PDA

View Full Version : Curious

lazlow
12-12-2008, 07:46 AM
We or ...you all talk about end game, and a toons viablility at end game. Thats fine and great but I was wondering if some could provide what their monks look like at say 8th level as some sort of bench mark to see how our monks are fairing. Fore example, whats your a/c look like , what items at this level are you using...I think the input from others who have gone before us may help us lower monks. Id appreciate if you could provide your a/c and how you are getting it ( items n such) what do you run around at( unbuffed, just your gear), and or what pots you typically use to boost the a/c. Are you pure or can you spike with uncanny dodge with splashes of another class and so on. I am curious. thanks in advance.

rimble
12-12-2008, 10:02 AM
My Halfling Strength Monk is level 7, and my most useful find so far (on the AH) was +1 Frost Handwraps of Weighted 1%. Other than that he has the Black Widow Bracers, is still using the +ToHit gear from Korthos Island (+3 ToHit, his total is +18 right now), has +2 Wisdom and Strength items (+3 won't help him in those stats right now), and a +3 Dex item. He has a Cloak of Protection +2, and a Trinket of the Silver Flame thingy that grants Protection from Evil, but I'm not sure if that is really helping him with anything. Oh yeah, and his Robe of Invulnerability (DR 5/Magic) is KEY...that's probably the most important thing he has (Min Level 4).

In Fire Stance I believe he's at 20 Strength, 20 Dexterity, and 18 Wisdom. AC is 26 I think. I've mostly solo'd him so far, and it's been easy. I drank some pots (Barkskin, Herosim, Haste, Resist Energy: Fire, and Lesser Restoration) soloing Tangleroot on Hard and going up against a few other tough named creatures throughout the world.

Feats are TWF, Toughness, Stunning Fist, WF: Bludgeon, Stunning Blow, and Power Attack.

Fire Stance grants plenty of Ki to keep up with healing, and my fingers get pretty crazy going between Stunning Blow, Stunning Fist, Unbalancing Strike, and Trip plus the usual Fists of Light to keep the healing going. I usually only use Eagle Claw Attack and Sunder on long fights.

Gadget2775
12-12-2008, 12:43 PM
He has a Cloak of Protection +2, and a Trinket of the Silver Flame thingy that grants Protection from Evil, but I'm not sure if that is really helping him with anything.

Protection from Evil bonuses shouldn't be stacking with Protection or Resistance items. They've been a bit buggy though so who knows from Mod to Mod.

Oh yeah, and his Robe of Invulnerability (DR 5/Magic) is KEY...that's probably the most important thing he has (Min Level 4).

Invulnerability...DR 5/Magic sounds good on the surface, but all it takes to bypass is a +1 modifier on the weapon, which pretty much everything has at mid levels (There might be a few critters without, but not many).

kinar
12-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Invulnerability...DR 5/Magic sounds good on the surface, but all it takes to bypass is a +1 modifier on the weapon, which pretty much everything has at mid levels (There might be a few critters without, but not many).
I would actually question this statement. There are a TON of mobs that use natural weapons at low-mid levels (and quite a few still at high levels). These wouldn't qualify as magical weapons so they don't bypass /Magic DR. For examples, skeletons (most attack with hands/claws), spiders, dogs, kobolds (frequently attack with claws), constructs (hounds), rats, cats (not many at low-mid levels) etc.

With all this said, I'm not positive this is how it works. I've neer tested it, but it certainly sounds like somthing I might start testing. I wonder if Turbine gave some of these monsters access to magical attacks at some point in thier CR rating.

rimble
12-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I would actually question this statement. There are a TON of mobs that use natural weapons at low-mid levels (and quite a few still at high levels). These wouldn't qualify as magical weapons so they don't bypass /Magic DR. For examples, skeletons (most attack with hands/claws), spiders, dogs, kobolds (frequently attack with claws), constructs (hounds), rats, cats (not many at low-mid levels) etc.

With all this said, I'm not positive this is how it works. I've neer tested it, but it certainly sounds like somthing I might start testing. I wonder if Turbine gave some of these monsters access to magical attacks at some point in thier CR rating.

Yeah, I absolutely disagree. Most weapon wielding creatures still don't use magic weapons until closer to 10th level--maybe it even changes through Normal/Hard/Elite, I've never thought to make that observation. Anyways, robes swap fast, so just carry something else if it's not working in the quest you're in. I've found Invulnerability to be useful up until around 10th level, though I'm usually soloing most of that and not doing things over my level. Oh, and I guess one other small consideration is that there's not much useful to put in your robe slot at low levels anyways. I still have a Guard robe to swap into, but nothing else is very useful there.

I forgot on my equipment that I found a 7th level Ring of Moderate Fortification on the AH. I think that has made a huge difference as well. Before I had it I got straight JACKED in one of the Depths quests when a Large Elemental critted me _THREE_ times in a row, and I wasn't even in his Earth Grasp or whatever...46, 52, 46...oof!

Gadget2775
12-12-2008, 01:52 PM

One more thing to add to the test list I'd thought that magical creaturs (IE Skeletons) natuaral attacks counted as Magical...Not certain thought. Spiders, Dogs and Rats shouldn't be magical...

"Thought I was wrong once....But I was mistaken" :D

QuantumFX
12-12-2008, 07:25 PM
We or ...you all talk about end game, and a toons viablility at end game. Thats fine and great but I was wondering if some could provide what their monks look like at say 8th level as some sort of bench mark to see how our monks are fairing.

For example, whats your a/c look like , what items at this level are you using...I think the input from others who have gone before us may help us lower monks. I'd appreciate if you could provide your a/c and how you are getting it ( items n such) what do you run around at( unbuffed, just your gear), and or what pots you typically use to boost the a/c. Are you pure or can you spike with uncanny dodge with splashes of another class and so on. I am curious. thanks in advance.

I'm at work ATM but here are the AC amounts I remember for my l10 elf STR based monk.

10 Base
+6 DEX
+6 WIS
+2 Chaosguarde
+4 Centered
-----------------

+4 Mage Armor Pot/House P buff
+3 Barkskin Pot
+3 Shield of Faith +3 Pot/House J buff
-------------------------------------

The big thing that will help you at low levels is the TWF feats. Not so you can go around dual weilding kamas but because your unarmed/handwraps get 3 attacks per animation sequence with no penalties.

bigj1608
12-14-2008, 12:26 PM
my lvl 6 dwarf str monk

with house p buffs and fire stance, looks like this for stats

21 str
18 dex
20 con
13 int
18 wis
6 cha

self buffed
ac:39 fire stance(41 if i go wind stance)
10 base
4 dex
4 wis
2 monk
3 bark pot
4 blackwidow bracers
3 sof pot
1 haste
5 combat expertise
4 shield clicky
(2 extra for wind stance(wis and dex go to 20))