PDA

View Full Version : B-Swords

Turial
11-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Devs,

In pnp the B-sword is also known as the hand and a half sword due to the ability to use it 1 handed and 2 handed. I would imagine this is why it requires an exotic prof feat.

In DDO the B-sword simply requires an exotic feat to use. When the Kopesh was translated to DDO it was given some love to make it less useless as a weapon. Is there any chance that the B-sword could be reevaluated and given a boost of some sort? The ability to use it as a one handed weapon and a two handed weapon depending on the situation would be a decent boost. Thanks.

GrayOldDruid
11-21-2008, 09:09 AM
It would be nice to have Bastard Sword by default be a 2-h weapon, but it would switch to 1-h if you equipped a shield... or had it in a sword/shield pair for the hotbar... or equipped another sword.

PurdueDave
11-21-2008, 09:11 AM
In PnP you can use any reasonable 1H weapon 2H. The exotic prof just gets you +1 damage on average.

edit: qualified 3.5 PnP.

Gunga
11-21-2008, 09:11 AM
It would be nice to have Bastard Sword by default be a 2-h weapon, but it would switch to 1-h if you equipped a shield... or had it in a sword/shield pair for the hotbar... or equipped another sword.

Yep. That'd do it.

Ciaran
11-21-2008, 09:14 AM
In PnP you can use any reasonable 1H weapon 2H. The exotic prof just gets you +1 damage on average.

edit: qualified 3.5 PnP.

Bastard swords require the EWP feat to be able to use one-handed w/o penalty in PnP.

Maybe give them a damage boost when PA is used. Two-handed weapons get twice the bonus of PA maybe give Bastard swords 1.5?

Turial
11-21-2008, 09:19 AM

That would be a really good way to have it work. Though I would change it to 1-hand if you have it in a pair with any other item that fits in the hand slot, be it weapon or shield.

Bastard swords require the EWP feat to be able to use one-handed w/o penalty in PnP.

Maybe give them a damage boost when PA is used. Two-handed weapons get twice the bonus of PA maybe give Bastard swords 1.5?

So PA gives 7 damage for a typical Bastard sword user? Seems both good for people useing it as a 1-hander with a shield and too good for those using it with another bastard sword.

PurdueDave
11-21-2008, 09:24 AM

My mistake. I wrote assuming EWP was in play. You're correct that b-swords are 2H martial weapons in 3.5 PnP, 1H exotic.

honkuimushi
11-21-2008, 10:32 AM
I'd like to see GrayOldDruid's suggetion implemented someday. The extra point of damage you get from going from a D8 to a d10 really isn't worth the feat, especially when a khopesh is so much better for the same cost.

On the other hand, I have looted a couple of nice Bastard Swords that I couldn't bring myself to sell. It would be nice to be able to use them situatioally, even if I don't have enough of them to really push me into making a character with the feat.

On another note, There is a PrC in PnP, the Exotic Weapon Master that can increase the strength bonus on a Bastard Sword used 1 handed to 1.5 x your Strength bonus.

Turial
11-21-2008, 12:03 PM
I'd like to see GrayOldDruid's suggetion implemented someday. The extra point of damage you get from going from a D8 to a d10 really isn't worth the feat, especially when a khopesh is so much better for the same cost.

Emphasis is mine.

There is the rub. Why would anyone use bastard swords over khopeshes? They really wouldn't from a practical standpoint because khopeshes were simply made much better then they normally would be with Turbines change. I really like Druids suggestion for a fix on the bastard sword.

Gunga
11-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Yep. Druid's solution has it covered and keeps it simple. What say you Tolero?

Aeneas
11-21-2008, 12:55 PM
How about at least changing the swing detection range for the bastard sword since it's currently the same as a dagger.