire reavers, but heals Iron Golems.

Wizzly_Bear
12-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Or an Iron Golem - Scorch Ray does nothing to fire reavers, but heals Iron Golems.
lol, hadn't seen that one yet but im not surprised

geoffhanna
12-14-2008, 11:33 PM
I think it is an excellent idea

Qwijy
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM
I nominate myself, on the following conditions:

The Qwijy hireling must be a bard
One of its functions needs to involve buying/selling goods (perhaps a summoned vendor?)
Combat-wise, the hireling must buff, sing, keep the party hasted, heal when necessary, invis itself, and loot chests. No combat.... too overloaded with potions and scrolls.
This hireling should always have a LFG icon over its head
There should be a 1% chance every 5 minutes that the Qwijy hireling becomes completely unresponsive for 1 minute.

:D

Pyromaniac
12-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Can we nominate others given the state of the AI :)