PDA

View Full Version : Grinding monotony thoughts.

Bogenbroom
11-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Prologue: I hate grinding, as I've mentioned before. Can't even make myself do it. I have many capped characters that I hardly ever touch. I hate running the same handful of quests over and over. So, coming from that perspective, I have a couple of thoughts to share on possible remedies to cap monotony.

#1 - Conversion of capped XP to something tangible and useful.
Turn it into a collectible that can be turned in for consumables or for a random crafting component, etc. 1000 xp widgets will get you a potion of critical repair, 50,000 will get you a small crafting component, 100,000 a medium, etc. You could add options for a generic end of quest type random end reward for some amount. (numbers are not suggestions, just pulled from my head.)

#2 - Acquisition of flags to make "grind" gear drop randomly.
What I would love to see is, instead of having to run the Shroud over and over and over and over and over and over, you *need* to run the shroud 1 time (maybe one time on elite or hell, after the 20th run if you want) and then you are flagged to have crafting components drop in your normal loot tables. Same with any quest specific grinding collectibles. Yes, you can still go run the Shroud to ensure you get a drop, but if you go run some other level appropriate quest, there is a small chance of your crafting drop.

#3 - A reward system for clearing banks of quests.
Say that were rewards for completing large banks of quests. Make quest blocks of level 10+ quests, maybe randomly created groups generated every few weeks, that folks could complete for a 20th raid run type reward. Make the quest groups 10-15 quests at least. Don't make them logical grouping and don't just include ones in primary raid runs... I mean use things like the upper level Whisperdoom quest and the Black Anvil mines quests as well as the Crucible and Rainbow. The idea is to create an incentive to run other quests than normal, and to have the quests everyone wants to run change every few weeks.

Those are just some starter thoughts.

maddmatt70
11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
I actually like 2 quite a bit. Very creative solution..

Hordo
11-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I like all three ideas myself.

/signed

parvo
11-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Or, after you wear out new content, start a permadeath character with an established PD guild.

Opall
11-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I like those ideas Bogebroom /signed

Parvos Idea not signed :)

Opall

QuantumFX
11-12-2008, 09:32 PM
I kind of like Idea #2. Unfortunately, knowing DDO loot tables, it will drop a plethora of Large Chains and Large Bones... :rolleyes: And for Dragontouched end rewards it would have to drop runes that actually tell us what we're gonna get when we put it in the various alters.

parvo
11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
I like those ideas Bogebroom /signed

Parvos Idea not signed :)

Opall

:(