PDA

View Full Version : Devs: Is there a technical reason for no greensteel hndwraps,or is it something else?

Mhykke
11-26-2008, 02:45 PM
I was just wondering if greensteel handwraps aren't in the game b/c of technical issues, or b/c of a decision made by the devs for some reason?

If technical, that's fine, I'll just wait till it's resolved.

But if it's a decision by the devs, it'd be nice to know, so that we can adjust our monks accordingly.

I really enjoy my monk, but no greensteel handwraps (transmuting) is a big minus from my enjoyment. I'd love to know if greensteel wraps are ever expected.

Thank u...

Dracolich
11-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Probably a combination of crafting one handwrap essentially gives you two weapons. TWFs cry over that one and maybe rightly so. It is a double edged sword, you get two for one but you dont get the veriety you could have with two.

Also the issue of the wraps buff the monk and are not considered weapons. All the algorythms that the greensteel can produce is probably causing a nightmare to make effective on a monk.

Also they still have not fixed all the other handwraps and items that help combat IE spectral gauntlets and ethereal bracers still do not work with handwraps.

My guess is they hope we just swollow the turd and be thankfull we got something even if its broke its better then nothing. Thats my take on it.

Garth_of_Sarlona
11-26-2008, 02:58 PM
It would be nice if they added transmuting handwraps to the loot tables in the meantime. Indeed, the lack of transmuting handwraps indicates to me that it's perhaps a technical issue, but I'm just guessing.

Garth

Delt
11-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Probably a combination of crafting one handwrap essentially gives you two weapons. TWFs cry over that one and maybe rightly so. It is a double edged sword, you get two for one but you dont get the veriety you could have with two.

Also the issue of the wraps buff the monk and are not considered weapons. All the algorythms that the greensteel can produce is probably causing a nightmare to make effective on a monk.

Also they still have not fixed all the other handwraps and items that help combat IE spectral gauntlets and ethereal bracers still do not work with handwraps.

My guess is they hope we just swollow the turd and be thankfull we got something even if its broke its better then nothing. Thats my take on it.

I agree with much of what you said, particularly in regards to other handwraps still being bugged, thus there is likely a technical reason behind the lack of craftable handwraps.

I don't agree that TWF's would complain though. Handwraps taking up both slots is as much a detriment as it is a boon. It costs more ingreds for TWF's sure, but they pull in waaaay more benefit. About the only place I can see it helping monks more is Mineral...but come on, monks aren't exactly pumping out raw dps (plus, most would want +4 ac, further depleting the dps output and options).

Personally, I hope they toss monks a bone sooner rather than later. If not in the shroud, then somewhere else...hell, let me take some scissors to a DT robe and wrap that **** around my fists :)

WeaselKing
11-26-2008, 03:11 PM
I think there is a technical reason about the weapon effects being applied to the weapon but when the weapon is you it gets trickier.

Also don't you kinda get 4 weapons in one since you use your feet too?

Draclaud
11-26-2008, 05:19 PM
I would imagine that it has to do with greensteel upping the base damage die. With monk unarmed attack damage die based on monk levels I imagine it'd be a coding nightmare to deal with the monk level+green steel+other variables=damage. The only way I could see them doing it is if it added effects only and did not change the base damage, but then the uproar about how monks are being screwed on greensteel blah blah blah... Yah I see why they just didn't go down that road to begin with.

WeaselKing
11-26-2008, 05:29 PM
I would imagine that it has to do with greensteel upping the base damage die. With monk unarmed attack damage die based on monk levels I imagine it'd be a coding nightmare to deal with the monk level+green steel+other variables=damage. The only way I could see them doing it is if it added effects only and did not change the base damage, but then the uproar about how monks are being screwed on greensteel blah blah blah... Yah I see why they just didn't go down that road to begin with.

Oo, I hadn't thought of the base damage thing, bet that is an issue as well, though I am sure that most monks out there would forgo extra base damage as long as they got their mineral II or Lightning II or whatever.

Dracolich
11-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Oo, I hadn't thought of the base damage thing, bet that is an issue as well, though I am sure that most monks out there would forgo extra base damage as long as they got their mineral II or Lightning II or whatever.

That is true, but I bet they would only forgo it for one patch. Then after a month the uproars would start rolling in. The thirst for power is only placated so long then the dark side takes over :D

query
11-26-2008, 05:32 PM
I'll tell you why:

They hate monks.

All of 'em.

They realized what they did and...well, they can't take back the class.

Yep, they also are artificially keeping the DPS low....

and seriously, the answer was given...whether you choose to accept that or not is your decision. Short of you hunting down every post in Dev tracker, I doubt you'll get any more info.

Jadeare
11-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I'll tell you why:

They hate monks.

All of 'em.

Me too, I hate monks. All of 'em.

I would however consider monks ok if the DEVS gave them GS hand wraps at the same time as muting their microphone. That would be good.

Give Monks GS and mute their microphones!!!

Mhykke
12-01-2008, 09:00 AM
In thinking about it, my problem w/ the no greensteel/transmuting handwraps thing is this:

The devs have spent all this time creating a new class w/ its own unique combat animation. And that class is an absolute blast to play at low/mid levels. I'm having a great time with it. But that fun would drastically decrease if I have to switch to a combat style like all my other characters.

I would love to be able to keep the barehanded fighting animation. Would hope the devs want to add greensteel wraps someday. Even if it's not for a while, I hope we can get an answer that they do plan to add them eventually.

Josh
12-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Unfortunately, it's probably the same reason we have had broken beholders for 2+ years. They can't figure out how to do it.

Mhykke
12-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Unfortunately, it's probably the same reason we have had broken beholders for 2+ years. They can't figure out how to do it.

Yeah, hopefully they're still working on it and can come up with something, b/c now that I'm getting to higher levels, I find I care about playing him less b/c I just don't want to swap to kamas or quarterstaffs.

Tin_Dragon
12-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Which is also Probably why Warforged dont get Battle Fists atm, do to the damage scaling up 1 size category for Flurry.

Although, I STILL WANT THEM, so I can have a Monk FLURRY WoP, how you say? Battle fists do PIERCING damage. Oh yes, WF monk FTW!

Just imagine, 2d12 base damage AND WoP, mmmmmm mmmmmm killicious!

GlassCannon
12-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I was just wondering if greensteel handwraps aren't in the game b/c of technical issues, or b/c of a decision made by the devs for some reason?

If technical, that's fine, I'll just wait till it's resolved.

But if it's a decision by the devs, it'd be nice to know, so that we can adjust our monks accordingly.

I really enjoy my monk, but no greensteel handwraps (transmuting) is a big minus from my enjoyment. I'd love to know if greensteel wraps are ever expected.

Thank u...

A re-list of the initial topic. We have yet to see a DEVELOPER post regarding the wraps, and not a bunch on player banter about whatnot that just pads the thread and adds to the 'junk posts' that eat Dev time up when they lurk the forums. Leave the ideas to an Idea thread and let's get a question answered.

Mhykke
12-01-2008, 01:56 PM
A re-list of the initial topic. We have yet to see a DEVELOPER post regarding the wraps, and not a bunch on player banter about whatnot that just pads the thread and adds to the 'junk posts' that eat Dev time up when they lurk the forums. Leave the ideas to an Idea thread and let's get a question answered.

:confused:

What initial topic?