PDA

View Full Version : Any plans on making Tumble work as in PnP?

Gol
11-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Specifically, the part that says "If you have 5 or more ranks in Tumble, you gain a +3 dodge bonus to AC when fighting defensively instead of the usual +2 dodge bonus to AC"? (3.5 PHB, pg 85, first sentence)

Aka, 5 ranks in Tumble + Combat Expertise = +8 AC
and 5 ranks in Tumble + Defensive Fighting = +5 AC

And "If you have 5 or more ranks in Tumble, you gain a +6 dodge bonus to AC when executing the total defense standard action instead of the usual +4 dodge bonus to AC" (same page, next paragraph)

Aka Shield Blocking.

Tanka
11-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Specifically, the part that says "If you have 5 or more ranks in Tumble, you gain a +3 dodge bonus to AC when fighting defensively instead of the usual +2 dodge bonus to AC"? (3.5 PHB, pg 85, first sentence)

Aka, 5 ranks in Tumble + Combat Expertise = +8 AC
and 5 ranks in Tumble + Defensive Fighting = +5 AC

And "If you have 5 or more ranks in Tumble, you gain a +6 dodge bonus to AC when executing the total defense standard action instead of the usual +4 dodge bonus to AC" (same page, next paragraph)

Aka Shield Blocking.
You misread. The Defensive Fighting stance is fighting defensively in PnP. So it'd just go up to +3, not +5. CE is unaffected.

Gol
11-05-2008, 03:11 PM
You misread. The Defensive Fighting stance is fighting defensively in PnP. So it'd just go up to +3, not +5. CE is unaffected.
pg 140: "This bonus stacks with the AC bonus granted by the Combat Expertise feat".
So it's in addition to, though in DDO they're exclusive.

Korvek
11-05-2008, 03:28 PM
pg 140: "This bonus stacks with the AC bonus granted by the Combat Expertise feat".
So it's in addition to, though in DDO they're exclusive.

I still think you misread. The Tumble bonus gives an additional 1 point of Armor Class when "fighting defensively."

So CE would total 6, not 8.

The primary difficulty I see with doing that for Tumble is that they would have to give the synergy effects for all skills, though I'm certainly not opposed to it.

Edit: The Total Defense option is a part of the Dwarven Defender Prestige class, which is a bit different than shield blocking. Personally I wouldn't give an AC bonus to Shield Blocking based on Tumble skill.

Gennerik
11-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Or what about the DC 35 Free Stand (Stand up as a Free Action) maybe translating to getting up automatically after being tripped if you make the check.