PDA

View Full Version : A Look Into Mod 8 & Mod 9 with GameBanshee

Tolero
11-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Join GameBanshee as they discuss Module 8 and Module 9 with Kate Paiz! Click here (http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/dndonline6-1.php) for the full article!

KoboldKiller
11-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Interesting read, looks pretty good.

Pallol_One-Eye
11-06-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm a tad concerned about Kate's date for the MOD 9 drop. This sounds like this may have been Turbine's plan all along. If this is the case, the dates we had been given earlier, even by a large step of the imagination, are again nowhere near being accurate.

Any thoughts?

BTW, this is no bust on Tolero or any of the Community Relations folks. They can only relay the info they are given.

Impaqt
11-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Kate: Module 9, currently slated for our 3rd anniversary, will feature a bunch of great changes, some of which we are sharing and some which we are keeping mum about at present.

:(

GB: How is work progressing on the Druid class and the Half-Orc/Half-Elf races? What advantages will these new additions offer to players?

Kate: Work is going well :). The Druid class will feature classic abilities, like shape-shifting, and we’re very excited about getting it out to players sometime mid next year. The Half Orc and Half Elf will be coming sooner, probably in Module 10, and will also echo their classic, D&D player handbook selves. Everyone is very excited about the Half-Orc’s +2 strength bonus as well as customizing their tusks.

With Mod 9 in Feb/March, wouldnt htat put Mod 10 "Mid next year?"

My favorite 8th level spell introduced was Trap the Soul, which allows a Sorcerer or Wizard to force a particularly nasty monster’s life force and its body into a gem on a failed Will save. This gem can then be used as an ingredient in an Eldritch Device for certain crafting rituals.

oRLY? Crafting RitualS?

Gamebansee definatly needs more Pop-up adds.... ALways makes for a good read....

man.. Reading this kinda took the air outta my sails a bit.... It sure would be nice if Kate owuld pop by our little forums here to offer some clarification on some of this stuff... alas..... I'm not gonna hol dmy breath.

ArkoHighStar
11-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm a tad concerned about Kate's date for the MOD 9 drop. This sounds like this may have been Turbine's plan all along. If this is the case, the dates we had been given earlier, even by a large step of the imagination, are again nowhere near being accurate.

Any thoughts?

BTW, this is no bust on Tolero or any of the Community Relations folks. They can only relay the info they are given.

DDO's annivesrary is February 28th, so technically they would deliver in their January/February estimate they gave at GenCon. I think in the end this suprises no one. January was just way too early given Turbine's recent release history. I am in no way making excuses for Turbine, but I can't say that I am surprised.

ArkoHighStar
11-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Some things stick out both good and bad

Confirmed no expansion pack, and it looks like the NPE was part of a larger plan with Atari that well as one would expect with Atari went nowhere

GB: At one point, there were rumors that Turbine was working on a full expansion pack for Dungeons & Dragons Online. There were even retail listings for a "Dungeons & Dragons Online: Forsaken Lands". Just to set the record straight, was an expansion ever in development? If so, why was it cancelled or put on hold? If not, would you ever consider releasing some type of add-on, if only to get the game back on retail shelves?

Kate: We’ve put out 18 free live updates or modules over the last two and a half years, but have never done an expansion pack. At one point, we were talking with Atari about going back to retail, but decided to focus instead to getting great, fun content out to our subscribers. We do not currently have an expansion in development, but are working on some things that I think players will really like for Module 9, and look forward to talking with you more about them in a few months.

seems they may have changed their mind on flagging

GB: Some of the game's earlier raids have become a lot less popular over the years, simply because a majority of the loot isn't as good as what can be found in later raids and getting raid-ready (for Vault of Night and Zawabi's Revenge, in particular) requires much more of a time investment. Are there any plans to make some of the earlier raids more enticing and accessible?

Kate: We’ve been focusing on creating new content, but have heard a lot of requests to update the older raids to a more accessible model. It’s not planned at present, but is something we discuss on a regular basis so while I don’t have an announcement on that at present, it is definitely possible we’ll go back and revise them at some point in the near future.

So mod 9 will see more prestige classes as anticipated and some interesting spells

GB: What can we expect in terms of feats, spells, and other additions when the level cap is raised to 18? How about when the cap reaches 20?

Kate: Players are going to enjoy some amazing spells from the 9th level list, including Mordenkainen's Disjunction, which will temporarily strip all the magical properties off equipped items. We’ve also got the instant death spells of Weird and Wail of the Banshee, and players will be pleased that they will be able to cast Meteor Swarm (the Pit Fiends can’t have all the fun!) Regretfully, Wish and Time Stop will not be introduced with Module 9, though, as the challenges in bringing them to life in an MMO still require more balance and tuning testing. We will also be filling in some lower level spells, such as the Prismatic spells, so that lower level players get some additional abilities as well.

In addition to the expected feats, players will be able to choose from a selection of Prestige enhancements that really add to the character’s abilities. One such enhancement, the Paladin’s Hunter of the Dead, will make Paladin more resistant to the attacks of the undead and gives any attack they make against the undead have a chance of behaving like a Vorpal Strike.

I love this question looks like some of them actually play DDO as they complained about the lag:eek:

GB: What sort of plans do you have for DDO in the coming months on the technical side of things? For example, our groups seem to be experiencing more lag recently, there are still some Windows Vista compatability issues, and, the last time I checked, high resolutions like 2560x1600 could be picked but still can't be accepted.

Kate: The resolution issue has been fixed with Module 8, as have some of the Vista compatibility issues. Module 8 also brings support for DX10 for those players with Vista. Also, in the past week we’ve made some hardware and software improvements which should ameliorate certain types of lag, though the lag monster is a multi-headed beast, and we’ll continue to work on it in the coming months.

ahpook
11-06-2008, 01:27 PM
DDO's annivesrary is February 28th, so technically they would deliver in their January/February estimate they gave at GenCon. I think in the end this suprises no one. January was just way too early given Turbine's recent release history. I am in no way making excuses for Turbine, but I can't say that I am surprised.

I wasn't suprised either but if they are already starting to say late Feb, does that mean we are really talking April? I liked the talk of end of the year/january as that gave us a decent shot to get the update by Feb.

The_Ick
11-06-2008, 01:27 PM
So do we have a rough release timeline for Mod 9?

I know they have said they have some plans to do some live events to roll out hirelings and Mod 8 ran a little late. Does that mean that we are looking at Feb/Mar for Mod 9? Hopefully Mod 8 & 9 where being in parellel so Mod 8 running late won't effect the Mod 9 release date.

Definately looks good though. I am really looking forward to the lever increase.

Obviously nothing is set in stone, but a general idea would be cool.

Kraki
11-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Quoted from page 2 of the article.

GB: You've already made some references to a Module 9 update, too. What will Module 9 bring to the table and what sort of timeline are you looking at for its release?

Kate: Module 9, currently slated for our 3rd anniversary, will feature a bunch of great changes, some of which we are sharing and some which we are keeping mum about at present.

Kraki

Oxvon
11-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Level increase is sweet, don't care if it is 2 years late, as long as I can start getting XP again without re-rolling.

ArkoHighStar
11-06-2008, 01:33 PM
named raid loot that stacks like mod 7, so no new crafting

GB: What new raids will be introduced in Module 8 and Module 9? Any chance you can give us an example or two of new raid loot being introduced in either of these two modules?

Kate: Well, Module 8 doesn’t include a raid – we heard from a lot of players that raids as the only end game wasn’t ideal, so we are giving those who don’t love raids a break in this module with a final dungeon that is a very challenging 6 person adventure. Module 9 will definitely include a fantastic raid (hope you like a whole lot of Pit Fiends and Horned Devils) and we’ve got some great raid loot to go with it. These raid items will not leverage the crafting system – that is something for M8, but in M9 we are focusing on more traditional named raid items that instead combine to greater heights. Some of the high-level Enhancements players can get at level 20 will also stack with the raid set bonuses to give even greater benefits.

frugal_gourmet
11-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I've honestly been under the impression Mod 9 was coming out in February for a long time.

GreyRogue
11-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I love this question looks like some of them actually play DDO as they complained about the lag:eek:

Agreed. This interview actually reads like the interviewer plays the game regularly (and reads the forums, judging by the question about re-flagging). Nice change of pace from some of the other interviews where the "journalist" seems to have spent about 20 minutes poking around the Harbor to prepare for the interview.

ArkoHighStar
11-06-2008, 01:37 PM
I wasn't suprised either but if they are already starting to say late Feb, does that mean we are really talking April? I liked the talk of end of the year/january as that gave us a decent shot to get the update by Feb.

I imagine there will be a lot of pressure to deliver on this date, as it is already on the edge of their original timeline, and they can use it as the anniversary content on top of deliering the mod

Dracolich
11-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I didnt see anything on the interview about fixing any existing stuff or will we just get a larger "Known Issues" list. I can only immagine how borked Druids will be after seeing what Monks turned out to be like. I hate to sound pesemistic but I am not holding my breath.

swooshrp
11-06-2008, 01:41 PM

Any thoughts?

Even at the release of mod 9 at anniversary, Feb 28, thats at least a month behind from Kate's original timeframe. Thats giving her the benefit of the doubt when she said "New year" meaning by end of January. Knowing Turbine's track record, I would expect mod 9 to hit around end of March. :(

Another point as they go over all the release dates of modules...I count 3 mods per year, hardly a quarterly release as they mentioned when transitioning from monthly updates to the current release schedule.

Turbine just confirmed my reasoning to leave the game for a while. Mod 8 was a bust, imo. I will likely be back, but not till the new year...which means March, right Turbine?:eek:

ArkoHighStar
11-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I didnt see anything on the interview about fixing any existing stuff or will we just get a larger "Known Issues" list. I can only immagine how borked Druids will be after seeing what Monks turned out to be like. I hate to sound pesemistic but I am not holding my breath.

bug fixes are general not discussed in these kinds of interviews, as they are looking for positive press not hashing up problems, although the interviewer did get in a question about lag which was funny to see

ArkoHighStar
11-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Even at the release of mod 9 at anniversary, Feb 28, thats at least a month behind from Kate's original timeframe. Thats giving her the benefit of the doubt when she said "New year" meaning by end of January. Knowing Turbine's track record, I would expect mod 9 to hit around end of March. :(

Another point as they go over all the release dates of modules...I count 3 mods per year, hardly a quarterly release as they mentioned when transitioning from monthly updates to the current release schedule.

Turbine just confirmed my reasoning to leave the game for a while. Mod 8 was a bust, imo. I will likely be back, but not till the new year...which means March, right Turbine?:eek:

we never did get quarterly updates, last year had 2 mods, mods 4 and mod 5, this year will be 3 mods, even the first year we only got 3 full mods( but we did get monthly mods)

rimble
11-06-2008, 02:03 PM
seems they may have changed their mind on flagging

That's definitely possible. *laugh* I hate when I say stuff like that, at least most people don't dissect what I say.

BattleCircle
11-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Kate Paiz = Herm Edwards.....

Nuff Said.

Qzipoun
11-06-2008, 07:06 PM
She does such a good job at making me want to hate this game :/

I love the logic in her answer for the raids question. "Oh, players told us that only having raids as end game is not fun, so instead of giving them a raid we gave them a quest". ARE YOU KIDDING!? No one complained until you stopped giving us quests and forced raids to be the main end-game. You fix that issue by giving us more quests with the raids (like mods 1-5) not by not giving us a raid, that just masks the issue it doesn't solve it.

ICU
11-06-2008, 07:36 PM
wow looks real sweet cant wait to see it next year then :)

mons
11-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Kate Paiz = Herm Edwards.....

Nuff Said.

You mean turning a contender into a pretender Herm Edwards?

BLAKROC
11-07-2008, 12:38 AM
instead of mod 8 it really should be mod 7,5 as hirelings are not in the game and in her interview she does mention hirelings!!

Why o why are they even talking about mod 9 when mod 8 was the buggiest since mod 4 ? this game really needs to be fixed before they continue to move forward, oh and please Fix the lag:cool:

thatguy
11-07-2008, 09:34 AM
They must be having real issues with hirelings. They have been promising them for months and then they yanked them from Mod 8. As far as the level cap goes I would have liked to see the cap raised by 2 with mod 8 and then 2 more with mod 9. Mod 8 bores me because there was no cap increase. The level cap should be raised with every mod and now we have to wait till February of next year for an increase that should have been there to begin with. New content is awesome but that should be tied with a cap increase, period. The game bores me and I may put it down till mod 9. As it stands now I only log for an hour anyway and then go play some other game.

Its a real shame they don't listen about the level cap. To me its a major drawback to this game.

ArkoHighStar
11-07-2008, 09:43 AM
They must be having real issues with hirelings. They have been promising them for months and then they yanked them from Mod 8. As far as the level cap goes I would have liked to see the cap raised by 2 with mod 8 and then 2 more with mod 9. Mod 8 bores me because there was no cap increase. The level cap should be raised with every mod and now we have to wait till February of next year for an increase that should have been there to begin with. New content is awesome but that should be tied with a cap increase, period. The game bores me and I may put it down till mod 9. As it stands now I only log for an hour anyway and then go play some other game.

Its a real shame they don't listen about the level cap. To me its a major drawback to this game.

its also the most difficult part of the game to code, re spells. There does not have to be a lvl cap increase every mod, but there should be something new, and this mod just had redressed simplified shroud crafting for armor which is not new. Mod 7 at least had a new class which extended content for some. The NPE really does nothing for vets as it is a one time new experience, and not really somewhere we want to go back to over and over again.

thatguy
11-07-2008, 09:53 AM
its also the most difficult part of the game to code, re spells. There does not have to be a lvl cap increase every mod.

This is a matter of opinion, it isn't mine but I respect it. By that I mean that I understand the coding is daunting however there should have still been a cap increase regardless. Personally, I find mod 8 is pretty underwhelming.

GovtMule
11-07-2008, 01:50 PM
More Kate Paiz video interviews, please!

Wow! I'm really that transparent. :D

DasLurch
11-07-2008, 03:00 PM

Any thoughts?

It seems that they were now pushing this "Mod" out early and unpolished in order to appease us while waiting to drop the other shoe about how long it will take to get Mod 9 (the one we are ALL waiting on btw) on the live servers. If we are now looking at Feb (or more likely MARCH) for Mod 9, I can count that it would be 14 months since we would have gotten any sort of real expansion (e.g. high level content) for the game. I sincerely hope that the wait is not going to be as long as that. I must say that this news is only disappointing as of right now. Maybe it was a slight verbal gaff, but I'm putting my $ on a March update as of now.

The other news about the 1/2 races and Druids was nice to hear, but I'm thinking we'll be lucky to get one next year, and more likely not any. If Mod 9 hits in the Feb/Mar timeline, that would mean fixes and patches on that stuff until May/June. Making 2 such additions after that very unlikely in my eyes. The track record here has been too well established at this point.

RTN
11-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Am I missing something? Mod 9 in late February. Mod 10 will have half orcs and half elves. Mod 11 sounds like Monks, which should appear mid next year. Mod 10 will come no earlier than June or July. That makes Mod 11, which is "mid next year" for November 2009. To me, mid next year means around June or July. I guess she and I have different understandings of English or she's using a different calendar than the standard one.

query
11-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Well Team, since you FINALLY seemed almost ready to master druid total shifting,could you add SHIFTER which STARTS looking sorta like a hybrid when created and prefers to be a ranger? No kooky animations needed except to make new heads and torsos to fit the shifter type.

And I'm nopt even going to start with changling or artificer here.......they can't even put in a gnome for crying out loud let alone the new races and classes.

Nevthial
11-16-2008, 01:38 PM
This is a matter of opinion, it isn't mine but I respect it. By that I mean that I understand the coding is daunting however there should have still been a cap increase regardless. Personally, I find mod 8 is pretty underwhelming.

And who says it isn't already coded either..........

I find myself wondering how many updates LOTRO will get between the release of Mod 9 and now as well......

DasLurch
03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I hate to necro this thread, but man I seem to be off for my prediction/hope that we were going to see Mod 9 this month. Looking more like late April/May now. The silence over the possibility of a release date and any new bits that will be included in Mod 9 is really getting rediculous. Come on Team Turbine, give us some actual information please???? ;)

ThrasherGT
03-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Holy Necro, Batman!

Mike_Fun_Spot
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
MOD 9 9 MOD 9 9 MOD 9 9 MOD 9 MOD 9!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w198/sdcg81/angrymob.jpg

I know im quite the artist lol

anastasius
03-24-2009, 09:29 PM
I hate to necro this thread, but man I seem to be off for my prediction/hope that we were going to see Mod 9 this month. Looking more like late April/May now. The silence over the possibility of a release date and any new bits that will be included in Mod 9 is really getting rediculous. Come on Team Turbine, give us some actual information please???? ;)

<snark on>

Actually, why should Turbine give us concrete information? After all, even with the vague info (Sooooooon(tm)) we have been given everyone is pressing to show that Turbine is the very bestest game designers for a second year running in that March Mayhem http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=176294 thingamajig. So, it is apparent that whatever they are doing is working as intended. Hey it is merely enough to know that we won't have to reflag for the demon queen once Mod 9 goes live in 2010. That's your bit of actual information.

Just give us two more months of Soon(tm) before you release Mod 9 and you can plausibly get away with only doing one mod this year. You're doing a heck of a job Turbine. And well deserving of your super bestest golly gee wiliakers developers of the year for a second year award when you get it.

</snark>

Better yet, set a firm date like "Mod 9 will go live on August 1, 2009" and then beat that date. (Isn't that what Scotty told Laforge on a STNG episode? "Always appear to be a miracle worker by beating the deadline you told them.") Give us something more than Sooon(tm).

And yes, I agree, "Holy thread necromancy, Batman."

moonprophet
06-20-2009, 03:05 PM
...what is your perspective on this in hindsight?