PDA

View Full Version : Hirelings Visit For Thanksgiving!

Tolero
11-26-2008, 11:25 AM
We've received many inquiries about the Hirelings since the last preview. So, by popular demand, we're going to bring out the Hirelings for the duration of the holiday weekend! Starting Wednesday, November 26th at 2:00 PM EST (-5 GMT) until Monday morning, Hireling vendors will reappear in the game world and Hireling contracts will once again be active. No changes have been made to the Hirelings for this event; be sure to read the Known Issues (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=150534) prior to hiring a Hireling this weekend!

We'd like to thank the community for all the feedback that's been provided during the recent Hireling previews! Your participation has been very helpful to the developers as they make revisions to the Hirelings! Curious about future Hireling changes? Here is a sneak peak at some of the changes coming to Hirelings in the next patch, thanks to the help of the player base! These changes will be part of the next Hireling event in December:

Remember that the below changes will not yet be available for this weekend's Hireling festivities.

Hireling contracts will no longer work on a timer system. Instead, all Hireling contracts will be one-use, and you can carry the contract for as long as you want until you need it! Once summoned, your Hirleing will stay with you until you enter a public area. You will still only be able to summon one Hireling between rests, and if you dismiss your Hireling or enter a public space, you'll need to rest before you can summon the next one with another contract.
Contract prices will also be significantly reduced. Hiring your Hireling will be more affordable than ever before!
High level Hireling vendors will be available in more locations
Hirelings will support a "Defensive" command, in addition to "Passive" and "Aggressive" commands. Defensive mode will be the new default for all Hirelings when they enter your party. In Defensive mode, Hirelings will remain Passive until enemies attack them or their master first, at which point they become active to heal (if applicable) and engage in the fight.
Improvements have been made to Cleric Hirelings. They will be more concerned with healing both themselves and their master. They will also be more responsive to explicit Healing commands.
Many bugs were able to be fixed related to Hirelings; the full list will be available in patch release notes.

Remember that the above changes will not yet be available for this weekend's Hireling festivities. Once the changes are available in game, these and other Hireling changes will be posted to the patch release notes.

Participation in Hireling events is strictly voluntary. We ask that users experiencing any game issues as a result of Hirelings submit a bug report, as Customer Service will be unable to assist with Hireling related issues. Be sure to include the name of your Hireling! Changes and bug fixes for the Hirelings will be included in the December game patch.

We thank you again for your help with the Hirelings, and hope you enjoy the opportunity to play with Hirelings for the weekend!

AMERON
11-26-2008, 11:38 AM
nice.....

Solmage
11-26-2008, 11:52 AM
YAY!!!

One quick question, did you guys improve the casters and clerics concentration checks, or even added the quicken feat to some of the hirelings, so that their casting doesn't get interrupted as much when they have aggro?

Ahh heck, I'll just add my other top 3 questions:

Did you guys also by any chance add mass heal to higher level clerics as a commandable option?

If I tell my hireling to DV caster x, does he automatically keep using DVs until he runs out without me requiring to click on it over and over? Heck if I'm a caster, would he DV me automatically when I'm out of mana or close to out of mana? (I noticed some hirelings had the DV enhancement but not a button to tell them to DV..)

Did you guys improve the targeting AI so that skeletal undead won't be attacked with cones of cold and CKs?

Anyway, just wanted to again say awesome! Really missed my hirelings :)

Shima-ra
11-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Yessssss

Before she boards the ship.
Tell Natasha to bring some candy canes and cupcakes.

Deuce
11-26-2008, 12:09 PM
SWEET!!! Thank you very, very much!

akla_thornfist
11-26-2008, 12:12 PM
big thumbs up, wtg turbine team and happy thanksgiving.

Galvis
11-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Quick question: I was wondering if the WF Sorc loaded up the Repair Spell.... I was kind of disappointed when I rented him for my WF Barb and he didn't come equiped with a repair spell. It was the reason I went with the WF sorc instead of the Fleshy Wizard.

WeaselKing
11-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Quick question: I was wondering if the WF Sorc loaded up the Repair Spell.... I was kind of disappointed when I rented him for my WF Barb and he didn't come equiped with a repair spell. It was the reason I went with the WF sorc instead of the Fleshy Wizard.

/Signed

We should really have a arcane hireling that specializes in WF repair, lord knows none of these PC fleshie casters ever do it.

Beherit_Baphomar
11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
/Signed

We should really have a arcane hireling that specializes in WF repair, lord knows none of these PC fleshie casters ever do it.

Or we could let all warforged die and rust away.......

HEY! Im just giving other alternatives..........

Korvek
11-26-2008, 01:08 PM
[LIST]
Hireling contracts will no longer work on a timer system. Instead, all Hireling contracts will be one-use, and you can carry the contract for as long as you want until you need it! Once summoned, your Hirleing will stay with you until you enter a public area. You will still only be able to summon one Hireling between rests, and if you dismiss your Hireling or enter a public space, you'll need to rest before you can summon the next one with another contract.

Aww, that will make things a bit frustrating in Delera's and Catacombs probably.

Tolero
11-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Aww, that will make things a bit frustrating in Delera's and Catacombs probably.

Yeah we figured that those quest chains would be a bit trickier due to the public space, hence the lowered contract prices :)

Post Script: On the up side, you don't have to worry about cramming the entire quest chain in in an hour, you can just carry as many as you need for the trip and use them at your leisure.

MrCow
11-26-2008, 01:23 PM
we're going to bring out the Hirelings for the duration of the holiday weekend! Starting Wednesday, November 26th at 2:00 PM EST (-5 GMT) until Monday morning

Anyone else planning to have a feast of roasted hirelings? :D

Kraki
11-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Is a Contract Binder (Journal, Folio whatever you want to name it) which we can throw all the contracts into a possibility since you're seeing us as having multiple contracts floating around in inventory?

Something to think about.

Kraki

Dungnmaster001
11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Is a Contract Binder (Journal, Folio whatever you want to name it) which we can throw all the contracts into a possibility since you're seeing us as having multiple contracts floating around in inventory?

Something to think about.

Kraki

Or allowing them to stack since they're essentially one-shot scrolls of summon hireling. That would save inventory space unless you carry multiple types or various levels around at the same time. As long as they're the same contract (i.e. they summon the same hireling) they should stack I think.

PurdueDave
11-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Anyone else planning to have a feast of roasted hirelings? :D

Absolutely. Purge the Heretics on elite should do nicely for starters.:D

Kraki
11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Functionally, it sounds like you're right but I think they're a bit more complex since they have a clicky effect that has a global timer(per character) set for all contracts?

At least that's what it sounded like to me, we won't be able to summon ANY other hireling without resting.

I don't know that we have any item with a clicky effect that stacks, I sure can't think of anything.

If we could just toss em into a "book" or something that'd be cool by me.

Kraki

Thelmallen
11-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the holiday present, Turbine! Now, about the incredibly limited spell selection.....:p

Dungnmaster001
11-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Functionally, it sounds like you're right but I think they're a bit more complex since they have a clicky effect that has a global timer(per character) set for all contracts?

At least that's what it sounded like to me, we won't be able to summon ANY other hireling without resting.

I don't know that we have any item with a clicky effect that stacks, I sure can't think of anything.

If we could just toss em into a "book" or something that'd be cool by me.

Kraki

You're probably right. I know nothing about coding so it may not be possible, but the way I'd have done it is make the contracts like scrolls (1 use, stackable) but have it check before casting if there's a hireling already summoned by the user.

/shrug.

Taurnish
11-26-2008, 02:11 PM
I appreciate the Thanksgiving time with hirelings. Thanks again DDO Team. The idea mentioned above about a binder so you can purchase multiple contracts is a good idea, thus taking up less space in the inventory.

query
11-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Jacked contracts on your windowsill.......

nahh, doesn't have that right ring to it......

and PLEASE, what are you going to do when you summon the hireling and FORGET to take the contract out of the binder?

Look how long it took just to get them to remember to get the collectables OUT of the bags when others were outside also......

Then again, we could start a new pasttime of "Pressed hirelings" since that kill butterflies thing is SO passe' now :D

Boldrin
11-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Why are we even having hirelings, they're really a waste of developmental funds and time in my eyes.

Dungnmaster001
11-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Why are we even having hirelings, they're really a waste of developmental funds and time in my eyes.

Because they are useful to people who can't solo effectively on their own. Squishy casters can use the melee types as disposable meatshields. Not as good as a real PC fighter of course but it's better than nothing when groups are scarce.

I use the low level clerics because they're cheaper than the pots I'd have used otherwise. The only problems I have with them are the constant zerging if they aren't in passive mode. When the planned changes happen they should be more survivable.

One bit of feedback though. If I'm soloing with a hireling and we both die with no way to get to a shrine, when I recall the quest resets immediately (instead of the normal 5 minutes) since the hireling being dismissed from party on exit causes the group to disband. Really sucks sometimes.

Elaril
11-27-2008, 12:39 PM
One bit of feedback though. If I'm soloing with a hireling and we both die with no way to get to a shrine, when I recall the quest resets immediately (instead of the normal 5 minutes) since the hireling being dismissed from party on exit causes the group to disband. Really sucks sometimes.

LoL, stop dying then. :D

Dungnmaster001
11-27-2008, 12:43 PM

Also just because they are a waste to you doesn't mean they're a waste to everyone. For example I've never raided. At all (except for TS which I never really thought of as a raid) so Every raid they put in the game is pretty much a waste for me.

That doesn't mean I'll complain when they add one though since I know there are many others who do need/want them in the game. Same with crafting and pvp, more things I've never done and probably won't do much if at all. Is that a waste? For me: Yes. For most others: No.

Devs can't please everyone and anything they add will have varying results in the opinions of the players.

Dungnmaster001
11-27-2008, 12:44 PM
LoL, stop dying then. :D

D'oh! why didn't I think of that ;) I'll get right on it.

Thaegon
11-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Greetings!

I'd just like to give a word of thanks for adding this fantastic system. Like many others my play time is limited and I can't always group, and this gives me much more incentive to play. I've always loved DDO for thinking outside the MMO cookie cutter, but never played much due to the lack of solo-ability.

Can't wait for it to become a permanent part of the game. Keep up the good work. I know it's been a rocky road for DDO, but things like this will ensure a strong and happy dedicated core player base.

Donnie
11-27-2008, 09:29 PM

If that's the case I can see that being a big problem. Hopefully it gets sorted out.

Dragonhyde
11-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I am admittedly a bit behind the times on the hirelings are there only certain classes available?

Strakeln
11-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Post Script: On the up side, you don't have to worry about cramming the entire quest chain in in an hour, you can just carry as many as you need for the trip and use them at your leisure.Are you folks considering making them unbound? I, uh, know a shopkeeper who is rather unhappy with the Coin Lord's monopoly on hirelings.

Tolero
11-28-2008, 11:16 AM

This is one of the bugs we're fixing in the patch actually :)

greystone306
11-28-2008, 03:51 PM

for now, you just have to remember to dismiss your dead hireling before recalling..then the area wont reset..

Dungnmaster001
11-28-2008, 03:55 PM
for now, you just have to remember to dismiss your dead hireling before recalling..then the area wont reset..

Didn't think of that. Thanks ;)

Solmage
11-29-2008, 12:59 AM
This is one of the bugs we're fixing in the patch actually :)

Noooooo that's not a bug it's a feature!! Just because some .....people.. can't remember to just dismiss their hirelings before recalling, does this mean all of us who ***LOVED*** their ability to reset an instance will be forced to go back to having to wait 5 minutes? =(

Artagon
11-29-2008, 06:35 AM
uh... so dismiss your hireling real quick when you leave... ?

vainangel
11-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Issue
I hired 2 this past Wednesday.

One from Meridia and the other From GH.

The Lvl 16 Cleric was a very welcome member of the party.
Issue? She has DV's, but when she is out, in place of telling us she is out... she says something like 'I understand' as if she is going to cast it again.
It would be nice for them to tell us they are out of something like that.

Then the lower level Cleric had Greater Dispel and no DV's...
It would be SUPER Nice to have a small list of spells they might have! Similar to the pages of info we see on a weapon.

Last
The lower Level Cleric would not use the rez Shrine. We had his stone, I gave the command. Nothing. He just stood there like a AFK and did nothing. I had to dismiss him from the party.

To add to the confusion... MOBS know how to walk around to get to a group. How is it the Heirelings are so stupid that they will just stand there if you fall? They could just run down the ramp and come around to you... right?

Overall happy with them. The interface is simple, but obviously the commands need a tweak and it would be nice to know the abilities of who we are paying for before we summon them.

:)

Quanefel
11-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I hired a high level human mage to run GH chests the other day and found something odd. He was shooting at things randomly...with a longbow. Why?

vainangel
11-30-2008, 08:39 AM
So Me and my friend each hire one for Deleras. Summon them when we enter. Everything A-OK
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/vainangel/ScreenShot00546.jpg

Until we got to our first fight.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/vainangel/ScreenShot00547.jpg

They simply did nothing. NOTHING. They just fell over and died right at the first fight.
We recalled, the contract came back like a clickie and reentry...then for some reason they worked. Not well, but they worked.

We are not sure if they do not like Deleras, if there was some kind of glitch in where we summoned them... or what...but them not taking any actions at all and then DEAD!

I also must again request we get a spell list/ability list for these guys. I hired the Sorc in hopes she would have something for us WF. Nope... not even the will to fight.

After this we went to other characters and hired some clerics.
Now those guys know how to PUG! We changed to other characters and went to do some WW. They healed us as we fought and they fought as well! I wish I would have taken some screens. They worked very well.

Unless they are in Searing Heights...I dropped the hireling I had and decided to LFM for Searing Heights. The first person I invited brought in a Cleric Hireling [w/o asking something that should be changed because he would nto remove her from the party when we started filling up and as party leader I could not remove her and he simply refused until the rest of the party got him to drop her]...she died while he was on his way to me, did not carry her stone. She was useless as she did not heal or do much of anything. I wish I could remember the name of the cleric. my main complaint is that she was brought into the party w/o me as party leader having anything to say about it.

I like what these Hirelings are for, do not like some of the execution and the buggy actions are frustrating when the caster doesn't cast or the healer doesn't heal... more so when the party members can bring them in whenever...could we make it so Party Leaders can still fill spots of the hirelings, when the spot is filled the hireling leaves?

Lorien_the_First_One
11-30-2008, 11:56 AM

Umm...then why did the two I bought this weekend have a 59 min timer and why did the timer run out and they disappeared from my backpack? (A L5 caster and L5 cleric, sorry I don't recall the names, they disppeared before I used them so I didn't have the note pad ready)

Dungnmaster001
11-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Umm...then why did the two I bought this weekend have a 59 min timer and why did the timer run out and they disappeared from my backpack? (A L5 caster and L5 cleric, sorry I don't recall the names, they disppeared before I used them so I didn't have the note pad ready)

If you read the whole post it says these changes haven't gone in yet. She was just letting us know how our feedback so far has changed things.

query
11-30-2008, 02:07 PM
"Darn it, all the CONTINENT will be blown to Kyber unless we send some fanatic sacrifices to that mummy in the Desert!....

What's that, cleric hirelings? Don't summon until the end? Will six do? Okay, tell the adventurers to summon them one at a time in their pentagon formation and kill the lich after the last one's dead.

Yeah yeah, they can kill that snake woman later too.

Hope to see you not exploded tomorrow Lord Montegue!"

*ends connection*

Tilliak
12-01-2008, 03:10 AM
*LOVED* having contracts. Bring em in full time. They're not here to replace real players anyway and if you use them that way, they work great!

joker922
12-01-2008, 06:46 AM
The hirelings will not use the first two rest shrines in Von3, and I also took the lvl11 cleric out to the desert wilderness area. Apparently they are either not smart enough to cure their own Mummy rot, or do not have the ability.

branmakmuffin
12-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Is it individual shrines which are bugged? I was running Korthos stuff with Frenzy (the 3rd level WF barbarian; helped me beat down that arcane in Sacrifices on Elite with minimal sweat, although Frenzy did buy whatever passes for the farm in WF-ville) and there were several shrines he wouldn't use, in the wilderness area and in a few quests (didn't write down which ones).

I find it easier to control the fighter-types than the clerics (I've only hired these two kinds of hirelings). With fighter-types, you can just sort of leave them on "follow, active" and they'll be more or less OK. With the clerics, I found I had to tell them to be "follow, passive" or "stay put, passive," and then I'd just use them as a roving healing station. When set to "follow, active," they were always getting their butts kicked (they didn't seem to heal themselves enough). I suppose that's why they're rolling them out in dribs and drabs, to work out the kinks and get ideas for ways to make the AI better.

I remember Baldur's Gate (1 and 2) and several behaviors to choose from for each character (with different choices depending on whether the character was an arcane caster, divine caster or non-caster), such as "defensive" or "offensive," "ranged" or "melee," etc.

ShaeNightbird
12-01-2008, 10:17 AM
I had a problem with the first shrine in the hobgoblin stronghold in Tangleroot. My halfling fighter wouldn't rest no matter what. He used other ones, but for some reason he refused to rest there. There was another instance in which that occurred as well, but I can't remember it offhand.

branmakmuffin
12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I had a problem with the first shrine in the hobgoblin stronghold in Tangleroot. My halfling fighter wouldn't rest no matter what. He used other ones, but for some reason he refused to rest there. There was another instance in which that occurred as well, but I can't remember it offhand.
Oh, you got the fussy Halfling fighter. The shrine was probably dirty, or maybe it smelled funny.

ShaeNightbird
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey! He wasn't fussy! With a name like Soggybottom, you can't go through life being a fussbudget. He wouldn't have even made it through middle school in one piece.

branmakmuffin
12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey! He wasn't fussy! With a name like Soggybottom, you can't go through life being a fussbudget. He wouldn't have even made it through middle school in one piece.
Come on, he's a Halfling. He was going to school with people named "Mugwort" and "Maggot."

BronwynnBane
12-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I have noticed they won't use various rest shrines as well. For example we had 2 hirelings with us in First Strike and neither would use the first rest shrine but both would the second shrine. It happened in one other quest but can't remember which one at the moment.

McGraham
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
M'Lord Tolero ...

I have a comment to make with regard to the "Hirelings"

My first comment is this: Going to a other individuals to "purchase" these hirelings appears to be short of slavery or prostitution. :D Its just a weird feeling doing so for me. And just choosing a "hireling" from a list of possibilities really doesn't get it for me as I'd like to see these folks with a little more personality.

My preference with the hirelings would have been to populate the taverns with them and allow for the players to interact with them by asking questions and "getting to know" a hireling and his capabilities before he just pops in your instance.
I realize the amount of work that would have to be done to do this and thus can understand Turbine's approach the way they did. But from my early Pen N Paper days, all my DMs and Myself as a DM populated all the inns, and various sections of town where the players could go and find the hirelings of their choosing.

Any chance we might see this approach taken in the future, or a revision to the current system?

Your thoughts and comments that you might have with regard to this type of modification would be greatly apprecaited.

(OH! FWIW, I just got the newsletter release while checking my email from ... shhhhh ... work, and haven't completely read the thread so I do not know if this point has been covered. Please forgive if this is a duplicate, but I wanted to get it off my thought process while I had it.)

Your Respectful Servant,
McGraham

Dav
12-01-2008, 05:24 PM
The few times I've had trouble with hirelings at a shrine, I had to fiddle with where they were standing and get them positioned right in front of it.

Reminds me of the shrine in Co6 where you have to move around and get right in front.

Can't say this would have helped in the above situations, however, just my experience.

BronwynnBane
12-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Neither of our Hirelings would use the indoor shrines in Caverns of Korromar. Seems like the more enclosed the shrine is they tend to not want to use it. The rooms that house these two shrines are very small even smaller then the first shrine in First Strike.

Foxhunter
12-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I know they're still buggy, but they worked well enough to go live a few times now. Just release them and have done with it. You can fix them with patches.

digaorcr
12-02-2008, 10:44 AM
they dind´t work for me

tried 5 times

hope they can make it work, it´s a nice idea for us that can´t wait too much for a group

Qzipoun
12-03-2008, 09:07 AM
M'Lord Tolero ...

My first comment is this: Going to a other individuals to "purchase" these hirelings appears to be short of slavery or prostitution. :D Its just a weird feeling doing so for me. And just choosing a "hireling" from a list of possibilities really doesn't get it for me as I'd like to see these folks with a little more personality.

My preference with the hirelings would have been to populate the taverns with them and allow for the players to interact with them by asking questions and "getting to know" a hireling and his capabilities before he just pops in your instance.
I realize the amount of work that would have to be done to do this and thus can understand Turbine's approach the way they did. But from my early Pen N Paper days, all my DMs and Myself as a DM populated all the inns, and various sections of town where the players could go and find the hirelings of their choosing.

Any chance we might see this approach taken in the future, or a revision to the current system?

I really like this idea! Right now we have vendors per level range selling a list of hirelings but it would be interesting if all the hirelings hung around with hirelings of their own level, that way we would have "spots" where you could walk up and talk to 3-5 hirelings of your level and pick one. As you level up, you will go to different spots for more advanced hirelings, helping with the idea that you're down the path of the DDO adventure and not just repeating the same thing over and over again*. You would be able to get nice information from all the hirelings before getting them. The only issue I see with this is they would all have to be in the marketplace ("central" location in DDO), which would end up crowded. It would make no sense to have to go to Meridia just because a specific hireling lives there when you're trying to run Gianthold quests for example.

==

*On a completely unrelated note, this is why I dont like the fact that all trainers will level you no matter what level you are. It made sense to me as a new player that I would have to go to a specific trainer each time, it forced me to discover new parts of Stormreach and allowed for a sense of evolution of my character.

Dungnmaster001
12-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Not that I'm complaining, but the hirelings are still around..... thought they were going away Monday morning?

Dracolich
12-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Whats that little puzzle in your Sig Tolero?

Also, are we ever going to get enhanced AI with summoned creatures? IE be able to tell them to be defensive or passive? Course I have not summoned a pet since the last mod so I dont know if they have been changed already.

VonBek
12-03-2008, 12:12 PM
The only issue I see with this is they would all have to be in the marketplace ("central" location in DDO), which would end up crowded.

Not as much crowding on the north half of the market, near the entrance to the house wards. Also, spread a few level 1-3's around the harbor, (cul-de-sac by the apothecary, and near the gates to CH, for example).

Solmage
12-03-2008, 02:09 PM
M'Lord Tolero ...

My first comment is this: Going to a other individuals to "purchase" these hirelings appears to be short of slavery or prostitution. :D

Oooh he brings up an excellent point! Can we have chained hirelings, together with a neck-brace and a chain leading to us? And can we change the name to slavelings, or to be traditional, 'minions'? Also, contracts? pfft. Let's trap their souls in stones, and purchase those, so you own their very core of their beings. Once you buy one, you can summon him whenever you want, forever. And ever :D

PS: It's Lady Tolero :p