PDA

View Full Version : Enter the Kobold puzzle

Shyver
12-04-2008, 11:33 AM
When trying to help someone through the puzzle by giving them directions, please keep in mind that the colors of the crystals and fields are different for each person.

Some might have already known this,( so I appologize if this is a duplicate thread) but we didn't until this morning when I was telling Zip which spot to hit and he was telling me I needed to get my eyes checked because I was either color blind or flunked my colors in kindergarden. :p

Really this is a bad design as it's much easier to tell someone a color/field to hit than it is to tell them it's the one on the left (who's left?) or the it's the one in the NE corner of the room. (How many groups have we been in where people don't know how to read a map?)

My Screenshot
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z120/Shyv_DDO/ScreenShot00025.jpg

Zippers' Screenshot
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z120/Shyv_DDO/screenshot00049gf7.jpg

tihocan
12-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Aren't crystal colors the same?

Shyver
12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Aren't crystal colors the same?

Yes, but there can be multiple crystals that are the same color in a room. The field around it makes it unique, it should be the same for each person to make navigation easier if you have to help someone out.

Aranticus
12-04-2008, 11:42 AM
the crystals ports you around like how a chest knight would move. i find it very easy if anyone who does not know the puzzle to stand at the start point. after the puzzle is done, show them how to get to the chest so that they know how it actually works. the other thing to take note of is to light up the pressure plate before exiting a room. follow these and one can solve it easily

Shyver
12-04-2008, 11:48 AM
the crystals ports you around like how a chest knight would move. i find it very easy if anyone who does not know the puzzle to stand at the start point. after the puzzle is done, show them how to get to the chest so that they know how it actually works. the other thing to take note of is to light up the pressure plate before exiting a room. follow these and one can solve it easily

Yeah I know how to move around the puzzle (I've solo'd this on my ranger) but many a PuG won't stand idly by while someone else does the puzzle for them. So in order to give people better direction if they ask for it, it would have been nice if the puzzle "looked" the same for each person.

stockwizard5
12-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't use the colors when helping people through the puzzle ...

I stick with North Right, North Left, etc and since the colors are irrellevent I guess I am ok having them as an interesting distraction when we first figured it out?

Shyver
12-04-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't use the colors when helping people through the puzzle ...

I stick with North Right, North Left, etc and since the colors are irrellevent I guess I am ok having them as an interesting distraction when we first figured it out?

Yeah, unfortunatly very few in AtD have run the new quests since the armor for most is a "eh, I guess I might use it" where as the Shroud is "I need this" so the shroud going down has been the motivation for just about everyone to get into the new quests. (sad but true)

So many are still figuring it out. I imagine this same scenario is playing out amongst many guilds.

dameron
12-04-2008, 12:52 PM
This is why I hate some of the dungeons.

If I wanted to play a puzzle game I'd buy a "Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island".

Garth_of_Sarlona
12-04-2008, 12:54 PM
apparently the colors depends on whether you're running dx10 or dx9

Probably better to stick to just explaining how the puzzle works than telling them to step on particular colors.

Garth

moorewr
12-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Incidentally:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight's_tour

kinar
12-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm fairly certain the colors change each time someone uses the gems. At least I know that I've been able to go immediately back to the same room in the puxxle and have a different set of lights displayed than when I was just there.

Since the lights have nothing to do with the puzzle, this was obviously intended and you need to start explaining to people how the puzzle works instead of trying to direct them by color.

Mindspat
12-04-2008, 02:17 PM
It seems easier to use the pattern of how you move rather then the crystal's color to determine where you're going to end up.

You always move 2 spaces forward. You move either right or left depending on chosing the right or left crystal. I think it takes 3-4 moves to get through the puzzle.

negative
12-04-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm fairly certain the colors change each time someone uses the gems. At least I know that I've been able to go immediately back to the same room in the puxxle and have a different set of lights displayed than when I was just there.

Since the lights have nothing to do with the puzzle, this was obviously intended and you need to start explaining to people how the puzzle works instead of trying to direct them by color.

Bingo! The color's are a red herring. They change everytime you teleport, and they are different for all members of the party, partly because of this. It's obviously done to confuse us and divert our attention away from how the maze actually functions (you move like a chess knight), thus making it harder to solve the puzzle.

Please don't remove this feature, it will make the puzzle less interesting. I was going to say too easy, but that might not be true.

Edit: To be honest, if the colors didn't change, it may have taken me LONGER to solve the puzzle.

Shyver
12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Again, I know how to solve the puzzle and I do not use the lights for it. I was simply stating that it would be a nice way to guide others through the puzzle.

Because let's be honest there are a lot of directionaly challenged people in the game and even more that either don't like puzzles or just aren't good at them. And then there is the group of people that have no interest in learning how to do them themselves. (Different topic all together)

If the colors/fields were the same for each group (can change each time you enter the quest to keep the crystals/fields random per run) it would be easier to guide people through the puzzle using color que's which people understand and recognize much quicker and better than map directions.

Gadget2775
12-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm confused...Wouldn't it be simplest to have someone who knows the puzzle actually GUIDE others through? Maybe play a game of follow the leader? :D

RigorAdar
12-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I've Pugged this a lot since it came out and its for some reason or another difficult for some people to distinguish north, south, east, and west.

Also as far as leading peeps step by step sometimes its hard for them to see which stone you stepped on.

Gadget2775
12-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I've Pugged this a lot since it came out and its for some reason or another difficult for some people to distinguish north, south, east, and west.

Also as far as leading peeps step by step sometimes its hard for them to see which stone you stepped on.

Durn you! No intruding on my attempts at humor with reality! :)

Bronko
12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
When trying to help someone through the puzzle by giving them directions, please keep in mind that the colors of the crystals and fields are different for each person.

Some might have already known this,( so I appologize if this is a duplicate thread) but we didn't until this morning when I was telling Zip which spot to hit and he was telling me I needed to get my eyes checked because I was either color blind or flunked my colors in kindergarden. :p

Really this is a bad design as it's much easier to tell someone a color/field to hit than it is to tell them it's the one on the left (who's left?) or the it's the one in the NE corner of the room. (How many groups have we been in where people don't know how to read a map?)

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but...

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=162475

This is a lot easier than a map. Hope it helps. :)

nbhs275
12-04-2008, 10:58 PM
This is why I hate some of the dungeons.

If I wanted to play a puzzle game I'd buy a "Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island".

Boo ****in woo. "i have to spend thirty seconds using my brain! I may die!" Get over it.

sirgog
12-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I like to guide people by using compass points - nor-nor-west; east-nor-east, sou-sou-east, etc. But the thing that makes that hard is that each time you land in a new room, you get spun around substantially.

negative
12-05-2008, 04:05 PM
I like to guide people by using compass points - nor-nor-west; east-nor-east, sou-sou-east, etc. But the thing that makes that hard is that each time you land in a new room, you get spun around substantially.

Being spun around is also probably on purpose, again, to extend the time it takes to solve the puzzle.

Dirac
12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Being spun around is also probably on purpose, again, to extend the time it takes to solve the puzzle.

It is the spinning that gets me. Once I realized that it was a pseudo-"knights tour" puzzle, I thought no problem. But when you work out variations on the chessboard, you don't turn to face a different direction each time you move. Not a serious problem, but it slows me down a lot.

And a classic knights tour requires landing on each square only once, which has no solution for a grid this small.