PDA

View Full Version : Why not allow one player to use up to 3 hirelings?

gregoryfl
11-09-2008, 09:37 AM
The quests are designed for 4 players, as I understand it. CR 2 means 4 level 2 characters. If this is correct then why not allow for someone soloing to purchase and use 3 hirelings if they want to, instead of just one? This way they can have their 4 level 2 characters for the CR 2 quest, for example. If you have a full party of players, just cap it the same as if you had only players in the party.

Korvek
11-09-2008, 09:49 AM
The quests are designed for 4 players, as I understand it. CR 2 means 4 level 2 characters. If this is correct then why not allow for someone soloing to purchase and use 3 hirelings if they want to, instead of just one? This way they can have their 4 level 2 characters for the CR 2 quest, for example. If you have a full party of players, just cap it the same as if you had only players in the party.

The first reason that comes to mind is pretty straightforward: They don't want people soloing even with the hirelings. The purpose of hirelings is to fill out a group, not to be the only other "players" in it.

Sirea
11-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Hirelings aren't meant to replace human players, just to fill in gaps in the party if you can't find a certain class you need, like a cleric. If you could get that many hirelings, why ever play with other humans again?

Strakeln
11-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Hirelings aren't meant to replace human players, just to fill in gaps in the party if you can't find a certain class you need, like a cleric. If you could get that many hirelings, why ever play with other humans again?Is there anything wrong with that (not playing with humans again)? Lots of games are solo-only, and DDO supports plenty of soloing for the hardy adventurer.

If someone wants to "solo" using hirelings, I have no problem with that. Why should anyone?

Aspenor
11-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Is there anything wrong with that (not playing with humans again)? Lots of games are solo-only, and DDO supports plenty of soloing for the hardy adventurer.

If someone wants to "solo" using hirelings, I have no problem with that. Why should anyone?

Agree, to each their own.

Kanamycin
11-09-2008, 02:27 PM
I encouraged quite a few of my family members to try this game out ,and the one thing they complained about is the necessity of having a group as opposed to WOW a game they play .

having said that, i havent used hirelings yet and am under the impression that they come with their own hot bars,
it may be trouble to code the ability to have more than one hireling

Impaqt
11-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Its not really Soloing if you have another player inthe instance. Regardless of who's controlling it.

Aspenor
11-09-2008, 02:44 PM
personally i'd argue that completing a dungeon with 3 hirelings (no deaths of course) would deserve a post in the Achievements forums

Gol
11-10-2008, 12:22 AM
personally i'd argue that completing a dungeon with 3 hirelings (no deaths of course) would deserve a post in the Achievements forums
Solo then summon them before you loot the last chest for completion? :D

Garth_of_Sarlona
11-10-2008, 12:36 AM
If you want 3 hirelings, just pretend that 2 of the other people in the party are hirelings - like keep commenting that their AI must be broken if they don't keep hasting you, or run into the middle of the room and die, or refuse to heal you. It's easy once you try!

Garth

Ringos
11-10-2008, 08:33 AM
If you want 3 hirelings, just pretend that 2 of the other people in the party are hirelings - like keep commenting that their AI must be broken if they don't keep hasting you, or run into the middle of the room and die, or refuse to heal you. It's easy once you try!

Garth

Right here...best post of the thread! :)

Lorien_the_First_One
11-10-2008, 10:18 AM

Garth

lmao... Ok, I am so gonna do that

Thelmallen
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Garth

Beautifully spoken! You, sir, are eloquent!

Zenako
11-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Having experienced the "joy" of a single hireling on Risia, I shudder to think of the "fun" trying to control 3 at a time. Kinda like hitting the "R" key and walking away and hoping to make it to the end of the dungeon....