PDA

View Full Version : Custom Clothing, Armor, Shields

shores11
11-01-2008, 08:46 AM
I am one of those people that believe sometimes someone else may do it better or have a nice idea that makes since to incorporate into your own closet of goodies. Hey Bill Gates did that at Microsoft borrowed (or stole) ideas to improve his product.

My Idea:
Tailor NPC: Add a tailor to the game in his own little shop maybe one of those specialized shops or general shops no one goes in anymore. At the most basic level he/she could have the ability to allow a player to place a bought or looted (maybe no to a named item) robe, pants, shirt, outfit or cloak if they ever become visible in game and alter the appearance. This NPC tailor would not be able to take away or add any enhancments to clothing just the way it looks.

When the player places, as an example their outfit into the tailor slot that would pop up when spoken to they could click on an appearance button that at the very least displays all available styles currently in game. There coul also be another button to click on that would allow a player to alter the color pallette for that outfit.

Armor NPC
They already exist in game just add the ability to do to shields and armor as I mentioned above in the tailor paragrapgh.

Just one of my crazy ideas that I feel would add another enjotable option to the game. This should'nt be that hard to implement at this very basic form and maybe down the road it could even be ehanced some, who knows. What do you think of this?

Fizban

The_Phenx
11-01-2008, 08:51 AM
/signed

Everyone would be in pink full plate. :D

ArkoHighStar
11-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Crafting was at one point supposed to be a main feature of mod 8, but was dumped to get hirelings done, it was to feature craftable armor and dyes to change armor color. It has no current timeframe

shores11
11-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Crafting was at one point supposed to be a main feature of mod 8, but was dumped to get hirelings done, it was to feature craftable armor and dyes to change armor color. It has no current timeframe

Your comment is correct I know of nothing that suggests crafting for clothing or armor is coming anytime soon. However this feature or game implementation is not really what I would call crafting in any sense of the word.

This is simply placing an NPC in a shop and allowing the players to choose the look of items they loot from the already existing styles in the game.

Later maybe in Mod 17 (hehe) they can add to these NPC's the ability to allow crafting of some sort who knows.

Tolero, Tarrant or any other DDO developor is there ant feedback at all you can give to this possibility?

Fizban

Nightbreeze
11-01-2008, 12:14 PM
It shouldn't be too difficult, since I am sure the appearance of armor is just a reference to a file, and the color is just another reference. I would love to be able to walk into an armorsmith's shop, lay out some gold, and change the design and color of my favorite FullPlate (feature-wise) so I don't look like a walking hunk of dook.

shores11
11-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I agree this is not really anything new to the game everything I am suggesting is already in the game. No big development time or anything like that. All they have to do is have a similar color palette that is used when you create your character and expose the files that have the various robes and/or armor.

It would make a lot of folks happy.

Fizban

Grimtooth333
11-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Gotta sign this one...

/signed

Kaish
11-02-2008, 10:00 PM
If it mean, no more Pink on my warforfed, sign me in!!!

Therron
11-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I would love to see it implemented too being able to change the look of my armour would be great to that of a similar cool one
I cant even find a cool hat for my rogue

Lorien_the_First_One
11-16-2008, 02:37 PM
I think changing magic should have a risk.. give a % chance at permant damage equal to repairing the item if it was fully broken (you are retailoring the thing after all)

Dealing with ugly items is part of the lore of D&D..you are after all wearing things you looted from corpses of dead creatures of all races and all backgrounds.

krud
11-16-2008, 02:38 PM
This is simply placing an NPC in a shop and allowing the players to choose the look of items they loot from the already existing styles in the game.
Fizban

/signed

I've suggested exactly this a number of times. I always thought it should cost the base price of the item to switch appearances. If ever turbine were looking for another plat sink this would be a good one.

ShaeNightbird
11-16-2008, 02:55 PM
/signed
There is some fugly armour and other clothing out there.:eek: Venn wouldn't even be caught dead wearing it. Blech!

Cold_Stele
11-17-2008, 05:22 AM
I wonder what percentage of the server wear the Minos helm along with Dragontouched armor, Icey Raiment or Blue/Black Dragonscale?

We need to bring in tailoring to stop DDO looking like Attack of the Clones...

Therron
11-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Even if it was a tailor as suggested and did another random skin and color keeping the same magic properties like that repair guy in that magic shop even if its a favor grind thing with the free agents or something

Dealing with ugly items is part of the lore of D&D..you are after all wearing things you looted from corpses of dead creatures of all races and all backgrounds.

also they might be looted from dead creatures
but it is mostly fine crafted mithral items those creatures didn't make them they looted them from other famous adventures
or stole them on raids
Not many dragons make their own treasure they steal it cos it looks pretty and shiny.
I want pretty shiny loot too

Vorn
11-17-2008, 12:53 PM
How about a system where you could quest for tailoring tokens and then put the item and the token in a tailoring alter-altar, pull the lever and then a random skin/color replaces the one you had, and you could scatter the tokens throughout all the existing content, yeah, that's the ticket, and then make a different token for colors of the torso, arms, legs, and then a different token for the shape, the amount of skin shown, and, and, and...:eek:

All proceeds from these slot machines would, naturally, be used to benefit the children of Stormreach education fund.
:)

J/k. I like the idea of custom costuming. Reaver refuge is starting to look mighty uniform.

Emili
11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I wonder what percentage of the server wear the Minos helm along with Dragontouched armor, Icey Raiment or Blue/Black Dragonscale?

We need to bring in tailoring to stop DDO looking like Attack of the Clones...

LOL, I remember a time when more half the fighters, pallys and clerics were running around in scavanged plate and the melee were weilding retribution:p

/signed

Chaos000
11-17-2008, 02:39 PM
If an altered armor/shield had to be bound and were to cost siberys dragonshards in addition to some gold to modify, I'm pretty sure it would also be a good way to get in-game plat out of the economy.

bigpun
11-17-2008, 03:02 PM
I was saying this to myself the other night while I was logging out and seeing "myself in the mirror". A little tired of seeing everyone looking the same. I'm trying the trial of City of Heroes, lots of customization in there. Hard pressed to find anyone that looks like you.

The fact is they have the tech to do this. This from the European server who is running a competition.

"In addition to these categories one lucky competitor will win ‘Amaurea’s Most Imaginative Creation’ and the winner of this prize will receive a Full Character Makeover!

So what does this mean? Well have you ever found that perfect set of armour for example + 5 Mithral Full Plate only to wear it and find that it’s Green and Pink so you never wear it? Well with this makeover your existing armor / helm / shield / weapon will be restyled in a skin and color of your choosing. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to have your own character re-modeled by a GM to create the look you desire for your character! (Picture Courtesy of Chasek)

There are some rules regarding the new skin: It will be allowed to change the skin of any visible item - common or named - to a style you like, but you may not choose the skin of an existing unique item as your dream outfit (for example: you can swap the skin of your Dragonscale Armour to something else, but you can't choose the Dragonscale Armour skin for your item)"

So my question is when can we see it ?

P.S. here is the link for the rest of the European competition http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4654655#post4654655
or just go DDOcast.

Hordo
11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
/signed

BUT I still want guild housing, and now I'm demanding my own still! That's right a Still in the Loreseekers guild house for just the right alcoholic content for our Beholder Sight Brandy. :D