PDA

View Full Version : Guild Housing - some ideas

Sirea
11-05-2008, 12:11 PM
I've heard the idea of guild housing being bounced around as something that may be coming to DDO in an upcoming Mod. Now I don't know exactly how it works, DDO is my first and only MMO so I don't know how guild housing is done in other games. But I think it sounds like a great idea and I have some thoughts about it that have been floating around in my head the last few days...

As to how it could be implemented, I see one of two ways. One - there could be some guy outside a building that you talk to to gain access to your guild housing, of two - make all those "empty" uncoded doorways all around Stormreach into "rentable" spaces that guilds could buy and use for their guild housing. I see the problem with #2, as there would be limited spaces available and it could potentially ruffle fur if one guild got a "prime" spot someone else wanted, but I still think it'd be neat to have them scattered around town like little HQ offices. But I definitely see #1 as being the most viable and fair option.

So you talk to the guild housing guy (I hear Gerry Goodblade is out of a job ;) ) and he ports you to a little instanced room that is your guild housing (accessable only to those who carry the guild tag, if there's a way to put this into the code). There could be a bulletin board for you to post messages to your guildies (because those two lines in guild tab just don't cut it sometimes and not everyone checks guild websites), or even a calendar where you could post planned raids/quests or special dates. There could be a "locker room" so to say, a place where you could store some extra stuff, like an extra inventory slot. There could even be a general vendor with just simple pots and ammo or a barkeep, or maybe you could even bind there if it's in a central location.

Anyway, I think it's a neat idea and I'll be curious to see if it's coming with one of the mods coming down the road...

Lorien_the_First_One
11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Hopefully guild housing is not a priority. I'd rather they work on feats and spells that are missing from the game, as well as adding more quests and raids.

Kerrn_Siff
11-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Hopefully guild housing is not a priority. I'd rather they work on feats and spells that are missing from the game, as well as adding more quests and raids.

Here's a radical idea.. how about they work on BOTH.. *gasp* *the horror* :eek:

My feeling is they are talented enough to work on projects in a parallel fashion.

rezo
11-05-2008, 01:00 PM
why guild housing? Do you really need to go somewhere to talk in general not guild chat? I see the need for guild banks not housing.

darthmaul121783
11-05-2008, 01:06 PM
i would vote for guild banks before guild housing

Sirea
11-05-2008, 01:07 PM
why guild housing? Do you really need to go somewhere to talk in general not guild chat? I see the need for guild banks not housing.

That's what we have guild chat for; notice I didn't say anything about there being a special general chat channel for the housing itself. I don't think that guildies should have to miss out on conversation just because they're not in the guild house. Guild banks might be needed by some of the larger guilds, I'm sure...that's what I was getting at by suggesting they offer a little extra storage space in the guild house, maybe not a traditional "guild bank" where everyone throws their stuff, but extra storage space nonetheless.

Obviously there will be the need for more quests and things like that, that should come as standard for new mods. I was just talking about something a little extra, not as a priority but a fun little "aside." That's all :)

Kerrn_Siff
11-05-2008, 01:10 PM

I would assume the guild bank would be included. Also it would be cool. It's a game, cool is good. There could be trophies for raids or achievements etc on the walls, mailboxes, tavern, the equivalent of the portable hole for wealthy guilds.

It would give us something else to do in game, another goal to work towards. I know at this point many people are pretty freaking bored.

Dymond
11-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I had very similar ideas for a Guild House as well.. I think idea#1 makes more sense because its more manageable. Maybe you have a 'Guild House' door like a quest that takes you to your instance when you click on it. When I think of the storage area I had the same idea but I almost see it similar to buying and selling from a vendor. You can donate items to the guild storage or take an item from the storage. I think it would be cool though if officers of the guild could either let the the items be free for maybe charge a small donation fee for every item that could go into the guild coffers.

Opall
11-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I have wanted some type of guild housing for a very long time.

I like both of your option for how to get in the house. Imo, I think the guy you talk to would be better. I would LOVE to be able to visably see my guild house, however I do think that people would gripe and complain about locations and such.

The event calender is also a great idea. I have a very small guild. We have no web site. All the events I plan for us have to go in the Mod......there is not enough room sometimes :(

Another thing that would work is allowing us to earn things for our house. 1. Collectables could be one way to get things. It would give them more of a reason. 2. Favor running. I Hate favor running. If there was some type of housing gain for doing this stuff then it would be more appealing to me.

Charge us for things to put in the house. I know not all ddo players have tons of Plat, but they will sooner or later. Give me something to spend my money on.

There is probly 1000 more things I would like to see but just cant think of now.
I will come back to this thread later and add more.

Opall

Byzantian
11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I would prefer to play new stuff and extend the character LvL's beyond 20 than looking at ****** guild stuff :D

Kerrn_Siff
11-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I would prefer to play new stuff and extend the character LvL's beyond 20 than looking at ****** guild stuff :D

again, why does everyone assume both things can't be pursued at the same time?

Doesn't LoTR have housing already anyway?

Lorien_the_First_One
11-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Here's a radical idea.. how about they work on BOTH.. *gasp* *the horror* :eek:

My feeling is they are talented enough to work on projects in a parallel fashion.

Your radical idea ignores reality. Dev time is a finite quantity, any time taken to do A detracts from B. It isn't a matter of talent, its just that there are a limited number of hours in the day.

Inkblack
11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
DDO is my first and only MMO, so I don't know what guild housing really is.

Basically it is a private room, correct? I guess I just don't get the significance. What makes it special? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I'm asking out of ignorance.

Ink

Kerrn_Siff
11-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Your radical idea ignores reality. Dev time is a finite quantity, any time taken to do A detracts from B. It isn't a matter of talent, its just that there are a limited number of hours in the day.

That argument is getting so old.

In truth the game is getting old and if they don't do something to increase the player experience, even just porting over from 'other games' Off The Turbine Shelf type things they will lose a huge number of proponents.

Guild housing would be awesome and keep people interested, as would even just a guild banking mechanism. Sorry if that doesn't fall into your personal 'important' bucket.

Lorien_the_First_One
11-05-2008, 06:31 PM
That argument is getting so old.

In truth the game is getting old and if they don't do something to increase the player experience, even just porting over from 'other games' Off The Turbine Shelf type things they will lose a huge number of proponents.

Guild housing would be awesome and keep people interested, as would even just a guild banking mechanism. Sorry if that doesn't fall into your personal 'important' bucket.

More quests would keep more people interested than guild housing. I mean really, what's the point of guild housing? Guild bank I could see, but housing?

Rog
11-05-2008, 07:01 PM
you loot a chest and got a rare treasure map drop. this is a random quest for a keep or guild house. unlike other quest in the game this raid has 25 people in it and all must be in the same guild. and it is a siege fight with dragons and other high level mobs if you win you get the keep/guildhouse if you loose then the map dispears and you get nothing
win: a chance to upgrade the house and fix a broken crafting device allows you to craft items and put them on the ah. make the cost so hi to fix up the house take the entire guild chiping in 100 million plat or somthing stupid.
never happen but talk about a grind and time sink who would have the most uber guildhouse then have randoms mobs spawn and start attacking the house.\ sorry guy got to go the guild house is under attack and they need me.
lunarsong

Mindspat
11-05-2008, 07:11 PM
i would vote for guild banks before guild housing

As would I, but I would like something more then just "housing". I would like an instance such as a choice of 1 out of 3 outdoor instances with another choice of 1 astle, Keep, Fortress, Tower, etc, that could be used as a function for guild matters that would include, but not be limited to, Quest Queing, class trainers, teleporter, guild bank, guild accomplishments, as well with random mobs in the area which would attack and cause the structure to become dilapitated without repair.

There's so many issues with the core of the game that this would introduce although the upside could influence a wave of new players and more development monies!

p.s. A guild bank would be awesome!

Kerrn_Siff
11-05-2008, 07:18 PM
More quests would keep more people interested than guild housing. I mean really, what's the point of guild housing? Guild bank I could see, but housing?

well the new quests are usually run and done within a few days. guild housing could be setup to display a running history of the guild chronicling their accomplishments.

You could expand the guildhouse buy unlocking things with favor, or buying units with insane amounts of plat etc etc. It would give us something else to spend time on instead of doing lame a$$ skele loot runs or farming for firestorm greaves for the 300billionth time etc etc.

also.. lots of people would have fun with it..

Kistilan
11-05-2008, 09:02 PM
you loot a chest and got a rare treasure map drop. this is a random quest for a keep or guild house. unlike other quest in the game this raid has 25 people in it and all must be in the same guild. and it is a siege fight with dragons and other high level mobs if you win you get the keep/guildhouse if you loose then the map dispears and you get nothing
win: a chance to upgrade the house and fix a broken crafting device allows you to craft items and put them on the ah. make the cost so hi to fix up the house take the entire guild chiping in 100 million plat or somthing stupid.
never happen but talk about a grind and time sink who would have the most uber guildhouse then have randoms mobs spawn and start attacking the house.\ sorry guy got to go the guild house is under attack and they need me.
lunarsong

This would be a fantastic feature of guildhousing. I would make maps special instanced quests to begin from the Guild House, stepping through a portal to the other planes. (Level 20 Content, boo-yah!). Then, you gather things like Seals, Pedestals, Wards, etc by successfully completing the very-hard and very-not-walk-through treasure map quests. These can be installed into the Guild House & create a random chance for other-worldly attacks on the Guild House & also a random chest with random unique loots. See how much randomness would be involved? Some incredible stuff could come out of the chests.

Along the same tokens, I believe adventures that equip defenses, npcs, etc all could be installed on treasure maps of varying degree levels (a level 3 treasure map to score some level 2-5 henchmen as possible rare loots, etc). With the hirelings available, this isn't a far-fetched idea. Guildhouses could be based on a total level of the Guildmaster holding the House to apply to henchmen as well as upgrades done by varying Guild Treasure Maps, etc.

Tricking out Guild Houses would become a major thing for all and a huge social function.

I seriously love this idea (I'm just fleshing out what Rog said more or less).

The possiblities are amazing now that I've pondered it for 10 minutes. ;)

Jadeare
11-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I can understand how people can be against this idea. Especially if they believe that it will decrease the total amount of quest content.

It would decrease the quest content, that is indisputable.

It does however open up the possibility of an awesome extension to the game that would help keep the 10 character capped power gamers around a bit longer. Do you seriously think you won't get caught up in the idea of decking out your guildhouse, expanding it from a shanty in the harbour district to a fortress in its own dimensional plane?

Imagine like was suggested before there were maps that dropped in chests at about the frequency of portable holes.

"Crude Map"

Outlined on this worn animal hide are the directions to a small room hidden inside the harbour sewer system. Perhaps an ideal meeting spot for a gang of cut throats?

LVL 16 (Max current level) Quest fighting a gang of thieves, possibly hobgoblin. One shot at completion only.

"Glowing Crystalline Map"

Trapped within this crystal is the image of a towering fortress. Devilish Gargoyles circle the spires while Renders stalk the grounds. The remains of a great battle litter the grounds, a dragons wing protruding from the earth bent mangled and shattered. This keep must once have been a staging ground for the dragons assault on Xoriat.

LVL 16 Raid, Three part, Fighting Beholders, Renders and a few unique named creatures. One Shot at completion.

That is how i would envisage the quests to get the guild housing anyway. I believe they should be capped quests so they are never just a walk in the park. I think obtaining a shot at the fortress should be rare but not quite as rare as Adamantine WoP Rapiers. The better your guild hall the higher the maintenance, a good money sink and encouragement for an expanded guild player base.

Tin_Dragon
11-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I had some of these, back in ye old thread here

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=125823

I don't think this is a Major Priority, but it should be much much higher on the list that higherlings... yeah, I said it.