PDA

View Full Version : Get Your DirectX 10 Screenshot Featured on ddo.com!

Tolero
10-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Stormreach™ is pleased to announce the introduction of DirectX 10 technology to the game and to celebrate, we're inviting players to participate in the DDO DirectX 10 Screenshot Contest! Send in your favorite pictures from DDO using DirectX 10 and it may be featured on ddo.com! We’re looking for screenshots that really show off the dynamic lighting, beautiful water effects, and incredible shadowing that can now be found in DDO on machines running DirectX 10.

For more information, see the rules below. Good luck! We look forward to seeing your screenshots!

RULES:

To enter the DDO DirectX 10 Contest send your entry to ddo@turbine.com with the subject line DDO DirectX 10 Contest.
Three (3) entries per player per week.
All screenshots should be unedited, although cropping is allowed. Screenshots MUST be taken with DirectX 10 graphics enabled.
All entries must be original and created and/or owned exclusively by the player submitting the screenshot.

All entries must include the player's name, e-mail address, primary player and/or forum name (if any), and desired name to credit (i.e., real name, player name or forum name).
The contest is open to registered players who are legal U.S. residents age 18 or older at the time entry is submitted with an active account and current subscription. The contest begins on October 20th, 2008. Entries may be submitted until midnight Eastern Standard Time on November 17th, 2008.
Turbine will select up to three winning entries each Monday until November 17th, 2008. Each week’s winning entries will be announced in the forums on Wednesdays, with the final week’s winners announced on Wednesday, November 19th, 2008. Turbine, Inc. will select the winning entries based on composition, subject matter, and best representation of DirectX 10 technology (shadows, lighting and water effects). The winning screenshot may be featured on ddo.com.
All decisions will be made by Turbine, Inc. in its sole discretion and are final. Players who submit a winning entry will be required to execute an Assignment and Release. Failure to execute and return the Assignment and Release within the time frame specified may result in another entry being selected as winner.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Participation in the contest constitutes players’ full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these rules and terms and conditions. By submitting an entry, each player grants Turbine, Inc. a royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to reproduce, modify, prepare derivative works of, publicly display and otherwise use, in its sole discretion, any entry in any and all media for any and all purposes, including, but not limited to, incorporation into future Turbine, Inc. products or services and the advertisement and/or promotion of Turbine, Inc. products or services. Turbine, Inc. shall have no liability for any alleged or actual infringement of a third party’s rights in connection with any entry. Turbine, Inc. may assign, transfer or sublicense this license without notice to a player. Turbine, Inc. reserves the right to edit entries as necessary in its sole discretion.
Turbine, Inc. is not responsible for lost, late, undeliverable, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected entries, or for any computer, online or technical malfunctions that may occur. Entries that are not in full compliance with the terms and conditions are void. Turbine, Inc. reserves the right to disqualify any player who, in Turbine, Inc.’s sole discretion, has circumvented or attempted to circumvent these terms and conditions and to render void any subsequent entry by such player. Turbine, Inc. further reserves the right to cancel the contest at any time without notice. Turbine, Inc. is not required in any way to use any entries in Dungeons & Dragons Online™, The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™ or Asheron’s Call® or any other products or services. Employees of Turbine, Inc., its licensors, distributors and agencies are excluded from participation. Prizes, if any, are not redeemable for cash. In the event that prizes are unavailable at the time they are awarded, Turbine, Inc. may substitute prize(s) of equal or greater value. Lost or stolen prizes cannot be replaced.
By submitting an entry, each player agrees that they have not or will not receive any compensation or other consideration for their entry. Each player further agrees to release and hold harmless Turbine, Inc. and its licensors, distributors, agents, shareholders, directors, officers, employees and representatives from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind arising in connection with their participation in the contest, including, not limited to, claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. All federal, state, local, provincial and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law. No purchase necessary to enter or win.

Garth_of_Sarlona
10-13-2008, 05:01 PM
:( ...once again, Turbine competitions are only open to U.S. residents :(

Garth

deathtouch
10-13-2008, 05:29 PM
I might be missing something here, but would i be correct in thinking that we are to download a dx10 graphic pack?

If so please show me the link, Judge Judy's about to start and I needs to watch her.

Turial
10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Stormreach™ is pleased to announce the introduction of DirectX 10 technology to the game and to celebrate, we're inviting players to participate in the DDO DirectX 10 Screenshot Contest! ...... The contest begins on October 20th, 2008. Entries may be submitted until midnight Eastern Standard Time on November 17th, 2008. ......

So is the X10 support coming out prior to mod 8 or is this a hint as to when it may be live?

Missing_Minds
10-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I might be missing something here, but would i be correct in thinking that we are to download a dx10 graphic pack?

If so please show me the link, Judge Judy's about to start and I needs to watch her.

If by download you mean "buy Windows Vista" sure. Dx10 does not exist for XP at current time.

Vizzini
10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Nor will it ever with the development of Windows 7 to cover for Vista's mistakes..

Face it, XP is a thing of the past (it was their best and you can't make money on a product that has reached it's pinnacle) That's where windows Vista and it's successor comes into play.

If by download you mean "buy Windows Vista" sure. Dx10 does not exist for XP at current time.

Tolero
10-13-2008, 07:12 PM
So is the X10 support coming out prior to mod 8 or is this a hint as to when it may be live?

Well it'll be available on Risia at first. When Mod 8 comes up, the contest will still be going on , so whether your screenies come from Risia or Live, either way is fine.

deathtouch
10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Nor will it ever with the development of Windows 7 to cover for Vista's mistakes..

Face it, XP is a thing of the past (it was their best and you can't make money on a product that has reached it's pinnacle) That's where windows Vista and it's successor comes into play.

Vista is awesome if you have the hardware to run it, people who complain are people like my family who try and run vista on a laptop with 512meg of ram and integrated video card!

Baron
10-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Direct X 10 is nice but not sure its there yet, no toggle in graphics options.... Guess they brought it up for the upgrade tomorrow. Graphics I am am seeing ARE better than on normal servers but not sure Directx 10 in effect. Rest of Server looks like it did last time it was up, not Updated. Still has Arrowhawk errors on items so no update yet.

Garth_of_Sarlona
10-13-2008, 07:41 PM
DX10 is significantly better if the software is written to use all the new DX10 pipelines. Turbine will be hamstrung by the fact that they can't drop DX9 support or all the XP users will not be able to play - check out the microsoft docs on DX10 if you don't believe me.

Re: vista - my Dell came with vista preinstalled and the first thing I did was to swap the HD and install XP. I got all the latest drivers and all the latest hotfixes installed, and fired up DDO, and it ran slower than Vista. I can't explain it... anyway - I'm still under Vista, but people are right that it does need a lot of power (especially Memory) to get the most advantage.

Good luck on the screenshot contest! Since I can't enter I'll be posting them on the forums :)

Garth

Gratch
10-13-2008, 07:55 PM
DX10 is significantly better if the software is written to use all the new DX10 pipelines. Turbine will be hamstrung by the fact that they can't drop DX9 support or all the XP users will not be able to play - check out the microsoft docs on DX10 if you don't believe me.

I don't believe any new game will launch without DX9 support for at least another year. Vista and upgraded video card requirements would alienate too much of the gamer marketplace. I'd guess probably M$ games would be the first... but that's killing a lot of sales... with their raw drivers/OS launch of Vista, many people had bad experiences with Vista and won't try it again.

I personally went with Vista 64 because 8 Gigs of RAM is now ~$150 after rebates. Multilayered photoshop on 10 megapixel cameras outstrips the 2Gig limit pretty quickly.

Theboz
10-13-2008, 08:32 PM
DirectX 10

Only available on Vista, no Windows XP

Videocards

All add-on videocards above the 100 price range, in the last year, has DirectX 10 support.

I believe some onboard graphics have dX10 support, built within the last year, but non in the lower price range.

A list of DirectX 10 videocards, note this may not be a full list.

GeForce 8400 GS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8300 GS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8400M G - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8400M GS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8400M GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
Geforce 8500 GT- DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 9500 GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
Geforce 8600 GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
Geforce 8600 GTS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8600M GS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8600M GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8700M GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 9600 GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce GTX 280 - - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce GTX 260 - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 9800 GX2 - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8800 GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8800 GS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8800 GTS - DirectX 10
GeForce 8800 GTX - DirectX 10
GeForce 8800 Ultra - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8800M GTX - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 8800M GTS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
GeForce 9600 GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
Radeon HD 2000 Series
Mobility Radeon HD 3400 - DirectX 10.1
Radeon™ HD 3000 Series - DirectX 10.1
Radeon™ HD 4600 Series
Radeon™ HD 4800 Series

if anybody has more up todate list ill add more to this list

Targonis
10-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Radeon HD 2400 and 2900 cards are also DirectX 10.0 capable. The Radeon HD 4000 series are DX 10.1.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
10-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Since there is no actual prize being given out, why are you restricting it to US residents only?

What's the point, beyond insulting the rest of your player base?

I come back to the game and get greeted by unplayable lag day after day... and now that's followed up with a big FU from Turbine.

Theboz
10-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Since there is no actual prize being given out, why are you restricting it to US residents only?

What's the point, beyond insulting the rest of your player base?

I come back to the game and get greeted by unplayable lag day after day... and now that's followed up with a big FU from Turbine.

They can't, they dont have any rights to do so in other countries, Since turbines place of business in here in the states they can only offer contest for people who live here in the state.

if you want to win a prize if youlive in Europe, then you need to go to http://www.ddo-europe.com/?territory=EnglishUK and play on there servers.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
10-14-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't live in Europe.

They don't seem to be giving away any prizes, at least nothing is mentioned in the OP.

So again I ask, why not?

szalkerous
10-14-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't live in Europe.

They don't seem to be giving away any prizes, at least nothing is mentioned in the OP.

So again I ask, why not?

Well, let's make this clear:

A business operating in the USA cannot, LEGALLY, offer a contest of any sort, prize being physical or simply a notoriety on a website, to anyone not residing within the USA and respective territories thereof. It's not Turbine, this is the US Government. Go complain to them.

Pwesiela
10-14-2008, 03:23 PM

A business operating in the USA cannot, LEGALLY, offer a contest of any sort, prize being physical or simply a notoriety on a website, to anyone not residing within the USA and respective territories thereof. It's not Turbine, this is the US Government. Go complain to them.

See? There's another legal guy out there!

I was going to say this, but instead I'll just say /QFT.

That having been said, be glad it's not further limited by state laws which prohibit some contests (NY for example precludes a lot of offers for some reason...).

Arkat
10-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Oh really? Got a U.S.C. cite for that?

Garth_of_Sarlona
10-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Typically the reasons for restricting competitions such as this are related to tax, as any competition winnings that are monetary in value have to be taxed.

I'm surprised Turbine can't come up with something sensible to compensate those players outside the US that isn't taxable - perhaps a unique in-game item, or a forum title?

Garth

Arkat
10-14-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm surprised Turbine can't come up with something sensible to compensate those players outside the US that isn't taxable - perhaps a unique in-game item, or a forum title?

It doesn't even appear Turbine's going to award anything that's taxable to any players IN the US.

Garth_of_Sarlona
10-14-2008, 09:14 PM
It doesn't even appear Turbine's going to award anything that's taxable to any players IN the US.

LOL - good point :)

Garth

Kraldor
10-17-2008, 01:42 AM
So, are we allowed to send entries before October 20th? Seems kinda weird if not, since you guys will be judging a very limited timeframe of screenshots for the first monday.

Tolero
10-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Get cracking, contest starts today everybody!

Gol
10-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Get cracking, contest starts today everybody!We'd take more screenshots if you fixed the lag problems for which you're not communicating any attempts to resolve.

Tolero
10-20-2008, 09:22 AM
We'd take more screenshots if you fixed the lag problems for which you're not communicating any attempts to resolve.

The past week has been DDO morning noon and night for me. :) we've made a lot of headway in narrowing down culprits, but it's nothing we can make any attempts on prior to the hardware upgrade.

Gol
10-20-2008, 09:35 AM
The past week has been DDO morning noon and night for me. :) we've made a lot of headway in narrowing down culprits, but it's nothing we can make any attempts on prior to the hardware upgrade.
Well some information is better than nothing. Thanks Tolero.

Tolero
10-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Well some information is better than nothing. Thanks Tolero.

I don't mind bringing you guys updates, but when the update is "still no news" I'm not sure that that is any more comforting. But I can understand that you want to make sure that we haven't forgotten about you or important issues.

You guys are never out of mind. When I'm in the office, there you are. When I'm at home, you're still with me. When I'm asleep, periodically you wake me up. When I'm out on the town, you're along for the field trip. And when times are rough... I'm in your group making observations (though you might not realize it... And here you thought that embarrassing moment in Hound would go unnoticed mwuhahahah!). And I'm not the only one around the office for which life with DDO is a persistent presence in this way. We're working hard to get things fixed for you, hang in there!

Garth_of_Sarlona
10-20-2008, 10:52 AM
You guys are never out of mind. When I'm in the office, there you are. When I'm at home, you're still with me. When I'm asleep, periodically you wake me up. When I'm out on the town, you're along for the field trip.

...confirmation of a DDO port to Blackberry!! :p

Garth

Bubbahotepp
10-20-2008, 11:00 AM

...wish this showed up in dev tracker....

Capstern
10-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Tolero

If it helps some friends of mine and I did some ingame troubleshooting from INSIDE the game this weekend and well here is what we found.

Lag inside an instance seemed to be pretty rare UNTIL buffing.

It seems that wheny ou take 12 people - pile on over 20 buffs (timers running) the lag would start.

We found that when aretrekos (I know I cant spell it) dispelled a bunch of buffs the lag would drop off a lot and smooth out (phase 4)

We found no lag in small 6 man instances we would zerg with no real buffing.

I am wondering if part of it is true CPU/Memory horsepower - with say 30 buffs by 12 people - thats 360 timers running in just one instance and those all take processing plus all the mobs and the 12 players themselves

I know its not much but it was pretty evident

Doubt it helps BUT hey at least its data

Ganak
10-20-2008, 12:18 PM
You guys are never out of mind. When I'm in the office, there you are. When I'm at home, you're still with me. When I'm asleep, periodically you wake me up. When I'm out on the town, you're along for the field trip.

Ok, just don't take me into the bathroom with you...

Ashmer
10-20-2008, 12:29 PM
In the rules, it states that no editing is allowed. When I take a screen shot, it always appears dark. Way too dark. Darker than what is being displayed at the time the shot was taken. I can use Photoshop to "fix" the lighting and what not but would that be against the rules?
What is necessary to take a screen shot where the output lightning is the same as the shot taken?

smatt
10-20-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't mind bringing you guys updates, but when the update is "still no news" I'm not sure that that is any more comforting. But I can understand that you want to make sure that we haven't forgotten about you or important issues.

You guys are never out of mind. When I'm in the office, there you are. When I'm at home, you're still with me. When I'm asleep, periodically you wake me up. When I'm out on the town, you're along for the field trip. And when times are rough... I'm in your group making observations (though you might not realize it... And here you thought that embarrassing moment in Hound would go unnoticed mwuhahahah!). And I'm not the only one around the office for which life with DDO is a persistent presence in this way. We're working hard to get things fixed for you, hang in there!

:eek:

You just made me want to open a ncie bottle of booze and down the whole thing..... Tolero you need to forget DDO for at least 1 hour a day :D

Thanks for the update though! And I agree... You told us what was up and if anything changes you'd say "HEY".

Fingers are crossed for a good Wednesday, and next Monday :D

Tolero
10-20-2008, 01:19 PM
In the rules, it states that no editing is allowed. When I take a screen shot, it always appears dark. Way too dark. Darker than what is being displayed at the time the shot was taken. I can use Photoshop to "fix" the lighting and what not but would that be against the rules?
What is necessary to take a screen shot where the output lightning is the same as the shot taken?

How dark is it? And have you tried adjusting your in-game settings... increase gamma slightly, things like that?

Rog
10-20-2008, 01:41 PM

thnx tolero,
I understand that type of job so from me to you i say thnx and have a great day!

Tolero
10-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Reminder on the contest, be sure to get the UI and other unwanted visuals out of your shots when you submit! I've seen a few come through where the little fraps frame rate is showing in the corner ;)

Remember that you can take screenshots within the game - the typical default is Ctrl-P, but you can also remap this key to any key you want by going to the options panel. Under Keymapping, scroll down the list until you see the button that says "take screenshot". Click on it, and you'll be asked to select a key to be the new key to take screenshots with. Pick any key you like so long as it's not already in use. You can also remap the keys used to remove the UI. Good luck everyone!

ArkoHighStar
10-20-2008, 02:12 PM

I do IT support for a living and the one thing I have learned is that issues happen and they do not always get resolved right away. But when the issue is widespread and is affecting multiple people, the best thing you can do is keep open communication, it tends to blunt criticism and keeps your users at bay while you work on the issue, even if the latest update is not good news, because is in this case no news is not good news it is no news, meaning we don't know what is going on. what I would reccommend for the balance of the issue is to put a stickie in the service update thread, and every day just add a note as to whether any progress is being made etc, we don't need details except if there is an action being taken that affects the users like a reboot etc.

Missing_Minds
10-20-2008, 02:19 PM
I do IT support for a living and the one thing I have learned is that issues happen and they do not always get resolved right away. But when the issue is widespread and is affecting multiple people, the best thing you can do is keep open communication, it tends to blunt criticism and keeps your users at bay while you work on the issue, even if the latest update is not good news, because is in this case no news is not good news it is no news, meaning we don't know what is going on. what I would reccommend for the balance of the issue is to put a stickie in the service update thread, and every day just add a note as to whether any progress is being made etc, we don't need details except if there is an action being taken that affects the users like a reboot etc.

Problem, when the issue is being examined and there is nothing new to report, what you are asking for is the equivalent of "BUMP" which is against the forum rules. We can't have that now can we? :)

EazyWeazy
10-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Reminder on the contest, be sure to get the UI and other unwanted visuals out of your shots when you submit! I've seen a few come through where the little fraps frame rate is showing in the corner ;)

I guess this means that if the FPS is in the corner the SS gets disqualified?

Tolero
10-20-2008, 04:20 PM
I guess this means that if the FPS is in the corner the SS gets disqualified?

Well if you had a good shot but that was in there, you could always crop it. Cropping is permitted for something minor like that, especially if it's a circumstance where it's hard to re-create the original.

Kraldor
10-20-2008, 04:34 PM
http://www.ddo-europe.com/contest.php

^

We getting game time as a prize too?-

Ashmer
10-20-2008, 07:30 PM
How dark is it? And have you tried adjusting your in-game settings... increase gamma slightly, things like that?

Yes.

Stormanne
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
The Contest is kinda becoming a moot point if the "Enable DX 10" box is greyed out, even on machines with DX 10 capability...

Tolero
10-29-2008, 04:15 PM
These might not apply to everyone, but just in case I figure it's safe to cover all the bases:

- Make sure that you are on Windows Vista, you will be unable to enable DX10 on Windows XP
- Make sure that DX10 is turned on on Vista. I've heard some users have an issue with this if they hadn't enabled DX10 on windows prior to trying to enable it in the game
- Make sure that your system is capable of supporting DX10

Stormanne
10-29-2008, 05:01 PM
OK, been surfing my PC for the last 35-40 minutes. I've ran my DxDiag to see if DX 10 is running. It says it is. Now, while I'm not exactly a newb with windows comps, I'm failing to see where to "Turn on Direct X 10" on my computer...

deathtouch
10-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I cant get my DX 10 box unshaded either

I have DX 10 compat cards
Im running Vista Ultimate
And DX Diag is saying its running DX 10.

Please assist.