PDA

View Full Version : More inventory needed - 2 years ago

RobbinB
11-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Devs. I just don't get it. Increasing inventory space should be a no-brainer.

Last night I had to wait 20 minute for a friend to mail a bunch of stuff from toon to toon because his inventory was filled to the brim. Yawn. Then we ran kobold and got to the end chest. We didn't bother with the eles, just used the loot and run tactic. Except that I was getting the "inventory full" message as I tried to pick up the essence. Took about 15 fireballs in the back trying to collect my loot.

Seriously, we need more inventory space, needed it years ago, and since then we have all kinds of new collectibles. Bags are useful for holding the new stuff, but bags themselves take up inventory space.

Quit screwing around with Velah and the Abbott and the Reaver. Assign a co-op student the 5 minutes it will take to code extra inventory if it hasn't already been done. Maybe make the next house K favor level at 250 and make it reward the extra space. Instead of making new quests for new favor factions, make the next few new quests give house K favor (Hey maybe new stuff at level cap in Ataraxia's, that would be cool).

Lots of changes you could make to this game have potential ups and downs. Some people like them, some people cry nerf and threaten to leave the game. I don't see anyone getting irate at having more inventory. So you only have happy people and people that don't care. It's a win-break even proposition.

I'm getting really tired of spending time having to throw away "lesser" loot everytime I open a chest to make room for new stuff.

Beherit_Baphomar
11-24-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm getting really tired of spending time having to throw away "lesser" loot everytime I open a chest to make room for new stuff.

Not to **** in yer cheerios or anything but are you really missing out on all that great random loot?

More inventory space would, obviously, be freakin awesome but Im not seeing it as a big problem. Hell, half the stuff I just leave in the chest now...

Hafeal
11-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Inventory is a problem because everyone needs to be a walking a armory and apothocary. 1-2 full pages of weapon sets, 1 page of pots, scrolls (and that's just as a melee, to be self-sufficient), 1 page of clothing (rings, belts, trinkets, bracers) ... tools, spells components, collectable bags, quest requirement items, etc ...

I try to keep 1 page free for loot and empty frequently.

I use it as a forced system to stop players from being greater pack-rats than they already are. :o

Mindspat
11-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Devs. I just don't get it. Increasing inventory space should be a no-brainer.

Last night I had to wait 20 minute for a friend to mail a bunch of stuff from toon to toon because his inventory was filled to the brim. Yawn. Then we ran kobold and got to the end chest. We didn't bother with the eles, just used the loot and run tactic. Except that I was getting the "inventory full" message as I tried to pick up the essence. Took about 15 fireballs in the back trying to collect my loot.

I almost always offer items to party members and guild members if I can't use them. If my inventory is full I'll just move the item into someone else's loot table. Maybe this is why I'm down to about 500k plat?

cdbd3rd
11-24-2008, 03:17 PM
The limit on inventory space is somewhat intended. They consider it part of the 'gaming experience' to sometimes have to decide what to keep and what to get rid of.

If I really have to, I might go looking for where they mentioned that. [edit: or maybe not. Thinking it may have been in a dev interview somewhere. Looked a little and ddin't find it.]

(Not that I would complain about more space - being the quintessential 'if it hits the ground or I can talk folks into redirecting unwanted junk to me I'll haul it out of the dungeon' kinda guy.)

nbhs275
11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
If your "necessary gear" is far exceeding 2 pages, your doing something wrong. Its often a sign of your build just being a giant "cluster-*uck" as it where.

All that stuff you wanna hold onto but dont actually need or use, we have 3 more bank slots for it. use it.

tihocan
11-24-2008, 03:51 PM
I also wish I had more inv/bank slots, but I can also see it as a challenge we have to overcome, so... I'm fine either way.

CavernDragon
11-24-2008, 03:54 PM
I dont see my self as a pack-rat, but as a ranger I have quivers, Bags, Weapons for all the different quests, Robes, armor, Rings pots ect... loot what loot I dont have room for any loot....

Noctus
11-24-2008, 04:05 PM
1. We do have more storage room than we had at start. They implemented collectible bags.

2. Get organized.
You dont really need all that stuff you are carrying around. Do you really need to carry all your greater bane sets to each quest? Do you really need to have 8 switchable armors? 15 different clicky sets?
If you set some priorities for the stuff you carry it gets managable.

Chaos000
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
time to consolidate.

I understand tho' my ranged cleric always seems to run out of space. course if I wasn't so insistent as to carry 800 heal scrolls and 20 cure serious wands it wouldn't be so bad.

Grimgore
11-24-2008, 04:08 PM
How about bags of holding? I mean portable holes were great to add that extra 20 but if we had a bag similar to the gem bags that allowed us 20 more slots, that would ROCK!

-Grim

GreenGurgler
11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
If your "necessary gear" is far exceeding 2 pages, your doing something wrong. Its often a sign of your build just being a giant "cluster-*uck" as it where.

All that stuff you wanna hold onto but dont actually need or use, we have 3 more bank slots for it. use it.

LOL, your kidding , right??!?!

I started to right a whole long winded rant in reply but decided to just leave it at this. Dont assume that becasue you can do it, anybody who doesnt has a cluster *uck build. That same person may just help you in a quest sometime becasue you run so 'spartan'. You dont know how many times Iv run in groups where no-one has fear removal (or is it curse?) yet low and behold the cluster *ucked melee with a stack of pots is able to cleanse the whole party of the affliction.

2 pages.. lol.. I just dont see it.

Strakeln
11-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I agree with GG, but in a nicer way.

Personally, I have several reasons for being over-prepared on all of my characters:

It cuts down on maintenance. I try to have each character stocked with 2-3 days worth of adventuring (8-12 hours playtime total). So instead of 100 haste potions, I have 400, 10 wands, etc.
I can't tell you how many times I've been in situation where having 100 raise scrolls or 50 mana potions or 800 heal or whatever has paid off. So if I carry something, I carry it in stacks of 100.
It enables you to be generous on the spot. My barbarian devotes 5 slots to carrying scrolls and mana potions
At least once a week, I have something that saves part or all of the party. Stone to flesh scrolls are a good example.
A lot of the higher level mass spells have 11 minute durations on their scrolls. Bears, bulls, and invis, for example. All have their uses and can be handy at the right time.
Out-of-the-box utility. My sorc carries a lot of healing-related scrolls because sometimes it can be mighty beneficial to the party.

Hafeal
11-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Well said. And I would add that if you do not come prepared, especially at end game, players do begin to remember you ... and not in a good way. ;)

Personally, I have several reasons for being over-prepared on all of my characters:

It cuts down on maintenance. I try to have each character stocked with 2-3 days worth of adventuring (8-12 hours playtime total). So instead of 100 haste potions, I have 400, 10 wands, etc.
I can't tell you how many times I've been in situation where having 100 raise scrolls or 50 mana potions or 800 heal or whatever has paid off. So if I carry something, I carry it in stacks of 100.
It enables you to be generous on the spot. My barbarian devotes 5 slots to carrying scrolls and mana potions
At least once a week, I have something that saves part or all of the party. Stone to flesh scrolls are a good example.
A lot of the higher level mass spells have 11 minute durations on their scrolls. Bears, bulls, and invis, for example. All have their uses and can be handy at the right time.
Out-of-the-box utility. My sorc carries a lot of healing-related scrolls because sometimes it can be mighty beneficial to the party.

Noctus
11-24-2008, 05:20 PM

And that is exactly the reason why storage space in a backpack is limited. Because it is so advantageous to be well prepared. In Pen&Paper gold is the limiting factor on how many situational, but if the occasion arises they rock, goodies a character will have on hand. In DDO this gold-limit was replaced with storage space, because of a different economy.

You have to make a trade-off between being even better prepared, or being able to carry all the loot back home.

P.S.
Each and every one of my characters carries a stack of the following potions:
Remove Curse, Lesser Restauration, Remove Blindness, Remove Fear, Cure Critical, Poison Immunity, Protection-from-Elemnts: Fire.

Uska
11-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Shouldnt be able to keep everything and why would you want to, on stuff in your bank how often do you use it? spread the wealth or at least sell, give away or trade what you dont use, makes the game more fun for all. I dont think we need more inventory space(good grief we can carry to much already) nor do we need bank space I mean how much junk do people really need to store amoungst 10 or so characters?

Dragonhyde
11-24-2008, 05:35 PM
/shrug
Just fix house K favor to give us the two extra bank slots that always load up then go away.

Lorichie
11-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Shouldnt be able to keep everything and why would you want to, on stuff in your bank how often do you use it? spread the wealth or at least sell, give away or trade what you dont use, makes the game more fun for all. I dont think we need more inventory space(good grief we can carry to much already) nor do we need bank space I mean how much junk do people really need to store amoungst 10 or so characters?

You know, reading this post earlier in the day, i wondered why i always had no room...
My casters and clerics have a full page free on their persons...
My tanks and such are chucker block full. Pots, scrolls, wands, full page weapons, yada yada yada...

So i go check out all the bank pages...Each toon has different jewelry, clothing, weapons, armor, shields etc. Ie: Loriches has two bank spots, one page is belts/cloaks one page is potency/devotion items, and so on for each character.

The last three i just made have low level junk that they are outgrowing, and those items get sent back to corresponding parent toon ie: +1 resistance cloak goes to Loriches, rings go to Lorichei etc and so on...

Thats all of my banks, seperated and catagorized according to item/ weapon/ armor/ clothing/ jewelry/ tomes etc.. Most of it is junk ie: two of each +1, +2, +3, +4 resist cloaks and so on, but all my banks are full, until lowbies grow up a little.

I'm not sure if i'm really organized or a packrat, i hope i'm organized else the missus will poke at me about being a packrat, as i broke her of it a year ago:(

R

boldarblood
11-24-2008, 05:41 PM
If you do not have enough room to pick up loot in a quest, even a long one with lots of chests like Shroud, you carry to much stuff. You don't need to have all that equipment. Put it in your bank and bring it with you on the quests you need it. You dont need to carry your pair of smiters/greater constuct bane/etc to every quest).

And I do have a character that is very equipment intensive (rogue/ranger with high umd, carry scrolls/wands/dual wielding weapons/bow/arrows/quivers/potions/thief picks/madstone boots/extra jewelry (like 6 int ring for traps)/disable/openlock/etc).

VirieSquichie
11-24-2008, 05:51 PM
And that is exactly the reason why storage space in a backpack is limited. Because it is so advantageous to be well prepared. In Pen&Paper gold is the limiting factor on how many situational, but if the occasion arises they rock, goodies a character will have on hand. In DDO this gold-limit was replaced with storage space, because of a different economy.

You have to make a trade-off between being even better prepared, or being able to carry all the loot back home.

P.S.
Remove Curse, Lesser Restauration, Remove Blindness, Remove Fear, Cure Critical, Poison Immunity, Protection-from-Elemnts: Fire.

In pencil-and-paper, you can use nonstandard items to do things for you when you don't have the standard thing. In DDO, if you don't have the particular thing you're likely to run into trouble.

I never know what the guildies will want to do, and don't feel like running to the bank between each quest for 5-10 minutes of swapping junk out and re-assigning everything on the hotbars and weapon combos. Call me silly, but I'd rather play than keep the banker company.

My melee guy has a page and a half of weapons, and in a given evening if he hops from one area to another he could well use 2/3 of them. I never know which 2/3. He's got enough self-sufficiency items to be effective on his own, though the superior casts from other characters are always welcome. He's got a few items to heal other people. And beyond that, he's got nearly a dozen clickies and hot-swap items (Bat, Dusk Heart, Bottle of Air etc.) that it would be ill-advised to try to do without. With all that junk, he's got one page left for looting if he's lucky...if the guild is moving quickly, I have to stop by a mailbox a couple times a night if I want to actually sell stuff at a decent price. No way I'm letting a bartender buy a 128k weapon off me...and only my sort-of-haggle sorc gets to sell 'em to the weapon shop.

RobbinB
11-24-2008, 05:59 PM
LOL, your kidding , right??!?!

I started to right a whole long winded rant in reply but decided to just leave it at this. Dont assume that becasue you can do it, anybody who doesnt has a cluster *uck build. That same person may just help you in a quest sometime becasue you run so 'spartan'. You dont know how many times Iv run in groups where no-one has fear removal (or is it curse?) yet low and behold the cluster *ucked melee with a stack of pots is able to cleanse the whole party of the affliction.

2 pages.. lol.. I just dont see it.

Yep, in the good old days before they killed the self-sufficiency of fear removal potions, there wasn't anything that would make me see purple faster than a white dragon tor failure because people couldn't be bothered to pick up a few pots. Interestingly, the only excuse I ever got that I halfway accepted was "I don't have inventory space".

Aranticus
11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
i think i take a middle stand on this on. i'd like more slots but in the form of bank space than inventory. it takes time to organise the toons you play, but one shouldnt keep trash either. 2 pages of necessary gear in inventory? that sounds like a grossly unprepared player. for most melees, 1 page would have been devoted to weapons (more for twf). resist items, potions, bags and various situational items, ie ff, shards if you are going to craft can easily take up 1.5 more pages

more inventory - no
more bank - yes

Rog
11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
the worst is my rog silent carry 2 greater banes for about everything u can think of. 2 vorpals/ bashing raipers/smiting rapiers/ disrupers sickles/not to mechon cure wands/rezz scrolls/ loot i have no room and i dont want to sell my loot becouse it to hard to find i might need it one day:(

Uska
11-24-2008, 11:42 PM
How about bags of holding? I mean portable holes were great to add that extra 20 but if we had a bag similar to the gem bags that allowed us 20 more slots, that would ROCK!

-Grim

We are using portable holes or at least bags of holding, you really think you could pack that much gear into a normal backpack? Plus to get that last space you use a collapsed portable hole to make it.

Thrudh
11-25-2008, 11:52 AM

All good points, but point 2 is stretching it a bit... You're way too good a player to have ever needed 100 raise scrolls or 50 mana potions or 800 heal scrolls in one quest... sheesh

Most of my guys use 4 pages of inventory, saving one for loot... and all very self-sufficient... My clerics only carry 200 heal scrolls and 200 CMW scrolls at a time... And none of my casters has ever had more than 10-15 mana potions :)

Chaos000
11-25-2008, 12:03 PM
also keep in mind when the game started there was no collectables bags, no quivers and everyone was limited to three bag spaces. the forth and fifth one came from favor which wasn't put into the game til drow was introduced.

I wouldn't mind a separate scroll, wand, and potion bag. that would definitely free up a ton of space.

BelVic
11-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Stop carrying 5-6 pairs of "madstone boots" ( I seen screenshots some ppl do) - let other ppl roll for it. :)

On serious note I took feat to remove my need for ingredients on battlemage who need to carry bunch of stuff since he like have weapons sharper that club&sceptre. It's freed me 7 spaces for loot. Now I can loot again :)

Also some old clickie can be replaced with shroud clickies -- don't forget to remove old ones if you find not using them often enough. I need to do it someday as well.

Many ppl made mineral II weapon so it's make them happy not to carry bunch of weapons anymore.

GlassCannon
11-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Not to **** in yer cheerios or anything but are you really missing out on all that great random loot?

More inventory space would, obviously, be freakin awesome but Im not seeing it as a big problem. Hell, half the stuff I just leave in the chest now...

Hand it over! My Bard has Scrolls and Potions to buy!

Seriously, at least toss it at a cleric, or ask someone "Does anyone want my loot to sell or whatever if it is vendorjunk, or should I just leave it in the chest?"... I'll always pipe up and say "I have lowbies that could use Cure potions, Warforged that need Repair pots, a Cleric that needs Scrolls, etc."

nbhs275
11-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Stop carrying 5-6 pairs of "madstone boots" ( I seen screenshots some ppl do) - let other ppl roll for it. :)

On serious note I took feat to remove my need for ingredients on battlemage who need to carry bunch of stuff since he like have weapons sharper that club&sceptre. It's freed me 7 spaces for loot. Now I can loot again :)

Also some old clickie can be replaced with shroud clickies -- don't forget to remove old ones if you find not using them often enough. I need to do it someday as well.

Many ppl made mineral II weapon so it's make them happy not to carry bunch of weapons anymore.

Im up to 9....But yea, carrying the ten sets of greater banes is usually worthless when they arent actually doing any more damage then a more simplistic set. At lower levels a +5 flaming burst or w/e weaponset that covers 95% of enemies is much stronger then having to switch 3 times in any given room because it has gnolls/mephits/orcs/ect/ect..

In the end game a good melee needs only 5-10 weapon sets to be effective.

1. His all around DPS beaters. Whatever he uses against 95% of the chump mobs he meets. Mineral 2s or lightning 2s are the most common at high end.

2. His vorps. For when the chump mob happens to have more HP then you can easily destroy in 20 average swings(which really means keep your vorps away if the mob has less then 1200 hp)

3. Wounders. There are some situations where wounding as a group is far faster then conventional dps.

4. smiters/banishers/disruptors. Situational tools, that stay sheathed most of the time. Keep them around though because they make some quests and situations cakewalks.

5. Construct Banes. Shroud 1...simple as that.

6. Maybe an alternative DPS set, like lightning if your usual is mineral, ect. Can also be an alternative element that comes to play against specific enemies(fire for ice giants and white dragons, or cold for fire elementals)

After that, most weapon sets are usually fluff. Though most smart rangers will also carry a few of those catagories as bows, for when multishot is available.

Gearwise, people tend to carry alternative rings/belts/cloaks that they never use. Which really isnt an excuse for more space.

Kaldaka
11-25-2008, 02:50 PM
P.S.
... Cure Critical ...

Where do you get these potions at? Damn I need those potions more than I need extra bank space .....