PDA

View Full Version : Important Information Regarding Preview Server Risia

Tarrant
12-05-2008, 05:24 PM
The decision was recently made to close Risia to the public in the coming weeks to prepare it for use in an upcoming DDO project (you may have heard us allude to something big coming down the pipe!). However, Murphy's Law of MMOs bit us with a hardware failure on Risia on Monday during our regular maintenance. Since the closure was already fast approaching, we re-evaluated our plans and have decided to leave Risia closed for the immediate future. We know this will generate many questions, so we've tried to answer a few of them in advance. We'd like to thank everyone for their participation in the preview program! Please stay tuned for more announcements:

Q: What do I do with my Risia installation?
A: You can uninstall the Risia client and delete any installation files. New preview server installations will be incompatible with the current Risia installation.

Q: Does this mean there won't be a preview program any more?
A: The preview program has been undergoing some changes based on play patterns. The active population on our preview servers tends to be very small between updates. Activity picks up when a new Module becomes available, and then quickly dies back down. We'll have more information about the preview program in the future.

Q: Can I transfer my characters from Risia to the live servers?
A: Unfortunately, preview characters are not eligible to be transferred. Risia characters are not up to date with the Live servers.

Q: So... this "DDO related project". Can you tell me what it is? Is it super secret stuff?
A: We can't tell you just yet, but the wait to find out about it won't be long! More information about the fate of Risia will be available early this coming Year!

Mhykke
12-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Interesting.

Borror0
12-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Hmmm... interesting. Hopefully, this will address the problem of outdated characters to test new content.

akla_thornfist
12-05-2008, 05:28 PM
i enjoyed my time on risia and look forward to something new and exciting

Jadeare
12-05-2008, 05:28 PM
I concur....

I bet they are bringing out Jedi as a playable class.

I want to be a wookie.

Deathseeker
12-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Risia...the new Permadeath server...MUHAHAHAHA!

Gratch
12-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow... not too weird they're taking it down if there's a hardware problem given the low between mod use.

The more interesting thing is that whatever they'll be using it for is not patchable from the current Risia client. Now for something completely different??? Like maybe a half-orc/half-elf preview without Mod 9? Something where it's like a branch preview server? Though we know about half-orc/half-elves... and Tolero's hints of "something you weren't expecting" that isn't hirelings... or races... or druids (?)...

So are we talking about a totally new AI engine? New graphics collusion engine (the one they just licensed)? A new PVP server that does sort of Battlegrounds stuff using our live chracters (this would only work if Mod9 PvP rebalanced classes - which would be its own insanely huge barrel of dune-sized sandworms)? A new client that has built-in facebook stuffs? A means to make fun of people on the LotRO server while they gather their 30x hobbit foot hairs?

*shrug*

moorewr
12-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I concur....

I bet they are bringing out Jedi as a playable class.

I want to be a wookie.

I'll see your NGE and raise you an NPE. :p

Semiotics are important here -- in the lede Tarrant says in an upcoming DDO project but down below he restates it as So... this "DDO related project." I will now obsess on this distinction.

Deathseeker
12-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Or maybe people were exploiting the shroud on Risia now that its closed in game...so they just took down the whole server :)

I'm pretty excited about what this may be...but boy, I hope its something decent and not just something silly. The build up has been going on for so long...

Maybe they need Risia to be the test server for the Console version of DDO!

akla_thornfist
12-05-2008, 05:42 PM
xbox beta server

cdbd3rd
12-05-2008, 05:43 PM
BUT MY AH BIDS!!!! I was within months on several really kewl items!!!!

Aw, man..... :(

:rolleyes:

Cedrica-the-Bard
12-05-2008, 05:48 PM
My guess is a massive server merge, everyone to Risia!

Gratch
12-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Your years old bids would have lost when I sniped with only a fortnight to go.

Giantsbane
12-05-2008, 05:50 PM
My first reaction is, "Great, now I can delete Risia and regain 2gig+ on my seriously taxed harddrive."

My next thought was, "What can be so game changing that it will require a totaly new installation of DDO?"

As for the long awaited super secret project, I'm thinking that it involves a non-disclosuer agreement with another company. I know of one console manufactuer that is notorious for this.

The question that is really nagging me is, "How does this impact the release of MOD9"?

cdbd3rd
12-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Your years old bids would have lost when I sniped with only a fortnight to go.

Oh, well, okay then.

/Begins Uninstall.... :p

Beherit_Baphomar
12-05-2008, 05:56 PM
xbox beta server

Didnt some high up, fancy guy tell us that DDO was not the platform being shipped to consoles?

Kreaper
12-05-2008, 06:05 PM

ME TOO! Just three and a half more months and those +3 spot goggles were mine!

Gratch
12-05-2008, 06:13 PM
As for the long awaited super secret project, I'm thinking that it involves a non-disclosuer agreement with another company. I know of one console manufactuer that is notorious for this.

If you're hinting that DDO might get pushed to a different publisher... like M$... and might get put on the 360. I'd mostly ignore the M$ and 360 because no matter how much I dislike any other current publishers (EA, Sony, M$ are the top annoyances)... at least all 3 of those are exponentially better than DDO's current publishing BLACKHOLE of Atari.

DDO might actually translate well onto the 360. Minimal PvP to balance between the two different client types. DDO has built-in voice chat and the 360 console is probably the most streamlined at having voice built-in to it's games/hardware (of the consoles). Maybe DDO's a great engine test primer for their setup of a Harry Potter MMO on the 360 - even though a LotRO 360 would probably garner more cash - initially. Though is Atari still the sole license holder of D&D? Not that they wouldn't sell it out for some toilet paper in their bathrooms...

Randolf_Drake
12-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Risia...the new Permadeath server...MUHAHAHAHA!

Only if they fix BAB, remove all enahancements, and rebalance all the monsters to PnP settings, then I may try permadeath on a server specifically for it... I mean lag wont be an issue since there will only be like 10 of us there...

:P

ArkoHighStar
12-05-2008, 06:18 PM
If you're hinting that DDO might get pushed to a different publisher... like M$... and might get put on the 360. I'd mostly ignore the M$ and 360 because no matter how much I dislike any other current publishers (EA, Sony, M$ are the top annoyances)... at least all 3 of those are exponentially better than DDO's current publishing BLACKHOLE of Atari.

DDO might actually translate well onto the 360. Minimal PvP to balance between the two different client types. DDO has built-in voice chat and the 360 console is probably the most streamlined at having voice built-in to it's games/hardware (of the consoles). Maybe DDO's a great engine test primer for their setup of a Harry Potter MMO on the 360 - even though a LotRO 360 would probably garner more cash - initially. Though is Atari still the sole license holder of D&D? Not that they wouldn't sell it out for some toilet paper in their bathrooms...

To be on the 360 it doesn't need to be published by Microsoft

moorewr
12-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Any other guesses at the vast secret..?

I really only have one:
All new game engine and graphics - Umbra driven. Thus the all new client...

geoffhanna
12-05-2008, 06:22 PM
If it is only "DDO-related" then it is not the DDO port to console (although I think that is coming too).

I am guessing it is the new Turbine social networking stuff.

Which doesn't particularly, appeal to me but whatever, if it gets DDO any resources at all then I am in favor :).

Sequell
12-05-2008, 06:22 PM
The decision was recently made to close Risia to the public in the coming weeks to prepare it for use in an upcoming DDO project (you may have heard us allude to something big coming down the pipe!). However, Murphy's Law of MMOs bit us with a hardware failure on Risia on Monday during our regular maintenance. Since the closure was already fast approaching, we re-evaluated our plans and have decided to leave Risia closed for the immediate future. We know this will generate many questions, so we've tried to answer a few of them in advance. We'd like to thank everyone for their participation in the preview program! Please stay tuned for more announcements:

A: You can uninstall the Risia client and delete any installation files. New preview server installations will be incompatible with the current Risia installation.

A: The preview program has been undergoing some changes based on play patterns. The active population on our preview servers tends to be very small between updates. Activity picks up when a new Module becomes available, and then quickly dies back down. We'll have more information about the preview program in the future.

A: Unfortunately, preview characters are not eligible to be transferred. Risia characters are not up to date with the Live servers.

Q: So... this "DDO related project". Can you tell me what it is? Is it super secret stuff?
A: We can't tell you just yet, but the wait to find out about it won't be long! More information about the fate of Risia will be available early this coming Year!

All this talk about answering questions we might have...only to get told that "WE" can't tell you yet! lmao :D

Gum
12-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Interesting this is

Gratch
12-05-2008, 06:29 PM
To be on the 360 it doesn't need to be published by Microsoft

But it does need a publisher. Hmmm... and I guess Atari might still do it. Or I guess Turbine could release it digitally on XBox Live... but a 5 gig download is beyond XBox Live's reality. Oh well... now I'm hoping it's not a console port of the game, unless both versions of the game get resold to a different publisher.

I'd also guess maybe the Umbra oclusionEngine... but neither of those really fit under Tolero's "vast and mysterious" banner. Some sort of content. ooh... or better yet the oft-rumored second city on a different continent. That's my vote in the poll....

Upcoming Turbine Mod 10: New Continent Content (also including half races).

cdbd3rd
12-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Interesting this is

Yeah, and Risia uninstalls SO much faster than it installed.... :o

Baron
12-05-2008, 06:44 PM
offline (not logged into game) access to character data, maybe AH as well would be a bridge to test

VonBek
12-05-2008, 07:53 PM

I wonder if this will grow into a better midpoint between Mournlands feedback and Risia's sporadic population? Crazy talk: free round trip for a character willing to help explore something uncharted, or a home for otherwise retired heroes.

Rouge
12-05-2008, 10:14 PM
If we get DDO on the XBOX 360, I want to use my DDO character as my avatar on the XBOX Live Experience! :D

Bloodhaven
12-05-2008, 10:56 PM
never mind

Mockduck
12-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Wow, something big is in the works, that's for sure. Very curious...

I've always had a thought that DDO was headed to consoles, but I don't really see what that would have to do with Risia.

My guess is a PvP server? Maybe a hardcore server? Maybe a server where everyone wears pink and hops around with happy rainbows and flowers?

Jay203
12-06-2008, 12:44 AM

why can't you just say "no, and yes!" =P

Tous
12-06-2008, 01:14 AM
xbox beta server

Now that would rock!

Tous
12-06-2008, 01:15 AM
If we get DDO on the XBOX 360, I want to use my DDO character as my avatar on the XBOX Live Experience! :D

And that would rock even more!:D

kyebosh
12-06-2008, 03:43 AM
I think I made a boo-boo...

I thought I checked & double checked to make sure I uninstalled the correct client, but alas I failed. I'm sure the one I selected said Risia though, so can someone check for me?

When I went to Programs & Features (add/remove programs for you XP'ers) there were 2 DDO listings, one for Risia & one for live. The one that said Risia had the red DDO symbol icon while the other had a grey "T" looking icon (Turbine?). So I removed the red icon guy. Now, trying to play on live the client is gone! Also, now the red icon is the grey one, labelled Risia :S

Did I make a mistake, or is it labelled wrongly?
Uninstall Risa (I dare you ;)) & tell me your story!

AxeM
12-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Both had the red ddo Icon for me, uninstalled the one labeled Risia, game still works fine.

VonBek
12-06-2008, 04:52 AM

Both add/remove program entries had the round, red, Eberron seal. Both said Stormreach. One had "Risa" appended to the application name, and a version 5.something. I uninstalled the Risia version.
It uninstalled quickly. I still have the application entry for Stormreach v4.01.blah.blah.more blah. Though I no longer have the Eberron seal; I now have a generic windows application icon. I have successfully logged into the game and found it unchanged.

kyebosh
12-06-2008, 05:10 AM
Yay for me then :(

Oh well, thanks folks :)

VonBek
12-06-2008, 05:26 AM
I feel your pain. Reinstalling the program can be tedious.
If you run back ups on your PC

Reiinstall the program. But once installed, you can restore the directory (usually "C:\Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach" ) from back up to skip the 65536 updates required to bring the game current.

If you don't run back ups, you just achieved another fine life lesson.

Giacomo
12-06-2008, 06:43 AM
The preview program has been undergoing some changes based on play patterns. The active population on our preview servers tends to be very small between updates. Activity picks up when a new Module becomes available, and then quickly dies back down.

Wasn't this the idea? Preview the "NEW" content, then go to the Live server. I "Previewed" plenty, Mod 4, 5, 6, Monks, hirelings, etc.

Why would I want to stay on the "Preview" server with my characters that were a couple levels below the "Live" server with inferior gear and limited resources?

I'm sure this is all for the better. Positive things await!

Beginning Uninstall!

<edit>Uninstall complete. All is well in LiveLand!

silverraven
12-06-2008, 07:18 AM
But it does need a publisher. Hmmm... and I guess Atari might still do it. Or I guess Turbine could release it digitally on XBox Live... but a 5 gig download is beyond XBox Live's reality. Oh well... now I'm hoping it's not a console port of the game, unless both versions of the game get resold to a different publisher.

I'd also guess maybe the Umbra oclusionEngine... but neither of those really fit under Tolero's "vast and mysterious" banner. Some sort of content. ooh... or better yet the oft-rumored second city on a different continent. That's my vote in the poll....

Upcoming Turbine Mod 10: New Continent Content (also including half races).

Not sure about the 5 GiG download business, but they got FFXI to work on xbox, and that game is like 12 GB and takes three days to install(literally).

UnderwearModel
12-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Why did I go to Risia? I had noticed some buggy things coming to the LIVE server that were not caught on Risia and should have been. I figured that Risia needed more testers.

I was beginning to play more on Risia, a lot during the last month, when I needed a break from work, than on the LIVE server.

I was trying some new things on characters that I had learned on the LIVE server.

I liked the fact that I could play at my pace and not at the pace of the ever forceful zergers that join your PUG.

I enjoyed the fact that I would not be bothered by plat farmers.

Then this bombshell.

This could have been disseminated sooner so I would not have wasted my time on Risia.

Never once did I see a POPUP explaining something like this

"Dear User, RISIA will be going away. You can continue to play and test your characters and our content but we will be eliminating the server in the near future."

This would have been the adult thing to do so I could make a choice to play on that server or not to play on that server.

Nope. Nothing like that ever happened.

As a paying customer of two accounts I find this in the "almost ticking me off enough to quit" category. But not quite there.

I really do not like disingenuous people or services. DDO is beginning to feel that way more and more.

ThrasherGT
12-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Why did I go to Risia? I had noticed some buggy things coming to the LIVE server that were not caught on Risia and should have been. I figured that Risia needed more testers.

I was beginning to play more on Risia, a lot during the last month, when I needed a break from work, than on the LIVE server.

I was trying some new things on characters that I had learned on the LIVE server.

I liked the fact that I could play at my pace and not at the pace of the ever forceful zergers that join your PUG.

Then this bombshell.

This could have been disseminated sooner so I would not have wasted my time on Risia.

"Dear User, RISIA will be going away. You can continue to play and test your characters and our content but we will be eliminating the server in the near future."

This would have been the adult thing to do so I could make a choice to play on that server or not to play on that server.

As a paying customer of two accounts I find this in the "almost ticking me off enough to quit" category. But not quite there.

I really do not like disingenuous people or services. DDO is beginning to feel that way more and more.

Through Turbine's communications, I have always understood that Risia was never guaranteed to be permanent. Turbine has always said this. Risia was there to test out new content and find bugs. This is, as far as I know, the only purpose for it being there. Turbine has consistently said that it could be brought down anytime. You must have missed it when they said it.

NameisToad
12-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Is it at all possible that the new Risia and the new graphics engine will be used to update DDO from D&D 3.5 to D&D 4.0?

moorewr
12-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Is it at all possible that the new Risia and the new graphics engine will be used to update DDO from D&D 3.5 to D&D 4.0?

God I hope not.

Borror0
12-06-2008, 10:55 AM
If there is a thing both Turbine and WotC should have learnt from the failure of DDO is that something unknown by most, new and controversial isn't a good idea for an MMO.

Part of the failure to gather new players can be put on using Eberron as a setting. While I personally have nothing against Eberron, some players actually did. Especially the Warforged. They create a "Who put robots in my D&D?" kind of reaction on some players. 4th Edition would be similar to this, but in worse. 4th Edition is, like Eberron, quite a controversial choice. It doesn't fit in a lot of players' mind of what D&D is about. Between 3.5 and 4th Edition, the choice goes to 3.5 by a long shot. Especially among the current playerbase.

Not to mention that such a drastic change would be a bad thing for the game. Think of SWG's NGE.

So, let's hope not.

Coldin
12-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Interesting, to say the least.

I do hope Risia returns in at least some of the same capacity as it was before. Well, hopefully it will actually return with more functionality to adequately test and try the new content.

Steiner-Davion
12-06-2008, 01:46 PM
People it is time to think way outside the box here.

Forget everything you have wanted to see added to the game, and start to think of new things that can make the game better.

As for me I'm clueless as to what it could be. Maybe a server for each D&D Campaign setting thus truly different worlds...

But I highly doubt it.

VonBek
12-06-2008, 03:02 PM

They've taken the position that they will not rewrite the game to update it from 3.5 to 4.0. They have not ruled out adding elements from 4.0 to DDO, however.

Since they do not transfer current versions of player's live characters to Risia, maybe they're considering a way to let players on Risia roll/re-roll a character to a given level. /shrug

BattleCircle
12-06-2008, 03:15 PM
The question that first pops into my mind, after reading Tarrants post carefully, is....

If the new risia will not be compatible with the old, and we are asked to uninstall the current version of risia.... will a future mod or possible expansion of DDO be incompatible with the current live servers?

Next question is if this is in fact the case, will it be mod 9, or a future mod?

I almost have to believe that mod 9 is involved. Otherwise why the reference to the first of the year. And also as large a release as mod 9 is rumored to be would they actually release it with no player input what so ever from a test server? I think not....

What ever the powers that be have planned for DDO, I think this is going to be pretty big, and possibly very exciting.

Just some thoughts,

Tilliak
12-06-2008, 04:19 PM

Then this bombshell.

I think a bard will pull out a tiny fiddle for you. :rolleyes:

UnderwearModel
12-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Oh sure, I always read and saw that Risia was a server where nothing was static. Risia could be wiped or whatever. Fine. But has it ever been wiped in the recent past?

Just show me where Turbine mentioned that Risia was going away. One message please. One communiucation from them, please.

Direct X 10 contest. No mention that Risia will be going away.
Hirelings, no mention that Risia will be going away.
Popups when you bring up Risia, no mention that Risia will go away. Heck, just this week they were saying that Risia was having problems and they would see me in the game soon.

It is called lack of communication which leads to a lack of trust which leads to game frustration which leads to people leaving the game. Which I hope means fewer gold spams but that just does not seem to go away. But I can shut the shroud down.

Now, Turbine who was swamped with support calls about the SHroud just shuts it down. Hmmm, we have a problem we are getting too many calls and bug reports on this issue. Shall we A) turn off the spell? B) shut off that part of the application thereby improving our support call reutrn time.

You know, the end of the year is coming and maybe the support team is bonused on how fast they turn around support calls.

Oh well, I am going to get my cheese and a quarter so I can call someone who cares. I just do not know who that is. :>)

You know, the IP addresses of the gold spammers never really change and you know that Turbine knows all of our IP addresses. And yet, the spammers still get through to me. Which means the spammers pay more money than me.

Tilliak
12-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Oh sure, I always read and saw that Risia was a server where nothing was static. Risia could be wiped or whatever. Fine. But has it ever been wiped in the recent past?

Just show me where Turbine mentioned that Risia was going away. One message please. One communiucation from them, please.

Direct X 10 contest. No mention that Risia will be going away.
Hirelings, no mention that Risia will be going away.
Popups when you bring up Risia, no mention that Risia will go away. Heck, just this week they were saying that Risia was having problems and they would see me in the game soon.

It is called lack of communication which leads to a lack of trust which leads to game frustration which leads to people leaving the game. Which I hope means fewer gold spams but that just does not seem to go away. But I can shut the shroud down.

Now, Turbine who was swamped with support calls about the SHroud just shuts it down. Hmmm, we have a problem we are getting too many calls and bug reports on this issue. Shall we A) turn off the spell? B) shut off that part of the application thereby improving our support call reutrn time.

You know, the end of the year is coming and maybe the support team is bonused on how fast they turn around support calls.

Oh well, I am going to get my cheese and a quarter so I can call someone who cares. I just do not know who that is. :>)

You know, the IP addresses of the gold spammers never really change and you know that Turbine knows all of our IP addresses. And yet, the spammers still get through to me. Which means the spammers pay more money than me.

It should be noted that support doesn't disable anything in a game or any software. Support is just some poor schlub sitting in a cubicle listening to our rants when something doesn't go right and is barely making $10 per hour (or whatever the currency in India is). He/She lives in a 2 bedroom apartment with an obnocious roommate, is going to college part time, and has a 1.5 hour commute in sh***y traffic just to get to said cubicle. When he/she brings up that there is a problem and passes it on to the developers, it is usually ignored unless the problem is huge.

Then the DEVELOPERS come along and shut it off until they can fix it so people will place nice together.

query
12-07-2008, 04:06 PM
and DARN you Tolero for NOT saying more about the preview server when you mentioned changes to me weeks ago, DARN YOU TO HECK! :p

Oh well, I guess my cheese is Stilson with that whine :D

*begins de-instalation of Risa and mourns the 2 months left on the AH bids :p*

moorewr
12-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Stilton?

http://www.ubermong.com/popo/stilton.jpg

Voalkrynn2
12-08-2008, 05:24 AM
Would it be too much to ask that we get live toons copied over to the preview server? It's disappointing being continually unable to preview any content above level 5 as the purported Risia updates have continually missed my account.

Madhatternynja2007
12-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Secret Project?? I have one thing to say, IF you are porting it over to the 360, you better let me know now!! It will be the only way I can turn my addiction into my gf's addiction as well. She loaths the keyboard controls and if you did port it over, OMG she couldn't say no then.

Voalkrynn2
12-08-2008, 06:01 AM
I can live with Eberron, whatever that is.

I can deal with rules as long as these don't detract from game play.

Me: Hound of Xoriat prepare to DIE!
Hound: LOL you have a stack of throwing daggers, +2 full plate, a +3 haggle helm, and a docent you cannot wear!
Me: It's the best I could do....
Hound: LOL

I can't deal much longer with the screwed up loot tables. Rewards should be relevant in terms of the quest level/difficulty and for items that bind the race/class running the quest.

A +3 haggle helm and 5 sets of +2 full plate should not be the end reward options for The Pit on Elite. There is no logic associated with the docent that binds dropping in VON6 if a WF is not present in the raid.

Lorien_the_First_One
12-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Jesus Saves! ...& takes half damage.

Pfft... what kind of savior is that? Tell the boy to go get evasion.

ArkoHighStar
12-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Secret Project?? I have one thing to say, IF you are porting it over to the 360, you better let me know now!! It will be the only way I can turn my addiction into my gf's addiction as well. She loaths the keyboard controls and if you did port it over, OMG she couldn't say no then.

you know the game works with xbox 360 controllers now right?

Lorien_the_First_One
12-08-2008, 07:15 AM

Then this bombshell.

They have said since the merger that everything you have on Risia is subject to deletion at any time. Even if they hadn't said that, you would have been wise to understand that on a test server wipes to update from the live database and total corruption due to programming bugs are to be expected. If you have been on the forums you would also have seen many requests to wipe the chars and port over the ones from the current live servers.

Your expectations were completely unreasonable, Turbine has done nothing wrong here.

mhorn
12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
I would bet that it has something to do with this.

http://www.umbrasoftware.com/index.php?company&news=30

Seems like a new engine needs a new client no?

mhorn
12-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Then this bombshell.

Umm you didnt read the BIG message when you first bring up Risia that says that paraphrasing "This is a test server, characters are not to be considered permanent. Database wipes can and will occur."? Or do you not read things like that?

Deathseeker
12-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Jeez, talk about looking at the glass half empty...

People do nothing but whine Turbine isn't doing enough. Turbine takes down their TEST server to reload with something new and different. Instead of looking forward to long requested/awaited possible additions/changes, what do we see...moaning that the characters they built on the test server got wiped. Its a TEST server. Its for TESTING.

I know it's a small minority...but still really an amazing statement of what it takes to please everyone. Its simply impossible.

suitepotato
12-08-2008, 11:31 AM
No big deal. Hardly anyone was ever there, the toons are randomly copied, and the Risia content didn't seem to get patched along with the live content. It seemed slipshod at best.

I'm not even going to guess at what they plan to do with it.

Madhatternynja2007
12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
I know the 360 controller works with DDO now, however, it is still fluky and only partly works, you can't setup more than 4 things on hot bar to use on the controller, how effective is that?? It would work better if they made the game available on the 360 as the controls would work around that, not the other way around.

szalkerous
12-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I would bet that it has something to do with this.

http://www.umbrasoftware.com/index.php?company&news=30

Seems like a new engine needs a new client no?

That's a pretty cool occlusion engine.

I also found this: "Umbra is partnered with and integrated in BigWorld BW Suite, Emergent Gamebryo, Simutronics Hero Engine, and Epic Games Unreal Engine 3."

(PUH-LEASE tell me that Turbine isn't also going to the UE3. I've seen the disaster that results from that. I think all things considered the current engine is mighty fine.)

EDIT: Also noticed this while poking around the Umbra site: "Our state of the art middleware products are used by an increasing number of top notch titles such as Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings Online and Guild Wars 2."

Hmm, we maybe completely off on that one. I see no DDO in there. (Do they use the exact same underlying graphics engine?)

I know the 360 controller works with DDO now, however, it is still fluky and only partly works, you can't setup more than 4 things on hot bar to use on the controller, how effective is that?? It would work better if they made the game available on the 360 as the controls would work around that, not the other way around.

DDO + 360 = Disaster. This has been hashed before, but I'll throw my two thoughts into this as well: (1) Any console controller will severely limit reaction and flexibility, causing people to not want to party with consolers. (2) The 360 would bring a wealth of kids and idiots onto a playerbase of adults (many of which are very tactical and strategic) and ruin the game for a lot of people. I pray this is NOT the case. Give the 360 support to LOTRO.

szalkerous
12-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh, and a totally new client would be so amazingly exciting I can't even express it in words. Likelihood? Pretty low. Software companies don't like recreating what's already been done. More likely is that the client in going to change in a way the current patch system can't handle automatically.

Halidor
12-18-2008, 03:52 PM
God I hope not.

lol...that was my exact thought when I read the comment about switching to 4.0......then I read yours.

moorewr
12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
lol...that Was My Exact Thought When I Read The Comment About Switching To 4.0......then I Read Yours.

:p

Yertill
12-23-2008, 06:04 PM
My guess, based on outside sources.

Risia will become a FREE to play version of DDO.

Where you will use Micro-Transactions to purchase things like but not exclusive to New Armor types, weapon types and or graphic appearances, expanded game content. Like new areas and quests.

My source for this idea you ask ?

You may have seen my thread "survey reveals all" in DDO General.

One of the survey questions I answered refered to a similar scenario. Wether I might be more inclined to play DDO if it were free to play the base game with micro-transactions for other things within the game.

I want to remind you all; this is just my 2 cent guess, as I offer it up.

Ustice
02-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Are there any updates on what is happening with Risia with Mod 9 looming? Is this DDO project related, or completely separate?

iamsamoth0
02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Why did I go to Risia?...
Honestly I feel your pain...there is a copy of Haggyler(The Human one) that won't ever come back....;(
But, this statement maybe the most pertinent, they didn't want keep it down. It just poo-pooed.

... However, Murphy's Law of MMOs bit us with a hardware failure on Risia on Monday during our regular maintenance. Since the closure was already fast approaching, we re-evaluated our plans and have decided to leave Risia closed for the immediate future...

I think I made a boo-boo...
Did I make a mistake, or is it labelled wrongly?

Eyeballs worriedly...o.O

I feel your pain. Reinstalling the program can be tedious.
If you run back ups on your PC

Reiinstall the program. But once installed, you can restore the directory (usually "C:\Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach" ) from back up to skip the 65536 updates required to bring the game current.

If you don't run back ups, you just achieved another fine life lesson.

I was anxiously awaiting rez cakes myself....=)

And this part ^^ is for sure? There's no chance to recover the characters, maybe move them to another server?
I also have variant copies of my toons there. I don't play enough to sweat it. But, if there's any chance to recover the character data, I hope they would grant us the opportunity.

Guh.! =) Nothing can be done?

I've not seen Conan(or LoTR) running yet, but I hear nice things, and it comes up as a comparative at work. =)
But as always, I am anxiously awaiting any type of solid software that bears the name of Dungeons & Dragons.

aldan
02-09-2009, 12:37 PM
DDO 2.

time for a whole new game.

Bloodhaven
02-09-2009, 12:46 PM
DDO + 360 = Disaster. This has been hashed before, but I'll throw my two thoughts into this as well: (1) Any console controller will severely limit reaction and flexibility, causing people to not want to party with consolers. (2) The 360 would bring a wealth of kids and idiots onto a playerbase of adults (many of which are very tactical and strategic) and ruin the game for a lot of people. I pray this is NOT the case. Give the 360 support to LOTRO.

I know a couple players who use XBox360 style controllers to play DDO and they do a great job

Hafeal
02-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Didnt some high up, fancy guy tell us that DDO was not the platform being shipped to consoles?

You don't believe everything you read, do you? :eek:

If there is a thing both Turbine and WotC should have learnt from the failure of DDO is that something unknown by most, new and controversial isn't a good idea for an MMO.

Well to nit pick, I wouldn't call an MMO going on 3 years old with recent
investment in hardware and a major mod coming out a "failure."

The game has disappointments like anything in life, but I would call it a success overall - you are still playing after all. :D

Aspenor
02-09-2009, 01:21 PM
so i am going to assume by "the wait won't be long" you mean "we'll tell you sometime in 2012."

secondchance
02-09-2009, 02:00 PM

Part of the failure to gather new players can be put on using Eberron as a setting. While I personally have nothing against Eberron, some players actually did. Especially the Warforged. They create a "Who put robots in my D&D?" kind of reaction on some players. 4th Edition would be similar to this, but in worse. 4th Edition is, like Eberron, quite a controversial choice. It doesn't fit in a lot of players' mind of what D&D is about. Between 3.5 and 4th Edition, the choice goes to 3.5 by a long shot. Especially among the current playerbase.

Not to mention that such a drastic change would be a bad thing for the game. Think of SWG's NGE.

So, let's hope not.

borro why do you do this ????

how has the game failed???
casue you don't want to log in and play?

now I myself have been critial of the dev team from time to time but to call this game a failure is absurd sir...

for once in all let me repeat this

DDO is not dnd it is a game only based (loosely if you asked me) on dnd ...it's not turn based it's real time you can dodge arrows for god's sake how cool is that ???

and this is game is also not wow ...this is a nitche game....what we have now (subs) +/- maybe 5000 (more or less subs) or so folks is all this game will ever have .....that't it ......(read what I typed I know there are more than 5000 people playing I'm saying that our population will only grow or lose around 5000 and that't it)

and honestly borro if you don't like that...... if you can't stand a monk or ranger's ac is more than a dwarf w/ a shield, or you hate that a storm giant has 3500 hp or that everyone is walking aorund w/ greensteel weapons or if 1 lvl of rogue can disarm any trap or that someone w/ 2 weapons does more damage than a person w/ one than bro stop posting you alreday don't play

this is the game for better or worse ...stay and play and try to have fun pr just leave bro ....but saying DDO has failed casue of your own wants and dislike is insane

you kinow I don't like doing a raid and nothing drops but I still play.... I don't like that red named are immune to so much my fighters can do and were built to do (stunning blow and trip) but I play on ....it's a game man that's all most of us have fun playing it ....it seems you don't cause you can't get it out of your skull that rangers can have more than 1 role in a party or you think ac out of whack casue that monk hybrid is higher than a intim tank...big deal move on or don't ..... but don't say that this game that the rest of your guild and folks that visit this forum like ot play is a failure casue you don't .....

I mean unless I missed something you don't get the final say on if something is good or not...you do however get to make the call of if you want to be part of something or not ...

so buddy do me a favor ...be part of the game and move past these silly hang-ups or stop paying and stop posting

do one or the other man..but ddo is not a failure I don't like everything about it myself but it's far from a failure

Borror0
02-09-2009, 02:09 PM
now I myself have been critial of teh dev team from time to time but to call this game a failure is absurd sir...
I define failure as not living to the expectations Turbine and WotC has when releasing a D&D MMO.

DDO is great, but a more popular and less controversial setting would have had helped to its success. Personally, I love the Eberron setting, but I doubt Turbine would select Eberron a second time if they were offered to start over again. Not because Eberron is a bad setting, it's a great setting, but because it is less popular and more controversial.

Borror0
02-09-2009, 02:13 PM
The game has disappointments like anything in life, but I would call it a success overall - you are still playing after all. :D
You misunderstood the post. Read again and understand this: when taking a license like D&D, you expect a greater success than what DDO is.

In other words, DDO didn't meet its objective. In that regard, it's a failure. Not a total failure * la Tabula Rasa who is closing soon, but still a failure. Turbine expected more out of a 3.5 D&D MMO, I am sure. Not talking from a player viewpoint, but Turbine's. Some will say that this is a "niche game". I doubt Turbine designed the game as one.

secondchance
02-09-2009, 02:19 PM
I define failure as not living to the expectations Turbine and WotC has when releasing a D&D MMO.

so what expectation have they not lived up too??????

this is the bottom line

you want certian things from a class and race standpoint

those things are not in this game

you cry foul about it at every chance

so my question is borro how long are you going to bang your head against that stone wall.....

and something else just casue you or I don't agree or like something doesn't mean that every other person that pays to play this game see's it that way ....

it is what it is Borro somethings will change I'm sure only to be changed later it's the nature of this game it changes from time to time...but the changes you would like to see ain't happening(and not casue I say so btw) AC not getting reworked anytime soon, green steel not going away ...this is the game

and again I world like to know where they "failed" at living up to something ...when did that happend?

Borror0
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
so what expectation have they not lived up too??????
You really think that Turbine planned to have a playerbase of this size when they signed for a D&D MMO? Honestly?

The rest of your post has nothnig to do with what I said.

Deathseeker
02-09-2009, 02:59 PM
You really think that Turbine planned to have a playerbase of this size when they signed for a D&D MMO? Honestly?

The rest of your post has nothnig to do with what I said.

I think you are somewhat casting this into a black or white, succeed or fail measurement. I don't think its quite that clear.

I definitely would agree that DDO could not possibly be living up to the initial expectations of subscriber base. So from that standpoint, yes, a "failure".

But in terms of a business entity? I doubt its considered a failure. In terms of an MMO in general? I doubt it's a failure.

Is it a wild success? Of course not. But I think this is a case where it falls somewhere in between. It's likely a marginally profitable, niche MMO, that has a mid-sized subscriber base that is fairly stable in size. In the overall world of MMO's, that's probably a success. In the world of something with the name "D&D" attached to it...probably a result that is below expectations. By itself, it might be struggling to survive. But with the company's overhead covered by Lotro as well, and a huge influx of cash for Harry Potter, I think anything that has incremental subscriptions on top of those bases is now considered "successful".

And Im sure those were all rationales used by Turbine's management when explaining to investors the initial disappointing returns 1 year after launch :)

Thats all from a business perspective. As a customer, after 3 years...I personally find it wildly successful! Its certainly kept my attention!

secondchance
02-09-2009, 03:02 PM

well if the game was a failure (ie no profit or not enough) I'm sure turbine would do what a lot of companie are doing lately ....close

this game does have a healtly player base it may not be growing anymore but it's also not getting smaller

failure is game over borro ...we ain't there yet ....it ain't a failure cause you don't like certian aspects of it

Borror0
02-09-2009, 03:18 PM
failure is game over borro
Not in the post you quoted. I defined as failure as 'not meeting its goals'. Now, quit arguing with me.

Borror0
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I think you are somewhat casting this into a black or white, succeed or fail measurement. I don't think its quite that clear.
Failure or success. It's a dichotomy.

Did DDO meet its goals? Yes or no. That's all. A "No, but it's still holding on and isn't a total failure" is still a no.

I definitely would agree that DDO could not possibly be living up to the initial expectations of subscriber base. So from that standpoint, yes, a "failure".
That was what I meant by failure of DDO. Trying to argue with me that DDO is not a failure using any other definition is idiotic.

Thats all from a business perspective. As a customer, after 3 years...I personally find it wildly successful! Its certainly kept my attention!
Not disagreeing.

Hafeal
02-09-2009, 09:17 PM
In other words, DDO didn't meet its objective. In that regard, it's a failure. Not a total failure * la Tabula Rasa who is closing soon, but still a failure. Turbine expected more out of a 3.5 D&D MMO, I am sure. Not talking from a player viewpoint, but Turbine's. Some will say that this is a "niche game". I doubt Turbine designed the game as one.

Oh, I dunno, I think objectives have been met.

I think it might be fairer to say Turbine has not met your expectations of what you thought a pnp translation to MMO would be.

I think many pnpers, current or former, overstate how popular the game was (or is) out of their own bias. I think your bias, and expectation, have led you to term DDO as a failure when it clearly is not.

For me, with no 3.5 xp, as a Greyhawk refugee, DDO is a wonderful modern extension of the imagination. Further, Turbine has updated the game and continues to strive to make it better.

:)

Borror0
02-10-2009, 01:12 AM
I think it might be fairer to say Turbine has not met your expectations of what you thought a pnp translation to MMO would be.
No. It wouldn't be fairer. That's a poor assumption.

All the people on these forums who think they got me "all figured out" are making laugh so much. They're not even close.

Ustice
02-10-2009, 07:15 AM
My guess is that if you ask the people at Turbine if DDO was a failure, they would say no. Sure it wasn't a home-run, but it is making enough to continue development. It's paying the bills while having fun. Shareholder are getting paid.

Could DDO have done better? Sure. Also, don't fall far the false assumption that DDO can never do better than it is currently. After almost 3 years on the market it still has features that you can't find in the MMO market, and is still continuing to improve. My guess is that with the right direction and the right marketing, DDO can still live up to it's initial high aspirations.

As for me personally, DDO hasn't been QUITE the D&D experience I expected, but I don't think that any game ever can be (although if custom content were implemented with some great content generation tools, that might be a bit closer). That being said, it is a great game, and I love playing. So, I'm going to keep playing and having fun. :)

Borror0
02-10-2009, 08:06 AM
My guess is that if you ask the people at Turbine if DDO was a failure, they would say no.
Except that is not what I am saying either.

If you look at the context, my use of failure makes more sense. People just took it out of context and thinks I am saying "DDO is a failure". That's not what I said. I said that DDO failed to meet its promises, as a D&D MMO, and part of that is to blame on the setting choice.

If anyone wants to argue that "DDO is still a success", have all the fun you want. I won't disagree.

secondchance
02-10-2009, 08:15 AM
bro I do thik your back tracking a bit ... you've been called a stick in the mud and your defending that I'm not in mud??

you have a lot of posts that have this favor

"the game is terrible becasue X"

"there no balance becasue of Y"

"x being able to do that is stupid"

"my z should be better than xy"

and quite honnestly if anyone disagree's with you you are lik e"my god where are you comming from and are you serious"

mean while as your guildie and friend I know it's been weeks since you even logged in...

bro back away take a deep breath and do what ever it is you need to do to relax you could at least log in and help us w/ abbot flagging