PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a Change to Power Leveling in Mod 9?

bobbryan2
12-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Seriously... Level 20?

Have to run an alt all the way up to level 17 to be able to group with your capped guildies again?

Before Mod 3, you had to get 270,000 xp to group with your friends again.

Before Mod 4, you had to get 440,000

Before Mod 6, you had to get 650,000

And now we'll have to reach 1,350,000.

That's really going to suck. Really bad.

Angelus_dead
12-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Have to run an alt all the way up to level 17 to be able to group with your capped guildies again?
The good way to fix this would be to allow your capped friends to temporarily drop down to your level, either by de-levelling one of their characters, or by loading from a list of developer-supplied pregenerated characters of a variety of classes and levels.

That way you can still play with the people you want to, but you can't skip ahead over all that content right away (unless you're willing to try CR 20 raids at level 16, which is your prerogative)

akla_thornfist
12-13-2008, 08:02 AM
i try to keep a few of my characters at low levels just so i can help others level there new guys. i have characters from lev 4 to 16 this works out well for guildies making new characters.

CSFurious
12-13-2008, 08:20 AM
power-leveling builds character

if you apply yourself, you will be up to level 16 in less than 60 days

i have seen people go to current cap in about 7 to 10 days so my schedule is quite relaxing in comparison

Borror0
12-13-2008, 08:21 AM
the Good Way To Fix This Would Be To Allow Your Capped Friends To Temporarily Drop Down To Your Level, Either By De-levelling One Of Their Characters, Or By Loading From A List Of Developer-supplied Pregenerated Characters Of A Variety Of Classes And Levels.

That Way You Can Still Play With The people You Want To, But You Can't Skip Ahead Over All That content Right Away (unless You're Willing To Try Cr 20 Raids At Level 16, Which Is Your Prerogative)
Quoted because it's the best way to do it.

Gorstag
12-13-2008, 08:23 AM
I was about to say, if you are not capped in two weeks or less. Then you have not grasped the concept of powerleveling. Also, if you have not capped in a week, then you are not a good powerleveler. :)

Blind_Skwerl
12-14-2008, 05:08 AM
how do you level so fast? Just rolled a new guy, guild is doing mostly shroud and new stuff... suggestions?

Quanefel
12-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Quoted because it's the best way to do it.

I don't get how an option that is not in the game would be the best way to go about this?

sephiroth1084
12-14-2008, 05:33 AM
I obviously have a fair amount of time on my hands, but since I began playing DDO at the end of last January '08, I have gotten: 1 character to lvl 15 and 1750 favor, 2 characters to 16 (on has 20 shroud runs and 3 greensteel items under his belt), 2 to level 10, another to 9, and maybe a half dozen to a dozen up to level 4 or 5.

Now, I am no (or was not) MMO veteran: this has been the only MMO I have ever played. I think I got my 1750 character to that point in about 2 1/2 months, and I was unguilded until I was about level 7 or 8 I suppose (I remember running Stormcleave with an officer of The Loreseekers as a way of demonstrating my value).

Yeah, leveling can be a chore I suppose, but it certainly doesn't take TOO long. I find that my characters are developing a little more slowly now than my first few, and assume that that is because the focus of my play time has been fragmented.

While I've not done true powerleveling, I have seen some threads about on methodology. Go look for those if you're worried I suppose. Personally, though, I like playing an assortment of characters and quests, so having multiple characters at different levels can be refreshing (a few weeks of Reaver, Shroud, VoD, Hound and Titan looting and lvl 16s really begin to be a bore for a while).

Angelus_dead
12-14-2008, 06:06 AM
I don't get how an option that is not in the game would be the best way to go about this?
If you could teleport, would you still drive a car to work?

branmakmuffin
12-14-2008, 10:27 AM
You answered it yourself. It would be the best way to do it (if it existed)

Didn't you see the first Star Trek movie?

Korvek
12-14-2008, 10:36 AM
power-leveling builds character

if you apply yourself, you will be up to level 16 in less than 60 days

i have seen people go to current cap in about 7 to 10 days so my schedule is quite relaxing in comparison

Erm, you are talking about the experience penalties, right? That's what the OP was talking about.

branmakmuffin
12-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Erm, you are talking about the experience penalties, right? That's what the OP was talking about.
He didn't explicitly write which kind of power-leveling he meant. If the technical Turbine definition, why would there need to be any kind of change once the level cap hits 20? Taking a much lower level character into a quest so it can sit around and do nothing and reap XP while everyone else does all the work is taking a much lower level character into a quest so it can sit around and do nothing and reap XP while everyone else does all the work, regardless of what the level cap is.

Korvek
12-14-2008, 10:56 AM
He didn't explicitly write which kind of power-leveling he meant. If the technical Turbine definition, why would there need to be any kind of change once the level cap hits 20?

I assumed he meant the experience penalties, given that he was complaining about having to be a certain level/have a certain amount of experience before grouping with his guildies again.

However, my interpretation has the potential to be quite wrong.

Borror0
12-14-2008, 11:04 AM
If the technical Turbine definition, why would there need to be any kind of change once the level cap hits 20? Taking a much lower level character into a quest so it can sit around and do nothing and reap XP while everyone else does all the work is taking a much lower level character into a quest so it can sit around and do nothing and reap XP while everyone else does all the work, regardless of what the level cap is.
Except that the population stays "the same" but is split across more levels. Say you have 400 players logged on the same server at one moment. If the cap is level 10, that means there would be about 40 players per level. Plus, we both know that the character are polarized at the two extremities.

Assuming no population variation, the same 400 players logged on the same server, but separated across 20 levels lead to 20 players per level. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, that means that it's much harder to find players of you level to play with that :

are not in a quest.
have enough time to complete the quest you have in mind.
want to do a quest you'd want to do.
want to try the quest without a cleric if you don't find one/wait for a cleric.
want to play by your play style. Be it zerg or slow paced.

As for if a player of a lower level would contribute to the party, it's a whole different topic.

It mostly depends on the skill of the player.

branmakmuffin
12-14-2008, 11:16 AM
[...] As for if a player of a lower level would contribute to the party, it's a whole different topic.

It mostly depends on the skill of the player.
So what would you do, have characters sign an affadavit "I swear under penalty of perjury that, despite being 4 or more levels lower than the highest level character in this party, I am capable of meaningful contribution to the success of this quest, therefore the power-leveling penalty is not applicable to me?"

Borror0
12-14-2008, 11:24 AM
So what would you do, have characters sign an affadavit "I swear under penalty of perjury that, despite being 4 or more levels lower than the highest level character in this party, I am capable of meaningful contribution to the success of this quest, therefore the power-leveling penalty is not applicable to me?"
lol, why not?:D

Seriously, where the powerleveling point starts is really arbitrary. Some are two levels higher than me and are a total leech. Some are lower level than me and contribute way more than I do. Obviously, it is also class and dungeon specific. Some classes will perform much better in some quests than others so they will be less hit by being lower levels than me.

In other words, where you put the line cannot be clear cut. Making it increase as the levels go up would be a bad idea.

There is a huge difference between a level 1 and a level 5. Between a level 12 and a level 16, so as much.

branmakmuffin
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Seriously, where the powerleveling point starts is really arbitrary.
Of course it's arbitrary. It's a game. Everything is arbitrary.

Some are two levels higher than me and are a total leech.
I don't doubt it. As you wrote, so much is dependent on the skills and attitudes of the player.

There is a huge difference between a level 1 and a level 5. Between a level 12 and a level 16, so as much.
So maybe you're suggesting scaling the power-leveling penalty level differential, allowing for a greater gap as levels increase. As a concept, that makes sense, because, yes, the difference between a 1 and a 5 is much greater than between a 12 and a 16.

It galls me to agree with you so much.

Borror0
12-14-2008, 11:35 AM
So maybe you're suggesting scaling the power-leveling penalty level differential, allowing for a greater gap as levels increase. As a concept, that makes sense, because, yes, the difference between a 1 and a 5 is much greater than between a 12 and a 16.
Exactly, that is what I am suggesting.

It galls me to agree with you so much.
I think a lot of our disagreements come from the part of information that is lost in the translation of our thoughts to written format.

Quanefel
12-14-2008, 11:39 AM

I'd prefer what might actually work than say wishing on a long shot that more than likely, will never happen.

bobbryan2
12-14-2008, 12:13 PM
For the record, I know how to power level. Back when the cap was 10, I would usually get to 7 within a couple of days. Since then, I've backed way off... because it's actually a little stressful to cap within a weekend. I usually take 2-3 weeks to do it at a nice leisurely pace.

You can't really get to level 17 in a couple of days.

It's just gotten harder and harder to group with your capped guildies after every level cap increase. First you needed an extra 230k, then you needed another 270k, then 310k. But this level is going to require an extra 740k. That's a pretty astronomical increase.

I just think it's going to be felt a lot more than people realize now. 740k alone is almost twice the total experience you needed to cap when the cap was 10.

And on top of that, it'll be spreading out the population even more than it is now.

Anyways, it won't be the end of the world. But it's something I think people are really going to feel once it goes live. Figured I'd at least bring it up preemptively.