PDA

View Full Version : Game Audio Out of Control...

Zenix_Leviticus
12-11-2008, 09:22 AM
I turn my game effects down so I can hear the people on the mic over the game
effects.

Ever since the last mod, I can't turn them all the way down. I mean even when they
are turned all the way down, they are still there. Sometimes we get into certain
dungeons and I just hear a loud reverberating echo, even with the sound effects
down to zero.

Is this intentional?

Am I the only one experiencing this?

cdbd3rd
12-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I particularly like the blast we get with the Turbine logo at startup. Everyone else in the house, not so much a fan of it. :p

Only really noticed an overblast of noise with a few traps - sliding blade traps and lightning traps seem to be the worst offenders.

Harncw
12-11-2008, 09:28 AM
needing to set:
winamp to 5% volume
sound effects to 8%, 2% if in titan
voice chat volume to 100%

doesnt make sense?

GreenGurgler
12-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I noticed this too after the last Mod. In some quests/areas, the sounds are LOUD no matter what my settings are on. It is especially apparent in the new Korthos area quests.

Also, I have noticed (since the last Mod) a few places that have such deep darkness as to be impenetrable (like the way it is in Rainbow). They are few and far between but very strange. I ran Chain of flames yesterday and there were a few areas, particularly by some shrines, that I could not see ANYTHING! I couldnt see the shrine, I couldnt see the chests, I was poking around blindly yet if I walked 20 ft away it was light and normal again. Weird...

cdbd3rd
12-11-2008, 09:44 AM
.... I ran Chain of flames yesterday and there were a few areas, particularly by some shrines, that I could not see ANYTHING! I couldnt see the shrine, I couldnt see the chests, I was poking around blindly yet if I walked 20 ft away it was light and normal again. Weird...

That's so you don't disturb the people trying to rest. It's the dev's nod to the roleplayers. ;)

:D

Issip
12-11-2008, 10:55 AM
I noticed this too after the last Mod. In some quests/areas, the sounds are LOUD no matter what my settings are on. It is especially apparent in the new Korthos area quests.

Also, I have noticed (since the last Mod) a few places that have such deep darkness as to be impenetrable (like the way it is in Rainbow). They are few and far between but very strange. I ran Chain of flames yesterday and there were a few areas, particularly by some shrines, that I could not see ANYTHING! I couldnt see the shrine, I couldnt see the chests, I was poking around blindly yet if I walked 20 ft away it was light and normal again. Weird...

Dust mephits?

In_Like_Flynn
12-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Yep, voice at 1.00 and all others at .02, and even then a lot of people are too quiet to hear.

Forceonature
12-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Nope, you're not the only one. Voice volume maxxed, everything else close to min. My personal favorite: forgetting to turn the speakers back down so that you can hear the Windows Alert "bung" notification from across the house.

GlassCannon
12-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Voice at 100%, System Volume and Wave Volume at 100%, DDO Sound and other settings at .01-.03... Sound is 0.03 and DM is at 0.01, I can hear them loud and clear.

Bose speakers with a wicked sound card... when I get into a raid, 1 person is at 2% volume and I strain to hear them with my speakers at 75% of maximum volume. I disabled system sounds because of this cr@p. At least 2 people in party are at 250% volume, making Voice Chat a literal curse to the game(yes I will completely ignore some people in party, evern if they are the Leader, if their gain is too low on my end. I don't need to go deaf over a combat strategy in a Raid. I usually end up bailing the party out by deviating anyway). When I run in groups with no Voice Chat option, I freaking LOVE it... they all type and we have a great time. I jam out to my music with my speakers at 20% volume and enjoy the game.

When someone starts using their mic, I have to turn Winamp down to 1% volume, adjust the speakers, put on headphones, and pray that my eardrums survive the sh*tstorm. I HATE VOICE CHAT IN DDO

PLEASE TERMINATE YOUR CONTRACT WITH GAMESPY, THIS IS REALLY OUT OF HAND.

DaveyCrockett
12-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Go do the fire room in PoP. BOOOOOOM! There went my ****** speakers.. lol

sephiroth1084
12-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah, it's always been kind of an issue (varying levels of voice coming through, with some being too soft to hear and others booming throughout my entire house), but it has definitely gotten worse. I've had to turn off sound effects and UI completely, and have music too low to hear at any time except when walking around the city, because I couldn't hear half the people I was grouping with.

The sound of footfalls, especially, has gotten much too loud.

Tanka
12-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I particularly dislike the sudden override of all other sounds on the way to Enter the Kobold. The lava sound is just absurd. I set all my sounds to .02 on purpose so I'm not deafened by sudden bursts of sound, and that part is just annoying to me.

I dislike being told (more or less): no, sorry, you'll hear this and you'll like it. I could care less about roleplaying in this game and the overbearing lava sound just strikes me as "roleplay or else, nub!"

Shima-ra
12-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Yesterday, I was hearing voice choice clearly,
but voice chat only
No matter what I did, I couldn't hear sound effects, ambient and music

Dragonhyde
12-11-2008, 09:48 PM
I had this problem as well after mod8 arrived, suddenly my peacful 0.1 setting was as loud as having it maxxed...one day while trying to adjust it I realized that my audio now had two options under sound playback a software and a hardware option. I set mine from hardware to software and while lava is still loud I can at least have my sound effects on.

Oeuf
12-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Since MOD 8 I can only get party talk through my headphones. The game sounds still come through the speakers.

It all worked before MOD 8 just fine.

Go figure. And it only does this in DDO, not LoTRO or Warhammer.

:confused:

cpito
12-11-2008, 10:13 PM

Consider yourself lucky, I had headphones on when I went in the other day :(

Talcyndl
12-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Just a suggestion...

Check and make sure the correct audio device is set in the Audio options panel. For me at least, Mod 8 reset that setting to some generic audio device. Setting it back to my actual sound card helped.

Impaqt
12-12-2008, 08:49 AM
THis is obviously a Bug...... Please report it. I have....

ANy Lava Noise seems to be full volume.. PoP, Reysalon,
Most Blade Style Traps

and theres a few more that I havent caught yet.

Dracolich
12-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Ya please bug report it.

On a side note I use Dual sound cards. I use one for my voice capture and voice out and the second for game audio out. I know its a bit redundant but I hook up a set of stereo speakers for my voice out and a set of 5 channels for my game sound. This lets me independantly adjust either with 2 separate volume knobs without having to go into the settings of either.

You can pick up a 20 dollar sound card and some cheap speakers to use for your voice out since you dont need to hear somones nasal whistle in hi fedelity.

Missing_Minds
12-12-2008, 09:47 AM

That is nothing. Recover the lost tome and the lighting traps.

GreenGurgler
12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Dust mephits?
No, its definetly not this. It is somewhat different. I can stand outside of it and look in and it is 100% black with a hard transition to light. Mephits smoke/fog looks different when you stand outside looking in: there is a transition from light to dark.

Plus, there were no mephits around/alive or even in this area.

I have noticed it in a few other quests as well. I have been tweaking my shadow settings to see if it changes anything.

It is a minor inconvenience at best, just wonder if anyone else has seen this or am I just loosing it?:confused:

Mindspat
12-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Is this intentional?

Am I the only one experiencing this?

It's a bug. Are you talking about the same sound issue when in an area where there's supposed to be Lava_noise?

ex: The fire room of Prison of the Planes.