PDA

View Full Version : Quarterstaffs & glancing blows

Lillitheris
11-22-2008, 07:53 AM
How is this supposed to work...?
Since we don't have double-weapon fighting in the game, quarterstaffs should be considered two-handed weapons for sure. They get the THF benefit from Power Attack, but strike no glancing blows. Not really consistant at all.

From the books:

Quarterstaff

A quarterstaff is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. A creature wielding a quarterstaff in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

The quarterstaff is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding a quarterstaff special options.

AND

Double Weapons

Dire flails, dwarven urgroshes, gnome hooked hammers, orc double axes, quarterstaffs, and two-bladed swords are double weapons. A character can fight with both ends of a double weapon as if fighting with two weapons, but he or she incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon.

The character can also choose to use a double weapon two handed, attacking with only one end of it. A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

Why is there no mention of the possible THF property in the specific quarterstaff entry? :confused:

xanvar
11-22-2008, 08:01 AM
I agree 100% but it has never been implemented like it should. I remember reading a long time ago that quarterstaves have their own special attack style and there was no plans to change it. I think it would be great to see one with different effects for each end of the staff, and the ability to use them as a double weapon with two weapon fighting.

Gennerik
11-22-2008, 08:13 AM
The quarterstaff does get glancing blows, just not the first one.

Lillitheris
11-23-2008, 09:18 AM
The quarterstaff does get glancing blows, just not the first one.

So they start when I get my 3rd attack or ... ? Do I need a certain BAB?

Gennerik
11-23-2008, 09:40 AM
So they start when I get my 3rd attack or ... ? Do I need a certain BAB?

I believe that you get glancing blows on your third attack, so at BAB 5.

Junts
11-23-2008, 09:47 AM
quarterstaffs get their glancing blows on swings 3 and 5.

tihocan
11-23-2008, 10:35 AM
They also get the extra glancing blow from GTHF.
Eladrin said glancing blows with staves may be revised too (presumably to match other TH weapons).

Lillitheris
11-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Quarterstaffs have the fastest attack animation, so in terms of DPS they are not that far behind other THF weapons. It's just the perfectionist in me that is annoyed by all this inconsistency :o

Junts
11-24-2008, 08:09 AM
i have a gcb qstaff i love just for this reason, especially when you stack it up with zeal