PDA

View Full Version : Grouping issues on Korthos

Kreaper
10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I rolled up a character yesterday and ran a couple of the quests. My guildie rolled up a character today and has run a couple of quests but it will not let us group. It keeps telling us "You are currently on a different stage of the Korthos Island experience". What the heck is that supposed to mean? We are both still level one. We are both ready to go into the encounter area. We both even abandoned to quests we were had in our journal but it still will not let us group. Is this a bug? That isn't much of a new player experience. :mad:

Tarrant
10-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Have either of you been off of Korthos Island yet?

Kreaper
10-30-2008, 04:57 PM
No. We had not even been into the encounter area. I was able to group with him with my Lev 15 mule and hand items over but his Lev 16 was not able to group with my new character. At the time, he had only run the solo training quest. After this incident, his new character was able to leave Korthos even though he still has not even been into the encounter area but we could not group before he teleported to the harbor.

Seneca_Windforge
10-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Have either of you been off of Korthos Island yet?

I'm having similar grouping issues right now. I had a pre-mod 8 character (that I didn't mind sacrificing to the stuck on the island bug) that I was going to try out the new content with, since some of my friends had made new characters...but we couldn't group. Are you saying that characters that have been off the island can't group with ones who haven't?

There might be a couple of new people that I'm planning on bringing into the game, but I want to be able to group with them on the island. What's the reason for this? It's very disappointing.

Elements
10-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Basically I have had the same issue, the issue occurs when one person goes through the tutorial and one person chooses not to. We were able to group together once one of us put up an lfm, the other joined although it appeared as we were in two seperate instance untill we entered a quest. When traveling thru Korthos we couldnt see each other visually on the map except ocasionally the flashing blue dot. Which happens when grouped people are in different instances in the market for example. We tried to meet up in the Wavecrest, but the same thing occured basically we were in two seperate instances of the Wavecrest. Although I could open the quest we entered on hard my friend could only open the quest on normal. Could be an issue for new players going through the tutorial and experienced people skipping it and folks joining an lfm and having a hard time meeting up.

WestiesMA
10-31-2008, 01:25 AM
This is really confusing, even for someone who has played since beta. On the Who screen, there are several instances noted but no drop down to change instances. I chose to do the tutorial, and was unable to invite or be invited by someone who skipped the tutorial, but was able to group via the LFM screen with the same person. Even after grouping together, we were still unable to be in the same instance until we zoned into a quest. For me, it was snowing in Korthos Village, and it was sunny for him.

It's not clear that you have to complete EVERY quest in Korthos before you can be in the same instance with other characters. This needs to be fixed quickly before it alienates players who are new to the game trying to be helped out by veterans.

Tenkari_Rozahas
10-31-2008, 01:27 AM
yeah, if one person is in the "snow version" of the island, and one in the "no snow version" of the island, they are wo different instances and such, and so if ones flagged snow, the other isnt, its hard to quest together.

which is why whenever i make chars, i dont skip the tutorial.

Talish
10-31-2008, 01:29 AM
I've posted this in another thread but it should really be here:::

This is a problem for my newbie helper. I completed the series so I could gain access to the harbor mail. When I go back to help out newcomers I am not even in the same instances (tavern/village) as they are. I'm hoping if I abandon the series that that will change things. If it does fix things will I still have to complete Misery's peak everytime I need to travel to the harbor to empty my mail?

I'll try abandoning tomorrow and see if I can still travel to the harbor. *crosses fingers*

Note: my mail needs to be emptied regularily as min lvl 1 equipment etc is constantly being donated.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-31-2008, 06:10 AM
I rolled up a character yesterday and ran a couple of the quests. My guildie rolled up a character today and has run a couple of quests but it will not let us group. It keeps telling us "You are currently on a different stage of the Korthos Island experience". What the heck is that supposed to mean? We are both still level one. We are both ready to go into the encounter area. We both even abandoned to quests we were had in our journal but it still will not let us group. Is this a bug? That isn't much of a new player experience. :mad:

About a quarter of the people I tried to group with yesterday generated that same message.

marcosoneghett
10-31-2008, 06:46 AM
(Error): You cannot group with this player at this time. (You are currently on a different stage of the Korthos Island experience.)

Kreaper
10-31-2008, 07:51 AM
Tarrant- One more thought: My L15 mule was in the Marketplace leaving the Rusty Nail on my way to Korthos when my friend invited me.

Seneca- Not in my case. In my case, I was able to group with my friend to hand over the bling twink but then I could not group with him with my new character.

Elements-You might be on to something. I think he did skip the tutorial. I should be playing with him today. I'll ask him and post back.

Westies- We were experiencing the same thing. This is a bug that came over from Risia.

miceelf88
10-31-2008, 08:11 AM
On a possibly related point, I've seen lfm's up for (say) all chars levels 1-3. And my char (2 wiz) is listed as not being eligible for said lfm, although I am. Weird.

Talish
10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
I have a dedicated newcomer helper who has been in existence since a few months after launch.

I tried to abandon Misery's Peak etc today. It cannot be done. I get an error message stating it's a non repeatable quest line.

There is no way for my newbie helper to help those people who are brand new to the game. By the time I get to them they will be done the island and on their way to the Harbor. It's been my experience that most of the help needed is during the first 10 to 20 mins a new player enters the game. This is not good. I needed to be able to get back and forth to the Harbor in order to collect all the donations I receive through mail but gaining that ability I lost the ability to help where it was needed most.

After 2 1/2 years I may end up having to retire Mythe. I cant remake her very easily at all, she has all her pack/bank slots. Heck she's a lvl 1 cleric who is almost dragon ready thanks to the kindness of Khyber server. I've had donations given to me from 100's of players over the years to help new ones out. I've had Qwijymart support my cause without question as well as multiple guilds. Until this moment I had not realized how attached I was to my little newbie helper. This sucks.

I'll wait around a few days to see if Turbine has anything to say about this. Unless there is a change, I will be selling her entire inventory and splitting her plat equally and returning it to my main donators.

It's been a great 2 1/2 year run. First on Riedra then on Khyber. Thanks to all the great players out there that have supported my cuase over the years.

Mythe.

Strakeln
10-31-2008, 02:08 PM
I have a dedicated newcomer helper who has been in existence since a few months after launch.

I tried to abandon Misery's Peak etc today. It cannot be done. I get an error message stating it's a non repeatable quest line.

There is no way for my newbie helper to help those people who are brand new to the game. By the time I get to them they will be done the island and on their way to the Harbor. It's been my experience that most of the help needed is during the first 10 to 20 mins a new player enters the game. This is not good. I needed to be able to get back and forth to the Harbor in order to collect all the donations I receive through mail but gaining that ability I lost the ability to help where it was needed most.

After 2 1/2 years I may end up having to retire Mythe. I cant remake her very easily at all, she has all her pack/bank slots. Heck she's a lvl 1 cleric who is almost dragon ready thanks to the kindness of Khyber server. I've had donations given to me from 100's of players over the years to help new ones out. I've had Qwijymart support my cause without question as well as multiple guilds. Until this moment I had not realized how attached I was to my little newbie helper. This sucks.

I'll wait around a few days to see if Turbine has anything to say about this. Unless there is a change, I will be selling her entire inventory and splitting her plat equally and returning it to my main donators.

It's been a great 2 1/2 year run. First on Riedra then on Khyber. Thanks to all the great players out there that have supported my cuase over the years.

Mythe.NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Help, Turbine!

Not to sound threatening or anything, but help Mythe or Kargon's Biiiig Ruckus for Tasty Ham is going to look like a 1-kobold invasion of the Twelve. :mad:;)

Lorien_the_First_One
10-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Wait...so if this quest chain is unrepeatable...and I ran it on solo because I wanted to do it "unspoiled"...does that mean I can't repeat Misery's later for favor or to help out a guildy who would like others to party with?

Beherit_Baphomar
10-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Someone posted yesterday that there are two versions of the Island. But they do not have instances.

He was running two computers and two accounts and there was no way to get the two characters in the same instance.

Seems one Island is for pre-MOD8 and one post.

Lemme see if I can find the post.

Edit; FOUND! (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1911145&postcount=10)

Kreaper
10-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Nope. The different instances have nothing to do with when your character was rolled. This same problem was on Risia. Also, the friend I was playing with and I both created new characters with our tenth slots but we were in different instances.

Raegoul
10-31-2008, 04:00 PM
I have had the same problem i tried to form a Lowbie Guild party and maxxed out at 3 when i had 7 possible people who could join. We tried everything in and out of tavern in and out of quest, dropping reforming. I was very frustrated and really wanted to help some guildies who, like me earlier in the day, had no idea what was goign on.

Someone pointed out that you cannot switch instances on Korthos and these instances are fixed and randomly assigned.

Osharan_Tregarth
10-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Wait...so if this quest chain is unrepeatable...and I ran it on solo because I wanted to do it "unspoiled"...does that mean I can't repeat Misery's later for favor or to help out a guildy who would like others to party with?

That's what it looks like. I couldn't group with someone's level 2 paladin to show them where misery's peak was after running through everything on my newly rerolled Ranger/Rogue yesterday.

Beherit_Baphomar
10-31-2008, 04:51 PM
So,

If I was to look at the LFM panel and see a group doing such and such they could all be in a different instance than me? Yet I can still see the LFM and still see them as online and there would be no option to switch instances?

Is that right?

Kreaper
10-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Yup. And if you were in group with them and couldn't see them standing beside you, you would still be able to see their flashing dot on the map just as if they were in your standard different instance.

Arianrhod
10-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Someone said that grouping together (via the LFM) and then entering a quest allowed people to be in the same place at the same time. It's awkward, especially if all you want to do is hand stuff over, but it's something. And, really, it's kind of cool having a quest series have such a dramatic visual effect on the world (one small part of it, anyway). It's rather like the intro zones in LOTRO, where the first quest series is completed in a zone that's cut off from the rest of the world, and when the intro series is completed the zone changes to the post-intro version, and access to the rest of the world opens up.

Bebopalula
11-01-2008, 07:09 AM
There are four parts to it.

1) Solo to get to Korthos proper
2) First three quests to open one (group with only people in instance)
3) Another to open four (group with people in instance)
4) the final (group with people in instance)

Final where you are able to play with everyone

I am just glad it is getting harder on the plat farmers and for some changes

Kreaper
11-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Edit: I'm not gonna feed the trolls

Hordo
11-01-2008, 08:16 AM

Mythe.

I must echo Strakeln's primal scream. I was online and in a user channel with Talish while this was being discovered and it was quite disconcerting to say the least. The normal suggestions of quest abandonment or whatnot were for naught, and since there is no mailbox on Korthos, Mythe (who is eternally bound to the Wavecrest) would have to leave to go and get the donations, /death to return and then give them out to...people who have already bungled their way through things and not had any guidance from an experienced TEACHER.

Turbine folks, that is the whole point here. Mythe is NOT a twinker waiting to hand out loads of goodies, but a TEACHER who assists brand new players to this game to learn it and relieve their frustrations where they would otherwise be confused. Face it, every time you tweak the UI the rest of us who have been here for a couple of years need some time to re-adjust to the new settings especially because there is usually very little accompanying written guidance. Mythe spends hours figuring out every nook and cranny of the UI of the lowbie game that a newcomer could get stuck in and takes the time to teach them how properly to operate the system and get them on their merry way. In the meantime, Mythe groups with them shows them how to interact, keeps them from being discouraged by dying (Mythe is a cleric) and occasionally hands out some level 1 goodies for the new player once they have learned the ways of the DDO jedi so that they can go on their way and prosper.

Your new NPE, however visually spectacular, is a bit confusing after you first arrive to the town proper. It is here that a new player most needs the assistance of an experienced teacher, and it is here that you need to fix some of the grouping problems. True, one can tell folks alot of information over general chat about how to use the /tell function or the /r function or how to turn on voice or turn off the hints, or how to /joinchannel Help [shameless plug;)] but many folks, especially new ones, even then have trouble or get annoyed at the general chat stuff. Please, I implore you, to return to the original method of grouping for the newbies and implement it on Korthos Island. Even if one toon cannot enter a quest with the other because it hasn't "flagged" for it yet is fine, but allow them to group and get a common party together to assist each other. Isn't that what an MMORPG is about first and foremost, the ability to play with others? How about D&D in general? Since I first began to play in 1976 when it was called Chainmail the whole point was grouping with others, banding together to find comradeship and face a common enemy, yet in the NPE you have turned your backs to the very core of D&D by not allowing grouping.

Granted, my new lowbie toon (and thank you for the 10th slot!) does not require Mythe's assistance but would be most eager to lend Mythe a hand while he is still on Korthos Island. Please, I ask you as a player since March of 2006, as a Guild Leader on Khyber and as a loyal customer (no, I'm not going anywhere) to reconsider your grouping method on Korthos Island to allow this Teacher to practice the art that is so needed for so many of the very people you wish to have coming through this island: the new player.

Sincerely,

Hordo

Hordo
11-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Heh, some of y'all are REAL slow.

There are four parts to it.

1) Solo to get to Korthos proper
2) First three quests to open one (group with only people in instance)
3) Another to open four (group with people in instance)
4) the final (group with people in instance)

Final where you are able to play with everyone

WAAAAAH I cannot twink my toon as fast as I want to. Lets have some fun and NOT twink, make things a challenge again

All these damn babies. I am just glad it is getting harder on the plat farmers and for some changes

Please, before you rush to judge some people, take the time to find out what it is they do. Twinking is not the issue I, and many others on this thread have, with the grouping problem. Whereas, I do agree with you in regards to twinking, the grouping problem is an impediment to proper pedagogy of novice players.

Bebopalula
11-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Ahhh, I just got used to all these people crying over everything new.

For grouping - go in at the same time and go through it together - only the first part is solo. My buddy called me up and I was on the phone with him until he got out of the grotto then we grouped up. As we got further along I put up an LFM (he had to get over his noob feelings) and had a group of 6 before you knew it, on the island.

Kaldaka
11-01-2008, 01:02 PM

You can repeat the quest ... just go talk to the dwarf and warforged again, then you can open on hard/elite ...

You just don't get another end reward if you talk to the captain again.

Fetchi
11-02-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm surprised a dev hasn't commented on this topic because a lot of people seem to be confused - as I was. I put in a ticket when I was unable to allow people to join my LFM and /invite wasn't working. I kept getting the (Error): You cannot group with this player at this time. (You are currently on a different stage of the Korthos Island experience.) message so I put a ticket in.

The GM replied with:

there are 3 stages to the new area:

If you have not completed the Tutorial - you cannot group with others who have

If you have completed the Tutorial you can group only with players who have completed the Tutorial and who have not completed The Collaborator

If you have completed The Collaborator you can only group with others who completed The Collaborator but not Misery's Peak

If you have completed Misery's Peak you cannot group with others who have not completed Misery's Peak

Hopefully this makes some sense. It's still a pain when trying to form groups for Korthos Island.:confused:

Aerniel
11-02-2008, 10:44 PM
hop off the island, group, and hop back on :D

Kreaper
11-03-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm surprised a dev hasn't commented on this topic because a lot of people seem to be confused - as I was. I put in a ticket when I was unable to allow people to join my LFM and /invite wasn't working. I kept getting the (Error): You cannot group with this player at this time. (You are currently on a different stage of the Korthos Island experience.) message so I put a ticket in.

The GM replied with:

If you have completed the Tutorial you can group only with players who have completed the Tutorial and who have not completed The Collaborator

If you have completed The Collaborator you can only group with others who completed The Collaborator but not Misery's Peak

If you have completed Misery's Peak you cannot group with others who have not completed Misery's Peak

Hopefully this makes some sense. It's still a pain when trying to form groups for Korthos Island.:confused:

That is pretty much what we figured. It doesn't matter now though. We all soloed our new guys off the island. So much for encouraging grouping and a good first impression for new players. That has to be one of...no, it is THE dumbest thing I have seen implemented in this game thus far. Think about it. This game is designed for group play. This mod was designed to give new players an experience that would make them WANT to play. Then they fix it so that ANY ONE of those THREE things, that would happen at LEVEL 1, will destroy what Turbine's intentions were to start with? That's pathetic.

Kreaper
11-03-2008, 08:19 AM
hop off the island, group, and hop back on :D

So two people that had only been as far as the tutorial are supposed to hop off the island, group up and then hop back on.... Gotcha...

My concern isn't so much for me. I have soloed the new stuff six times with four different classes now. (Counting Risia.) My whole purpose for starting this thread is that this is SUPPOSED to be a great first impression for NEW players. If the potential customers get on and then can't even get in a group, what kind of experience is that? ESPECIALLY if they had a current player/friend talk them into trying the game. It kinda defeats the entire purpose of spending all that dev time on this mod. That purpose was to get new players to join after all.

edit to add: Hopefully this will be changed today.

Lorien_the_First_One
11-03-2008, 08:55 AM

The GM replied with:

Ya....that's clear and friendly to new players :mad:

Kreaper
11-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Ya....that's clear and friendly to new players :mad:

Exactly. When I put in a ticket for the same issue, the GM simply said it was working as intended and closed the ticket. Again, some NEW player experience.

GlassCannon
11-03-2008, 11:36 AM

The GM replied with:

It prevents people from skipping portions of the tutorial, due to the grouping system allowing people in quest instances opened by someone on said adventure, without the entire group having said adventure available.

I disagree with the methods to some extent, but see the reasoning behind them. Try using your General chat(since everyone is on General on Korthos) to organize a party. Either this, or simply go to Stormreach via the Sojourn people.

Rog
11-09-2008, 02:57 AM

Mythe.

this is messing with the kyber inferstructer i am not saying other server dont matter for kyber mythe fullfills a conerstone of what it means to be kyber and kyber will do not like new mods comming in and taking aways the key players that keep are server happy and heathly you must do somthing about this we can not allow are newbs to be deied this great sourse of help and the knowledge that they are kyber and kyber takes care of her own.
this is bad juju and we must fix this problem now!
lunarsong