PDA

View Full Version : Risia Hireling Trivia Contest!

Tolero
10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Want a chance to win game time just for playing with Hirelings? Well now you can, when you take part in our Risia Hireling Trivia Event!

This week (Wednesday) we will be introducing the new Hirelings and asking trivia questions about them! Log in and play DDO on Risia (http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/ddo.support/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=4171) between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on Wednesday, October 22 to participate in our Hireling Trivia Event and for your chance to win a 30 day game card! You will also have the opportunity to provide feedback, on a voluntary basis and only if you so choose, regarding your experience with the Hirelings!

Event schedule:

Wednesday, October 22, from 7:00 PM until 10:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. Turbine hosts will be in game on Risia (http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/ddo.support/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=4171) asking Hireling trivia questions through the in-game world broadcast. When you see a trivia question, grab your Hireling, get in the nearest dungeon, and send your answer by /tell to your Turbine host. The first eligible player to provide the correct answer to the trivia question while partying with a Hireling will win a free 30 day game card.

The Hireling Trivia Event is open to registered players who are legal U.S. residents age 18 or older at the time of the event with an active account. Limit 1 prize per eligible player.
Turbine, Inc. expects to ask approximately 10 trivia questions during the Hireling Trivia Event. Provided that Turbine receives 10 correct answers from 10 eligible players, it will select up to 10 winners. Winners will be contacted in-game during the event and via e-mail by October 23, 2008. Turbine will determine which eligible player submitted a correct answer first. In the event that an ineligible player submits the first correct answer, Turbine may select the next/another eligible player who submitted a correct answer as a winner. All decisions will be made by Turbine in its sole discretion and are final.

Up to 10 prizes will be awarded. Prizes are 30 days of game time for Dungeons and Dragons Online™ (approximate retail value: $150; each prize approximate retail value $14.99).

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Participation in the Hireling Trivia Event (the “Preview Event”) in a pre-release version of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE: STORMREACH™ (the “Game”) is voluntary and requires that you have an active game account, a personal computer with certain minimum specifications and Internet access (at your cost). Access to the Game may be restricted from time to time due to technical requirements, network conditions, testing needs, development specifications, server capacity, or any other reason at Turbine's sole discretion.

Participation in the Preview Event constitutes players’ full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these rules and terms and conditions. By submitting an entry (including, but not limited to, a trivia question response or any other feedback), each player grants Turbine, Inc. a royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to reproduce, modify, prepare derivative works of, publicly display and otherwise use, in its sole discretion, any entry in any and all media for any and all purposes, including, but not limited to, incorporation into future Turbine, Inc. products or services and the advertisement and/or promotion of Turbine, Inc. products or services. Turbine, Inc. shall have no liability for any alleged or actual infringement of a third party’s rights in connection with any entry. Turbine, Inc. may assign, transfer or sublicense this license without notice. Turbine, Inc. reserves the right to edit entries as necessary in its sole discretion.

Turbine, Inc. is not responsible for lost, late, undeliverable, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected entries, or for any computer, online or technical malfunctions that may occur. Entries that are not in full compliance with the terms and conditions are void. Turbine, Inc. reserves the right to disqualify any player who, in Turbine, Inc.’s sole discretion, has circumvented or attempted to circumvent these terms and conditions and to render void any subsequent entry by such player. Turbine, Inc. further reserves the right to cancel the contest at any time without notice. Turbine, Inc. is not required in any way to use any entries in The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™ or Asheron’s CallĀ® or any other products or services. Employees of Turbine, Inc., its licensors, distributors and agencies are excluded from participation. Prizes, if any, are not redeemable for cash. In the event that prizes are unavailable at the time they are awarded, Turbine, Inc. may substitute prize(s) of equal or greater value. Lost or stolen prizes cannot be replaced. Any and all federal, state, and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winning players.

By submitting an entry, each player agrees that they have not or will not receive any compensation or other consideration for their entry. Each player further agrees to release and hold harmless Turbine, Inc. and its licensors, distributors, agents, shareholders, directors, officers, employees and representatives from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind arising in connection with their participation in the contest, including, not limited to, claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. All federal, state, local, provincial and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.

Aerendil
10-21-2008, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=Tolero;1894680]Let me summarize my reactions to this as I read it:

Want a chance to win game time just for playing with Hirelings? Well now you can, when you take part in our Risia Hireling Trivia Event!
*oooooh*

This week (Wednesday) we will be introducing the new Hirelings and asking trivia questions about them! Log in and play DDO on Risia between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on Wednesday, October 22 to participate in our Hireling Trivia Event and for your chance to win a 30 day game card! You will also have the opportunity to provide feedback, on a voluntary basis and only if you so choose, regarding your experience with the Hirelings!
*hey, that's cool. As I've been testing on Risia for the past few days, this will be perfect as I just reached Stormreach Harbour last night!*

Event schedule:

Wednesday, October 22, from 7:00 PM until 10:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. Turbine hosts will be in game asking Hireling trivia questions through the in-game world broadcast. When you see a trivia question, grab your Hireling, get in the nearest dungeon, and send your answer by /tell to your Turbine host. The first eligible player to provide the correct answer to the trivia question while partying with a Hireling will win a free 30 day game card.
*oh perfect, I generally work until 5pm EST. Good stuff!*

The Hireling Trivia Event is open to registered players who are legal U.S. residents age 18 or older at the time of the event with an active account. Limit 1 prize per eligible player.

/stops reading, as he's a Canadian citizen.

Great idea for it all, Tolero. But a shame that only Americans are rewarded for this, especially as it should be a simple matter to adjust account information, irregardless of country of residency/citizenship.
And even worse, not even all Americans will have a chance at this as it's a 3 hour window and the PST folk may not be logging on until well after 8pm EST if they have typical 9-5 hours.

*sigh*

Tolero
10-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah I wish we were able to extend it out, but certain legalities prevent that :( which makes me sad. Time wise it's always hard because no matter what time slot you fit it into it's always going to be a bad time for someone. Either players or devs either one.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah I wish we were able to extend it out, but certain legalities prevent that :( which makes me sad.

Garbage. This is a contest that takes place on a US server, giving out time on a US game, in a company run by a US business, and gives a credit of time on a US account for an account that is bound by contract to US law, and thus the entire countest is bound by US law. What US or Canadian law would you be violating by extending this to Canadians?

SteeleTrueheart
10-21-2008, 05:07 PM
So does that mean as an Australian, I am not actually bound by the EULA? Sweet!

Jendrak
10-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Garbage. This is a contest that takes place on a US server, giving out time on a US game, in a company run by a US business, and gives a credit of time on a US account for an account that is bound by contract to US law, and thus the entire countest is bound by US law. What US or Canadian law would you be violating by extending this to Canadians?

Its not that there are laws prohibiting a us company from haveing a contest in canada but the fact that it would have to comply with canadian law as well as u.s. laws. So in order to simplify the contest requirements they just omit all the legal stuff by not holding it for other countries: Canada, korea, etc... Can you make a contest that is legal in several countries that wont give the average joe a migran trying to understand it? :confused: i sure as hell cant :p

Hakushi
10-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I live in Canada, and when I read these contests, I prefer not to type what my feelings and opinion is, the Cube would hate me...

query
10-21-2008, 11:27 PM
people on the PT zone are calling in "sick" that day? ;)

windigo33
10-22-2008, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=Tolero;1894680]Let me summarize my reactions to this as I read it:

*oooooh*

This week (Wednesday) we will be introducing the new Hirelings and asking trivia questions about them! Log in and play DDO on Risia between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on Wednesday, October 22 to participate in our Hireling Trivia Event and for your chance to win a 30 day game card! You will also have the opportunity to provide feedback, on a voluntary basis and only if you so choose, regarding your experience with the Hirelings!
*hey, that's cool. As I've been testing on Risia for the past few days, this will be perfect as I just reached Stormreach Harbour last night!*

Event schedule:

Wednesday, October 22, from 7:00 PM until 10:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. Turbine hosts will be in game asking Hireling trivia questions through the in-game world broadcast. When you see a trivia question, grab your Hireling, get in the nearest dungeon, and send your answer by /tell to your Turbine host. The first eligible player to provide the correct answer to the trivia question while partying with a Hireling will win a free 30 day game card.
*oh perfect, I generally work until 5pm EST. Good stuff!*

/stops reading, as he's a Canadian citizen.

Great idea for it all, Tolero. But a shame that only Americans are rewarded for this, especially as it should be a simple matter to adjust account information, irregardless of country of residency/citizenship.
And even worse, not even all Americans will have a chance at this as it's a 3 hour window and the PST folk may not be logging on until well after 8pm EST if they have typical 9-5 hours.

*sigh*

I wonder if it's going to be and actually game card or if they are just going to update the usere account? If it's a card one could always just mail it to a unfortunate canadian or austrailian,,,especially since i just renewed and don't really need it asap. :)

Lorien_the_First_One
10-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Its not that there are laws prohibiting a us company from haveing a contest in canada but the fact that it would have to comply with canadian law as well as u.s. laws. So in order to simplify the contest requirements they just omit all the legal stuff by not holding it for other countries: Canada, korea, etc... Can you make a contest that is legal in several countries that wont give the average joe a migran trying to understand it? :confused: i sure as hell cant :p

Actually that's not true. The contest is held in the US in its entirety. It gets complicated if they need to mail you out a prize, but that isn't the case here. Star Trek Online for example recently extended a contest for a free year's subscription to Canadians as well.

The EULA for example is executed as a US contract - and they expect us to be bound by it. The EULA as implimenteed is a violation of Canadian law and under Canadian law we are not bound by it at all. However, if we were to suggest that we are not bound by it they would simply say "but this is a US company bound by US law and you bought into that when you signed".

Mockduck
10-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I think we all know the truth - Turbine HATES CANADA! Yes, once again, Canadio-racism rears its ugly head. You'd think we in the U.S. would get over the whole "Celine Dion" thing, but let me tell you, that voice stays with us....forever.

Incidentally, my DDOcast sticker trivia thing is open to everyone! U.S., Canada, England - it's all good. If I violate a law, then the foreign police can track me down and put me in handcuffs. I'll be waving stickers as they drag me out the door!

Sequell
10-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Canada has also repeatedly cursed America with the sounds of artists like Bryan Adams (sappy ****) Shania Twain (Country need I say more) Avril Lavigne (Angsty pop girl)...So IMHO it serves the Canadians right to not be included after all the bad things they did to us! LMAO!:D

P.S. Just kidding I love all you Canadians, aye! :)

faldordadink
10-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Canada has also repeatedly cursed America with the sounds of artists like Bryan Adams (sappy ****) Shania Twain (Country need I say more) Avril Lavigne (Angsty pop girl)...So IMHO it serves the Canadians right to not be included after all the bad things they did to us! LMAO!:D

P.S. Just kidding I love all you Canadians, eh!! :)

fixed that for ya :)

and if you think the canadian contest rules are ****** you should try to run a contest in Quebec, many Canadian companies exclude Quebec from contests because of stupid rules and fees

Garth_of_Sarlona
10-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Incidentally, my DDOcast sticker trivia thing is open to everyone! U.S., Canada, England - it's all good. If I violate a law, then the foreign police can track me down and put me in handcuffs. I'll be waving stickers as they drag me out the door!

I can confirm that Jerry mailed me a sticker even though I live in Canada.

I am currently consulting with my tax lawyer(s) as to whether I have to declare this sticker as income for the tax year (which tax year? US or Canada?) and whether it was sourced from the US or Canada and whether I have to declare it when I go to visit the US, and whether I had/should have paid import tax/duty and whether Jerry was actually GST registered or not, given he doesn't live in Canada... arghHHHH

Garth

smatt
10-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Personally I'd love to be doing the Risia thing right now..... But alas the lag is so bad there right now... It's kind of like the worst of tiems on the live servers :(

VonBek
10-22-2008, 05:42 PM
alas the lag is so bad there right now... I

Maybe Risia's not used to crowds?

Wertik
10-22-2008, 06:22 PM
It's they're house guys. Just be cool and enjoy the game. Remeber it is just a game.

Spell
10-22-2008, 07:30 PM
If the prize for the Hireling Trivia Contest was Lag.... I won, I won!
If not... I give up. Died twice thru lag. Watched as trivia question was asked AND couldn't even answer thru the lag.

Duerty
10-22-2008, 07:48 PM
I will not be fooled by your feeble attempts to distract me from the issues here....

ETA??

Tolero
10-22-2008, 07:49 PM
We've had a HUGE turn out for the Hireling event tonight! This has resulted in Risia teeming to the brim with players, and may mean that you experience a delay in logging in. We apologize for the inconvenience, but thank players very much for their enthusiasm to come and try the Hirelings!

We're working as quickly as possible to get the Live servers back online for you, stay tuned for more updates on the hardware upgrade as well in the Service News forum

swooshrp
10-22-2008, 08:04 PM
We've had a HUGE turn out for the Hireling event tonight! This has resulted in Risia teeming to the brim with players, and may mean that you experience a delay in logging in. We apologize for the inconvenience, but thank players very much for their enthusiasm to come and try the Hirelings!

We're working as quickly as possible to get the Live servers back online for you, stay tuned for more updates on the hardware upgrade as well in the Service News forum

No its not enthusiam, it's the inability to play the real game...but now Risia is so bogged down, that the Hireling event will be a disaster as anything Turbine tries to implement in an event fashion...

recall the marketplace???

Patris
10-22-2008, 08:29 PM
This sounds so FUN!!!!!

To bad all i get is Game Error The logon Server is full. try again later :mad:

Duerty
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM

DUH...Those who can't play, play on Risia

stuby
10-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Cant even log on to risa, so even if i want to play the trivia game i can't. i have been tiring to log on to risa since 700 est. and when is the other severs going to open its past 700 and still not open.

Korvek
10-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the cake :D

Kraldor
10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
woot - 30 days of free game time for me!

Aerendil
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
^^ Congrats!

On the flip side of things, while all of you were running around with your hirelings trying to get a free 30 days, I was happily farming the mega-xp currently on Risia ;)

Props to Tolero and Turbine on the contest. It seemed well executed, despite the lag, and I didn't mean to turn this thread into a crapfest with that first post of mine - I was just expressing disappointment at not being eligible.

Perfectly understandable due to legality issues, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing ;)

And for all those who complained about lag and/or being unable to log on lastnight to the main servers - I can't imagine it was any more fun on Turbine's end last night.