PDA

View Full Version : Mapping feature become less and less useful

geoffhanna
11-13-2008, 07:10 AM
In the past, there were a small number of quests where the map was broken. Tempest spine, the Pit, a couple of others. But with the new trend towards three dimensional quests the map becomes ever-more useless.

At this point, mapping is severely broken. Can we spend some time figuring out how to fix it?

Maybe increase size of objects that are higher in altitude (and decrease those that are lower)? Maybe give us a mouse orbit feature like in the opening character preview screen except it lets us orbit the map up and down instead of side-to-side?

Something, please.

ZarakNur
11-13-2008, 07:46 AM
/snip
Maybe give us a mouse orbit feature like in the opening character preview screen except it lets us orbit the map up and down instead of side-to-side?

Ohhhhhhhhh, I like that!!

/signed!!

Kalari
11-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Id still like to see a feature where we can mark places on the map. I get tired of long runs like madstone where Im trying to use the map to figure out how to get back to that first shrine I was saving :( even if its a push pin like icon putting where I want to backtrack to nothing fancy just a little icon that I can stick to the map to mark a place I may need to backtrack to. Maps are useless to me as they are now im better off just locating dots.

Griphon
11-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Id still like to see a feature where we can mark places on the map. I get tired of long runs like madstone where Im trying to use the map to figure out how to get back to that first shrine I was saving :( even if its a push pin like icon putting where I want to backtrack to nothing fancy just a little icon that I can stick to the map to mark a place I may need to backtrack to. Maps are useless to me as they are now im better off just locating dots.

/signed

mcop
11-15-2008, 11:41 AM
I forget what mmo it was that I plaed, where the leader could actually make drawings on the orbit map/large maps.

For raid planning and strategy wise, this was one of the best things I had ever seen.

Also like the orbital 3d map idea.

Uproar
11-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I'd like turbine to send me some string and a big piece of chalk. That's all real adventurer's need.

vainangel
11-15-2008, 12:13 PM
I agree.
If there is going to be a map, make it useful.
Leaders should be able to pin items or markers on a map.
Maps with many levels should show many levels and not a mess of noodles overlapping.

:)

DoctorWhofan
11-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd like turbine to send me some string and a big piece of chalk. That's all real adventurer's need.

awesome, agreed!

dameron
11-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Considering TES II: Daggerfall had a rotatable 3d map feature in 1996 I'd say it's high time we got one here.

Xionanx
01-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I forget what mmo it was that I plaed, where the leader could actually make drawings on the orbit map/large maps.

For raid planning and strategy wise, this was one of the best things I had ever seen.

Also like the orbital 3d map idea.

That would be FFXI Online.

And yes, a 3D Map as well as notes on the map would be extremely helpfull.

Lorien_the_First_One
01-15-2009, 10:46 AM
We have maps?

Seriously, once you get passed the early 2D dungeons the current maps are completely useless. Updating the mapping to allow for 3d mapping would be a huge boon.

negative
01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I feel like 3D mapping would just serve to further confuse those that already can't understand a 2D map.

GreenGurgler
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Considering TES II: Daggerfall had a rotatable 3d map feature in 1996 I'd say it's high time we got one here.

EXACTLY the example I was thinking of!!!

These had to be some of the best maps I have ever seen or used. Completely rotatable in any direction, you could always see where you were.

And ad the ability to make map notes.

These maps are basically nothing more than pretty pictures.

udi005
01-31-2009, 07:47 AM

Was also in decent. Maps right now are pretty useless.
also:
- show path
- show special places such as shrines, secret doors etc.
- show secret areas after i find them (right now my char appears in a black area of the map...)
- in big open areas, dont re-hide everything every time I go out. If I already explored a place leave it on the map.

Mr_Ed7
01-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Mapping could be improved.

Lithic
01-31-2009, 08:07 AM
Are you kidding? It seems to take an average of FOUR tries for many people to figure out which way to go when I say "go north from there", I can imagine the headaches if the map was more involved and could be rotated lol.

coolpenguin410
01-31-2009, 09:16 AM
I agree with Lithic. Not because I believe people can't read the map, but because what we have is actually really simple to use and the errors it does have are relatively minor. What some people haven't caught on is that in areas where there's an outdoors and indoors (i.e. Tempest Spine), the map only shows outdoors. This makes sense, if you were to buy a map of the mountain of Tempest Spine, you're not likely to get a map of the inside of the mountain.

However, that's an interesting idea. Perhaps a chartographer that can provide you with maps of hard to find areas and other such places for a price.

Hendrik
01-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Are you kidding? It seems to take an average of FOUR tries for many people to figure out which way to go when I say "go north from there", I can imagine the headaches if the map was more involved and could be rotated lol.

Agreed. Seems as we cannot even get people to actually pick up the Quest before you even need a map. People do not even wait for lost individuals on this simple mapping system we have and a more complex mapping system would only make things worse.

After you run a Quest a handful of times, map's are a moot point.

Jendrak
01-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Was also in decent. Maps right now are pretty useless.
also:
- show path
- show special places such as shrines, secret doors etc.
- show secret areas after i find them (right now my char appears in a black area of the map...)
- in big open areas, dont re-hide everything every time I go out. If I already explored a place leave it on the map.

I agree with the secret areas/doors being there after they are found.

As far as the "Fog" effect on the map goes.....i think it should come back like it does cause i use it to tell where i have been on that particular run. Maybe just make it a little lighter once you have explored it once. That way you can still use the map to find your way around and have the "marking" of where you have been this time.

Angelus_dead
01-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Something, please.
Things to do to the map:
1. Little numbers on the dots from 1-6 (or 1-12), corresponding with the Fkey you could press to target that character.

2. Green highlight around the dot of a player who is currently talking.

3. Each area may have more than one map graphic associated with it (each with its own anchor-points of correspondence to the 3d space). When a player crosses an invisible boundary placed by the designer, the current map swaps to one matching the new area. For example, Tempest Spine would have one outdoor and one indoor map image, and it would switch whenever you used the doorways into the mountain.

geoffhanna
01-31-2009, 10:11 PM
These are excellent ideas... but we still (IMHO anyway) need something that addresses the 3D nature of the more recent maps.