PDA

View Full Version : Rethink Random Chain Rewards?

Memnir
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
This has been on my mind a lot recently...

With the quest rewards in the NPE always being static and non-random - perhaps this would be a good time to rethink the half-random/half-static mechanic for the rest of the game's quest-chains. I think that it would be a massive boon to the game if the major quest lines would always offer their full list of rewards - as well as 1-4 items of random loot.

Back in the day, the random loot was added to the quest-chains as an incentive for veteran players to re-do these quests - mostly due to player boredom & lack of content at that time to keep folks interested. If I'm not mistaken - the random loot popped in while the level cap was still 10. People would get the loot they "needed" and move on. This was also before Favor, so the incentive to work a chain up to Elite was often missing, beyond the XP. So, the complaint was that people had no reason to run Water Works/STK/Threnal/etc once they had their one or two desired items. And, at the time, they were right.

However, I think that now the opposite is true. People often refuse to run some major quest chains due to the frustration of the randomness. I think that the random factor has darn near killed some chains - like Threnal. The random nature of the end-rewards has lead to the opposite reaction to the one that prevailed when it was put in the game. I know I've heard dozens of instances of people just giving up on ever getting an item to drop - and just move on... doing the quest once on Elite for favor. The frustration has swung totally in the opposite direction. Instead of giving people a reason to repeat - it has rather become a reason to not even try. Threnal is the perfect example... nine quests is a long haul to make - only to hear most of the party groan in disappointment at the quality of the random loot & the infrequency of the good named items showing up. Sorrowdusk is another perfect example, for the same reasons.

Now we also have the NPE rewards to consider. The rewards for these quests are static and they are useful. I really think that after such a rich bonanza of good rewards - going to the Harbor and being offered masterwork weapons, five pieces of gold, and other such items as rewards will come as a shock to new players. And, after running a chain like Waterworks for the first time, they may be wondering, "Hey, I got this great item-set reward on on the island... why is half the stuff on this list so bad??" And they'd be right.

And since these quest-chains vanish around mid-high levels (around the time Raids take over the quest-chain reward job), this won't impact higher level content at all. It would just make the beginning levels of the game a lot more palatable and enjoyable.

So, I think it's time to either dump or modify the end-reward system for these large quest chains. Either revert back to the old system of all static items, and drop the random items all together - or have the whole static-item list all the time, but add three to four random items at the end. This would have the effect of giving long time players a reason to run the quests multiple times (as intended), as well as letting the newer players maintain their thrill of getting good items at the end of a major accomplishment in the game.

Sorry for taking up a lot of space, but thanks for reading.

TFPAQ
11-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Turbine can say what the like, but essentially it was to introduce a grind element into the game... yes I know that they advertised this game as "non-grind", but sadly that is what it has become ...

Hafeal
11-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Now we also have the NPE rewards to consider. The rewards for these quests are static and they are useful. I really think that after such a rich bonanza of good rewards - going to the Harbor and being offered masterwork weapons, five pieces of gold, and other such items as rewards will come as a shock to new players. And, after running a chain like Waterworks for the first time, they may be wondering, "Hey, I got this great item-set reward on on the island... why is half the stuff on this list so bad??" And they'd be right.

I agree ... I found myself thinking these rewards were nice to at least level 5. Why are there masterwork items in the game?

So, I think it's time to either dump or modify the end-reward system for these large quest chains. Either revert back to the old system of all static items, and drop the random items all together - or have the whole static-item list all the time, but add three to four random items at the end. This would have the effect of giving long time players a reason to run the quests multiple times (as intended), as well as letting the newer players maintain their thrill of getting good items at the end of a major accomplishment in the game.

It's an interesting idea ... I could go along with. Let the players truly grind at end game.

Memnir
11-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Turbine can say what the like, but essentially it was to introduce a grind element into the game... yes I know that they advertised this game as "non-grind", but sadly that is what it has become ...Agreed.

I think the Devs have become so preoccupied with giving us grind, thinking it will keep us happy and busy, that they've forgotten that fun is also a critical component to people staying in game. Grinding is not fun, in my opinion, and turns the game into work. And if I wanted to feel like I was working - I would not have logged into a game to begin with.

And yes, the game was advertised as "grind free"... which was part of the allure for me. Sadly, this has changed.

Xyfiel
11-15-2008, 08:53 PM
There is no grind in this game. Now go run desert 50 times until you get me a bloodstone! :D (I am 0 for ever, 30+ more tries today)

Tin_Dragon
11-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Just bring back the Old all named loot tables for those quests, At least on elite... Please.