PDA

View Full Version : Reminder, Hireling preview has concluded

Tolero
11-17-2008, 10:39 AM
A reminder that all Hireling related activities have concluded from the weekend's preview. It is no longer possible to summon or purchase a Hireling.

Did you try Hirelings over the weekend? Feel free to let us know what you thought of the Hirelings here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=163804) on the community forums!

Strakeln
11-17-2008, 10:45 AM
That 7th level fighter should be taken out back and shot. He's giving others a bad name. :D

Razvan
11-17-2008, 10:58 AM
I know that hirelings have a lot of things to be fixed, but can't you guys work on them while leaving them on the live servers?...I know I speak for a lot of people when I say that for the moment we would rather have the hirelings as they are at the moment (until they get fixed), than not have them at all!

Ty!

cdbd3rd
11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I know that hirelings have a lot of things to be fixed, but can't you guys work on them while leaving them on the live servers?...I know I speak for a lot of people when I say that for the moment we would rather have the hirelings as they are at the moment (until they get fixed), than not have them at all!

Ty!

I'm willing to bet that the number of players who aren't coming to the forums are deluging the GMs with umpteen service requests for buggy hirelings.

That said, pushing the fixes so far to Risia would at least give more feedback in their current status. ;)

Demitris
11-17-2008, 03:42 PM
tried hirelings at both cap level and lowbie.

Lowbies:

Tried out a pally and a sorc. Both reacted fairly closely to how we would having recently started the game, although for low levels (1-4) the pally behaved suprisingly well.

Caps:

Here I tried casters, clerics and a lone tank. As I expected the tank pretty much made a bloody splatter on the ground in seconds in some of the highish content, since this tends to test players ability and gear far more. The casters on the other hand did a decent job, survival is a little slim on the ground for them, but nothing that can't be managed once you figure out their weaknesses.

Now clerics, this was the one true disappointment I had. Even in passive I'd expect a cleric to heal themselves, but mine just stood there and took the shots whether it was passive or active modes. It was not triggering heal automaticly on itself and certainly not on me, forcing me to figure out on the fly where to place them in hold ground and cast during a fight. Leading me to my pet annoyance, targetting heals. Requiring the person to be targetted before commanding a casting is laborious, frustrating and down right unintuitive (not to mention loosing info on your targets since you have yourself targetted the whole time so you can force the casting of heals on yourself), since even at full health a certain annoying cleric kept casting heal on herself rather than the tank that was getting splattered that paid her bill.

Overall:

I can say I'd use hirelings and definitely have potential with some tweaks here and there. Good work Turbine, on the whole.

Tresha_D'Artet
11-17-2008, 04:06 PM
at first i was really excited about hirelings, grabbed my sorc, got a hireling cleric, went to gianthold :)

howevr...since then, i have taken a different ranger, party leader had a hireling cleric, and i went through more heal pots and wands than i would have if i had solo'd something.
i personally believe that it would have been less pot/wand costly to have just run the quest w/out a cleric at all, since none that were available wanted to join the group:(

maybe some just wanna be level 10-13 forever...too bad.

i am and will be reluctant to run or join any groups where the party leader says "ill get a hireling cleric". i will be honest and say that i will probably drop that group after wishing everyone good luck, and finding a different party.

just my 2 coppers worth.

Gareth27
11-17-2008, 04:17 PM
I used the 8th level cleric hireling in an otherwise full group. I knew the halfling was a battlecleric, but his AI was a bit off. He decided to fight a few trolls inside of a fire trap that we were using to finish off the trolls. Needless to say he didnt survive the experience. Otherwise he was fairly useful. The only other complaint that i have is that possibly there could be a hotbar setting for the clerics to heal all party members, instead of having to do it manually, as it's a bit cumbersome to use effectively.

Logicman69
11-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Grabbed my guild-mate and a a couple hirelings last night for some runs in GH. Our 13th Level Paly and 14th Level Cleric did surprisingly well. The Paly was a BEAST in the quest (we were running Feast or Fammine). He did his job well as can be expected.

My hopes for hirelings would be A) the ability to scan their inventory and see just what weapons they have at their disposal, and B) Chosing what spells to hotkey. Other than that, they helped out our tiny guild emensly.

Kaish
11-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I tried a Cleric : She was going berzerk on everything, fighting and attacking monsters like she was a barbarian. She was not healing much and died way too often. The description said that she was suppose to be focusing on healing. I cant see why someone would want to Hire a cleric who think he is a tank.

With that being said, I hired a Tank. He was going crazy on everything, getting agro of monster we did not want to. He was not listening to the command of coming back and letting it go... It was a bad experience.

Hirelings should not seek agro. They should focus on what they are hired to do and stay close to their employer at all time.

Thank you

Shima-ra
11-18-2008, 08:03 AM
I miss Natasha already!

mresch
11-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Loved the hirelings, thank you. I think with realsitic expectations they are a great addition to the game. So, Tolero, when might we get them back?

Solmage
11-20-2008, 02:05 PM
I also miss my hirelings...

HeavenlyCloud
11-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I miss Natasha already!

I saw Nat logged in today... oh wait you meant the hireling :O.