PDA

View Full Version : Live Events: Phiarlan Theater Inaugural Event

Countess_Alinda
09-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Greetings, citizens of Stormreach! I am Countess Alinda d'Phiarlan, and I bring you fair tidings in a time of uncertainty.

The sight of the crater where the beautiful Marketplace tent once stood is an unmistakable reminder of the horrors our city has faced in recent times. It has been a dark time in our fair city, but the Coin Lords have teamed up with the House Phiarlan to uplift the spirits of the people of Stormreach in these times of peril. Therefore, I'm happy to announce that there will be an inaugural event for the brand new Phiarlan Event Theater!

Beginning tonight, and throughout this weekend, the Coin Lords will open the doors for a brief time to allow interested citizens to get their first glimpses of this new arena and participate in an evening of Trivia. Seating is limited, but if you miss your chance to explore the theater at the inaugural event, be on the look out for the next opportunity at the next Live Event!

Amid the chaos of Shavarath's attacks, event host Sir Lawrence d'Deneith went missing. We searched for him in vain, as well as other missing citizens, and all signs seemed to point to an untimely demise at the clawed hands of Shavarath devils. We had given up all hope... until now. Rumors have surfaced that Sir Lawrence has been spotted (though no one has been able to offer concrete evidence of these appearances). Perhaps it is destiny that he will be returned to us just as the Coin Lords and House Phiarlan have completed their work on a new structure for city beautification. With luck and the strength of numbers, we can set things right. Until Sir Lawrence d'Deneith can be accounted for, in the near future, the duty of hosting events will fall upon myself and the other envoys of the Coin Lords: Lord Wilrian d'Kundarak, Baroness Kessete d'Jorasco, and Captain Stephian d'Orien. We will also be heading up the investigation into Sir Lawrence's disappearance. We ask that any citizens who encounter Sir Lawrence in their travels come forward with information.

In the meantime, we hope that you enjoy the new event theater, and look forward to bringing you more events in the theater soon!

For more questions about In-game Events, visit our In-game Events FAQ (http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/ddo.support/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=4986)

Beherit_Baphomar
09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I dont truss none of ya.

Countess_Alinda
09-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I dont truss none of ya.

Why shouldn't you trust us? We work for the Coin Lords. *shifty eyes*

Coldin
09-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Hmm...just where is this new theatre anyway? I don't believe I've come across it on my travels.

Shyver
09-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Hmm...just where is this new theatre anyway? I don't believe I've come across it on my travels.

It's under the Leaky Dingy, but you can only access it with your underwater action item taken off. I swear. :p

Freeman
09-12-2008, 02:42 PM
They've actually already built it, but they are hiding it behind an S.E.P. field.

Coldin
09-12-2008, 02:45 PM
And a follow up question, just how does an interested citizen get to attend this event tonight?

Drider
09-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Will there be punch and pie? I'm not coming unless there is punch and pie.

Beherit_Baphomar
09-12-2008, 02:47 PM

House P theatre has always been there...Gwylans entrance I believe.

I wouldnt go though, cause I dont truss none of um.

Shyver
09-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Hmmm, maybe they will close shop on all the weapon/armor/clothing/jewlery vendors and relocate all of them to the theater, and I mean all of them. Would be nice to actualy have people selling things to the Armor vendors. Those guys in House K might as well hang a "gone fishin" sign on the door for all the business they get. :eek:

akla_thornfist
09-12-2008, 02:55 PM
a weekend of trivia wow that sounds like loads of fun:rolleyes:

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM

you will eat your trivia and you will like it:D

kinar
09-12-2008, 03:00 PM
I've personally seen Sir Lawrence tumbling around naked in the subterrain.

He appeared to be hiding (rather than being held hostage).

Seems to be something "shifty" goin on here...

cappuccino
09-12-2008, 03:16 PM
More important than punch and pie. Will there be butterflies to eat?

Griphon
09-12-2008, 03:27 PM

C'mon man.. If you were a lone humanoid running around the Subt... You'd hide too!

*waves tentacles* Pay no attention to the Icon picture. There are no mindflayers beneath the City. Pay no attention the puppet masters.....

Oooh! Halfling! Snack time! *slurping sounds*

Shagn
09-12-2008, 03:28 PM

I did find a ring down there. There was an echoing voice saying something about his "precious" being gone... must have been Sir Lawrence. I've tried the ring out a few times, but wasn't impressed. All it did was make me go invisible. ;)

p.s.
I'm heading out to the Gianthold to toss the crappy ring into a lava flow for good luck, and need to set up a raid group. I'm looking for 4 halflings, an elf ranger, a dwarf barbarian, a human ranger, a human fighter, and a human wizard. Anybody know where I can find them? :o

EKKM
09-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Maybe there are rewards to be had. Perhaps I should make a halfling wizard named Ken Jennings...

Bradik_Losdar
09-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I have just one question:

Is there a Count d'Phiarlan?

*winks at the uber hot Countess*

VirieSquichie
09-12-2008, 03:31 PM
So, a question... is Sir Lawrence perhaps a Paladin?

You see, I remember years ago reading that paladins have this terrible difficulty deciding where to go on vacation...the Nine Hells or the Abyss. It would seem that the Subterrane is the tiebreaker. And that he's there living it up, taunting the hapless ne'er-do-wells, having too much fun to notice that he's been missed up on the surface.

totmacher
09-12-2008, 03:31 PM
WHERE ARE YOU HIDING NAT GANN, YOU SEA WITCH???

oh yeah i went there

moorewr
09-12-2008, 03:34 PM
They've actually already built it, but they are hiding it behind an S.E.P. field.

oo! Nice Douglas Adams reference!

EKKM
09-12-2008, 03:45 PM
oo! Nice Douglas Adams reference!

Freakin' everything has a wiki reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_Else's_Problem

moorewr
09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Freakin' everything has a wiki reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_Else's_Problem

Yep. Sign here Mr. EKKM.. where do you want me to put this pallet of pink paint?

Dexxaan
09-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I´m pleased to anounce the new Theatre is a Non-Muffin Zone. :eek:

cappuccino
09-12-2008, 03:54 PM
no muffins?
ACk!

whats next no "my little ponies"?

how bout we have cupcakes instead....with a side order of butterflies!

cardmj1
09-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Party, party, party!

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp154/Mystincloud/kittens.gif

Karrai
09-12-2008, 04:19 PM
p.s.
I'm heading out to the Gianthold to toss the crappy ring into a lava flow for good luck, and need to set up a raid group. I'm looking for 4 halflings, an elf ranger, a dwarf barbarian, a human ranger, a human fighter, and a human wizard. Anybody know where I can find them? :o

I last saw them in Moria...I mean Meridia.
Rumor has it they encountered a Balrog....nope thats not right.... uh a Pit Fiend.

Vizzini
09-12-2008, 04:19 PM
/signed!! Screw Sir Lawarnce, we want Nat Gann!

oh yeah i went there

KoboldKiller
09-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Sounds interesting, maybe I will bring some Kobold pie.:D

branmakmuffin
09-12-2008, 04:23 PM
no muffins?
It always comes down to that, eh?

fowltounge
09-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I have seen Sir Lawrence as well, two times now infact. Once in the sub and another in XC. I think he has has some sort of dimesional anchor on him trapping him in Xoriat or Shavrath. He may even had his silver cord turned into a leash, I forget the exact name of the enchantment but I know this is possible.

He is only sited near areas with gates to these planes, and he doesnt get far from them before being snapped back.

I tried to cast on him in XC to no avail. And by that I mean I failed to penetrate some enchantments resistance. If he is enchanted then the enchanment was cast by some one with considerable skill in the arcane.

My peers and I have some ideas to what has happend, but we dont want cuase unwarranted panic.

As far as the coin lords or the twelve go, I dont trust them

Soleal Immolar
Evoker

Vizzini
09-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Hahah - Hell yea it does!

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Sounds interesting, maybe I will bring some Kobold pie.:D

as long as it is made with real kobolds, I hear it tastes just like chicken:D

KoboldKiller
09-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I do hope however that this does not turn into a typical live event where a brawl ensues and then the powergaming casters nuke the whole instance just so they can grab all the swag for themselves, thus the reason I and several people I know avoid the live events. No I am not referring to casters nuking the MoBs I am referring to them waiting till the MoBs have been eliminated and then nuking the PCs that are still there thus eliminating the competition for the loot.

branmakmuffin
09-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Hahah - Hell yea it does!
I'll see you ...

... in Camarillo!

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I do hope however that this does not turn into a typical live event where a brawl ensues and then the powergaming casters nuke the whole instance just so they can grab all the swag for themselves, thus the reason I and several people I know avoid the live events. No I am not referring to casters nuking the MoBs I am referring to them waiting till the MoBs have been eliminated and then nuking the PCs that are still there thus eliminating the competition for the loot.

this looks like it is an instanced affair, ie another zone inside House P. Which means they probably have shutdown all annoying casting. This sounds like a place for holding social live events rather than encounter live events

KoboldKiller
09-12-2008, 04:38 PM
this looks like it is an instanced affair, ie another zone inside House P. Which means they probably have shutdown all annoying casting. This sounds like a place for holding social live events rather than encounter live events

I hope so and please don't take my post as being negative or trying to put a damper on things. I think the live events are cool but my past experiences have been marred by certain types of players. Still I hope to attend, (I'll bring my high reflex save Ranger just in case :D) but still I hope to attend. lol

ShaeNightbird
09-12-2008, 04:40 PM
"She had that Camarillo brillo..."

The10man
09-12-2008, 04:41 PM
The last live event caused so much lag I finally had to give up. Hopefully the lesson was learned and history won't repeat itself. No 40+ instances of the marketplace killing the servers please.

branmakmuffin
09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
"She had that Camarillo brillo..."
His name was Leo
From Camarillo
Yellow feathers in his hair
And his chest hair up to there

Vizzini
09-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Is that a threat or a promise?

If you do come here, please stop by my work: All-City Computers ;)

I'll see you ...

... in Camarillo!

branmakmuffin
09-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Is that a threat or a promise?
Which do you want it to be?

Vizzini
09-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Promise, as long as I get to take you out to lunch for being me Heeerrroo!

Which do you want it to be?

branmakmuffin
09-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Promise, as long as I get to take you out to lunch for being me Heeerrroo!
As long as we don't go to Eazy Edd's E. coli Eatery or Crazy Cal's Campylobacter Kitchen.

ShaeNightbird
09-12-2008, 04:57 PM
As long as we don't go to Eazy Edd's E. coli Eatery or Crazy Cal's Campylobacter Kitchen.

Don't forget Sal Monella's sleazy cheezy pizza parlour.

branmakmuffin
09-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Don't forget Sal Monella's sleazy cheezy pizza parlour.
Heh heh.

Roll out that sleazy, cheesy pizza to my table.

cappuccino
09-12-2008, 05:00 PM

yes it does. Too much bran has been known to cause, heart failure, strokes, divorce, national debt, mass suicide by young virgins, bank forclosures, and of course infidelity!

ShaeNightbird
09-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Heh heh.

Roll out that sleazy, cheesy pizza to my table.

We have no soda, or pretzels, I fear...

branmakmuffin
09-12-2008, 05:02 PM
yes it does. Too much bran has been known to cause, heart failure, strokes, divorce, national debt, mass suicide by young virgins, bank forclosures, and of course infidelity!
The lesson learned here is ...

... if you're gonna be a virginal girl, be an old virginal girl.

ShaeNightbird
09-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Yes, it's Attila the Nun. A simple country girl who took a vow of eternal brutality.

Countess_Alinda
09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
The Phiarlan Event Theater is actually seperate than the house theater

GoldyGopher
09-12-2008, 05:41 PM

And where is it?

Karranor
09-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Can you cast spells in this "theater"?

Viragon
09-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Please do this another way. I was the first one into the event and left to help some one to find it and found it closed. Should say it was first come first serve. I want my hat :(

Puby
09-12-2008, 06:05 PM
well where is it? and what time does it start?(eastern pls)

Arianrhod
09-12-2008, 06:05 PM
So where was the entrance to this thing? or is this part of the plan to limit attendance, not telling people how to find the door?

[edit - yes, I know it's already full today, at least on Khyber. I'd still like to know, for future reference]

Viragon
09-12-2008, 06:10 PM
It was inside the House P main building in the back. it was a Dimension Door on the left.

Puby
09-12-2008, 06:11 PM
yea same

So where was the entrance to this thing? or is this part of the plan to limit attendance, not telling people how to find the door?

[edit - yes, I know it's already full today, at least on Khyber. I'd still like to know, for future reference]

Vizzini
09-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Dammit why do you have to do this while I'm at work :p

and can someone please clarify it's location.

wickedzerlynda
09-12-2008, 06:22 PM
will the coin lords take my purse at this new live event I am sure I am behind in some tax or something?

Swegen
09-12-2008, 06:29 PM
will the coin lords take my purse at this new live event I am sure I am behind in some tax or something?

I hope not. I've been dodgin' em!

On a side note, on Argo, haven't seen anything leading to this new theater. Looking through the 'WHO' list and it doesn't look like anyone else (who isn't anon) has found it either.

cappuccino
09-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Same right now on Thelanis....but still watching for it

Vizzini
09-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Kicking it in House P Foyer on Requeim on Thelanis waiting...

Same right now on Thelanis....but still watching for it

cappuccino
09-12-2008, 06:38 PM

kickin' it with ya on melyanna

hydra_ex
09-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Stema shall wait with you as well.

Vizzini
09-12-2008, 06:52 PM
So what is this about the theater was released after last mod? I hadn't heard anything about it. Did I miss a post about that earlier?

Stema shall wait with you as well.

Swegen
09-12-2008, 06:53 PM
So what is this about the theater was released after last mod? I hadn't heard anything about it. Did I miss a post about that earlier?

I don't think anyone has really been inside it yet. They mentioned it when they put out the last patch, but hadn't heard anything since. I think folks dismissed it since they didn't see anything new physically.

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 07:25 PM
I give up been siiting in house p building for an hour wasting time.

Turbine you need to plan these things a little better, nobody likes standing around wiating for somethingto happen

Opall
09-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Is there anything going to be happening tonight? Has it already happened?
Why was there no time posted for this event?

I ask because I know there are ALOT of people currently in the House P Foyer waiting around.
If nothing is going to happen..or if it already has happened...You may want to post something here so people dont start Flaming.
Just a thought:)

Swegen
09-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, been in here with you guys on Argo for a while as well. If they're going to postpone it should at least make some kind of announcement so we can go do other stuff instead of patiently waiting for a whole lot of nothin'

Krysta_Shadowvol
09-12-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm with you on that one I could be getting the rest of my favor.

sf2000
09-12-2008, 07:44 PM
still counting :)

sf2000
09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
yes it does. Too much bran has been known to cause, heart failure, strokes, divorce, national debt, mass suicide by young virgins, bank forclosures, and of course infidelity!well look like all that you said are related to Fannie & freddie.:)

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 08:05 PM
well my one year old got ahold of the keyboard and finally did something constructive, he managed to log me out:eek:

Opall
09-12-2008, 08:06 PM
you have missed nothing at all.

Swegen
09-12-2008, 08:07 PM
well my one year old got ahold of the keyboard and finally did something constructive, he managed to log me out:eek:

Even your one year old knew when to give up! He just outsmarted those of us who have been sitting here waiting! Boy to I feel dumb :D

Opall
09-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Even your one year old knew when to give up! He just outsmarted those of us who have been sitting here waiting! Boy to I feel dumb :D

and yet we are still standing here like freaking idiots:(

sf2000
09-12-2008, 08:14 PM
I think ive seen a +3 con droping from the sky but im not sure...maybe just a butterfly!

Swegen
09-12-2008, 08:15 PM
We've got that 'I want to believe' mentality going for us.

Suppose it could be worse though, I could be playing WAR.

Opall
09-12-2008, 08:23 PM
We've got that 'I want to believe' mentality going for us.

Suppose it could be worse though, I could be playing WAR.

I should be playing WAR:)
I still have that "I want to believe" mentality.........hasnt gotten me very far though:(

Side note about WAR:
I enjoy it:)
Lots of people go into that game trying to compare it to DDO.
CANT be done....It is not DDO. They are 2 entirly different types of games.

However, DDO doesnt have much going on currently....for me anyways.
So WAR will keep me entertained until DDO can entertain me again.

Karrai
09-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Ive waited for an hr and a half, did not see any GM messages, gonna go play that game thats currently in Beta for the rest of the weekend

Swegen
09-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I've been playing it when I'm at home occasionally. It is absolutely nothing like DDO yes, but unfortunately it reminds me way too much of WoW.

The public quests are neat, and I like the background and mythology of it. I just don't think it will grab me, especially after my miserable WoW experiences.

Vizzini
09-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Come watch me dance scanity clad on the stage. Now accepting coppers and poles, for more erotic one on one sessions

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 08:35 PM
hey on the bright side I have gotten like 10 plat spam tells while sitting here, at least I am not too busy to report them and Turbine will be banning them soon

/sarcasm off

EightyFour
09-12-2008, 08:45 PM
This sounds like something that was thrown together at the last minute, I have no clue where it is, when it is supposed to start or if it is already over, I honestly hope that this event well start soon, or we at least get some kind of word that it is full/over, or something telling us when this well start and where to go.

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 08:47 PM
I am done off to running quests, thanks for wasting my time for 2 hours

Rowanheal
09-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I love when they have events...

I prepare snacks... put on a movie and prepare to move my character every 10 minutes or so ...

Nothing happening on argo... nothing to see .. move along :(

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Swegen
09-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Yep, time to put this one to bed.

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I love when they have events...

I prepare snacks... put on a movie and prepare to move my character every 10 minutes or so ...

Nothing happening on argo... nothing to see .. move along :(

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

ooh popcorn:)

Celestin
09-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Here is a screen shot of the event I managed to take.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4871/screenshot00006bx3.jpg

Swegen
09-12-2008, 09:10 PM
What server was this on Celestin? Argo had nothing all evening, my guess is that they're pushing it to tomorrow.

Wurmwood
09-12-2008, 09:11 PM
im sitting at the livewood theater on khyber, nothing yet :(

Asirin
09-12-2008, 09:11 PM
What server was this on Celestin? Argo had nothing all evening, my guess is that they're pushing it to tomorrow.
Neither was it on Sarlona....sigh.

Celestin
09-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I am on Khyber. The event I was at took place about 4 -5 hours ago.
And I won a lucky hat by answering a question correctly.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/5185/screenshot00009mg3.jpg

Wurmwood
09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
awwwwww, i was at work when i saw the new post, that wasnt even 2 hours ago! argh! they said tonight, so I assumed, well, at night :(

Asirin
09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
So its over?
Anyone get into the event on Sarlona?
Confirmation would be nice please...little tired of waiting around.

Rowanheal
09-12-2008, 09:21 PM
How silly of us to assume night meant well... NIGHT...

I would have loved to have covered this for the podcast...

I would have loved for it to have happened during peak hours when as many people as possible could enjoy it..

I know they are going to be re-running it... but good lord...

Am I gaming or watching movies all weekend and moving my character? LOL

*steaming*

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

moorewr
09-12-2008, 09:28 PM
It is disappointing to see Turbine fail to plan & to communicate the same way over and over. Where is the breakdown??

Wurmwood
09-12-2008, 09:32 PM
can we put up a petition to have another one tonight? This was kind of disappointing, waiting to get off work, rushing home, and waiting... it feels like Im back in the army. Call turbine and demand another one hehe
There is a few people waiting at the phiarlan theatre, mostly afk though, and a few people running up and asking when the event is every minute...

*edit* ok, so after asking around, i guess the event happened at the actual house phiarlan, where a dimension door was spawned.... even then, this happened way too early, all the working people are left out

Steiner-Davion
09-12-2008, 09:55 PM
TURBINE, you have really dropped the Ball here once again. Unlike for past events, you didn't even give us a a time window for each server. Tolero, you must be getting incredibly frustrated working for Turbine. Everyone saysd that you ran such incredible live events when you were a player, but these last events have been nothing but a time waste, as players spend hours and hours standing around waiting for something to happen. AND NOTHING DOES, so everyone gives up and quites before it goes down.

TURBINE, you really should be ashamed about this mess.

Missing_Minds
09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
got to be the plat spammers messing it up. I've been hit more times tonight alone than I have during the whole week.

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 10:11 PM
got to be the plat spammers messing it up. I've been hit more times tonight alone than I have during the whole week.

I have had the same guy hit me like 6 times in 20 minutes they must have gotten new spamming software

At least I know they still love me:D

Guaire
09-12-2008, 10:37 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Flaming plat spammers!

So glad I report them so those trusty GM's can bring down the lumber and ban them :rolleyes:

Is this the live event? Plat spam fest? :confused:

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 10:38 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Flaming plat spammers!

So glad I report them so those trusty GM's can bring down the lumber and ban them :rolleyes:

Is this the live event? Plat spam fest? :confused:

platspamalooza

EightyFour
09-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Great looking hat. But I don't think this one even counts towards live events as there was no planning, I mean even if you did a post at the last minute and said it's open at this location, that would have been better than what went on today.

ehcsztein
09-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Where is the breakdown??

In our expectations it would seem.

I actually expected to be able to log in tonight and experiencing part of the event.

Ramp up the hopes of the masses to only deliver to the few.

*shrug*

off to the pub ... almost to lvl cap on my new 33 point "pint lifter" build.

cheers

Steiner-Davion
09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
More live a "Dead" Event.

This is absolutely rediculous. Turbine, We want to know where the planning was for this event? Was this a last second, and I mean literally, a last second decision? Why hire someone like Merlask/Tolero who was so great at planning live events, and then pull this half @$$ stuff, making players waiting around for hours and hours and hours wondeirng if they missed the event on their server?

I mean so far we have confirmation, that the event took place ONLY ON Khyber. But what about the other servers?

Normally I'm a big fan of Turbine, and willingto give them the benefit of the doubt, but COME ON......

houxer1
09-12-2008, 11:18 PM
i've searched all of house p and didn't see anything close to that screne shot....so where and how do you get to this new theatre??

Steiner-Davion
09-12-2008, 11:19 PM
That screen shot is not exactly "in" House Phiarlan. Read this thread.

branmakmuffin
09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Here is a screen shot of the event I managed to take.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4871/screenshot00006bx3.jpg
How vibrant.

Vorn
09-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Nice looking hat. Very cool!

I couldn't find the theatre. Didn't look that hard though. Trotted around House P three times and didn't see anything that looked promising--the Gwylan's Stand entrance is a big arena but it was deserted, the building next to the post office had a couple of small rooms with a fountain and a small stage/altar-ish looking area. There were a couple of folks in there dancing and afk. Asked some friends if they knew where it was. No dice.

So went off and quested instead.

Did however over the course of the evening recieve 37 plat spam messages. At one point they were coming in faster then I could report them. Guess the plat farmers made a special effort for the live event.

ArkoHighStar
09-12-2008, 11:43 PM
More live a "Dead" Event.

This is absolutely rediculous. Turbine, We want to know where the planning was for this event? Was this a last second, and I mean literally, a last second decision? Why hire someone like Merlask/Tolero who was so great at planning live events, and then pull this half @$$ stuff, making players waiting around for hours and hours and hours wondeirng if they missed the event on their server?

I mean so far we have confirmation, that the event took place ONLY ON Khyber. But what about the other servers?

Normally I'm a big fan of Turbine, and willingto give them the benefit of the doubt, but COME ON......

It's supposed to be happening all weekend on and off, but for all I care they could drop the bloody theater on my head and say come on in and i woudl just walk right by and tell em to go bother someone who cares, because after tonight I have lost total interest in these things, it was the same thing with the pirate one, and the first day ofthe anniversary event, this huge buildup amnd then sheer utter dissapointment

The sad thing is Turbine has this great live event engine and they waste it on stupid trivia contests, where nobody knows where it is, or when it is, so we are forced to stand around for hours hoping we can get into something.

Asirin
09-12-2008, 11:52 PM
It's supposed to be happening all weekend on and off, but for all I care they could drop the bloody theater on my head and say come on in and i woudl just walk right by and tell em to go bother someone who cares, because after tonight I have lost total interest in these things, it was the same thing with the pirate one, and the first day ofthe anniversary event, this huge buildup amnd then sheer utter dissapointment

The sad thing is Turbine has this great live event engine and they waste it on stupid trivia contests, where nobody knows where it is, or when it is, so we are forced to stand around for hours hoping we can get into something.
/SIGNED!!!!!!!!!

FOUR hours waiting.......grr....
Keep your frilly hat.....it's simply not worth what I sat thru tonight.

cpampine
09-12-2008, 11:54 PM
It is disappointing to see Turbine fail to plan & to communicate the same way over and over. Where is the breakdown??

YEAH ***?!

totmacher
09-13-2008, 12:08 AM
this is what the "live events team" that's been hired is doing? gimme a break

Mistinarperadnacles
09-13-2008, 01:56 AM
I have occasionally been known to "entertain" adventurers, with a noted penchant for Halfling Bards.

Recently I was in the company of a nice young elf lady and whilst I was deciding whether or not I fancied a light snack or needed any new long, delicate bones for toothpicks, she regaled me with an interesting tale.

A refreshing change from the tired old, "Please don't!" "Arrgh! That's my spleen!" and "For the love of mercy stop burning my face!" This maid relayed such a tale of injustice that even I cared for long enough to put off the devouring.

I enclose here a transcript she wrote at my insistence:

Dear Countess Alinda,

For some time now I have been in the employ of yourself via Gray Sister Seld. This work is often sensitive, hazardous and vitally important. I have not received my Super Secret Librarian Starter Kit (with decoder ring + +5 tools) and have had to equip my basic needs for emergency lock repairs and wealth appropriation at my own expense. I submitted an expense claim form with receipts - signed in triplicate by the very Beholder responsible for the most recent additional replacement equipment claim. (see attached)

Attachment A (equipment replacement requisition)

I, Bobzsmiff, Elder Beholder do declare that I take full responsibility for the destruction of property listed herein. I wasn't feeling well and Disintegrated your employee. Please reissue 1 of each item. <Wa-Chooooo!> <BZZZZZT!> Please reissue 2 of each item.

I also have not received any dangerous conditions pay which I am assured will be backdated but is yet to be forthcoming. Bartenders of Stormreach are failing to honour the standard issue Frequent Fixers card and standard petty cash withdrawal procedure of pilfering House Phiarlan's Rainy Day Coffer o' Gold (tm) is failing to meet inflation.

As a 14th cousin twice removed and a paid up union member I shall gratefully expect to receive some remuneration in my mailbox shortly.

Yours Faithfully

Lucretia d'Phiarlan.

P.S. I have had to break the glass on my Emergency Only Greater Teleport Scroll.

Now, it saddens me to hear of a Great House mistreating valiant employees like this. So be forewarned, I shall be paying more attention to events in Stormreach and that big wet pansy of a disgrace to dragon kind that is Velah will seem like a puppy if I have to come over there. Remedy this situation instead of squandering all your money on fancy theatres or else you'll find you have a fancy pile of ash and somebody has burned all your skin off and forced you to catalogue their collection of salt and vinegar crisps.

Mistinarperadnacles Hai Draco

cdbd3rd
09-13-2008, 02:32 AM
I am on Khyber. The event I was at took place about 4 -5 hours ago.
And I won a lucky hat by answering a question correctly.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/5185/screenshot00009mg3.jpg

That rocks!!

Unfortunately for me...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A rainy, drizzly Friday gave way to dangerous storms in the afternoon. Several brief tornado touchdowns were reported around the Kansas City area.
<snip>
At the intersection of Interstate 70 near Missouri Highway 291 at 6:36 p.m.

...so I was a little distracted here today. :(

edit: (notices time -- errr, yesterday, that is. :o)

Arianrhod
09-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Great looking hat. But I don't think this one even counts towards live events as there was no planning, I mean even if you did a post at the last minute and said it's open at this location, that would have been better than what went on today.

Actually, what happened on Khyber was a world broadcast announcing the new theater would be open for a short time for a limited number of guests. Would have been helpful if they had followed up with another world brodacast that the event was full, and would not be reopening that evening. Would have saved a fair number of people continuing to run around trying to find the thing, and waiting hopefully for it to reopen to allow another batch of players in.

CozyBear2007
09-13-2008, 07:00 AM
I looked for this so called theater and I can not find it, I heard someone say it's under the Leaky Dingy I went there and guess what it was not there. So if there realy is a theater please tell where it is.

Spell
09-13-2008, 07:29 AM
vast and mysterious!!!
Oops! you missed it.
thank you for playing.

Hordo
09-13-2008, 07:50 AM
So, from what I understand there was a Dimension Door like thing in House Phiarlan (the house not the enclave) and only a few folks were allowed in to view the mysterium tremendum et fascinosum that is Turbine's MOD 8 genius and answer some trivia. Well, I guess I wasn't one of the chosen few...:confused:

ArkoHighStar
09-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Actually, what happened on Khyber was a world broadcast announcing the new theater would be open for a short time for a limited number of guests. Would have been helpful if they had followed up with another world brodacast that the event was full, and would not be reopening that evening. Would have saved a fair number of people continuing to run around trying to find the thing, and waiting hopefully for it to reopen to allow another batch of players in.

would have been even more hlpeful had they said which servers would be which day, and that waiting around would not be useful as they would anounce it via world broadcast.

I know Tolero wants to keep the RP spirit of it alive, but that was the mistake last time when everyone was left standing around

The10man
09-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Another Live event that fails to deliver. The last was a lagout this one a washout. Spend more time fixing the broken stuff and stop getting the player bases hopes up only to dash them once again with ppoor planning begetting ppoor performance.

Tharlak
09-13-2008, 10:22 AM
So I think I read the whole thread and I still don't know what happened.

So, what happened?

A ddoor let a "few" folks into a special theater and there was a pop quiz for prizes?

Anything linking back to the Sir Lawrence disappearance, the story line, whatever...

Kreaper
09-13-2008, 10:30 AM
WOW!

Congratulations Turbine!

Look how happy you have made your customers!

Niiiice!

:rolleyes:

Swegen
09-13-2008, 10:48 AM
So I think I read the whole thread and I still don't know what happened.

So, what happened?

A ddoor let a "few" folks into a special theater and there was a pop quiz for prizes?

Anything linking back to the Sir Lawrence disappearance, the story line, whatever...

Here is what happened from my perspective.

Turbine posts/announces yesterday that there will be a series of live trivia events starting 'tonight' at the new 'House Phiarlan Live Events Theater'. They fail to tell us where the location of how to get to this theater, which come to hear rumor that a dimension door like portal appeared inside of the the House Phiarlan Foyer (inside of the actual House Phiarlan House, not the enclave). The event was reported having been run around 5-6pm EST and closed up by 6:30 EST.

No announcements were made stating the time, although the announcement of starting 'tonight' had lead most to believe that this was going to be run later in the evening. Like between 7pm or 9pm EST. After numerous folks sat around waiting for the event to start most gave up after much frustration.

branmakmuffin
09-13-2008, 11:56 AM
WOW!

Congratulations Turbine!

Look how happy you have made your customers!

Niiiice!

:rolleyes:
Remember, unless people start canceling their subscriptions, they will not care how much you razz them. Companies are in the business of making money, not pleasing customers. Making customers happy costs money. Unless pleasing customers makes more money than it costs, they're not going to do it. So, if they have to please customers to make money, they will. Otherwise, no.

That said, razz away.

Memnir
09-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Another mismanaged failure of a live event? Who could have ever seen that coming???

Let's just run down a few things here...

lack of basic information - check
existing information cryptic and misleading - check
admitting only a select few while advertising it to all - check
leaving a lot people expecting an event confused and angry - check

Yep! Just another live event from Turbine, wasting people's time.
I swore off Live Events in this game after the Marketplace fiasco - and this thread is only proving me very, very right in doing so.

totmacher
09-13-2008, 12:48 PM
stop these events turbine

it's just frustrating people

if you can't get your act together, seriously, just don't do it

Furysetzer
09-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm not online with the game this week, but I agree that clearer instructions should have been made. Although the effort was appreciated I'm sure. From the sounds of it, it just seems that it was executed very poorly.

cdbd3rd
09-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I.... :(

....can't debate the accuracy of the thread, even tho I wasn't ingame yesterday.

But the hat still looks cool - and maybe we'll get something similar put into the regular (non-gotta-farm-an-uber-raid-to-get-one) loot tables.

Along with the piraty ones, just to be fair. :D Pleez? :o

Anastasios
09-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Big deal, some people got on the ball and got to be part of the event...probably a test system for making the live events work much better on a larger scale (wait that may not make sense huh...) I can only say thanx for at least making an effort. For those that feel a bit hurt I'm sure you'll get over it, instead of being so critical maybe you should just be prepared for these kind of things to happen until they can actually do a proper live event, because seriously, how else are you going to test a live event if you don't keep it on a small scale and tweeking it until you can do a large one with no issues.

Kudos, hope to see more of these type of events, no kudos to the _ _ _ _ _ _ S....

Steveem
09-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Wow Suddenly came out of nowhere

Pyromaniac
09-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Had a guildee be lucky enough to be one of the chosen few, but didn't win anything.

The building behind the mailbox in house P has a door, enter it. In that room there is/was a dimension door. If you were fast/lucky enough to get through the dimension door you got into a trivia room. If you got picked/enough trivia questions (not sure) then you got to another area.

The total event was 15-20 minutes roughly. If anyone was anywhere else in house P, you wasted your time.

Frankly - its nice that there was an attempt at a live event. The previous live events were much superior - spawning mobs that aren't teleporting is more fun cause at least everyone can participate.

Good thing it was luck I logged in just before the event started, I definitely wouldn't change any plans to make an effort to attend something like this.

Steveem
09-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Heh,Please Spawn Something somwhere, So wont make me as mad:)

Buba3333
09-13-2008, 06:02 PM
this sucks

ArkoHighStar
09-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Big deal, some people got on the ball and got to be part of the event...probably a test system for making the live events work much better on a larger scale (wait that may not make sense huh...) I can only say thanx for at least making an effort. For those that feel a bit hurt I'm sure you'll get over it, instead of being so critical maybe you should just be prepared for these kind of things to happen until they can actually do a proper live event, because seriously, how else are you going to test a live event if you don't keep it on a small scale and tweeking it until you can do a large one with no issues.

Kudos, hope to see more of these type of events, no kudos to the _ _ _ _ _ _ S....

So how are we supposed to be prepared, the event has no posted time, nowhere does it say it is a test? I got home from work and was logged on at 6:30pm and stayed in House P for 2.5 hours waiting along with people like Rowanheal who reports on RP items for DDOcast(You would think that smart people would have given her a heads up so it could have been featured in this weeks DDOCast, instead she can report that she wasted her evening waiting for something that didn't happen) , how much more prepared do we have to be. The problem is not the event but the fact that Turbine seems convinced that when they make these kinds of anouncements they have to be totaly RP compliant, and things like

This is a test so we don't expect much neither should you
The times will be random and will be preceeded by a world anouncement
They will happen on the following approx schedule on each server
Space will be limited as this is a test

would ruin the fantasy

Like it or not people have lives and many of us play this game in our spare times, after we have spent time at work and with our families. I got grief from my wife last because I was on early and she wanted a break from watching the baby all day. God forbid Turbine give us a little info. But Turbine would rather be vast and mysterious, or think we like to run to Meridia because its fun, instead of letting us teleport there like we should have able to 6 months ago.

omnific
09-13-2008, 06:24 PM
And where and when is this going to be? We're all waiting, Argonnessen.

ArkoHighStar
09-13-2008, 06:25 PM
And where and when is this going to be? We're all waiting, Argonnessen.

we waited for over 2 hours last night, hope your having fun

ArkoHighStar
09-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Well it apparently just started on argo they made the following world anouncement

(World Broadcast): World broadcast: 'The Phiarlian Event Theater entrance is now open to visitors for a limited time'

folowed by this right after

(World Broadcast): World broadcast: 'If you miss your chance to visit the theater this time, be on the look out for future events.'

everyone ran to house p building nothing there

omnific
09-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Had a guildee be lucky enough to be one of the chosen few, but didn't win anything.

The building behind the mailbox in house P has a door, enter it. In that room there is/was a dimension door. If you were fast/lucky enough to get through the dimension door you got into a trivia room. If you got picked/enough trivia questions (not sure) then you got to another area.

The total event was 15-20 minutes roughly. If anyone was anywhere else in house P, you wasted your time.

Frankly - its nice that there was an attempt at a live event. The previous live events were much superior - spawning mobs that aren't teleporting is more fun cause at least everyone can participate.

Good thing it was luck I logged in just before the event started, I definitely wouldn't change any plans to make an effort to attend something like this.

Fortunately I ran up here to see this post. Thx Pyro. Otherwise I would waste another 2 hours.

Ringos
09-13-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't complain too much, and I love this game, but this kinda sucked IMO. I have attended events in the large, open-air theatre where I had not been chosen. That's fine. To broadcast the event and then only allow a small portion of the people in that rushed to get there sucks though. Being there for an event can be fun, even if not chosen. Being told of the event, showing up and then getting left out with a large number of others isn't good for morale.

/rant off

omnific
09-13-2008, 06:52 PM

So yea, you really got me angry this time. That's why I don't trust none of ya! You lose 20 favor from me!

Ringos
09-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Another mismanaged failure of a live event? Who could have ever seen that coming???

Let's just run down a few things here...

lack of basic information - check
existing information cryptic and misleading - check
admitting only a select few while advertising it to all - check
leaving a lot people expecting an event confused and angry - check

Yep! Just another live event from Turbine, wasting people's time.
I swore off Live Events in this game after the Marketplace fiasco - and this thread is only proving me very, very right in doing so.

Dude, you are too funny! :)

I actualy agree with Tot on this...if this type of thing is the best ya got, just focus on the game. This takes your time, our time and for what? Frustrated players.

Anastasios
09-13-2008, 06:59 PM
So how are we supposed to be prepared, the event has no posted time, nowhere does it say it is a test? I got home from work and was logged on at 6:30pm and stayed in House P for 2.5 hours waiting along with people like Rowanheal who reports on RP items for DDOcast(You would think that smart people would have given her a heads up so it could have been featured in this weeks DDOCast, instead she can report that she wasted her evening waiting for something that didn't happen) , how much more prepared do we have to be. The problem is not the event but the fact that Turbine seems convinced that when they make these kinds of anouncements they have to be totaly RP compliant, and things like

This is a test so we don't expect much neither should you
The times will be random and will be preceeded by a world anouncement
They will happen on the following approx schedule on each server
Space will be limited as this is a test

would ruin the fantasy

Like it or not people have lives and many of us play this game in our spare times, after we have spent time at work and with our families. I got grief from my wife last because I was on early and she wanted a break from watching the baby all day. God forbid Turbine give us a little info. But Turbine would rather be vast and mysterious, or think we like to run to Meridia because its fun, instead of letting us teleport there like we should have able to 6 months ago.

Once again...I'm sure you'll get over it. I'm not saying that what I mentioned before is the exact take on what happened BUT it was thrown together last second...it doesn't ruin the game if they do this stuff unless YOU OR OTHERS FEEL THAT YOU HAD TO BE THERE TO MAKE THE GAME ENJOYABLE and honestly is that why you really play this game? (TURBINE'S NEW MOTTO MAYBE-a beatching gamer is a happy gamer?). I'm sure if they wanted some exposure on this they would have contacted certain individuals to cover it, so as you think more and more about it, I'm sure they are doing some sort of testing although I could be wrong.

Don't sweat the small stuff, I myself kind of enjoy not being in the know, as it's not only the game that keeps me going, mostly the social interaction with the people I meet and know is the major reason I'm still around...in all reality when it comes down to it, would I rather sit waiting for a live event with no sort of organization, or would I rather play the game with the people I know...Don't get me wrong, I think I would've thrown some moves on the Countess and enjoyed it, but really there are so many other female elves out there with whom I could have a better time with...

Give it some time, I'm hoping myself this will be a null point down the road...

totmacher
09-13-2008, 07:00 PM
i was first one in on argo on my 2nd box

still wasn't worth the time

lemme say this again turbine. make events that are automated (festival coins, the marketplace invasion, stuff like that) and people won't be frustrated because eveyrone can participate

this was just lame, lame, lame, totally not worth it, even if I had gotten the hat ;)

Aerniel
09-13-2008, 07:03 PM
lame.....

branmakmuffin
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
i was first one in on argo on my 2nd box

still wasn't worth the time

lemme say this again turbine. make events that are automated (festival coins, the marketplace invasion, stuff like that) and people won't be frustrated because eveyrone can participate

this was just lame, lame, lame, totally not worth it, even if I had gotten the hat ;)
Oh, I heard the hat looks, like, totally cool.

So it's just Turbine employees asking trivia questions? Is that the extent of it?

ArkoHighStar
09-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Once again...I'm sure you'll get over it. I'm not saying that what I mentioned before is the exact take on what happened BUT it was thrown together last second...it doesn't ruin the game if they do this stuff unless YOU OR OTHERS FEEL THAT YOU HAD TO BE THERE TO MAKE THE GAME ENJOYABLE and honestly is that why you really play this game? (TURBINE'S NEW MOTTO MAYBE-a beatching gamer is a happy gamer?). I'm sure if they wanted some exposure on this they would have contacted certain individuals to cover it, so as you think more and more about it, I'm sure they are doing some sort of testing although I could be wrong.

Don't sweat the small stuff, I myself kind of enjoy not being in the know, as it's not only the game that keeps me going, mostly the social interaction with the people I meet and know is the major reason I'm still around...in all reality when it comes down to it, would I rather sit waiting for a live event with no sort of organization, or would I rather play the game with the people I know...Don't get me wrong, I think I would've thrown some moves on the Countess and enjoyed it, but really there are so many other female elves out there with whom I could have a better time with...

Give it some time, I'm hoping myself this will be a null point down the road...

Givne that I walked away after 2 hours and ran 4 raids before I went to bed, it's obvious that I am capable of doing other things besides waiting around. The point is simple, don't advertise what you can't deliver. If it is a test, then say it make it obvious, and stop trying to put a role play spin on the anouncements

totmacher
09-13-2008, 07:57 PM
i onyl caught it because i have two boxes, i wouldn't have waited around otherwise

Kistilan
09-13-2008, 08:05 PM

oh yeah i went there

Did they tell you yet, Tot? I'd like to find Nat Gann too.

flamberg
09-13-2008, 08:29 PM
These live events always happen on the day I work. I work one out of three days and yet I seem to miss every live event. 24hrs on 48hrs off. Please do the math and open them up for a couple days instead of one.

Better to hog tie me and beat me then make me miss the live events.

noneou
09-13-2008, 08:43 PM
oh gee another "Live Event" which only 20&#37; of the people can enjoy. Way to go Turbine! You have teh smarts.
Account Closed

Ringos
09-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Well, a guildie got the hat. At least it looks cool.

Deriaz
09-14-2008, 09:34 AM
I want that hat so badly. That would look so cool on a Warforged. Any Warforged. I mean, a Warforged in a feathered hat might seem overpowered, cause even the Abbot would probably fear the pimp-slap, but. . . I mean, come on. You know you wanna see it.

I gotta be online more often. Gotta get me one of those hats. . .

-D

Tolero
09-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Good afternoon gang.

So just to be clear on this...

This is the first round in what we hope to be more of these more often. We're starting small because we want to make sure nothing breaks with this new event space. Provided everything goes well, we're hoping to be able to have even more activities in the Theater at even more times. Are we still going to be working on other types of events with wacky monster craziness and festivult goodness? Yep. But we're splashing these in as well. Expect to see them more often at more random times. If you miss this one, don't worry, there will be others at another point.

We didn't make a huge deal of it because this is a very minor event, and seating is limited, so there's no sense getting the entire place too worked up over something small. DDO is an instanced game, thus there's only so much room in the theater, and there's not a lot we can do about that. If you're in the middle of a quest chain working your way to the end, are you going to want to drop it to go to the Theater? Probably not - these events are meant as a small way to spend some time casually. But if you're the sort who really enjoys this sort of social gathering, be sure to get out early for a chance to participate.

Again, yes we plan on doing more invasion-like events and festivals, but this is just an added random encounter, similar to past random encounter style events such as Trade or No Trade, Tavern Brawls, and The Emerald Claw Conspiracy. No reason we can't have both. The Festivult Jester is already stocking his bags for winter ^^

Coldin
09-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Good afternoon gang.

This is the first round in what we hope to be more of these more often. We're starting small because we want to make sure nothing breaks with this new event space. Provided everything goes well, we're hoping to be able to have even more activities in the Theater at even more times. Are we still going to be working on other types of events with wacky monster craziness and festivult goodness? Yep. But we're splashing these in as well. Expect to see them more often at more random times. If you miss this one, don't worry, there will be others at another point.

We didn't make a huge deal of it because this is a very minor event, and seating is limited, so there's no sense getting the entire place too worked up over something small. DDO is an instanced game, thus there's only so much room in the theater, and there's not a lot we can do about that. If you're in the middle of a quest chain working your way to the end, are you going to want to drop it to go to the Theater? Probably not - these events are meant as a small way to spend some time casually. But if you're the sort who really enjoys this sort of social gathering, be sure to get out early for a chance to participate.

Again, yes we plan on doing more invasion-like events and festivals, but this is just an added random encounter, similar to past random encounter style events such as Trade or No Trade, Tavern Brawls, and The Emerald Claw Conspiracy. No reason we can't have both. The Festivult Jester is already stocking his bags for winter ^^

That's fine and good Tolero, but this should have been made more clear from the beginning. Also, once the Theater is closed, there should be multiple announcements afterward stating so. And a rough time-frame of when the event is supposed to start would go a long way as well, even if it's supposed to be random.

Basically, while keeping things in a RP perspective is good, it's also good making all details of the event known and easy to understand.

Memnir
09-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I have to agree with Coldin.
Clarity should not come after the event. It is bad policy, and leads to a lot of frustrated players - as the past eight pages should indicate. If this is indeed a test run, then I hope that is one aspect that the Devs are not going to ignore (again) if these events continue. I enjoy the idea and the potential of the Live Events - but the way they've been handled in this game have utterly killed any and all interest I had in actually attending them.

Tolero
09-14-2008, 01:14 PM
We're moving away from 'announced' days/times for several reasons:

1. Knowing the day/time/server doesn't guarantee you participation because of the instancing. Hence from here on out, if you see the message go up, if you happen to be free, you can meander over. If you're in the middle of something, don't sweat it, there will be others another time. Knowing ahead of time when it is, sitting and patiently waiting, then STILL not getting in, is equally as frustrating.

2. Everyone "camping" to get into it because they know where/when it starts means decreased performance, and that's no fun for sure.

3. This is a living breathing game, so to speak, and unexpected circumstances arise. If something happens that is a serious risk to server performance, and causes us to have to cancel an event that was "scheduled", it's also not fun to have been someone who was patiently waiting for it to happen at the announced time only to find out it's been canceled due to server issues.

I do agree with you that once the Theater reaches its seating capacity it could do with a "the Theater is full" type message though, so I'll be sure to forward that over to the Events team. From here on out events in the Theater will "spring" on you, but you really won't need any prior instructions. If you see that the Theater doors are open you're welcome to head over, and the event host will tell you everything you need to know during the show.

Now when it comes to world changing or other more "broad" events with much larger volume of player participation, we'll be sure to bring you updated info on those through both ddo.com and the forums, because participation in those is not limited by being in the same instance as the event host, so there definately needs to be more clarification. Any really large scale events we will definately give you a prior heads up, instructions on how you can get in on the action, and a rough idea of what you can expect to see.

Spell
09-14-2008, 01:17 PM
"I attended a DDO Live Event, and all I got was this T-Shirt"

ArkoHighStar
09-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Good afternoon gang.

Thank you Tolero, this does a lot to clear things up. I think putting in some extra disclaimers that this was a test etc, would have probably diffused a lot of anger, as people were not entirely sure what limited seating meant, or that it would be once per server etc. I for one have no issue with RP events, and think the key to the success of the live event engine will be it varied use for all types of player styles, and am pleased that we will see more invasion events. the issue with limited seating is that you will always have people who will be left out, or who got there 1 minute too late, etc, and if you don't have multiple occurences people will always feel left out

Bradik_Losdar
09-14-2008, 02:12 PM
That's fine and good Tolero, but this should have been made more clear from the beginning. Also, once the Theater is closed, there should be multiple announcements afterward stating so. And a rough time-frame of when the event is supposed to start would go a long way as well, even if it's supposed to be random.

Basically, while keeping things in a RP perspective is good, it's also good making all details of the event known and easy to understand.

Very well put.

If the events are going to be truely random, it would be nice to know ahead of time. A posting in the forums such as the following would go a long way: "During the next TWO weeks at completely RANDOM times day or night and on RANDOM servers, Countess D'Phiarlan will be hosting sneak peeks to the new Theater House currently under constuction (located inside the foyer of the House P building itself, not the ward) to VERY SMALL groups. The event is only a preview (perhaps some very minor prizes will be awarded, but they are nothing worth dropping out of a quest you are currently in or camping the location). A World Broadcast will be made when the event takes place, so if you are free when it is announced, by all means drop by. Again, seating is very limited, so it will fill quickly. SEVERAL World Broadcast announcements will be made when it is full. Hope to see you there!"

Edit: Forgot to add the length of the event would be nice too. Such as, "This sneak peek will last appoximately 20 minutes and will be done appoximately three times per server". That way folks know if they have enough time to spend on it and if they they might get another chance later if they miss one.

Steiner-Davion
09-14-2008, 05:31 PM
I could not have said it much better myself. Tolero, I meant no disrespect to you in my previous posts or in my upcoming podcast segment.

Rheebus
09-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I just saw a world message on Ghallanda announcing some event...I was in the Titan when it happened. I ran to the theater as soon as we killed that metallic minion and there were a bunch of folks just standing around. No one knew anything. Nothing so far...at least since I've been here.

Dragonhyde
09-14-2008, 06:28 PM
This basically is the worst "world event" that has been thought up! Bad directions on where you wanted people to be and then to top it off no world broadcast announcing when the thing that few could find (without apparantly some inside information) had reached capacity.:mad:

Darkwolf1071
09-14-2008, 06:55 PM
I did find a ring down there. There was an echoing voice saying something about his "precious" being gone... must have been Sir Lawrence. I've tried the ring out a few times, but wasn't impressed. All it did was make me go invisible. ;)

p.s.

Best. Comment. Ever.

noscarrell
09-14-2008, 07:16 PM
where exactly is the entrance and exactly what time will it be open?

Erekose
09-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Just read the whole thread, very funny stuff.

I like it. This sort of thing will be great for those who can't find a group. Or players with 2 boxes, ewber!

As for the hat, marvelous. I was just thinking how cool a hat like that would be and there it is, Puss in Boots style. So pimp.

Keep up the great work, I wanna see more pimp gear and bling!

cdbd3rd
09-14-2008, 07:22 PM
where exactly is the entrance and exactly what time will it be open?

As for where - Go to the actual House P (By where you get buffs at, and right by the mailbox). Go thru the big doors just to the left of the mailbox, turn left inside. If the event isn't full yet, you will see a Dimension Door right in that first room.

When? Random. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=1860011#post1860011

Memnir
09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Well, if random is indeed the direction you want to go in for the Live Events, Tolero, all I can do is respectfully disagree. I won't worry about or waste my time with Live Events from this point forward. See, when I log on I like to, ya know..., quest. Not to be waiting on the edge of my seat for an announcement for something I might or might not even get into. I certainly won't recall out of a quest to hurry to try and catch the D-Door, and nor will anyone I know.

"Oh man, sorry about the Shroud group gang - I just gotta try to make that Trivia contest they just announced!!! Did'ja see those hats???" is not a sentence I expect to ever hear in my DDO lifespan, either.

So if this is the direction you want to go... see ya. I won't waste another moment even worried about them. It's too bad that instead of making things more structured and organized so more people could sample the Live Events - you've chosen to go the absolute opposite route. Yet another example of Turbine not hearing it's paying populous - and another example of why people get frustrated and bitter.

Good choice.

David_Edwards
09-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Greetings, citizens of Stormreach! I am Countess Alinda d'Phiarlan, and I bring you fair tidings in a time of uncertainty.

The sight of the crater where the beautiful Marketplace tent once stood is an unmistakable reminder of the horrors our city has faced in recent times. It has been a dark time in our fair city, but the Coin Lords have teamed up with the House Phiarlan to uplift the spirits of the people of Stormreach in these times of peril. Therefore, I'm happy to announce that there will be an inaugural event for the brand new Phiarlan Event Theater!

Beginning tonight, and throughout this weekend, the Coin Lords will open the doors for a brief time to allow interested citizens to get their first glimpses of this new arena and participate in an evening of Trivia. Seating is limited, but if you miss your chance to explore the theater at the inaugural event, be on the look out for the next opportunity at the next Live Event!

Thanks for the Lucky Hat, (This jaunty hat, originally worn by Three Toed Tobias, is said to imbue its wearer with incredible luck.) not sure it has any properties but I am only one of few that have one :).

Bullionn - Sarlona

ps (Tell): Clandathu tells you, 'I think you have the coolest looking toon on the server now lol maybe in the whole game :)'

Anastasios
09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the Lucky Hat, (This jaunty hat, originally worn by Three Toed Tobias, is said to imbue its wearer with incredible luck.) not sure it has any properties but I am only one of few that have one :).

Bullionn - Sarlona

'Clapping his hands and ringing his bell'

"AHEM HEY COUNTESS....Any cookies left for this guy?"

I'm very proud of you btw...but I am more proud of those who can't put 1 and 1 together...

Bradik_Losdar
09-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Just a bit of feedback here Tolero as was just lucky enough to be part of one of the Sneak Peek events.
Here's what I found:

It seems the stage is special place as the event host(ess) and any participant he/she teleports on stage are isolated from many outside emotes. You cannot clap or cheer for a winner while he/she is still on stage - of course you can't sit, kiss, be angry or anything else to them (to heckle them) either I assume. Would be nice if positive emotes worked while negative ones didn't.

The lighting seemed a bit dim except for the stage which is to be expected in a theater setting, but I assume this makes it hard not only for audience members to see each other clearly, but for the host as well to pick people out of the crowd. Bring up the house lights a bit.

The acoustics are terrible right now. I was standing a few paces back from the stage on one side and could only hear the hosts questions when they were on the same side of the stage I was. I think the range of the blue text host "says" need to be extended a bit. Would it really hurt if you could hear them (blue host text only) in any part of the room? (even in one of the far corners?)

Overall the event was much more orderly than ones I have attended in the past. The magic dampening effect of the room and the small size of the crowd certainly contributed to this I'm sure. The only thing missing was a refreshment stand, as the theater itself was acting like a relaxing tavern in every other respect.

I didn't get called on stage (I would have declined and allowed someone else to take my place as the hat (and chain, etc) really aren't my style), but still had fun watching folks answer the trivia questions and win their stuff.

In closing, I think it's a bad decision to leave the location 'vast and mysterious' for the reason you say, "2. Everyone "camping" to get into it because they know where/when it starts means decreased performance, and that's no fun for sure.". Leaving the time random - and CLEARLY stateing that fact ahead of time - should remove any camping. But for folks seeing the World Broadcast for the first time and then running all over House P trying to find a 'hidden' event is EXTREMELY frustrating especially when they know there are limited spots and time is ticking. (I only got in because I knew where it was from this thread)

Hope that helps build a better events venue.

David_Edwards
09-14-2008, 10:06 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z68/bullionn/Lucky%20Hat/ScreenShot00014-1.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z68/bullionn/Lucky%20Hat/ScreenShot00015-1-1.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z68/bullionn/Lucky%20Hat/ScreenShot00012-1.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z68/bullionn/Lucky%20Hat/ScreenShot00007.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z68/bullionn/Lucky%20Hat/ScreenShot00006.jpg

moorewr
09-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Tolero - much more thought needs to be put into setting expectations. People read limited information and they expect certain things, like a schedule. or something to see, or.. anything. You would have been better server to post "Be on the lookout for new openings in House P" - and left ti at that.

You needed something new to see even if you couldn't participate in the trivia contest. I was irked that I couldn't so much as see one new instanced space.

For all the past live event troubles things have simply gone downhill since Deal or No Deal. You practically guaranteed here, and in the Tent event, that people would stand around with nothing to do. Of course that's a blunder.

Sillk
09-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Not sure if this will work or not, but this is what the live event looked like to me. Is this a bug?

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9778/screenshot00005bn7.jpg
By camaro1k95 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/camaro1k95) at 2008-09-14

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/736/screenshot00002yf3.jpg

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5654/screenshot00001mc0.jpg

Coldin
09-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Not sure if this will work or not, but this is what the live event looked like to me. Is this a bug?

That is pretty odd. It could be a graphical bug, or it could be snow. I really can't tell.

Longshot7
09-15-2008, 10:33 AM
I was one of the lucky attendees to be on at the right time this weekend. I made it into the Theatre and participated. I was a bit bummed that my chance to answer a question was against 2 other people with the quickest answer winning the hat. I did walk away with a "Lousy Chain Shirt". No no.. not complaining.. That was the name of it. I would like to post a screenshot or be able to let you know what it looked like.. but oh wait.. I was on my WARFORGED!!!!

No lousy docents??

Oh well.. Fun event tho.. kudos to Turbine.

samagee
09-15-2008, 01:59 PM
"I attended a DDO Live Event, and all I got was this T-Shirt"

Perhaps it would look better if you added cold water to the front of it. :D

Nightbreeze
09-15-2008, 06:34 PM
At least they tested the new theater in this fashion. I do not believe this was supposed to be a major event. I agree that there were problems associated with previous live events, and people jumping from instance to instance trying to get chosen. By testing the new venue with a random minor event they are able to get feedback from the players as well as see real results from the program itself.

Thank you for testing the new theater before throwing a major event so you can work out the bugs.

Joseph
09-16-2008, 05:37 AM
So - a bit of a complaint - but VERY justified in my opinion.

My wife was very excited about the event text (she has never seen any of these things before), so we went to the theater and hung out for a long time (30 minutes or more). Nothing happened, no one came, and there were no further event messages. We arrived pretty early (there were only maybe 20 people there), and as we waited that number grew to around fifty - but no one showed.

So, Tolero, or whomever is in charge of these - I personally don't mind - and the wife doesn't either so much - but you guys just took someone who is still VERY 'eyes wide open' about these type of games, and she got a little stuck feeling.

Second - my wife ALSO accidentally traded her armor to me because she did not want to accidentally sell it (I know - stone of change - but she does not want to do that, and it is fine with me if she doesn't). Instead she traded it to another person (+5 Adamantine FP). This was done at the festival 'gathering' - which never happened. Again - no dramas - I will buy her another set.

Anyway - thanks for the ears on this. Meoii is her character name if the armor person feels bad and wants to send it back to her. She is not a twink and knows nothing about building her character (Two Handed Fighting Dark Elf Paladin, Level 10, AC 27 with the new set of +5 FP I bought her). I am her Displacement bot. She is happy with her character though, so no dramas. She will never have an elite or twink build.

Cheers,
- J

Jefro
09-16-2008, 07:12 AM
The other theater in house P by gwylan stand is not the correct theater for the event, the demension door appeared elsewhere in house P, and those few that found out got in. Like myself.

TommyBoy
09-16-2008, 09:09 AM

A coinlord ate my baby!

Bradik_Losdar
09-16-2008, 02:32 PM
The other theater in house P by gwylan stand is not the correct theater for the event, the demension door appeared elsewhere in house P, and those few that found out got in. Like myself.

Exactly. These events should not be a frustrating hide and seek exercise. The post just above this quoted one about the man and his wife waiting in the Livewood Theater for something to happen just makes me angry. They had no idea that the event was actually inside the House P building itself, where a Dimension Door appeared for a very brief time, transporting people to the new "Theater House" (a complete misnomer in itself as it is merely a room inside the House P building).

These events need to be clearly and precisely labeled as to when and where they are going to be held. As in a previous post of mine, if the Devs are affraid of site camping, then clearly state that the event will happen at random times over a certain period of time (like, "At completely random times over the weekend...").If they want to make the event a hide and seek event - state it as such! ("Hidden somewhere in the House P ward (indoors or outdoors), a Dimension Door to the new theater room will appear...etc").

Everyone, even the dyed in the wool powergamer, loves live events - and have said so over and over. However the experiences here in DDO with them seem to have gotten worse and worse instead of better over time.

To emphasize: clear and presise communication is the key to making these events everything people want them to be.

Turial
09-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Interesting event. Didn't get to get in even though I happened to be in the area where the DD came up and was the only one there. Interesting indead...

Jefro
09-16-2008, 06:48 PM
They could have made it a NPC like the start of the devil's event, which gives you chance to choose from multiple answer for random question to recieve its prize. And portal to this area be the same as the timer from devil's event. That way +countess does not have to personally teleport and choose people.

ahpook
09-17-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't have a problem with random or unscheduled events but the random dissappearing d-door is wrong. If you have never been to an event you won't know for certain where it is supposed to be. This leaves players wasting time running around confused and getting ticked off (as you can see by the responses here).

I suggest you make the theater a permanent door like any quest with aapropriate signage like a theater might have. Then if a player clicks on the door they can get an entry screen to enter the event or a message like
- there are no events scheduled
- xxx event starts in 1 hour
- sorry, xxx is sold out (fully occupied)

The sold out message is much clearer than noticing that something (ddoor) is not there or world broadcast that you might have missed because you were changing characters. Also the existence of the theater entrance advertises that there are live events occaisonnaly.

While unscheduled events are fine it might be nice to also hold some regular events like a newbie tutorial/QA session. Some events need to be predictable to be useful.

Talon_Moonshadow
09-17-2008, 01:13 PM
I appreciate your efforts....don't get me wrong. You guys do a great job and I like this game.

But your live events are not very lively.

And poor communication makes people frustrated.

I stood around in the Livewood theater and waited.

Then I stood in the House P....house..?
And waited.
Then I noticed in general chat, not in red letters that would have stood out, a comment about the even being full.
And I waited. And so did others.

A few months ago, I waited for Devils to spawn in the Market.
Every now and then a few did and it was great fun.
Then I waited, and waited and waited...........

We need more! We need often, and everyone needs to get a chance to participate.

I don't know what it takes to do that.
More DMs? I don't know.
But I want to see lively live events, and I want to have fun too.

I'm sure this last one was great for those few who got to see it.

Just like I had fun when I got to fight a Devil in the Market (without lag). But usually, I didn't get to fight a Devil.
Someone else killed him first, someone else took the loot...

And all I got to do was stand around and wait some more. :(

(the Emerald Claw attack on Anastasia (whoever) island was fabulous! After the waiting for it to begin anyway....thx.)

Nivram
09-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Umm I was in the middle of a major hurricane named IKE this weekend. I lost power due to flooding, high winds, horizontal rains and the occasional lightning strike. So it wasn't till Monday night that I learned that there was a live event through my guild and guild web site forums. Then I hear that only 20 people were allowed in???? WHAT??? and WHY??? Wow that's a great idea for those who play religously and have a drastic event like a HURRICANE!!! Only one live event?? Are there going to be more?? Sure hope so.

So if there are anybody on-line that were affected by hurricane Ike I hope all is well and you have power back on, no tree's on your roof and water and ice.

You can find me online during the evening hours on Ghallanda. I'm Nivram, Bravesir and Spam.

Once again please tell me if there is going to be another live event and will there be room for more than 20 players??

ArkoHighStar
09-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Umm I was in the middle of a major hurricane named IKE this weekend. I lost power due to flooding, high winds, horizontal rains and the occasional lightning strike. So it wasn't till Monday night that I learned that there was a live event through my guild and guild web site forums. Then I hear that only 20 people were allowed in???? WHAT??? and WHY??? Wow that's a great idea for those who play religously and have a drastic event like a HURRICANE!!! Only one live event?? Are there going to be more?? Sure hope so.

So if there are anybody on-line that were affected by hurricane Ike I hope all is well and you have power back on, no tree's on your roof and water and ice.

You can find me online during the evening hours on Ghallanda. I'm Nivram, Bravesir and Spam.

Once again please tell me if there is going to be another live event and will there be room for more than 20 players??

This was apparently a test of a new live event system, and they have indicated that there will be more to come in the future, details are still vague though as to how often, whether it will be automated etc.

flamberg
09-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Wow sorry turbine pretty lame on the live event. A world message then 20 people get in. Thats a little better than a raid party. Don't know the count of people on the servers but very lame to only allow 20 people who had inside information on the event can you say you take our money not just 20 peoples money. Give access to the whole server instead of the few that happen to have the inside info to go into the house p main house.:eek:

Steiner-Davion
09-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Wow sorry turbine pretty lame on the live event. A world message then 20 people get in. Thats a little better than a raid party. Don't know the count of people on the servers but very lame to only allow 20 people who had inside information on the event can you say you take our money not just 20 peoples money. Give access to the whole server instead of the few that happen to have the inside info to go into the house p main house.:eek:

It was not "Inside" information as you put it. And no I didn't get in myself. Never saw any announcements or even the door.

Voalkrynn2
09-20-2008, 06:12 AM
see the title

Amid the chaos of Shavarath's attacks, event host Sir Lawrence d'Deneith went missing. We searched for him in vain, as well as other missing citizens, and all signs seemed to point to an untimely demise at the clawed hands of Shavarath devils. We had given up all hope... until now. Rumors have surfaced that Sir Lawrence has been spotted (though no one has been able to offer concrete evidence of these appearances). Perhaps it is destiny that he will be returned to us just as the Coin Lords and House Phiarlan have completed their work on a new structure for city beautification. With luck and the strength of numbers, we can set things right. Until Sir Lawrence d'Deneith can be accounted for, in the near future, the duty of hosting events will fall upon myself and the other envoys of the Coin Lords: Lord Wilrian d'Kundarak, Baroness Kessete d'Jorasco, and Captain Stephian d'Orien. We will also be heading up the investigation into Sir Lawrence's disappearance. We ask that any citizens who encounter Sir Lawrence in their travels come forward with information.

In the meantime, we hope that you enjoy the new event theater, and look forward to bringing you more events in the theater soon!

akiraproject24
09-21-2008, 10:49 AM
It was just a trial thing if you missed it then....big deal there will be others. It appears this wasnt meant to accomodate the masses and thats fine here, who needs to see 500 pimp hats runnin around stormreach. Grat to those that got in!

Oolung
09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
when did this happen? i kno i missed it but still want to kno when it happened...oh and nice hat...........................

Steiner-Davion
09-23-2008, 10:23 PM
when did this happen? i kno i missed it but still want to kno when it happened...oh and nice hat...........................

Well looking at the first post, I'd say it started on the Friday the 12th, but hat is jsut me. It went all weekend.

alchilito
09-24-2008, 10:09 PM
quit doing these lame half hearted "live" events and GET TO WORK ON THE KNOWN ISSUES WE HAVE NOW

fix the god damn abbot

moonprophet
09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
YOUR innability to complete a quest as easily as you would like to does not make it broken. There is NOTHING wrong with the abbott. Thank god it is not like the Reaver which allows 3/4ths of the raid party to go afk and surf the web through 90% of it.

alchilito
09-25-2008, 01:36 AM
YOUR innability to complete a quest as easily as you would like to does not make it broken. There is NOTHING wrong with the abbott. Thank god it is not like the Reaver which allows 3/4ths of the raid party to go afk and surf the web through 90% of it.

I am not going to argue with a guy that thanks a real life deity for being able to complete an on-line video game adventure.

lol

whorobbedme
07-01-2010, 08:03 AM
is there not a tread on some fourm where they anounce live events?
im going to try set up a big dance event, and call it "The Big Dance", where everyone can come and dance and loads a bards can play there music.

Missing_Minds
07-01-2010, 08:41 AM
is there not a tread on some fourm where they anounce live events?
im going to try set up a big dance event, and call it "The Big Dance", where everyone can come and dance and loads a bards can play there music.

Way to necro a 2 year old thread.

But if you are going to set up some event, the proper spot to announce such would be in the server area of the forums where you play.

Muldamai
07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
So ya
Thought ya
Might like to go to the show
To feel the warm thrill of confusion and
That space cadet glow
Tell me is something eluding you sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes?
You'll just have to claw your way through the Disguise
LIGHTS! ROLL THE SOUND EFFECTS! ACTION!!!

whorobbedme
07-01-2010, 10:44 AM
cool thanks for the pointer. see ya in Khyber